AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2004-07-04, 13:13   Link #1
Char Aznable
Newtype

FFX-2...a black page in the saga's history

hi everyone...
i would like to discuss the game which i hate so much
the game which brought shame to this wonderful saga...the game that is empty of both storyline and excitment...wait a sec...there is no story at all !!

first i thought "hey...maybe they will retell the story of jecht,braska and auron" but they turned me down and made a second part for the FFX...ok i passed that. but they didn't stop at just that! they made yuna the respected character into something ugly...yeah it's ugly to me. and what about that annoying Rikku, i had enough of her nonsence in the past.
they even put a character with stupid behavior,she thinks that she can take auron place...i'm talking about the third character...paine

the discussion isn't about the producers or why they made this and i hate them...and so on....no guys, it's about the game itself .
i want everyone to write the features they liked and hated in the game. plus, what missions and events they think is stupid, funny...etc.
and i don't mind discussing anything with all of you .
see you all later
Char Aznable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 13:34   Link #2
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
I actually liked it, I haven't finished it yet though. But so far I like it, its fun, entertaining, and light hearted. The only problem I have with it, is the same problem I have with X, you can't use the airship.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 14:19   Link #3
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

i liked it too, it wasn't a bad game at all, it was a true sequel to a good game, and the tweaking to the battle system was welcome, though it was different enough to not be worth comparing to FFX's
a "black page in the saga's history"...you've never played Mystic Quest or any of the cheap knock-offs they launched that milked the franchise did you?
Old 2004-07-04, 18:05   Link #4
DekaMaster
Banned

I loved FFX-2 great story. But FFMQ wasn't to milk anything. It was an rpg made for "entry level rpg players". It was meant to help new people to RPGs get started. I thought it was very good for what it was. The Music to FFMQ was amazing.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 06:13   Link #5
Char Aznable
Newtype

hi...
first i would like to explain certain things...maybe i exaggerated when i said "with no story at all"...but what troubles me is that the old classic RPG's we used to play and enjoy is no longer with us...it died after FFIX...maybe the only game that kept it's classic way is Wild Arms...
Quote:
I actually liked it, I haven't finished it yet though. But so far I like it, its fun, entertaining, and light hearted. The only problem I have with it, is the same problem I have with X, you can't use the airship.
i respect your opinion jubei, and i think the airship matter needs a seperate topic for it, i too was disappointed when i couldn't explore the world of FF in the beautiful classic way...
but can you answer me these questions :
which do you prefer, the yuna in X...or the yuna in X-2 ?
and also :
what do you think of the story...isn't it a bit shallow...with no essence at all ?
thank you

Quote:
i liked it too, it wasn't a bad game at all, it was a true sequel to a good game, and the tweaking to the battle system was welcome, though it was different enough to not be worth comparing to FFX's
a "black page in the saga's history"...you've never played Mystic Quest or any of the cheap knock-offs they launched that milked the franchise did you?
Mystic quest is out of our Discussion...it's a game with no relation to the true saga. i'm comparing this game with the previous ones. maybe you disagreed with me in the front, but you agreed with me that this FFX-2 is not even qualified to reach the level where we can compare it with X. and X is not worth anything in front of VII & VIII.
do you understand now...i'm comparing the past and the present here .
Old 2004-07-05, 17:21   Link #6
JubeiYamazaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Aznable
hi...
first i would like to explain certain things...maybe i exaggerated when i said "with no story at all"...but what troubles me is that the old classic RPG's we used to play and enjoy is no longer with us...it died after FFIX...maybe the only game that kept it's classic way is Wild Arms...

i respect your opinion jubei, and i think the airship matter needs a seperate topic for it, i too was disappointed when i couldn't explore the world of FF in the beautiful classic way...
but can you answer me these questions :
which do you prefer, the yuna in X...or the yuna in X-2 ?
and also :
what do you think of the story...isn't it a bit shallow...with no essence at all ?
thank you
First off, you gotta realize something here. SquareEnix wasn't pushing X-2 as some epic FF game, X-2 barely had any advertising and hype other then what's the battle system/whats up with Yuna, and they left it at that, I knew more about 11 and 12 then I did X-2, and I loved X. X-2 was just a squel to X, nothing more, nothing less, so I wasn't excepting anything other then getting entertained, having fun, and finding cool class combinations, and an interesting plot, which I was very satsified in all catagories. If you think about it, X-2 is just like the new generation of FFMQ.

