AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-14, 03:24   Link #21
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Yu Yu Hakusho had many aspects seen in Hunter x Hunter that made it rivettingly great. What I genuinely liked about Yu Yu Hakusho for one was the weird chemistry sparked between the Fantastic 4, that expands really well as the series progresses past the various arcs that made Yu Yu Hakusho famous (( Those 2 arcs in general... Yu Yu fans surely know what they are )) yet at the same time, there's something about the 4 of them that doesn't really change... the foreboding shadows will pick up just directly after where NoSanninWa is. IMO, I for one thought that Yu Yu Hakusho REALLY started picking up it's pace following the 4 Holy Beast Arc.

If there's one thing I didn't quite like about Yu Yu, it is that the freaking revelation kinda came out of nowhere. There were foreshadowings to it in the form of the most miniscule manner...but damn.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-15, 02:40   Link #22
D_Street

Spoiler for something? Probably end of Chapter Black:

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-01-18 at 03:33. Reason: some sort of spoiler
D_Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-15, 04:15   Link #23
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

How does WHO? I wonder if that question should be in a spoiler tag, but I haven't watched enough of the show to tell if it is a spoiler, or just incoherent confusion.

I just got to episode 24 and Yusuke had the most utterly bad-ass line, "I make no distinction about who comes to me for a fight, be they women, or old folks, or babies. I will face any sort of person in a fight!"

Cool line. Unfortunately in English his dialogue wasn't nearly as cool. In English he said, "She's a fighter and she's trying to get in our way. I don't care if she's a girl, or a baby, or somebody's grandmother; I'll still knock her out." It means mostly the same thing, but it just sounds practical instead of bad-ass.

It's awfully nice to watch some good shounen while both Naruto and Bleach are in filler hell.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-01-18 at 03:33.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-15, 05:27   Link #24
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Don't ask, NoSanninWa. There can be a lot of interpretation on who he's talking about, but it's semi-obvious he's refering to that particular person. If we want to be rhetorical...there's at least 3 candidates.

As for the question before... Don't look unless you want to be spoiled about Chapter Black....FAR beyond Episode 24.

Spoiler for Those who don't wish to be spoiled...don't look:

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-15, 12:15   Link #25
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It's awfully nice to watch some good shounen while both Naruto and Bleach are in filler hell.
Well if you ever get bored of YuYu you can also try out Flame of Recca. Pretty much the same thing except the hero is focused on a girl.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 00:58   Link #26
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I've already watched Flame of Recca and it is my favorite shounen without any contest. Heck, my avatar comes from the FoR manga. It is quite different from YuYu in my opinion, but I really don't see any need to discuss that.

Nightengale, thanks for using the spoiler tag. I won't look. Should I edit spoiler tags into his original post?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-11-16, 01:34   Link #27
TheRurouni

I'm glad you like Yu Yu Hakusho, definately one of my fav animes.

I'd go ahead and add spoiler tags to the original post..

(Ack i used to have an acct ages ago but guess it got deleted when forums crashed)

Last edited by TheRurouni; 2006-11-16 at 01:56.
TheRurouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 20:42   Link #28
Manga_Fan

oh whay dont they showthe show any more:'( ?
Manga_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-18, 03:57   Link #29
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
I've already watched Flame of Recca and it is my favorite shounen without any contest. Heck, my avatar comes from the FoR manga. It is quite different from YuYu in my opinion, but I really don't see any need to discuss that.
haha...So nice to see someones impressions so low in the episode count...

Flame of Recca should always be viewed second, but that's my perspective...Yours should be much more interesting...Too bad i can't experience it ...

There's also something else I'd like to say, but I don't even want to leave a breadcrumb of spoiler so I'll just say to the baka's out there, "Use your brains!"...
Old 2006-11-18, 04:31   Link #30
tritoch

Recca no hounou.. will spoil anyone who wants to Yu Yu Hakusho.. I mean, if you watched Recca no hounou first, ofcourse it'll make any series before Recca was made seem old. =p
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 01:26   Link #31
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Here's a line from episode 33 I feel required to share. Unlike the previous lines, this one is from the English DUB!

