AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-26, 00:19   Link #21
Suikun

I am freakishly obsessed with this song. I mean, I've just watched the promo about 10 times in a row just to hear it.
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 00:42   Link #22
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

If you love the song in the fafner preview, you'll definitely love the Stellvia songs ("tomorrow's brilliant road" and "the end of the world")

currently I like that long black hair girl design most... the others are just too similar to Gundam SEED designs (when I first watched the preview, I thought "What the heck is Miriallia doing here?" )
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 03:50   Link #23
Kensuke

According to Animenewsnetworks site character designer is Hisashi Hirai, who indeed did characters to Gundam Seed like Soulfang said in the first post, and he also did characters to Infinite Ryvius and Scryed, so similarities are not coincidences. Fans of those series must be pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthriel
I know, shounen is written 少年 after all (this Jukugo seems so odd to me, it's easy to remember). What I meant is, most (that is every, except for one) characters seem to be quite female to me, however, that many female characters seem unlikely, so some of them will have to be bishounen.
Okay, I just wondered when you said that there are many bishounens but no males.
Atleast the main character is male (naturally...) according to Tellu54's plot summary.
"To live" and "run away from now" sounds a lot like NGE, similar to Shinji's "I must not run away" in reverse, and that he first found reason to live when piloting Eva.
I just hope that this series will not be another disappointment.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 05:08   Link #24
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
I am freakishly obsessed with this song. I mean, I've just watched the promo about 10 times in a row just to hear it.
It's actually already been released. Obviously by angela... the song was released in May, if I'm not wrong. I have it ;x

I'm not very interested in this anime myself but I suppose I'll just try for the heck of it... seems pretty bland.... whatever.
Old 2004-06-29, 20:43   Link #25
JediNight
キズランダム

Random errata about Fafnir:

The great worm who, in the Old German Tale of the Volsungs, guards the treasures of light, and is slain by Sigurd.

So I assume there will be numerous other references to Norse mythology in this series as well.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 21:54   Link #26
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Send a message via AIM to Uska Send a message via Yahoo to Uska
And i'm actually pretty sure it's Fafnir and not Fafner...well I mailed Xebec about that. I guess we'll find out soon.
Old 2004-06-29, 22:13   Link #27
Strato
Sunshine-Rainbows

It's Fafner because:

a) The show uses the German spelling "Siegfried" instead of the Norse spelling "Sigurd."
b) The Fafner in the show is referred to as a "giant" which is a refers to the giant brothers Fafner and Fasolt in Wagner's "The Ring of the Nibelung."
c) The show makes a reference to Neidhoehle, a German word, which is the name of Fafner's cave found in "The Ring of the Nibelung."

Wagner's version of the story uses such spellings as Fafner instead of Fafnir, Freia instead of Freya, and Siegmund instead of Sigmund.
Strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 12:14   Link #28
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

At this moment it could be either. Xebec also used Fafnir in all their links in their site. And I beleive fafner.jp isn't owned by Xebec...Well just gotta wait for the reply on that e-mail. Remember also that the japanese like wierd spelling for their stuff, don't be all too sure of which it is(I even use both Fafnir and Fafner when refering to it from time to time). Remember in Gundam SEED how a lot of names kinda were Japanese...like Tohru, I've seen it spelled like that a bunch of times, yet officially to the company it was Tohlle. Well it's clear SOMEBODY got confused in the spelling, Xebec Fafnir, star child Fafner...... wonder who it was..

Oh yea and-
a) The show uses the German spelling "Siegfried" instead of the Norse spelling "Sigurd." <-- where did you see the Siegfried spelling? I looked all over the promo and didn't see it .

Last edited by Uska; 2004-06-30 at 12:26.
Uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 19:49   Link #29
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uska
And I beleive fafner.jp isn't owned by Xebec...
fafner.jp is the official website for the anime... So I think it's certain that its the official spelling. It's a domain after all, and that's a bit different from some subdirectory names in an amateurish website like Xebec's.

Quote:
Remember also that the japanese like wierd spelling for their stuff, don't be all too sure of which it is(I even use both Fafnir and Fafner when refering to it from time to time). Remember in Gundam SEED how a lot of names kinda were Japanese...like Tohru, I've seen it spelled like that a bunch of times, yet officially to the company it was Tohlle. Well it's clear SOMEBODY got confused in the spelling, Xebec Fafnir, star child Fafner...... wonder who it was..
"Tohru" was never an official spelling. The katakana is "To-ru" which has no problem being romanized to "Tolle" which is the official spelling. It's not like his last name in which the katakana is "Ke-nihi" is Japanese, so "To-ru" was never intended to be a Japanese name.
Old 2004-07-01, 00:05   Link #30
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
fafner.jp is the official website for the anime... So I think it's certain that its the official spelling. It's a domain after all, and that's a bit different from some subdirectory names in an amateurish website like Xebec's.

