AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2007-06-09, 00:35   Link #41
krysinello
Sousuke Sagara

Send a message via MSN to krysinello
Post counts are basically a pointless feature, I like the rep feature better as it accurately shows more creditability then post counts would on a site. Posting tonnes and tonnes is easy, gaining the respect of your fellow forum members, isn't. While the Post count can have some certain uses and can be used to show activity(via posts by day), possibly used to rank, other then that, thats where its uses stand, at that only.
krysinello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 04:33   Link #42
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
You can't really judge someone on their post counts, but you sure can learn a lot of information about them from their post: What they like, their views, policies, their interests, and much more. Follow their post and check if the other user resent it or not. Then you can determine if they are deemed colorful or not.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 09:23   Link #43
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by krysinello View Post
While the Post count can have some certain uses and can be used to show activity(via posts by day), possibly used to rank, other then that, thats where its uses stand, at that only.
That post per day ratio idea ain't half bad ~ it would show activity and unlike post count it's not as easy to bump up.
But I'm against it anyway, I've seen people with 11.5 ~ so it can be abused with a little effort, that and it would take up space.
Old 2007-06-09, 13:37   Link #44
EusebioKun
OMG I go to college!

Send a message via AIM to EusebioKun
Well this is probably the busiest forum I've been on so things are gonna be done differently. I use 7 or 8 forums who all haven't made that step to excluding post count to the surface user info.
Old 2007-06-09, 14:20   Link #45
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It simply goes against posters objectivity for the most part ~ not like oh noes people are gonna spam.
( obviously slammers would get banned )
Old 2007-06-10, 02:16   Link #46
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I am definitely against the idea of displaying post counts. (If some one is that interested he/she can check the user's profile anyway). Showing the post counts accomplishes nothing, and some people might feel the need to increase their post count no matter what... which could lead to posts with little to no value. Of course i don't expect people to start posting left, right and center because of it, but it is still something that can be avoided and isn't needed.

Activity ... well - you can check the profile for that as well. In the end neither of these two say anything significant about the user. Besides, i certainly don't want another thing showing below the avatars ... i like things as clean as possible
Old 2007-06-10, 06:49   Link #47
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
You can pretty much tell when someone is spamming for post counts.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 09:05   Link #48
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Epenis! yea i wouldnt want something like that happening...its not a competition or whatever T.T (and you know that some fool will definitely take it the wrong way )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 12:42   Link #49
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Epenis! yea i wouldnt want something like that happening...its not a competition or whatever T.T (and you know that some fool will definitely take it the wrong way )
...says someone who has 6400+ posts and an average of 15.9 posts per day.

(J/K )

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 01:46   Link #50
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
While it is fairly easy to recognize I don't like having to delete a buch of posts and tell them to stop. I also don't like having to ban them for that nonsense. I think everyone is better off in an environment where you can't get a big number under your name as a reward for bad behavior. Better for them since they aren't tempted and better for me since I don't have to ban anyone.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 02:51   Link #51
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

posts counts are fun, most forums use them to give you a title, but since here u can manually change your title, its pretty meaningless.

now little green squares, that right there says, "I'm a veteran who's know what I'm talking about." it's all about how many legos are in your box.
Old 2007-06-11, 03:13   Link #52
cyth
ふひひ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
It's not only annoying for the moderators, it can also lead to fruitless in-topic-off-topic accusations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
now little green squares, that right there says, "I'm a veteran who's know what I'm talking about." it's all about how many legos are in your box.
The Small One already stated this: The reputation system isn't an accurate indicator of what you can expect from a poster. It's more accurate than post count/ratio in this regard, but really, people should judge opinions on post-per-post basis and assume nothing. Reputation of any kind (not just the little green lego forum module) is harmful to any future discussion because it sets predefined values of (even unjustified) love/hate/respect/fear to posters participating in it - ergo the e-penis dilemma.
Old 2007-06-11, 03:39   Link #53
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

As for reputation being an indicator... I've got 5 little boxes and NightWish has 3. That sure as hell does not mean I am nearly twice as reliable as him! It doesn't even mean that Deathkillz's 3 boxes mark him as equally reliable to NightWish. It might be a measure of popularity, but honestly I can't say what it really measures.

