AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-07-04, 01:00   Link #1
anime_fan

Unhappy Help!! Prob arises after changing Bittorrent

I have been using Bittorent cilent in the past but recently, I changed to Bittorent 3.2.1b, thinking that I can achieve better download speeds after that. However, after changing the bittorrent, my download speed becomes very slow although there are a lot of seeds for that file. Furthermore, before changing to Bittorrent 3.2.1b, I have already downloaded about 80% of the file using Bitttorent client. However, when I resume the download using bittorrent 3.2.1b, it turns out that only 69% of the file is downloaded. I really had no idea what had happened. Could anyone please help me? Thanks a lot
anime_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 04:17   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_fan
I have been using Bittorent cilent in the past but recently, I changed to Bittorent 3.2.1b, thinking that I can achieve better download speeds after that. However, after changing the bittorrent, my download speed becomes very slow although there are a lot of seeds for that file.
The 3.2.1b version is kinda outdated (3.4.2 is the newest version since April '04). I suggest that you download another and better client to achieve better download speeds: Azureus (see link in sig, it will take you to an awesome guide of mine ). It's able to give a more detailed error message in form of the 'Health' of a torrent. A router issue is easy to identify with the Health system of Azureus (the smiley will turn yellow). Moreover, Azureus can map your ports automatically, as does BitTornado. If you, however, don't want to change BT clients (which would be a shame because the official BT client sucks ), download BitTornado for diagnostic purposes only (it has a Health system similar to Azureus). Now start a torrent with one of the clients and tell me the color of the smiley (Azureus) or the light bulb (BitTornado). Moreover, post your bandwith speed and as much as information you can provide over your internet connections (firewall, router, background programs running etc).

Quote:
Furthermore, before changing to Bittorrent 3.2.1b, I have already downloaded about 80% of the file using Bitttorent client. However, when I resume the download using bittorrent 3.2.1b, it turns out that only 69% of the file is downloaded. I really had no idea what had happened. Could anyone please help me? Thanks a lot
That occurance is pretty normal; The files you are downloading though BT are splitted into different pieces of which only the complete pieces are saved for resuming if you close your BT client prematurely. Let's assume you are downloading an anime with 4 pieces only (these are really simplified figures): You've downloaded 2 complete pieces, and two times a half piece. That sums up to about 3/4 of the file, meaning you've downloaded 75% of the file. If you close your BT client at this moment, you will lose the data of both the half pieces which will drop you back to only 50% completed when resuming the file.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 20:16   Link #3
anime_fan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Moreover, post your bandwith speed and as much as information you can provide over your internet connections (firewall, router, background programs running etc).
I am using a router and ADSL connection. I don't run much programs when downloading. Is my slow download speed attributed by the router and my internet connection?

Quote:
That occurance is pretty normal; The files you are downloading though BT are splitted into different pieces of which only the complete pieces are saved for resuming if you close your BT client prematurely. Let's assume you are downloading an anime with 4 pieces only (these are really simplified figures): You've downloaded 2 complete pieces, and two times a half piece. That sums up to about 3/4 of the file, meaning you've downloaded 75% of the file. If you close your BT client at this moment, you will lose the data of both the half pieces which will drop you back to only 50% completed when resuming the file.
If I were to change my bittorrent back to bittorrent client, will I be able to retrieve the 10+% of my file? Thank you for answering my queries.
Old 2004-07-05, 04:41   Link #4
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
I am using a router and ADSL connection. I don't run much programs when downloading. Is my slow download speed attributed by the router and my internet connection?
Could be the router or could be the internet connection but I don't know since you didn't tell me your
1. connection speed (if you don't know it, test it here if you are located in the U.S. If you are not, pick the server closest to you here.)
2. the 'Health' of the torrent; see above to see what I mean

Quote:
If I were to change my bittorrent back to bittorrent client, will I be able to retrieve the 10+% of my file? Thank you for answering my queries.
No, they will still be gone.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?

Old 2004-07-06, 02:56   Link #5
anime_fan

Smile

Quote:
Could be the router or could be the internet connection but I don't know since you didn't tell me your
1. connection speed (if you don't know it, test it here if you are located in the U.S. If you are not, pick the server closest to you here.)
2. the 'Health' of the torrent; see above to see what I mean

My connection speed is 256 i think if there is nothing known as broadband (i don't these computer stuff well ).. As for the health of my torrent, if what you mean is the smiley face beside "share ratio", then it is a green face most of the time.
Old 2004-07-06, 02:59   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
My connection speed is 256 i think if there is nothing known as broadband (i don't these computer stuff well ).. As for the health of my torrent, if what you mean is the smiley face beside "share ratio", then it is a green face most of the time.
Green smiley is good news: We can exclude a router/firewall issue.

Did you take the speed test? Knowing your upload and download speed is mandatory. Just take the test and post the results here.

Old 2004-07-08, 07:07   Link #7
anime_fan

Quote:
Green smiley is good news: We can exclude a router/firewall issue.

Did you take the speed test? Knowing your upload and download speed is mandatory. Just take the test and post the results here.
Below is the results of my speed test:

2004-07-08 08:34:36 EST: 166 / 42
Your download speed : 170193 bps, or 166 kbps.
A 20.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 43620 bps, or 42 kbps.

Thank you.
Old 2004-07-08, 07:19   Link #8
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Below is the results of my speed test:

2004-07-08 08:34:36 EST: 166 / 42
Your download speed : 170193 bps, or 166 kbps.
A 20.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 43620 bps, or 42 kbps.

Thank you.
OK: Cap your upload at about 4 KB/s to achieve a download rate from about 20-21 KB/s

PS: I hope you took the test multiple times and according to your location.

Old 2004-07-09, 20:32   Link #9
anime_fan

Smile

Quote:
OK: Cap your upload at about 4 KB/s to achieve a download rate from about 20-21 KB/s

PS: I hope you took the test multiple times and according to your location.
Hi, sorry to trouble you again. I have tried capping my upload at 5KB/s. However, sometimes, it still go above 5 KB/s. Also, if i were to download 3 torrents simultaneously, is it that the download rate will be shared among the 3 torrents? Thanks a lot.
Old 2004-07-10, 05:06   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Hi, sorry to trouble you again. I have tried capping my upload at 5KB/s. However, sometimes, it still go above 5 KB/s.
It's not unusual that your upload goes over 5KB/s at times, so no need to worry

Quote:
Also, if i were to download 3 torrents simultaneously, is it that the download rate will be shared among the 3 torrents? Thanks a lot.
In Azureus, you can prioritize your torrents (Right click on the torrent-->Set priority-->High/Low). If all torrents have the same priority, Azureus will try to share the upload equally thus influencing the download speed). If you want a file to finish faster than the other, set the priority on that one to "High" and other one to "Low". However, it's not unusual if the low prioritized torrent get's a higher download speed than the high priority torrent when it has more seeds etc. I always prioritize my torrents like that:
Few seeds/peers-->High
Lots of seeds/peers-->Low

BTW: You should download only 1 torrent at a time with such a low upload speed - 2 torrents at max.

Old 2004-07-10, 19:06   Link #11
anime_fan

Smile

Thank you. That really helps. My download becomes faster now