Yusuke: Who are you?
Rugby: Rugby.
Yusuke: What? Like the sport?
Rugby: I prefer to think of it more as an inpiration; the closest thing you modern humans have to recreational pain.

The Japanese sub didn't have dialogue anything at all like that. Actually the sub track for that line was an extremely boring introduction. I'm not sure if I'm horrified that the dub took such dramatic liberties, or just amused by their joke. It is a little interesting though that we ignore all the silly names in anime, but the dub writer felt that they needed to explain why his name was Rugby.

Old 2006-11-20, 06:36   Link #32
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Here's a line from episode 33 I feel required to share. Unlike the previous lines, this one is from the English DUB!

Yusuke: Who are you?
Rugby: Rugby.
Yusuke: What? Like the sport?
Rugby: I prefer to think of it more as an inpiration; the closest thing you modern humans have to recreational pain.

The Japanese sub didn't have dialogue anything at all like that. Actually the sub track for that line was an extremely boring introduction. I'm not sure if I'm horrified that the dub took such dramatic liberties, or just amused by their joke. It is a little interesting though that we ignore all the silly names in anime, but the dub writer felt that they needed to explain why his name was Rugby.
Yeah I agree with you. But Also at the same time, there are fansubs that acctually do explain these things. In my opinion its just base on how fansubers decide to translate. Yu Yu Hakusu was one of my first ( from Cartoon network) animes that i watched and i loved it . Well I believe they stoped showing it just about before Yusku fighting against that former detective.

Would any one know around what episode was that?.
Old 2006-11-20, 20:25   Link #33
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Yeah I agree with you. But Also at the same time, there are fansubs that acctually do explain these things. In my opinion its just base on how fansubers decide to translate. Yu Yu Hakusu was one of my first ( from Cartoon network) animes that i watched and i loved it . Well I believe they stoped showing it just about before Yusku fighting against that former detective.

Would any one know around what episode was that?.

It begins at about episode 79...Cartoon Network's Toonami version butchered the hell outta the show..You should watch the Uncut version which is much better with some harsher dialouge in alot of places...Sensui vs. Yusuke uncut is a completley different fight....

@NSW - I'm not sure how you are watching it, but if you are watching the Japanese version and the english version at the EXACT SAME TIME, you are really opening the floodgates for contrast...I watched the full Japanese version, then the full Uncut english version...Side by Side they are different to varying degrees, but I never found the the uncut english to be particularily blatant in any area (But I did watch the fansubs-edit and never the Funimation DVD-edit..unfortuntley I had to watch the almost insufferable HK-version for the last 30 + eps of my Japanese run, so I do endorse the english dub)...
Old 2006-11-21, 00:29   Link #34
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
@NSW - I'm not sure how you are watching it, but if you are watching the Japanese version and the english version at the EXACT SAME TIME, you are really opening the floodgates for contrast...I watched the full Japanese version, then the full Uncut english version...Side by Side they are different to varying degrees, but I never found the the uncut english to be particularily blatant in any area (But I did watch the fansubs-edit and never the Funimation DVD-edit..unfortuntley I had to watch the almost insufferable HK-version for the last 30 + eps of my Japanese run, so I do endorse the english dub)...
I'm mostly watching it in Japanese with (Japanese version) subtitles, though periodically I switch on the English dub while leaving the subtitled Japanese on the screen. And sometimes I see something interesting while watching the Japanese so I rewind and switch to English to see how it was dubbed. BTW, I really hate hearing Mask's voice dubbed because her Japanese voice is incredibly sexy.
Spoiler for episode 36:

Old 2006-11-21, 04:19   Link #35
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
It begins at about episode 79...Cartoon Network's Toonami version butchered the hell outta the show..You should watch the Uncut version which is much better with some harsher dialouge in alot of places...Sensui vs. Yusuke uncut is a completley different fight....

Hey thanks alot Wing . I was planning to watch it , but i have final exams for Bio, Chem and Calc2 in 3 weeks so for now i have no free time . As soon as i am done with it i am gona be active in forums more often and finish watching Yu Yu Hakusu.

