AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-01-07, 00:55   Link #61
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolix View Post
How come it doesn't show how many posts you have, but you have to go into your profile to find out? Can i enable to see it somehow?
That information is not displayed with your post to prevent it from being a source of ePeen which would encourage some people to make a lot of pointless spammy posts of no value. There is no way for you to enable this. If someone wants to discover the exact number of posts made by another, they will have to purposefully examine the member's profile.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 19:57   Link #62
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Send a message via Skype™ to Poetic Justice
Total Number Of Posts Visible At Post

Why aren't the number of posts a user has made visible under age, join date and location like so many other forums? Or is there a specific reason why it's not allowed here.

It would be useful in seeing how much a user has contributed to the forums as a whole without having to view their profiles.
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 20:42   Link #63
james0246

^It's also a great way of showing how little life we all have .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 21:59   Link #64
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
It would be useful in seeing how much a user has contributed to the forums as a whole without having to view their profiles.
I don't see how the number of posts is any better a measure of a member's contribution to the forum than reputation is (not a terribly reliable measure either since, at heart, it's just a measure of popularity), especially considering that it doesn't take much to inflate the figure by just posting spam or useless one-sentence comments, for example.

So, I'm all in favour of the current uncluttered interface. It's cleaner, more streamlined and certainly a lot easier on the eyes.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 22:09   Link #65
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I agree with TinyRedLeaf. One thing that I'm happy about with this forum is the lack of spam or jockeying to increase one's post count. Having it displayed would only encourage that. Plus, just because someone doesn't contribute doesn't mean their points aren't as valid as someone else's. Ad hominem, etc. I don't see why it'd matter.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 22:17   Link #66
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Not to mention that a member's post count is displayed on his or her profile page.

Like James, I'm not sure I want to advertise how much time I waste spend here.
Old 2010-04-19, 23:19   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Agree with TRL and others.... post counts just encourage post spamming. The forum rules are not kind to pointless posting.

Heck, sometimes I think the rep level should be confined to the user's profile page
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 01:07   Link #68
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Thread merged with existing one. Check previous posts for more explanations as to why post count isn't listed.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 04:24   Link #69
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You think post count shows how active you are? The system is bad at both ends of the equation. When people see X join date and Y post count, where Y is above theirs you sir are automatically labeled spammer or something implying that. This was particularly obnoxious in this one DotA forum at one point where I was simply posting very actively in the few balance section there were.
Old 2010-04-20, 14:33   Link #70
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Post counts are even more useless than rep, which says a lot. Which is why isn't displayed. Too often on a forum someone (typically a spammer) will attack someone for being a "13 post newbie" or some crap; you also get shit like landmark posts such as "1000th post" which doesn't really matter but is just even more of a waste of space.

The only use I've ever found for post counts is that some forums would tell you which forum you were most active in. And of course, nobody cares except me.

You should really be reading the text/images in the posts before whatever crap is on the left anyways.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 18:21   Link #71
Finalage
*Author

Arrow

I feel I am beating a dead horse here, but I must say I to, agree that, while post counts are a prevalent feature on other forums, it's use and value is mediocre at best. I've seen people get three hundred posts in one week purely from trolling a forum, their posts only border lining from spam. Now tell me, when something like that happens, is post count an accurate representation of rank and worth? I think not.
Finalage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 22:48   Link #72
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Too often on a forum someone (typically a spammer) will attack someone for being a "13 post newbie" or some crap;
Well you'll be happy to know even stupidity evolves. There was this thread on TL recently where (at the time) a 10 post guy was ditching on this poor 4 post dude (the thread starter) see post 2 & 4 in link
Old 2010-04-20, 22:59   Link #73
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I agree with showing the post count...It's something new and would be nice change for the site IMO...This isn't The Vatican, why not give it try? Trolls don't really care either way I assure you...
Old 2010-04-21, 01:30   Link #74
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Well you'll be happy to know even stupidity evolves. There was this thread on TL recently where (at the time) a 10 post guy was ditching on this poor 4 post dude (the thread starter) see post 2 & 4 in link
Ah hypocrisy. The internet wouldn't be the same without it.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote