AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-07-21, 18:19   Link #41
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Wraith985, I also agree. You guys really should do this series. I think it will be a great one to do and I know that myself and my mother will be watching it.
Old 2004-07-23, 21:12   Link #42
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Wraith985, I also agree. You guys really should do this series. I think it will be a great one to do and I know that myself and my mother will be watching it.

Borrowing info from another thread, its rating last week was higher than Naruto (http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm#comic).

Probably the simple fact that it's broadcasted by NHK warrants the show a good audience to start with.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 22:07   Link #43
wao
OK.

It might just only be initial showing, though. Hopefully it will keep it up.

If this turns out to be a successful series in Japan, ...I dunno but then it'll mean more money for OLM, who I think already got quite a bit from animation all of Pokemon.

For some very strange reason (maybe not), every time I eat Maple Pecan Crunch (which is a great cereal btw, oh alright I'll stop advertising), I keep thinking of Marple... Marple Pecan Crunch o_O;
Old 2004-07-23, 23:33   Link #44
Shiorichan
Mistress of Froth-Bite

Froth-Bite has now just released the first episode of Great Detectives Poirot and Marple. Enjoy!
Shiorichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 00:40   Link #45
TronDD
Team the box!

Just saw the torrent submission. Can't connect to the tracker, though. Oh well, guess I wait. EDIT: There it goes.

Thanks Froth-bite.
Old 2004-07-24, 02:23   Link #46
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Yay, thank you, FB.
Old 2004-07-24, 06:23   Link #47
wao
OK.

Wow, I watched the first episode and the picture quality is amazingly clear. Why is it so clear? It's very sharp. I like it very much... Was it made for HDTV or something?
Old 2004-07-24, 10:28   Link #48
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Wahoo!! YAY!! Thank you Froth-Bite! You guys rock!!

Haven't watched the show yet as I'm waiting till I get home to do so as I've downloaded it at home already.
Old 2004-07-24, 11:00   Link #49
Shiorichan
Mistress of Froth-Bite

Quote:
Wahoo!! YAY!! Thank you Froth-Bite! You guys rock!!

Haven't watched the show yet as I'm waiting till I get home to do so as I've downloaded it at home already.
Well, we do try to please the fans. As for the picture quality, I'm not all that sure ^^; I just know that I did mention to both our raw provider how sharp the raw was and to our encoder how good it looked after encode.

I hope you all enjoy the first episode.
Shiorichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 11:01   Link #50
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

I've seen the first episode, I'm not impressed by it but I will continue it just to see how things turn out.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 13:44   Link #51
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

bugger, i watched this episode with high hopes, then it turns out i remebered the mystery from back in the good ol days of poirot, at least they're following them pretty well, but it spoiled the episode for me, because i remembered it all

#anime-classic
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 14:18   Link #52
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, it kinda spoiled it for me too, but that doesn't mean much to me. It's still very exciting to see exactly how it's pulled off in anime form. The part that's confusing me is how they're putting Ms. Marple and Poirot into the same show and connecting the two of them. If memory serves me right, they were entirely separate and didn't interact in the two books or have any direct connections. Then again it's been a few years since I read the books, so I could be wrong. But I love the duck. The duck was cute. And overall I think they're already doing a good job with this series. I'm now very anxious for episode 2.
Old 2004-07-24, 14:23   Link #53
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Well, it kinda spoiled it for me too, but that doesn't mean much to me. It's still very exciting to see exactly how it's pulled off in anime form. The part that's confusing me is how they're putting Ms. Marple and Poirot into the same show and connecting the two of them. If memory serves me right, they were entirely separate and didn't interact in the two books or have any direct connections. Then again it's been a few years since I read the books, so I could be wrong. But I love the duck. The duck was cute. And overall I think they're already doing a good job with this series. I'm now very anxious for episode 2.
I think that's where Maybelle come in, she makes the conection between Poirot and Ms. Marple. ^^

I think episode 1 start great and it makes alot more sense now that I watch FB translation. ^^
Old 2004-07-24, 14:40   Link #54
Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
I've seen the first episode, I'm not impressed by it but I will continue it just to see how things turn out.
I agree.
The thing about Poirot is the criminal is never the person the cops take in, and
you never are sure who the real criminal is until Poirot points him out in the end.
But in this show it was so obvious who the criminal was, that there was no
suspense oppose the way it is in the movies. so I think the show is probably aimed
at 10 years olds and younger.
I was hoping that each case would take maybe 2-4 episodes and also murders,
so I will be checking out next 2 or 3 episodes to see if it will change for the better.
Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 14:58   Link #55
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Thumbs up

Well that was an interesting adaptation that's for sure. I expected it to be "spoiled" having seen other shows and read the book before -- it's the same with any story based on mystery or an element of the unknown or a puzzle that the characters have to work out... once you know the answer, you've lost half the fun of the plot.

The designs and the animation were all lovely, I simply can't fault them, while the voice acting on the other hand left something to be desired. It was ok in it's own right but, probably because a standard has been set in my mind from other presentations, all the characters just didn't seem like themselves. I guess I'm really just referring to Poirot in this instance; I can't fault Maybelle and Oliver .. but then they are totally new. The music didn't really cut it for me either... but I can shrug that off as it might grow on me. Lastly, the story itself felt a little too watered down. I find a big part of the interest comes from the clever ways things are "discovered" and the way his "grey cells" work stuff out based on rather marginal evidence. With branches pruned to fit it felt a little bare, like it was lacking something... but not surprising if they are going to cram a whole thing into one 25 min time slot.

Still once I got into the feel of the show, accepted the style (and got past a few moments when Poirot's characterisation made me cringe) ... it was on the whole quite enjoyable I'm not sure my parents (Mother in particular; big Christie fan) would approve though
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 22:24   Link #56
LinChoiSin

it looks like it tagets a young audience but it doesn't really matter since i really love agahta Christie's books and i'm just glad to see them adapted in anime.To me Poirot will always be like "david suchet " in the tv series so this poirot really makes me laugh but he's ok .
LinChoiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 07:47   Link #57
kuru

I've watched the first episode (very rare thing for me to watch an episode in the day it's released) and liked it. Only thing I thought to be a little strange it's that it wasn't a murder case. As I remember it (I read almost all of their books - 70 or more, but it was quite some time ago) almost all of Agatha Christie's cases are murder cases.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 08:13   Link #58
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, if it's targeted towards kids, there may not be any. Then again, this may have just been a warmup episode to introduce all the main charecters.
Old 2004-07-25, 08:22   Link #59
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Well there is that small documentary in the end of episode 1, so I think this show also aim to promote Agatha Christie works to the younger generation, as well as homage to Agatha Christie.
Old 2004-07-25, 11:32   Link #60
TiggsPanther
Werepanther

Send a message via AIM to TiggsPanther Send a message via Yahoo to TiggsPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I've been reading Agatha Christie novels in english, and always envision Poirot as an English gentleman. It's kinda strange to see him talking in japanese. But I think I can get use to it no problem. Already to episode 2 and me like Mable's resolution. ^^
Ummmmmm. Wasn't Poirot Belgian, not English? (I just checked with my mum, how's a bit of an AC fan)

Tiggs