AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Chrno Crusade

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2003-11-29, 18:30   Link #141
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Could we get this thread back on topic, i.e. Discussion of Chrno Crusade.

Come on everyone, please stop all the whining and critisism about fansubs in general. I'll start deleting posts that aren't on topic otherwise.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 18:50   Link #142
Snuble07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
I kinda gave up on it 5 minutes into it. Just wasn't in that mood. I'm more into more serious anime regardless...
Snuble07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 23:06   Link #143
LeiMagusIII
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
I hope this anime goes to 26 episodes. I can't see them cramming everything into 13 episodes. Especially if the plan on introducing Stella and Asmaria.

Great first episode though. I liked how they had the GeoBreeders BG music playing in the background.

But like everyone said, I'll stick with it before making a final judgement. If I had put Maburaho off after the first episode (Like I did with Gilgamesh) I would've missed out.
LeiMagusIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 00:03   Link #144
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiMagusIII
But like everyone said, I'll stick with it before making a final judgement. If I had put Maburaho off after the first episode (Like I did with Gilgamesh) I would've missed out.
Or... Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, where after 1 episode people were all dismissing it as another shallow high school romance based on another crummy "h-game"... My my, how they all were force to swallow their own words after they saw the second ep...

I predict a similar outcome with this series.
__________________
Copyright 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 00:33   Link #145
nojevo
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Isla del Encanto
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiMagusIII
I hope this anime goes to 26 episodes. I can't see them cramming everything into 13 episodes. Especially if the plan on introducing Stella and Asmaria.

Great first episode though. I liked how they had the GeoBreeders BG music playing in the background.

But like everyone said, I'll stick with it before making a final judgement. If I had put Maburaho off after the first episode (Like I did with Gilgamesh) I would've missed out.
Well i dont think Gonzo will cram everything into 13 episode, judging by the first episode, they have a good pace in the plot and it doesnt feel rushed like some certain series (Ikkitousen for one). I really enjoyed the first episode and i'm looking forward to the rest of it. Ohh btw hope u picked up Gilgamesh again cuz i'm enjoying it. Its one interesting show to watch
nojevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 01:16   Link #146
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Age: 40
I said "meh" when I saw the first ep... it seemed to have a lot derived from previous animes: Dirty Pair (it wasn't our fault!), Excel Saga (main character), Puchi Puri (Chrno looks and acts like Cube), kickass nuns with guns (lots of animes).

But with such a big reaction here to quality of the file, and a big following of the manga...

I guess I should give it some more episode chances. The art on the OP and END was excellent, along with the mecha on the guns and car.

-k
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 02:51   Link #147
yoursurrogategod
Token Black Fansubber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 34
Send a message via ICQ to yoursurrogategod Send a message via AIM to yoursurrogategod Send a message via Yahoo to yoursurrogategod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune~Grey
Onto a different topic of conversation...
Satella Harvenheit
(Speaking in the capacity as the editor for Anime-Kraze's Chrno Crusade)
I lobbied to have Satella's name changed to "Stella" because to me it made more sense, but one of our translators pointed out that the named would have been romanzied as "Sutella". And since people tend to be horrible stickler for whatever silly thing they see in the opening or on the show itself. Even though many times the Japanese creator intended the English name we changed it to...and just messed up in the conversion...anyways...
So for us, even though I think "Stella" is a better choice...will be using Satella. -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune~Grey
Aion - ...Aion? When its spelled phonetically, perhaps, but... Ion is an actual word. And Ion is not made of love~ >.>
In the case of Aion, I was fine with the name presented in the first episode and the preview.

"aion" is the greek word for 'eternity' or 'age'. It's where the word 'eon' derived from. I feel Aion taken in that context has a more supernatural connotation than Ion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune~Grey
Johua Christopher - Again, an actual name - Joshua.
Now this is the funny one.

A couple of days before the first episode premiered, GONZO released a small preview for the series. In the preview, WHICH WAS FROM GONZO THEMSELVES, his name was listed as "Joshua Christopher".

For a shot from the preview:
http://www.anime-kraze.net/runpsicat/joshua.bmp

Now, fast-forward a couple days, and there in the opening for the first episode is "Johua Christpher". O_O

Now, seeing as Rosette name is shown in the preview and the opening (in the flash of words before the title appears, try loading it in Virtual Dub and going frame by frame) as "Rosette ChristOpher" and seeing that Joshua is her brother...one has to assume there's some discrepancy going on here.

So:

Preview spellings: "Rosette Christopher" and "Joshua"

Opening spellings: "Rosette Christopher" and "Johua Christpher"

I think one can most likely go with the lesser of two evils and stick with "Joshua Christopher".