Quote:
I'm mostly watching it in Japanese with (Japanese version) subtitles, though periodically I switch on the English dub while leaving the subtitled Japanese on the screen. And sometimes I see something interesting while watching the Japanese so I rewind and switch to English to see how it was dubbed. BTW, I really hate hearing Mask's voice dubbed because her Japanese voice is incredibly sexy.
Spoiler for episode 36:
Ah thats what you were doing . I some times do that too. Like with Fruit basket, some times subtitles and Dubs are completely diffrent. I must say many times i thought subtitiles made more sense and also some times the Dub version. I am guessing that the subtitile for the Yu Yu Hakusu ( i havent seen it yet) hasnt been done in the best way they could be, and thats why you are going back and forth.
Old 2006-11-21, 04:49   Link #36
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Ah thats what you were doing . I some times do that too. Like with Fruit basket, some times subtitles and Dubs are completely diffrent. I must say many times i thought subtitiles made more sense and also some times the Dub version. I am guessing that the subtitile for the Yu Yu Hakusu ( i havent seen it yet) hasnt been done in the best way they could be, and thats why you are going back and forth.
Yep, you know exactly what I'm doing. That's what prompted me to start checking out the dub and causes many (not all) of my switches to dub. The subs for YuYu are usually passable, but they do sometimes fall down on the job a little bit. It really makes me wish that I was watching the fansub so that I'd get a bit more quality.

wingdarkness: You said you were watching the fansubs. How were they?
(Not that I'm likely to be able to find those anymore...)

Old 2006-11-21, 05:11   Link #37
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Yep, you know exactly what I'm doing. That's what prompted me to start checking out the dub and causes many (not all) of my switches to dub. The subs for YuYu are usually passable, but they do sometimes fall down on the job a little bit. It really makes me wish that I was watching the fansub so that I'd get a bit more quality.

I thought there were only the DVD rip stuff for Yu Yu Hakusho. And most of the Fansubs stoped around episode 38. Well thats what i thought based on Anibd.
Old 2006-11-21, 18:55   Link #38
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:

Yeah they probably don't exist anymore...Dude before I knew about bittorrent and everything else I used to buy streamload accounts (20 bucks a month for like 10 gigs of anime) and that's how I got all the YuYu eps I had...During the middle of the Dark tournament arc the good fansubs just dissapeared and I had to watch the horribly-worded, yet visually better HK-rips (although every now and then I'd Morpheus-up a fansub or 2 that I had no idea where it came from -- one from some hawaii group even)...But the orginal fansubs from the group that escapes me were really good...The first 40 plus eps were from that group...
Old 2006-11-22, 07:07   Link #39
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

The Uraotogi Team?! Hee-hee. I'm at episode 44 and the Uraotogi Team has just introduced themselves. I haven't yet stopped laughing. I just love the concept.

It's a shame that there aren't fansubs of these episodes because the tl notes would be fun. Unfortunately the commercial release just lets the viewer either get or not get the jokes all on their own. Sadly I suspect that many people who watched YuYu Hakusho didn't understand that this is the "backwards fairy tale" team.

Okay, I'll admit that I only get the names Kuromomotaro, Makintaro and Uraurashima. Perhaps I'll understand the meaning of the other two members (Shishiwakamaru and Onji) once they get to fight. According the the promo, Kuromomotaro is going to be fighting with kibidango in the next episode. Of course Black Motaro would fight with kibidango! That's so funny that I can't wait!

Old 2006-11-22, 15:40   Link #40
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

So you probably noticed how the show is now a battle royale with an underlining subplot of interest...No more searching for items and solving demonic mysteries...The show will shift dynamics again then again which is why I love this show so much...It isn't just fight your opponent or building to fight the main baddy, it's so much more...The subsequent arcs will add intelligent analysis and incredible mind games to the prospect of fighting and engage your moral template...the jaded irony you'll find is beyond excellent IMO...I'd love to watch the show thru your eyes right now to see if you like what i like...

I'm curious to whether or not you like the nuaince in this series when it comes to the openings and endings?? One thing I used to always love about this show is how each episode ends with a visual portrait of what's to come with that awesome anticipation music...BLEACH tries to do this sometimes but it's not as rich...That type of expressionism really amps you up to watch the next ep, and the narrator just breaks it down perfectly....Obviously the openings kick a$$...The Japanese versions beat Funimation completley...

Tags
shounen