As for my preference of which Yuna I liked, you're acting as if they're two seperate people, do you believe that? If so, you gotta realize after X, there was no more need for summoners. Which Yuna was, and since was lied to with the whole Yevon thing, she felt betrayed and no longer needed to follow their rules. This is her first time she gets to think about what she wants, and goes through the game the way she wants. X-2 is her true personality, so Yuna as a character, I like post and pre X-2 Yuna equally.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, and I really don't care, as I have been through this a 3564254151 times. I think the Final Fantasy series died with 7. Compared to FF8, the worldmap polgyons were ugly as hell, the story was sloppy, character design wasn't as cool, the cinematics were kinda ugly. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate FF7 or think its horrible, cause it is a great game that I would recommend to people, but as a representation for the next generation of RPGs (back then) that game, as Kriss Cross would say was wiggy wiggy whack. And its sad FF8 and even FF9 get shadowed by it. Oh well.

Last edited by JubeiYamazaki; 2004-07-05 at 17:38.
Old 2004-07-05, 18:09   Link #7
DekaMaster
Banned

What is worse are people that don't like for RPGs outside of FF. It makes me happy that the complete remake of Wild Arms is coming out in the US later this year.
Old 2004-07-05, 19:11   Link #8
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I rented FFX-2 last winter, but it barely kept my interest. I just found it boring, and there didn't even seem like there was any story. "Oh lets be treasure hunters yay!". I dunno, some people may like non-linear storylines but I don't. If anything I like the story to open up at the end kinda like FFX did. I think FFVI had the best linearity/open-ended storyline though.

But I agree with you, FFX-2 didn't even feel like an RPG to me. It was just a game to make money. I remember hearing someone that said "S-E doesn't make games to make them good like they used to. Now all they do is make games to make money." I totally agree with this statement. Hopefully FFXII doesn't follow this new trend, but I don't have my hopes up.

Hero of Allacrost, a free 2D RPG in development.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 19:21   Link #9
Char Aznable
Newtype

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
First off, you gotta realize something here. SquareEnix wasn't pushing X-2 as some epic FF game, X-2 barely had any advertising and hype other then what's the battle system/whats up with Yuna, and they left it at that, I knew more about 11 and 12 then I did X-2, and I loved X. X-2 was just a squel to X, nothing more, nothing less, so I wasn't excepting anything other then getting entertained, having fun, and finding cool class combinations, and an interesting plot, which I was very satsified in all catagories. If you think about it, X-2 is just like the new generation of FFMQ.

As for my preference of which Yuna I liked, you're acting as if they're two seperate people, do you believe that? If so, you gotta realize after X, there was no more need for summoners. Which Yuna was, and since was lied to with the whole Yevon thing, she felt betrayed and no longer needed to follow their rules. This is her first time she gets to think about what she wants, and goes through the game the way she wants. X-2 is her true personality, so Yuna as a character, I like post and pre X-2 Yuna equally.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, and I really don't care, as I have been through this a 3564254151 times. I think the Final Fantasy series died with 7. Compared to FF8, the worldmap polgyons were ugly as hell, the story was sloppy, character design wasn't as cool, the cinematics were kinda ugly. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate FF7 or think its horrible, cause it is a great game that I would recommend to people, but as a representation for the next generation of RPGs (back then) that game, as Kriss Cross would say was wiggy wiggy whack. And its sad FF8 and even FF9 get shadowed by it. Oh well.
hi there...

i know it's a sequel to X...but the fact that it's under the name "Final Fantasy" is enough for me to complain about everything in it. the story, the characters, and even the game new" missions" thingy. and hey..."I wasn't excepting anything other then getting entertained, having fun, and finding cool class combinations, and an interesting plot" do you realize that you mentioned the features of a classic RPG, we all play games for entertainment,and before entetainment we look for what MAKES the game entertaining. in my point of view...what makes RPG's entertaining is what you said,plus a good story and a beautiful music.