I would say that someone with more than 1 box is probably someone who can be trusted even though I cannot say that the exact number of boxes is relevant. Nor can I say that someone with only 1 box lacks valid opinions. Heck, many low rep people are quite interesting and reliable.

Gee... I just made a good case for abolishing the whole rep system entirely.

Anyway, I am just posting to ask people to stop discussing rep in this thread. It can only cause trouble and it really isn't connected to the post count issue. Any further discussion of rep will likely lead to this thread being closed.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 04:26   Link #54
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Most of the (reasonably big) forum I've regularly frequented, sooner or later had issues due to posts count and obvious spamming to reach a "status".

Now I can remember two blatant examples of how a different handling of the same problem might bring to opposite results.

Forum 1 after a lot of discussion inside its staff decided to abolish the posts count. There was a lot of noise from the usual spammers at the beginning, but they eventually learned to shut up. Result: the spamming consistently decreased making that forum a better place.

Forum 2 instead, decided (despite a lot of removal proposal) to keep the posts count. Some of the most valuable posters decided to give up because they started to feel uneasy on that forum. They just couldn't bear to have their opinons shuffled with tons of one lines posts. The side result was dramatic, since most of the normal membership also abandoned because those valuable posters abandoned, significantly decreasing the whole forum's value.

So, if I had to trace a trend also based on different experiences other than the two above, I'd say the posts count isn't harmful per se, but for the use (or better, misuse) it can be made of it.
Old 2007-06-11, 08:46   Link #55
Skane
Anime Snark

Exclamation

People already derail conversations and on-topic discussions because they want to reach a certain number for a thread's total post count, and now some people want to make the problem worse by offering another incentive for spammers to spam more?

GOOD GRIEF!

I rather have a sub-forum that is only 2000+ in posts but has a 90:10 signal:noise ratio than a sub-forum that has 20,000+ posts but has a 10:90 signal:noise ratio.

[Any Conclusions Drawn From The Number Comparison Are Entirely "Coincidental" And "Do Not Actually Refer To Actual Sub-forums"]

Natch.
Old 2007-06-11, 16:43   Link #56
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Most of the (reasonably big) forum I've regularly frequented, sooner or later had issues due to posts count and obvious spamming to reach a "status".
I thought the question is whether to display the post count or not.

If the users are not intelligent enough to know that increasing post count does not mean anything in terms of changing status in this forum, then their intelligence is bound to show its level sooner or later in an action resulting in a ban. And, for a typical user, seeing the post count does not mean a lot.

It would add just more Indian spice to the left side. For me it is unnecessary, as I didn't also favor adding lots of titles in that region, including the colorful titles the mods use, cause from the bold and italic user names it is clear enough for me, but, anyways, I am definitely in the minority there.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 00:13   Link #57
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
I thought the question is whether to display the post count or not.
Indeed. I meant "posts count display" as the root of the issues commented above.
Old 2007-09-14, 12:32   Link #58
Hotaru Suzume
Ten oorlog!
*Artist

Post-Counts

I've noticed that there seem to be no post-counts on this message board, may I ask why?
They help me see who's been on the forum longer generally. :0
らむうゐのおく
やまけふこえて
あさきゆめみし
ゑひもせす
Hotaru Suzume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 14:12   Link #59
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewoud View Post
I've noticed that there seem to be no post-counts on this message board, may I ask why?
They help me see who's been on the forum longer generally. :0
Post counts are shown in the profile. You can check the profile of each user to see the post counts. And, you can see the joining date of users to see who is active for longer in this forum.

(as a note: many of the users with the Dec-2005 membership dates have mostly become a member before, within that same year, but need to re-join because of the big crash and data loss in 2005).
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 00:28   Link #60
Diabolix

Question

How come it doesn't show how many posts you have, but you have to go into your profile to find out? Can i enable to see it somehow?
Diabolix is offline   Reply With Quote