AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-07-06, 14:29   Link #61
Jilkon
SD Translator

Look at the island <.< it's freaking beautiful.. they'd probably call it paradise even if it weren't called that. I haven't seen the first eps yet but I dunno.. I thought Stellvia took a while to get started too. Since I have a whole lot of hd space at the moment I think I'll follow Fafner even if it turns out not-so-good xP. (I like most mecha though, so it's not like I'll dislike Fafner because of small details).
Jilkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 15:03   Link #62
Tellu54
Banned

The island's name, the big one anyway, is Tatsumiyajima.
"Paradise" is just a figure of speech.
Tellu54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 15:17   Link #63
TronDD
Team the box!

I think they must be wolves.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 15:45   Link #64
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
I think they must be wolves.
Yes, eversince I saw Wolf's Rain, "rakuen" has deeper meaning to me. ^^

And that line in Fafner episode 1 when Kazuki said "Where are we going?" and Soushi answered "To paradise."

I was like, what does he mean? But that sounds cool. ^^;;
Old 2004-07-06, 18:32   Link #65
UssoKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilkon
Look at the island <.< it's freaking beautiful.. they'd probably call it paradise even if it weren't called that. .
Ooh, I know. I haven't seen such a beautiful setting since that little European seaside village in D.N.Angel.

Anyway, parts I liked were:

Death! I was really surprised. I mean, who kills off people in the first episode? I felt really sorry for Fafner's designated pilot, the girl with the glasses. She looked really sweet
Spoiler:
. I'd actually rather have her and the pilot than the Athrun look-alike. (Who's name I haven't learned yet, OK? ^_^)

Oh, one more thing: Didn't the villagers seem really prepared for this? Like they knew they'd be targeted. I didn't hear/see any screaming or panic. And they're also isolated from the rest of Japan as well, so no outside help!!
UssoKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 18:32   Link #66
Soulfang
ハロー!

Maya now is Dorothy from the Big O.
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 18:37   Link #67
UssoKK

Oh, yeah! I just noticed that. I guess that replaces her previous status as Mirallia's twin sister.

Oh, and although Aoi-Anime's translation was good, there was just one thing they could have translated better. "Everyone, escape" was better as "Everyone, eject.". But I'm just nitpicking.
UssoKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 18:37   Link #68
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Bah. Just watched the first episode and I can see no originality steming from this series whatsoever. Within the first 30 seconds I immediately thought "Gundam Seed", and every character looks like some GS look-alike. The protaganist looks so much like Kira its not even funny. Then the whole 'become one with your mech', and the quaint little town with gargantuan defenses that are like toys before a giant unknown assailant screamed out "Eva". Not to mention that everything in the first episode was happening so fast I was constantly like "What? What? What?". The dialogue just felt way too rushed and things were moving at the speed of light.

I'll give this series another 2-3 episodes to prove itself, but I have high doubts for it. I'll just re-watch Gundam Seed instead.

Hero of Allacrost, a free 2D RPG in development.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 19:13   Link #69
Kiro
chocolate overdose

ok, that first episode was one weird trip. the first 20 seconds almost made me stop playing and deleting the file. thinking something like: "oh no, mecha action - me don't like mecha - and a random mecha pilot character who doesn't look very well designed" - but i did watch the ep to the end.

while i think that the way they draw the characters is something, that some viewers will have to get used to and that the character/story-design isn't exactly, what you call new/creative/innovative, i must admit that there is something in this series, that makes me want to watch it.

the animation is definately above average. i hope this wasn't just to impress viewers for the first episode and we're not going to see anything good in the comings eps, but those animations where really really good imho. sometimes, the grade of detail was just astounding. they fully rendered that scene, where that blond-haired guy (who returned from tokyo) just looks at an old picture of his family. all that for a scene that lasted only around 1 second. the soundtrack got me too.

and for some kind of reason, i like the fast start. they're getting straight to the point of this series and don't confuse with too much riddles (like bee train does it for example -> madlax!). while i think, that not every main character should have nerves of steel and a healthy state of mind, i'm kinda glad, that we didn't have to hear the whinings of someone like shinji from evangelion. (or for stellvia, it was the female main protagonist. oh, i really hated her!)
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 19:13   Link #70
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I'm not very sure since I haven't watched it yet, but I think the name of that island is something like Ryukujima (dragon palace island)?
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 19:15   Link #71
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UssoKK
Death! I was really surprised. I mean, who kills off people in the first episode?
Yeah I was really surprised too, it seems in this series the characters are not invincible, people can die in here. But an interesting thing is that it makes new plots for other characters
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-06, 19:21   Link #72
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Having watched the first two episodes left me with mixed feelings about this series.

The goods:
The anime crew is able to come up with some very good pieces of animation. Unfortunately there is only one but it left a deep impression on me. When Kazuki was leaving his home in ep1, the viewpoint switched to looking at the picture of the young him and his mother. The panning around the picture was very fluid and outstanding. I had hoped that there'll be other displays of equal capability or better, unfortunately not in the first two episodes. Hopefully it'll be more in the following episodes.

The bads:
I think someone already mentioned about the lines below the eyes... Yes, they do affect me as well... Perhaps its their effect that makes me feel the character designs seem out of place with the whole background graphics, like as if the characters are in one dimension while the rest of the world is in another (they don't mesh well). Quite distracting.