and it seems that you TOO didn't understand my point. i finished X&X-2 and i know everything about the story, same goes for the turn out of events. when i asked you to compare the two yuna's i didn't want you to review her story, i wanted to see what other people think about the TWO PERSONALITIES of yuna. so in other words, which do you prefer...the sweet,gentle,sensitive yuna....or the "Rikku like" yuna ??

wow "3564254151" times....how old are you?!. it seems that you're one of the "i want a good graphics" cult. if you talk like that then i bet you've never played games like"Lunar".Games which i call "True RPG". RPG is not about the Graphics, it's about going through a story with a lot of twists like FF7 or a lot of mysteries like Valkyrie. and enjoying a music of great quality like the ones in "Chrono Cross" or "Xenogears. you forgot the true meaning of "Enjoying RPG". and you know what, that's the diffrence between you and me. you play RPG...but i LIVE RPG. oh well...
Old 2004-07-05, 19:34   Link #10
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
I rented FFX-2 last winter, but it barely kept my interest. I just found it boring, and there didn't even seem like there was any story. "Oh lets be treasure hunters yay!". I dunno, some people may like non-linear storylines but I don't. If anything I like the story to open up at the end kinda like FFX did. I think FFVI had the best linearity/open-ended storyline though.

But I agree with you, FFX-2 didn't even feel like an RPG to me. It was just a game to make money. I remember hearing someone that said "S-E doesn't make games to make them good like they used to. Now all they do is make games to make money." I totally agree with this statement. Hopefully FFXII doesn't follow this new trend, but I don't have my hopes up.

All games are made to make money. There is no question about this. Everyone thinks differently about games. Myself I love some of the stuff Square-Enix has released this year. I can not get enough of Front Mission 4. Star Ocean 3 is coming out soon. They could have released just the regular version but they delayed it to release the Directors cut version here. If they just wanted money they could have either rushed the non DC version or released both.
Old 2004-07-05, 20:02   Link #11
Archuka
A territory most absolute

I don't know what your problem is. I liked the story very much even though it wasn't as "epic" as we are used to.

The only things I didn't like were the occasional annoying behaviour, especially by Rikku and the new Blizball, which sucked a lot. A lot of the play time time goes into doing missions that seem kinda pointless and unrelated to the story (such as Tobli's shows), but still the story is there and it advances every now and then.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 20:14   Link #12
JubeiYamazaki

Quote:
hi there...

i know it's a sequel to X...but the fact that it's under the name "Final Fantasy" is enough for me to complain about everything in it. the story, the characters, and even the game new" missions" thingy. and hey..."I wasn't excepting anything other then getting entertained, having fun, and finding cool class combinations, and an interesting plot" do you realize that you mentioned the features of a classic RPG, we all play games for entertainment,and before entetainment we look for what MAKES the game entertaining. in my point of view...what makes RPG's entertaining is what you said,plus a good story and a beautiful music.

and it seems that you TOO didn't understand my point. i finished X&X-2 and i know everything about the story, same goes for the turn out of events. when i asked you to compare the two yuna's i didn't want you to review her story, i wanted to see what other people think about the TWO PERSONALITIES of yuna. so in other words, which do you prefer...the sweet,gentle,sensitive yuna....or the "Rikku like" yuna ??

wow "3564254151" times....how old are you?!. it seems that you're one of the "i want a good graphics" cult. if you talk like that then i bet you've never played games like"Lunar".Games which i call "True RPG". RPG is not about the Graphics, it's about going through a story with a lot of twists like FF7 or a lot of mysteries like Valkyrie. and enjoying a music of great quality like the ones in "Chrono Cross" or "Xenogears. you forgot the true meaning of "Enjoying RPG". and you know what, that's the diffrence between you and me. you play RPG...but i LIVE RPG. oh well...
You're somewhat contradicting yourself you say you can complain about FFX-2 because its under the same name, but so is FFMQ, but you disregard that? But anyway, my point was simple, you're putting exceptations on a game SquareEnix never had intentions of giving it, as Roots said, that was purely to get some more money in, I mean Capcom took a huge hit last fiscal year (around 50 million or 500 million something like that.) so I guess that could be a reason for X-2, but like I said, its obivious SquareEnix wasn't trying to make X-2 like their other FF games.

