AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-04, 01:35   Link #41
Blue*Dragon

the hollanders is speaking it either good also. So far I know. Have I no Accent when talking japanese.
Blue*Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 02:56   Link #42
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue*Dragon
the hollanders is speaking it either good also. So far I know. Have I no Accent when talking japanese.
HUH??? that made like no sense at all. I think what he's trying to say is:

For native dutch speaking people Japanese is very easy pronounce since only 2 or 3 sounds are pronounced differently in japanese compared to dutch. The only thing that requires a little practice is holding the length equal for each tone and trying not to stress certain tones.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 15:07   Link #43
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Good translation ^_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
HUH??? that made like no sense at all. I think what he's trying to say is:

For native dutch speaking people Japanese is very easy pronounce since only 2 or 3 sounds are pronounced differently in japanese compared to dutch. The only thing that requires a little practice is holding the length equal for each tone and trying not to stress certain tones.
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 16:34   Link #44
jennwenn

Hmm, I think Japanese is difficult, but not impossible. As a native English speaker, French was really easy for me to learn and the sentence structure comes naturally to me when I speak conversationally. In Japanese, I really have to think about it. I'm not at the level yet where I can form good sentences. At least pronounciation-wise, I find it simple. And reading and writing! Japanese is arguably more difficult than Chinese for reading/writing, since they have more complicated grammar and 3 different sets of symbols.

I tried to learn German once, but my pronouciation was horrible. I couldn't do the gutteral sounds. I can't roll my R's either, so when I eventually learn Spanish it will probably sound reeeealllly ugly heh.

My sister is learning Arabic. Its actually similar to Japanese, but only in that they write right-to-left and they have a tendency to spell out English words phonetically in Arabic. (You know, like the million katakana "English" words. ) Whenever my sister writes Arabic I think it looks so fancy and she always thinks Japanese looks fancy.

I'd like to learn Korean, and I hear knowing Japanese will help since they have similar sentence structure.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 17:07   Link #45
_Riku_

hmm does anyone hre knows what this means... a girl said this to me ...but she wont translate it....

Anata wa totemo koudanshii desu!!
_Riku_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 17:25   Link #46
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Riku_
hmm does anyone hre knows what this means... a girl said this to me ...but she wont translate it....

You're very something or other. Koudanshii isn't in my dictionary...which seems to happen all the time. Unless you mispelled it.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 17:38   Link #47
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Riku_

Odds are she said 'anata wa tottemo koudanshi(好男子 [こうだんし]) desu' which literally means 'You're very handsome.'

Either that or you're a very good storyteller...
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 18:02   Link #48
_Riku_

aah okey.. thanks .. I only understood the "anata wa " part..lol
_Riku_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 18:43   Link #49
TronDD
Team the box!

Why wouldn't 'handsome' be in my dictionary? Gah, I hate this dictionary. It does that to me all the time.
Old 2004-07-05, 20:04   Link #50
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Why wouldn't 'handsome' be in my dictionary? Gah, I hate this dictionary. It does that to me all the time.
Yeah your dictionary is defective. Burn it!
Old 2004-07-06, 06:36   Link #51
Ending

Sorry, that is only possible if it is a paperback -there are online-dictionaries too.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 10:37   Link #52
TangentZ
神の一手

Send a message via ICQ to TangentZ
I've said it before and now I say it again.

If you think Japanese is hard, try learning a right-to-left (horizontally) written language, like Arabic.

When I look at Arabic, say a newspaper, I have absolutely no idea where the word breaks are, since they tend to be written cursively (continuously).

Of course, spoken language has no "leftness" or "rightness". It's just stream of sounds coming out from a person's mouth.

P.S. Out of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, I think Korean writing is the hardest because you "spell" it ideographically, which feels like a very weird mix of English and Chinese.
Old 2004-07-06, 11:41   Link #53
TronDD
Team the box!

The dictionary is a paperback. It'll burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Russian is really really hard at the begining. I can tell you that learning a new alphabet is quite hard. And trying to write is like hell. But once you are used to it, it's fine. The russian grammar is also very hard to learn and i did not practice enough to handle it.
The alphabet was far and away the easiest part of Russian. I picked that up in a night. I thought "hey, is all of Russian, this easy?" and bought some books. No, I won't be saying anything in Russian for you.

Like you said, I'd have to use the grammar constantly to be able to learn it. I wasn't doing that and had a heck of a time remembering it.

After studying Russian fruitlessly for a few months, I picked up a Japanese grammar book and in one weekend my level of knowledge of Japanese was the same as my knowledge of Russian. Partly because I had learned how to study a language (grammatical terms and such) while learning Russian and partly because Japanese grammar is just that much simpler than Russian grammar.

I'd still love to learn Russian, but I'm sticking with Japanese for now.
Old 2004-07-06, 13:33   Link #54
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentZ
P.S. Out of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, I think Korean writing is the hardest because you "spell" it ideographically, which feels like a very weird mix of English and Chinese.
So Korean is hardest? I've always liked Korean because their characters (improper term?) are so geometrical and logical. They're all straight lines and circles. It is like a mix of English and Chinese I guess lol.