Personally I feel the seiyu for Kazuki does not fit his appearance. Not really sure why, just an irrational emotion perhaps. But when he speaks, it felt kinda weird for me...

Too much similarity with Evangelion. There's simply too much of it that one cannot help but compare it with Eva. The first two episodes' plots, backgrounds & scenes were just too similar. It felt like a plain copycat. Perhaps they are going with what Eva could have been if Eva took the pure action route. But as it is, this could change with future episodes (they could evolve it to something more). Right now, it simply smacks too much to make it a unique experience for those that had watched Eva or Raxhephon even.

Neutrals:
There are references to the opera "The Ring of the Niberlung" as expected from the title. Besides the names, Fafner's hand/lower arm interface is operated through the use of 5 rings in each limb. The island itself looks like a hand or a 5-toed dragon's footprint. Who knows what else they'll try to put into the anime. If done properly, this could turn it into something interesting.

Overall, I'm not too impressed over the first two episodes. But there's still plenty more to form a more solid opinion over this...
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 19:37   Link #73
Tron Bonne
Rockman Lover

The lead boy reminds me more of Asuran look wise than he does Kira. The other boy, the long hair boy who is a pilot as well reminds me of someone as well, I thinking someone from Dynasty Warriors, can't quite think of who I'm thinking of yet.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 19:40   Link #74
LinChoiSin

i love mecha'anime so there's no way i'll miss this show,of course it looks like a mix of eva and raxhephon but since i adored these shows it's all good.it looks like there are gonna be several (at least two) main characters ,it sounds good to me.
LinChoiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 21:54   Link #75
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator

Heh... I love this part in episode two where...

Spoiler:
ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 22:49   Link #76
Guido

Here we have again another tale of the mecha-anime subgenre, youngsters that pilot doomsday weapons.

Why do I have the impression that for the latter episodes, they will be constructed around an apocalyptic environment, and the plot paves its way toward a doomsday tragedy?

***Thinks of End of Evangelion and Saikano***
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 23:18   Link #77
dreamless

well, considering both Nadesico and Stellvia had a huge turn of events at the middle of the series, I think maybe the current "enemy" is not the real enemy...
Old 2004-07-07, 01:57   Link #78
Tellu54
Banned

I've read some background info on the show and I'm pretty sure the Festum are gonna stay the enemies throughout the series; they motivation is... how to put this? Incompatible with humanity's continuing existence.

Anyway I think that it's kinda strange to complain that the first episode moved fast and didn't explain stuff, as that was the point. Our position is kinda similar to that of the kids on the island; we see life continuing as a gentle, boring paradise and then HOLY CRAP! Black-hole flinging bogey inbound, and the island that we thought was normal and happy morphs into a giant defensive installation, the quiet kid who sat next to us is actually the pilot of a giant mechanized fighting machine, and the old dude next door who likes calligraphy is flying a jet.
SERIOUS disconnect between say, 8 minutes into the first episode and 10 minutes.

Sure, the show takes HEAVY influences from Eva. But I wouldn't be so quick to assume that it's going to be Eva redux with gundam seed lookalikes, especially with some of the things that'll probably be revealed in the next few eps.
Tellu54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 03:07   Link #79
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Having watched the first two episodes left me with mixed feelings about this series.
There are references to the opera "The Ring of the Niberlung" as expected from the title. Besides the names, Fafner's hand/lower arm interface is operated through the use of 5 rings in each limb. The island itself looks like a hand or a 5-toed dragon's footprint. Who knows what else they'll try to put into the anime. If done properly, this could turn it into something interesting.

Heh, It's like EVA threw away the Bible and is now using Wagner's opera

It would be nice if Paradise was referred to as Valhalla to go along with the Opera. We have Fafner being Mark Elf, which I guess goes along with mystical creatures in the opera, although Fafner was a giant.

The animation is very beautiful and sharp in this. The characters do look a lot like Gundam Seed and it's really throwing me off. Will Male Cagalli and Athrun still hook-up in this show?

Hell, the cagalli look-alike is probably more feminine than cagalli actually was :P

BTW, anyone wanting to look at Wagner's The Ring of the Niberlung, here's a pretty good synopsis.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 09:07   Link #80
dreamless

Watched the first episode, I think the art style is very... interesting... seems that some animations are intentionally 2D-ized, giving the scene a very "flat" feel. Also the use of black lines under characters' eyes and certain scenes feels strange...

I don't think it's too EVA-ish for the first episode. the first couple episodes of RahXephon reminds me of EVA a lot, but Soukyuu no Fafner seems different enough for me. And considering how even RahXephon turned out quite different from EVA, I personally don't think this one will be an EVA clone.

The religious symbolism is a bit unnerving though, I guess it's EVA=Kabbalism, RahXephon=Aztec mythology, and Soukyuu no Fafner=Norse mythology. And this series seems to have even more religious symbolism than EVA, with all those strange terms sticking out... however I'm not really sure where terms like Blugrim, Burnsbek, Vafferaden and Festive come from...

The shounen-ai overtone between the Athrun-wannabe and Cagalli-wannabe is a bit weird too...

The death scenes are so-so, I don't really feel much for those people's death...

I took an instant liking to Kasugai Kouyou though, must be the character design...

I don't think the enemy is firing micro blackholes, at least that staff girl can still scream with her upper body inside the "black orb"

Kinda wonder why the fansub translates Alvis to Arubis... I think it showed Alvis on the TV screen right?