Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-10, 13:31   Link #1
Zipi-2
God

Send a message via ICQ to Zipi-2
something like Noir

Well im looking for something sylish like noir. doesnt have to be about assassins but i need good plot and an intresting one.
btw i watched cowboy bebop so dont recommand it to me :P
Old 2004-07-10, 14:55   Link #2
sothis

this link will probably be useful

my personal suggestion would be Gunslinger Girl, or, in a somewhat abstract sense (far more fanservice and a faster pace, but still very similar as far as mood/feel once the plot kicks in), Kiddy Grade.
Old 2004-07-10, 19:32   Link #3
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

I'm sure if you liked Noir you'll love Madlax, it has a similar story, presentation, and just general feel of Noir.
Old 2004-07-10, 19:37   Link #4
TronDD
Team the box!

I'd say Noir is way better than Madlax. However, Madlax has the same type of story telling. It's very mysterious with small pieces being reveiled as we go. I'd say it's worth a watch but Noir is better.
Old 2004-07-10, 19:52   Link #5
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

I dunno, there's something about Madlax's ability to look 300x better when she's doing her patented no-look-shoot-you-with-a-sniper-shot-with-a-handgun moves in her nice dress
Old 2004-07-12, 14:02   Link #6
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
I dunno, there's something about Madlax's ability to look 300x better when she's doing her patented no-look-shoot-you-with-a-sniper-shot-with-a-handgun moves in her nice dress
Well... That makes Madlax a lot less believable than Noir. Plus, Mirrielle's a hottie :P , unlike Madlax, who looks like she had a ribbon implanted into her scalp . All joking aside, you'll prolly like Madlax. I'm a huge Noir fan, and Madlax, which is made by Bee-Train (same company that did Noir) will seem like a scary flashback. The little girl (who looks like Kirika) is played by Kirika's voice actress, while the sniper with purple hair and squinty eyes (like Chloe, who has purple hair and squinty eyes) is played by Chloe's VA. There's a lot more connections. At the same time, though, there's a lot less action, but more mystery.

I personally thought Shingetsutan Tsukihime had a lot of the same vibe that Noir did. Like Noir, ST features a good amount of action, the same dark, cryptic atmosphere, an underlying mystery, and nice artwork. Also, both series feature too-drool-for OSTs. If you liked Noir's music, you will love ST's music. Same use of classical instruments/ chorus with modern beat. Plus, ST features great drama, an awesome storyline, and recurring flashbacks, that reveal the dark past of an individual.
Old 2004-07-12, 16:19   Link #7
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

If you like anything stylish then check out Hellsing and Samurai Champloo. But if you want something more like Noir... hmmm... well, you might enjoy Witch Hunter Robin.

Oh, and definitely check out Madlax, just as everybody above is saying. I like it a lot
Old 2004-07-13, 15:11   Link #8
chucky
Always impatient

I personally prefer Madlax even more than noir...... its story is done by the ame scriptwriter of gungrave. More importantly it seems to me madlax has recycled the noir story to deliver what Noir promised to do but failed to: focus on the puzzle and unfold it along the way.
Instead of allowing itself to be interrupted by meaningless red herrings like Intoccabile and Taiwan Mission in Noir, Madlax sticks to the main line of story and threads the pieces of the puzzle together. You almost have to watch all 14 episodes up to now to understand what is going on. That's a significant improvement from noir: noir tries to deal with too many things at once -- betrayal of idealism, relationship between the two chicks, redemption and sins bleh bleh.... and ends up going nowhere.
Old 2004-07-14, 13:25   Link #9
sothis

i like madlax too, but i definitely think it's something you should wait till the whole thing is out to watch.

i watched about 9 episodes, and was always confused, because on top of the story making no sense (though it does START to eventually), since you have to wait a bit in between episodes, i dunno, i tend to forget things and then need a catchup.

so yeah, i definitely think that's a good rec for noir, but i'd personally suggest waiting till it's finished. ^_^
Old 2004-07-14, 16:29   Link #10
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky
I personally prefer Madlax even more than noir...... its story is done by the ame scriptwriter of gungrave. More importantly it seems to me madlax has recycled the noir story to deliver what Noir promised to do but failed to: focus on the puzzle and unfold it along the way.
Instead of allowing itself to be interrupted by meaningless red herrings like Intoccabile and Taiwan Mission in Noir, Madlax sticks to the main line of story and threads the pieces of the puzzle together. You almost have to watch all 14 episodes up to now to understand what is going on. That's a significant improvement from noir: noir tries to deal with too many things at once -- betrayal of idealism, relationship between the two chicks, redemption and sins bleh bleh.... and ends up going nowhere.
Interesting. I thought exactly the opposite. I found Noir incredible because it took on all those lofty attempts and fulfilled them quite well.
Spoiler:
In fact, I felt that Madlax emphasized too much on the mystery and crypticalities (yay, i invented a word!). I found it fascinating for the first several episodes. After a while, I got tired of asking questions and have stopped watching temporarily. It's kinda like a math problem. A complex equation involving multiple parentheses and brackets open up on the left (, [, {. Eventually, you have to close them tho. ), ], }. Maadlax so far has only opened up brackets, and I have no idea how they intend to close so many of them. Oh well. Just my $0.02 (and a elementary arithmatic lesson )
Old 2004-07-18, 16:11   Link #11
refused!

If you liked Noir, you'll prolly like Avenger as well... http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/251.html

It reminds me alot of Noir, the tempo and somehow the story too... You gotta be prepared to watch it 2-3 times to get everything though, since the last episode leaves you more or less confused :P
Old 2004-07-19, 03:32   Link #12
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Try GunGrave, has an interesting plot, great characters and for some reason I feel the same attachment to the GG characters that I did w/ Noir.
Old 2004-07-23, 11:21   Link #13
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

If you are looking for the style, you should definitely get the other BeeTrain/Koichi animes, namely .hack//SIGN, Avenger and Madlax.

seems no one else has suggested Najica Blitz Tactics yet...
Closed Thread