AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-10-17, 14:45   Link #61
shermanramni

Oh... well, what about Megami? That mag is cool too.
Old 2006-10-17, 14:49   Link #62
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanramni View Post
Oh... well, what about Megami? That mag is cool too.
I saw a site that did subscription for Megami, 131$ for a years subscriptions, its around 11$ per. Though i'm not sure if the shipping is included.

ps: I don't remember the site, don't ask ^_^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 16:29   Link #63
shermanramni

I found Animebooks.com (in http://www.animebooks.com). Does anyone know about it? The order handling is through Yahoo!, so that gives trust. But if someone knows about it, please let me know.
Old 2006-10-17, 18:03   Link #64
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I saw a site that did subscription for Megami, 131$ for a years subscriptions, its around 11$ per. Though i'm not sure if the shipping is included.

ps: I don't remember the site, don't ask ^_^.
Well, perhaps you were thinking of CD Japan, which offers a number of magazine subscriptions. The problem is that the shipping costs more than the magazines themselves, and I'm not sure if there'd be a way to combine multiple subscriptions to reduce the average per-item cost. What I do, personally, is order the magazines as they appear on Amazon.co.jp, but that does require you to be a bit more "on top" of things (you have a 2-3 week window between pre-order and sell-out), and it's only cheaper if you're ordering a bunch of items at once.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 19:25   Link #65
shermanramni

I just checked CDJapan magazines and... the mags aren't expensive, but the shipping is, and a LOT (1-yr subscription=69 USD, 1-yr subscription + shipping to Chile=297 USD :S). That's bloodsucking.
Old 2007-01-06, 07:02   Link #66
Kiety
Feito-ism
*Fansubber

Megami Magazine 2006

:O not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know where to get past issues (new, unopened) of Megami Megazine? For example Jan -> Dec 2006.

tx ^__^)v

sry if this is the wrong place to ask
Kiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-06, 10:31   Link #67
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I get Megami every month and if I said I got it for the articles I'd be a fat stinkin liar

Book of posters for the win
Old 2007-01-06, 13:12   Link #68
Kiety
Feito-ism
*Fansubber

if u get ground/non-express shipping its not *that* expensive from cdjapan, i'm planning to get it when i get back to canada ^___^)v tho have to wait 2 weeks for each vol to reach me >__<"
Old 2007-01-06, 13:51   Link #69
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs View Post
I get Megami every month and if I said I got it for the articles I'd be a fat stinkin liar

Book of posters for the win
Heh. I remember reading a comment by someone:

"When you buy Megami, you're actually paying for the posters that comes with a free magazine."
Old 2007-01-06, 14:59   Link #70
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiety View Post
:O not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know where to get past issues (new, unopened) of Megami Megazine? For example Jan -> Dec 2006.

tx ^__^)v

sry if this is the wrong place to ask
Seems animebooks has a few from 2006
http://www.animebooks.com/megamimagazine.html
Old 2007-01-06, 15:50   Link #71
Kiety
Feito-ism
*Fansubber

I've emailed them, hoping for a good response

tx for link btw

i got vol 80 (january 2007) and was so impressed w/ the posters and eyecandy i decided to try and locate all of 2005 issues i'd try to get earlier ones too but figured its pretty much impossible >__<"

here's a link to some detailed pics of vol 80 for ppl wondering wat Megami is like

http://www.moetron.com/2006/12/20/me...gazine-vol-80/

btw, anyone care to give me some advice on how to remove the posters from the magazine ?! i havn't found a good way to do it without damaging the poster and/or the magazine

Last edited by Kiety; 2007-01-07 at 08:41.
Old 2007-01-08, 14:31   Link #72
solomon