Do Koreans use Chinese characters like the Japanese in their writing system?
Old 2004-07-06, 13:46   Link #55
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Do Koreans use Chinese characters like the Japanese in their writing system?
It would be funny if two languages would borrow a complete alphabet from the Chinese, wouldn' it?

A quick question though:

Do the Japanese included every Chinese character in their Kanji alphabet or just some? And are there original (read: with Japanese origin) Kanjis too?
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 18:52   Link #56
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
It would be funny if two languages would borrow a complete alphabet from the Chinese, wouldn' it?

A quick question though:

Do the Japanese included every Chinese character in their Kanji alphabet or just some? And are there original (read: with Japanese origin) Kanjis too?
Yes, no, and yes.

There are Japanese-original kan'jis, and not all Chinese characters made their way into the Japanese language.

Even if it was the case in the past (which it wasn't), the Japanese government has decided to limit the number of required kan'ji to a (relatively) small number in order to make the language easier to learn.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 19:04   Link #57
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
eeerr. I dont think thats true, Ive heard that the most difficult language is chinese, and that spanish comes close, At least for me learning english wasnt terrible at all, I found japanese harder than english and japanese is kind of easy.
Chinese is not HARD, what is so hard about Chinese is the different VARIATIONS if you visit China. Chinese is fairly simple but there are so many different dialects of it, some ppl in china can't even UNDERSTAND others, even tho they are TECHINCALLY speaking the same language...

Most of you ppl saying "english is not hard" speak english as your OWN language, like me, but if you talk to most of ppl who learned it as a 2nd language or such, you will find out it took YEARS and YEARS to learn and they STILL arn't GREAT at it...it is hard for me to understand too, but it IS a bitch to learn, LOTS of complex shit in it...
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 19:44   Link #58
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaServ
English is the 2nd hardest language to learn in the world (2nd to Russian). Believe it or not english speakers (including myself) ppl that dont' speak english have a HELL of a hard time learning it cuz it IS a EXTREMELY difficult language to learn (being there are words that are pronounced the same way and are spelled so different, etc.). BTW, this isn't my opinion, it was a random statistic I found out about sometime in my life O.o....

and OBVIOUSLY if english is your first language, it doesn't seem hard to you, but it SERIOUSLY is hard to learn (ask someone who IS learning it :P)
Not too sure about that, I'm french (canadian) and learned english quite easily over the years, I guess my english isn't perfect.. but I can get my point accross fairly easily. Maybe living near Ontario might be helping and the fact that I watched movies, and play games in english might have helped a lot. Well about everyone in my region is born speaking french and speaking english moderately well to perfectly well.

I want to learn japanese and plan on doing so as soon as I can find some kind of school for that, unfortunately, I can't learn it in normal school. Oh yeah and I took spanish in high school too, from a french perspective it wasn't so bad to learn (both from latin) but it was through 2 years and didn't had to use it since then, so I don't remember much of it, but from english to spanish it must be harder. My point there being that even western language can be hard to learn from one to another.

Anyway I think it all goes down to each person learning abilities and the time given into learning the language that matters.

PS: I have no clue where the threads at, I just had to reply to this...
Kyolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 02:58   Link #59
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaServ
Most of you ppl saying "english is not hard" speak english as your OWN language, like me, but if you talk to most of ppl who learned it as a 2nd language or such, you will find out it took YEARS and YEARS to learn and they STILL arn't GREAT at it...it is hard for me to understand too, but it IS a bitch to learn, LOTS of complex shit in it...
English is my second language. I learned it for 8 years now and I'm pretty confident in grammar etc. I consider myself in the last phase of learning it: Picking up new vocabulary and sayings that you won't learn in school. (Even (young) native speakers are in this phase, I guess)
I.e. I did not know what "to cry wolf" meant at first, but one quick glance in an Online Dictionary (German<->English) and I got it for future discussion. English is not that hard if you developed a certain "feeling" for it like everybody does when learning a foreign language after some time.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 03:28   Link #60
cdiesel12

Send a message via AIM to cdiesel12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
only one additional language, and you're obligated to take english. that's a shame really. Our schools teach 4 different languages starting aroung the age of 10. So by the time kids graduate high school (at 18) we can speak 3 languages more or less at a reasonable level while having grasped the basics of 1-2 more.

During my student years I had dutch french english latin german and greec. Last year I started Japanese as well. Not that I excell at all these languages, in fact i've forgotten all the greec and latin since i never ever use it, so I'm down to 3 well known and 2 languages in the learning fase.

I think learning other languages really enriches the education you get. You get introduced to other people's culture and ideas. Also after studying for many many years and finally graduating from university I realised that in work the only usefull thing I ever learned in school where ... languages, I rarely use anything they taught me apart from that.
send the american govt some money to put into our public school systems and then well do that .in all seriousness america overall doesnt have high taxes such as other countires do
cdiesel12 is offline   Reply With Quote