The reason why I explained her story was because when everyone first heard Yuna was packing heat and had a different outfit, they were like "WTF That's stupid and lame, etc. etc. etc." without taking in the fact, that A.) she lost her job, and B.) Her religion betrayed her, so there's no need for her to act and dress accordingly like she used to, that's why I don't see it as two different personalities, she just grew out of her old state, and Rikku and Yuna are related (right?) so its no surprise she's Rikku-like.

And oh boy, you so got me as a wrong type of gamer. That's why I hate generalization, if you mention graphics, you automatically get pegged as a graphics whore. Listen, I own the original Lunar: SSS, AND Lunar: EB for the SEGA CD when it first came out, and I own the Arc the Lad trilogy, also by Working Designs. I love the Lunar series, I even own the GBA game, and I also own the Lunar PSX remakes as well, graphics mean nothing to me, as you can see, speaking of which, I still play with my SEGA CD and started playing a few classic SEGA CD games, like Willy Bemish, Double Switch, Night Trap and both Lunar games, hell I just recently finished both Fallout, and Bladur's Gate, now I'm working on Bladur's Gate 2 and Fallout 2.

But, a video game, is a video game and graphics do matter, if they truely didn't matter to me, I wouldn't be enjoying the games I'm playing now. I don't care for graphics, but if their style is below par to everything else that's out there, then yeah it matters. If FF7 was a bunch of stick people with a green, ground and a blue sky, would it still be as awsome? If FF7 was the best that the PSX could deal with, I wouldn't be complaining, but it wasn't. Those polygons and cinematics were really shitty. I love RPGs too, and I love getting emotionally attached to the characters, but that's the thing though... I didn't get attached to anyone in that game, I can't barely remember their background stories, or anything that impressed me. Yet I can vividly remember the first time I saw Nall in Lunar:EB on my SEGA CD almost 10 years ago, and my jaw drop and I thought how damn cool he looked grown up. So don't come to me acting as if graphics mean more to me then gameplay, graphics are important, almost as important the gameplay, because they both go hand-in-hand.

Roots - To each their own, I love RPGs period, non-linear or open-ended, if its good, its good, btw I'm a lurker on your forum, good stuff so far.

EDIT: When I spoke of the FF7 graphics, I meant the outer world character polygons, in case anyone was confused.

Last edited by JubeiYamazaki; 2004-07-06 at 02:04.
Old 2004-07-05, 20:42   Link #13
DekaMaster
Banned

What does capcom have ANYTHING to do with squareenix?
Old 2004-07-05, 21:16   Link #14
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Mystic quest is out of our Discussion...it's a game with no relation to the true saga. i'm comparing this game with the previous ones. maybe you disagreed with me in the front, but you agreed with me that this FFX-2 is not even qualified to reach the level where we can compare it with X. and X is not worth anything in front of VII & VIII.
do you understand now...i'm comparing the past and the present here .
No, i never agreed with you, i agree more with JubeiYamazaki (except about FF7 being the death of the series...)
FFX-2 is a spin-off, much like FFMQ, FFT, FFA, FFL, chocobo's mysterious dungeon, chocobo racing, etc. are all spin offs
and FFMQ wasn't made as an intro for RPG gamers...FF1 and FF2 were already in the states at that time. FFMQ was given to american gamers as a substitute for FF5, because squaresoft, back then, felt the game was too complicated for americans. I have a lot more evidence that S-E doesn't think well of americans even to this day, but that's a whole other thread.
i dunno about you, but i loved FF7 (the graphic, mainly the FMVs, were pretty good at the time) but i disliked 8 (none of the characters were very interesting, the plot seemed contrived, the method of making money stunk, and it needed voice actors. I liked the card game though ^_^
in truth, the FF main characters have been getting wussier and wussier since they actually had names (Bartz was ok, Terra rocked, Cloud was pretty cool, Squall needed to be slapped, Zidane was a monkey, Ramza was pretty interesting (tho his personality is more based on the player), Tidus needed an anti-wimp whack, and yuna was....ok)
and unfortunately it looks like FFXII's main character is going to be Tidus-esque >_<
i want a bad-ass hero like Cloud, or Terra, or Ramza...