This is my life, trying to make names make sense.

Last edited by yoursurrogategod; 2003-11-30 at 03:13.
yoursurrogategod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 05:30   Link #148
Rune~Grey
Token Crusade Fan
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Somewhere West of the Sunset
As I commented, it seems that the creators of this series spent very little time on the actual romanizations - its probably been the only low point for my series, when they are throwing in things like this and yet not actually achieving any consistancy with it. Ultimately, I think that its going to come down to how they actually pronounce it in the series - if they're going to go so far as to pronounce Stella's name as Satella (Sa-Tell-a) then I can see that spelling being reasonable - until then... I know my Italian, and I know which of these two spellings is an actual word and name, and which seems to be the error. ^^

As for Aion... personally, it could go either way, simply because Aion (as a greek work for time) or Ion (as the particle and action) both carry some signifigance to the character -
Spoiler:


So this perticular section seems really sloppy to me, which is a bit disappointing - I'm actually hoping its corrected in the opening at some point. But I certainly don't envy you that job of trying to make everything make sense, surrogategod. This is just my interpretation as to why I thought the names were rather off - if you think its reason enough to make a change - great! If not- its the differences in translation that's part of the reason I'm waiting on Wolfpack as well as Kraze's version in the weeks to come. ^_^
__________________
~Perpetual Thorn of Logic and Reason~
Rune~Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 06:39   Link #149
Togabito_Ion
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Age: 35
I've got a lot to say on this post.

First to the first impressions of this series:

Dude, do you guys understand that the first episode of a series is NOT going to reveal all the cards played? And ESPECIALLY anything by Moriyama. He takes his time in playing these cards (if it's a matter of say, it takes SIX VOLUMES of the manga to learn about Chrno's past! SIX.)- the truth will be told when the time comes. However... Until then, you will get a lot of ups and downs. This series is really dark, with a very dark theme going to it. While the humor is an excellent distraction, this series really isn't the world's happiest out there. Trust me on that.

Themage notes with plenty of spoiler-action. If you don't want a major chunk of the series spoiled... well... then don't read. :3

Spoiler:


Now, for the next argument of the day.... Names.

I knew this was going to come up. This is the lovely, inevitable argument on the name spelling. Ah yes... @.@;;

Well, allow me to start off immediately. Moriyama can't use English (or German) to save his life. Trust me. After fussing with Stella's German dialogue throughout the acts of vol 3 that I took part in 'scanslating', I could tell you all about it. X.x;;; That's for another story though.

With WPP and whatnot, I've also made the lobby to keep Stella as Stella. Reasons stated as below in the spoilers yet again.

Spoiler:


Also, as Rune Grey pointed out, that both workings of the names 'Aion' and 'Ion' work very well. However, I'm very partial to the preffix and suffix portion, personally, but that's because both of those very well not only define the personalities of the characters, but even the styles of the characters themselves. When working on the scanslations, I never thought of even seeing the name as 'Aion'. The only time I really thought of something different, was when I found http://www.pandaemonium.net sometime ago in the past, and saw this written there :: アイオーン(Aeon) -, That's the only spelling I would have seen personally from anything different. That's for another note.

Also note, at the time of the scanslations, 'Ion' was chosen for the fact that there was no romanized spelling of the name. Kind of like how KSS seemed content with using the name 'Fiole' for her name. I've also seen Fiore, Phiore, Phiole, etc etc... Much like with Joshua. Josua, Joshue, Josue....

I am led to believe that there is a relation between the names 'Rosette' and 'Joshua' for personal reasons as well, though I'm still looking to find just what it is. That's for another time.

Nevertheless... There's also the statement about the author's original intent of the names. I can also state at the moment, that Moriyama does not spell Rosette as 'Rosette'. Rotzeeto is his spelling of her name, using this image as proof of such. Also, this is the other half of said image, supporting the fact that it is likely that Moriyama spells her name as Asmaria rather than 'Azmaria'.

I'm quite firm on the belief that GONZO happens to also be changing the names from the original intent of them. Which means that there really doesn't seem to be an 'official' correct spelling of them, being that it looks like either neither can agree as well.