"Tohru" was never an official spelling. The katakana is "To-ru" which has no problem being romanized to "Tolle" which is the official spelling. It's not like his last name in which the katakana is "Ke-nihi" is Japanese, so "To-ru" was never intended to be a Japanese name.
My point to begin with is that if they messed this one up it would be the first anime of theirs they actually mispell the official name. It IS the production company after all, so either one would be right(or wrong) till either I get an e-mail from Xebec back, or till we actually see romanization on the site or the anime itself, and the domain, well what I say all along is that it's either Xebec or the ppl that made the site that made the "error".
And I never said that Tohru was the official spelling, it's just that in most places it's officially spelled Tohru or Toru :P
Old 2004-07-01, 02:23   Link #31
EclipseZeta
Solar Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uska
My point to begin with is that if they messed this one up it would be the first anime of theirs they actually mispell the official name. It IS the production company after all, so either one would be right(or wrong) till either I get an e-mail from Xebec back, or till we actually see romanization on the site or the anime itself, and the domain, well what I say all along is that it's either Xebec or the ppl that made the site that made the "error".
And I never said that Tohru was the official spelling, it's just that in most places it's officially spelled Tohru or Toru :P
What places officially spell it as Tohru or Toru? You mean fansites? Because that's not the official spelling for that character as given by Bandai, nor is it the spelling that any of the fansubbers used when they were working on Gundam SEED. Perhaps you failed to recognize that Tolle from Gundam SEED has his name spelled トール in katakana while if it was Tohru, like the girl from Fruits Basket, it would've been spelled とおる in hiragana or with some kanji.

But anywho, my guess is that it's Fafner. If it was spelled Fafnir, I would suspect that it would be pronounced ファフニール (Fafniiru) instead of ファフナー (Fafner) just like the word "gungnir" is pronounced グングニール (gungniiru) instead of グングナー(gungner). Who knows though... all I hope is that the names don't have weird illogical spellings like Gundam SEED did. -_-
EclipseZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-01, 12:17   Link #32
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseZeta
What places officially spell it as Tohru or Toru? You mean fansites? Because that's not the official spelling for that character as given by Bandai, nor is it the spelling that any of the fansubbers used when they were working on Gundam SEED. Perhaps you failed to recognize that Tolle from Gundam SEED has his name spelled トール in katakana while if it was Tohru, like the girl from Fruits Basket, it would've been spelled とおる in hiragana or with some kanji.

But anywho, my guess is that it's Fafner. If it was spelled Fafnir, I would suspect that it would be pronounced ファフニール (Fafniiru) instead of ファフナー (Fafner) just like the word "gungnir" is pronounced グングニール (gungniiru) instead of グングナー(gungner). Who knows though... all I hope is that the names don't have weird illogical spellings like Gundam SEED did. -_-
I didn't say Bandai I said other places!! Does my post specifically say "I saw Gundam SEED's Official Spelling be Tohru"????

Either way, when I saw Fafnir I didn't think the pronounciation was Faf-neer, and if the correct european pronounciatiomn it Faf-neer then i'll go ahead and say Xebec made the error, but as with a lot of spelling and prnounciation crap(especially coming from Japanese and romaniation), I consider that theres more than one pronounciation....or spelling :P
Old 2004-07-02, 23:00   Link #33
wao
OK.

AH, for god's sake if you can't decide then call it Dead Aggressor, that's the alternative (English) title given on the official webpage. Why? I don't know (It has nothing to do with the meaning of Soukyuu no Fafner, I think), but if you're all so anal about spelling...
Old 2004-07-03, 00:11   Link #34
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
AH, for god's sake if you can't decide then call it Dead Aggressor, that's the alternative (English) title given on the official webpage. Why? I don't know (It has nothing to do with the meaning of Soukyuu no Fafner, I think), but if you're all so anal about spelling...

LOL GOOD POINT!
Old 2004-07-04, 11:10   Link #35
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

FINALLY, some closure. I got ahold of a promo that said the official name was Fafner in the Azure. Damn Xebec webmasters for making me so confused!! ><
Old 2004-07-04, 20:01   Link #36
Soulfang
ハロー!

Well you guys who love the song are out of luck. It turns out the song isn't the OP or ED in this anime. The opening is "Shangri-La" by angela, and the ending is "Separation" by angela.
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 21:01   Link #37
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

The raws are already available.

One question here: is this series following a schedule like Samurai 7 (i.e. 2 episodes per month)? The raws are for the first two episodes.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 21:49   Link #38
Soulfang
ハロー!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
The raws are already available.

One question here: is this series following a schedule like Samurai 7 (i.e. 2 episodes per month)? The raws are for the first two episodes.
No. This was a special on TV Tokyo to kick off the series.
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 09:26   Link #39
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
Well you guys who love the song are out of luck. It turns out the song isn't the OP or ED in this anime. The opening is "Shangri-La" by angela, and the ending is "Separation" by angela.
well, as long as they are angela's songs at the same standard of Tomorrow's Brilliant Road and The End of The World, I will be happy.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 09:45   Link #40
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

I actually like Shangri-la better than Fly me to the Sky