For asthetics, Newtype USA (and its offical japanese counterpart and rivals) cant be beat. They (N:USA is the only one I read extensively) had really great features like character line art, fan polls, columns, shoutbox, fanart, convention photos and at one point Tv ratings (it's really useless sure, but I like seeing how the japanese view anime for a fresh perspective)
I think Animerica was one of the best ones in terms of feature articles though. Particularly for an early issue detailing the troubled production of the Macross series (beyond what fansites have said about it in it's Robotech form). It provided a ton of info within the articles (per article) moreso than newtype IMHO, plus they actually had reviews that were not afraid of calling a bad show BAD. Newtype whitewashes and glosses over everything in their reviews. Protoculture; I've only read one issue of it. It's was boring looking asthetically compared to the other mags, but it was fair for some decent interviews and some seemingly objective reviews.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 14:37   Link #73
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
our country only has one anime/manga/jpop magazine, Aniway
comes out every 2 months and started about 1 year ago, though the suckie part is everything that they have in their magazine has alady aired about 3-4 years before, though they have a series themed A3 poster in each magazine, so i buy it.. since theres no 'anime' anime postrs on sale here, i do see NewTYPE USA lying aroun in the comicstore (only store selling manga and other comics in a radius of 27 KM) but theyre mostly old editions and i would only buy one if it is actually intresting
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 05:39   Link #74
Kiety
Feito-ism
*Fansubber

>___< got almost all of 2006 megami, only missing April issue (71)

Anyone living in japan willing to purchase Megami Magazine issue (71) from amazon.co.jp for my by any chance :O ? i'd pay in advance inc shipping and small tip (via paypal)! they wouldn't ship it over to taiwan

Last edited by Kiety; 2007-01-15 at 10:09.
Old 2007-01-15, 10:10   Link #75
Kiety
Feito-ism
*Fansubber

><a

double post ~_~
Old 2007-02-15, 07:20   Link #76
shermanramni

Megami subscription

Gentlemen:

I just decided to get a Megami subscription.
Is anyone here subscribed to megami? If so, which website did you use? how was the experience?
Ive seen jbox.com as a possible candidate.

Thanks in advance.

Sherman
Old 2007-02-15, 11:05   Link #77
Icehawk

I collected Animerica a number of years back for a little bit. Then as soon as Newtype-USA came out, I dropped Animerica and collected the first 2 years worth of NT-USA , but then they decided to stop including a free DVD and so I decided to stop getting it. Even though they went back to including a DVD eventually, by then I'd lost the interest in collecting it, Ive been tempted to pick up an issue here or there but I'd prefer to spend my cash on other things at this point.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-15, 19:32   Link #78
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
I used to buy anime magazines(Newtype, Animerica, Anime Insider etc...) almost on a regular basis but as time went on I only started buying a magazine if there was something I really wanted to see or read in it. Now I've stopped buying anime magazine's completely. IMO, they just aren't worth the money anymore.
LionsMane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 13:11   Link #79
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanramni View Post
I just decided to get a Megami subscription.
Is anyone here subscribed to megami? If so, which website did you use? how was the experience?
Ive seen jbox.com as a possible candidate.
A few days late, but oh well... I commented on that question a few months ago here. I've been getting Megami and a bunch of other magazines for almost a year now, but rather than get a subscription, I've been buying them month-to-month on Amazon.co.jp as part of my other orders. It's not a bad way for me because I typically place 2-4 orders with them per month. But it does mean that you have to really keep on top of things. They typically add the magazine to their site 1-2 weeks before the street date, and it's usually sold out within a few days of release. In a few cases, it's sold out before release. So, it is one option, but is really only viable if you're buying other things from them as well.

I've considered the idea of getting a subscription, but the problem is that all the sites I've seen deal with each subscription seperately, and so they ship each magazine independantly and charge you accordingly (and the first item in a shipment is always the expensive one). If there were a way to pool multiple magazine subscriptions into one monthly shipment, I'd definitely be game for that, as it'd save me a lot of time. But so long as you're only interested in subscribing to the one magazine, that point probably isn't all that relevant to you right now.

All in all, though, Megami is a nice magazine. Of course it's most famous for its posters, but it's pretty well put-together all around.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-20, 08:44   Link #80
Takemaru
Helpfull Chibi

Send a message via MSN to Takemaru Send a message via Yahoo to Takemaru
NewType is definitely the best. But ofcourse i would like to buy real Japanese magazines but in Finland there is no such shop that sells it. (Must order from Japan if i want)