So... This is looking to be kind of a pointless argument. While I'm used to, and will likely be sticking with the manga versions of the names, everyone else has their own right as well. To be quite honest, I can say what the real names are... though most people wouldn't appreciate it, as they couldn't read the katakana. :3

ロゼット、クロノ、アズマリア、サテラ、アイオーン、フィオレ、and ヨシュア

:3

It's up to the reader to interpret the names as they see fit.
__________________
http://www.swordbreaker.com
http://togabito.org
::horn no nai akuma::
Togabito_Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 07:17   Link #150
yoursurrogategod
Token Black Fansubber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 34
Send a message via ICQ to yoursurrogategod Send a message via AIM to yoursurrogategod Send a message via Yahoo to yoursurrogategod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Togabito_Ion
Well, allow me to start off immediately. Moriyama can't use English (or German) to save his life. Trust me. After fussing with Stella's German dialogue throughout the acts of vol 3 that I took part in 'scanslating', I could tell you all about it. X.x;;; That's for another story though.

The only time I really thought of something different, was when I found http://www.pandaemonium.net sometime ago in the past, and saw this written there :: アイオーン(Aeon) -, That's the only spelling I would have seen personally from anything different. That's for another note.
Aeon was also one of the forms I was considering, seeing that in Gnostic religions, aeon is word that stands for facets of God. Jesus and Lucifer being classic examples of aeons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togabito_Ion
Well, allow me to start off immediately. Moriyama can't use English (or German) to save his life. Trust me. After fussing with Stella's German dialogue throughout the acts of vol 3 that I took part in 'scanslating', I could tell you all about it. X.x;;; That's for another story though.
And this is my point. It's not like there's an English speaker there to help the creator in spelling names. Telling me that any writer intend this or that unless you have an interview somewhere explicitly say so is complete crap. Like your English teacher telling you what Shakespeare meant when he whole Hamlet or something.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Togabito_Ion
With WPP and whatnot, I've also made the lobby to keep Stella as Stella. Reasons stated as below in the spoilers yet again.
That came to my attention before you mentioned it as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Togabito_Ion
Nevertheless... There's also the statement about the author's original intent of the names. I can also state at the moment, that Moriyama does not spell Rosette as 'Rosette'. Rotzeeto is his spelling of her name, using this image as proof of such. Also, this is the other half of said image, supporting the fact that it is likely that Moriyama spells her name as Asmaria rather than 'Azmaria'.
Where is that from? Insert in one of the manga...or a magazine? Cause it shall go into my evidence pile: "Japanese creators don't know English names, and animation production companies don't listen to manga creators." It would also make you my hero.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Togabito_Ion
ロゼット、クロノ、アズマリア、サテラ、アイオーン、フィオレ、and ヨシュア

:3
Punk. You don't know my pain. I had this self-same problem with Gundam Seed. >_<
yoursurrogategod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 07:35   Link #151
Don Eunuch
Lin Er
 
Join Date: May 2003
Are names worth fighting over?
Don Eunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 07:38   Link #152
yoursurrogategod
Token Black Fansubber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 34
Send a message via ICQ to yoursurrogategod Send a message via AIM to yoursurrogategod Send a message via Yahoo to yoursurrogategod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Eunuch
Are names worth fighting over?
Seeing as many people will completely pass over a better fansub if the names aren't *official*, then to a fansubber...yes.
yoursurrogategod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 08:55   Link #153
Rune~Grey
Token Crusade Fan
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Somewhere West of the Sunset
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoursurrogategod
Seeing as many people will completely pass over a better fansub if the names aren't *official*, then to a fansubber...yes.
I would also question if this was actually fighting - wouldn't this better qualify as an energetic artistic discussion at this point? I know that I certainly wasn't aiming for any hart feelings with my post. ^^ But it tends to come down to more of a 'do you want to translate literally, or do you want to go for what would appear to be the intent of the author' of this piece of work.

Speaking of Gundam SEED and names, need I mention the little mess that took place with how you were supposed to spell 'Orb'? Which jumped around for several groups over a few episodes because of a single billboard that happened to spell it as 'Aube' suddenly being proclaimed gospel? ^^

I believe that the insert that Ion posted up are from an issue of Dragon Comic, although which one I couldn't tell you for the life of me - but Ion can probably ramble it off the top of his head. ^^
__________________
~Perpetual Thorn of Logic and Reason~
Rune~Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 09:15   Link #154
yoursurrogategod
Token Black Fansubber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 34
Send a message via ICQ to yoursurrogategod Send a message via AIM to yoursurrogategod Send a message via Yahoo to yoursurrogategod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune~Grey
I would also question if this was actually fighting - wouldn't this better qualify as an energetic artistic discussion at this point? I know that I certainly wasn't aiming for any hart feelings with my post. ^^ But it tends to come down to more of a 'do you want to translate literally, or do you want to go for what would appear to be the intent of the author' of this piece of work.
True. This is more of a discussion, cause in the end many things will never change. This is almost an interesting enough discussion for it's own thread.
yoursurrogategod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 22:47   Link #155
corp20
Internet God
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stop spamming from my closet!!!!!
Age: 27
I just got done with watching the first eps. And I thought it was good. I can't wait to see more of it.
__________________
All you need is love and I'm the one to give it to you.
Ahhhh Fan service....... mans true best friend.
"The road to knighthood is paved with nobility and virtue, not LSD and sideburns"
I'm like a rubics cube. The more you play with me the harder I get.
Sex... Ask for more.
Ah yes, the often ignored eleventh commandment:
"Thou shalt not clubbeth the pooh out of cute baby seals"
corp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-01, 02:10   Link #156
Diedrupo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Personally I thought the show was crap. Hey now I like nuns (in a sexual fetish manner) like the rest of ya'll, but this show is just like Hellsing and all the other crappy "monster of the week" shows before it, only it stars an incompetent machine gun-toting nun and her demonboy sidekick.

But Gonzo's high quality animation makes the show watchable (unlike Hellsing). And Rosette is mega cute. Still though, I doubt I will watch any more episodes unless they contain lesbian action or fanservice not involving knee-high bloomers.

(if you got the impression that i'm a pervert from the above, you are correct, however for the record, I simply prefer more mind-stimulation anime like kiminozo, tsukihime, and general slice of life shows over action ilk).
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-01, 02:15   Link #157
corp20
Internet God
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stop spamming from my closet!!!!!
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo
Personally I thought the show was crap. Hey now I like nuns (in a sexual fetish manner) like the rest of ya'll, but this show is just like Hellsing and all the other crappy "monster of the week" shows before it, only it stars an incompetent machine gun-toting nun and her demonboy sidekick.

But Gonzo's high quality animation makes the show watchable (unlike Hellsing). And Rosette is mega cute. Still though, I doubt I will watch any more episodes unless they contain lesbian action or fanservice not involving knee-high bloomers.

(if you got the impression that i'm a pervert from the above, you are correct, however for the record, I simply prefer more mind-stimulation anime like kiminozo, tsukihime, and general slice of life shows over action ilk).
I was going to watch it...... if they do start having lesbian action or fanservice I will be looking forward to new eps.
__________________
All you need is love and I'm the one to give it to you.
Ahhhh Fan service....... mans true best friend.
"The road to knighthood is paved with nobility and virtue, not LSD and sideburns"
I'm like a rubics cube. The more you play with me the harder I get.
Sex... Ask for more.
Ah yes, the often ignored eleventh commandment:
"Thou shalt not clubbeth the pooh out of cute baby seals"
corp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-01, 02:20   Link #158
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere in Hawaii
jesus christ if you guys want more fanservice go watch ikktousen or other fanservice sex perverted shows. I hope their isn't more fanservice in this show cause it would ruined the overall mood of it. From ep1 this show is perfect how it is just the way I like it.
__________________
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-01, 02:59   Link #159
Rune~Grey
Token Crusade Fan
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Somewhere West of the Sunset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
jesus christ if you guys want more fanservice go watch ikktousen or other fanservice sex perverted shows. I hope their isn't more fanservice in this show cause it would ruined the overall mood of it. From ep1 this show is perfect how it is just the way I like it.
There is a bit of fanservice in Crusade, from the manga... is there tons and tons? No - its doesn't need the fanservice to keep people interested, although its a Shounen series published in Dragon Comic. So there will be some, for those of you who are really into that sort of thing.

I do have to wonder... how many people have read back into this thread? Because the Hellsing compairison keeps popping up, without a lot of support to it (after all, one episode is hardly an excellent way to judge a series. How can you say its like Hellsing from one episode? How do you think its like Hellsing?) As I've commented, I think the series overall is the exact opposite of Hellsing. ~.~
__________________
~Perpetual Thorn of Logic and Reason~
Rune~Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-01, 03:08   Link #160
Tomomi
chrno fangal
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune~Grey
I do have to wonder... how many people have read back into this thread? Because the Hellsing compairison keeps popping up, without a lot of support to it (after all, one episode is hardly an excellent way to judge a series. How can you say its like Hellsing from one episode? How do you think its like Hellsing?) As I've commented, I think the series overall is the exact opposite of Hellsing. ~.~
Me. And I hope Chrno Crusade is not like Hellsing! No offense to Hellsing fans or anything, but I dun quite like Hellsing. Sounds kinda insane to me. Or maybe someone can prove me wrong?
__________________

We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal...
Tomomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.