AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-10, 16:33   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Good Sites for Taiyaki and other Japanese Foods?

Anyone know any really good sites for recipes on how to make various Japanese Cuisine? I'm most interested in that curious fish shaped pastry known as Taiyaki. (sp?) Most of the sites I googled were either in all Japanese or they did little more than mention that there's sites out there that have recipes for Japanese food, but provided no links.

Can anyone help me out? Or maybe even post some good recipes. Either is fine. Links are good, but so are good old fashioned recipes. Oh, and don't forget to at least post a link or recipe for Taiyaki!
Old 2004-07-10, 17:36   Link #2
TronDD
Team the box!

After I posted in the Pocky thread, I went looking a little bit.

This thread is all I found. But I didn't look too much. I don't cook.
Old 2004-07-10, 19:56   Link #3
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Question

So if I read some of that correctly...Taiyaki is a jelly-filled pancake??? The jelly being a sweet paste made from certain types of beans, seaweed, or other certain ingredients. Would sprinkling a little sugar on top ruin it or is it like most dishes and up to the person eating it?

Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 21:06   Link #4
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Hmmm, never made taiyaki yet (won't be heartbroken if I don't get around to it, either...), but I can do tonkatsu, okonomiyaki and takoyaki. Anyone who wants to hear about how to make them will have to give a yell here - I am not going to get into it just for laughs.

One thing I can tell you about taiyaki is that the red bean filling is made from azuki beans boiled and added to boiling sugar.

Boil 3/4 C of dried beans in 5C water for about 40 min; drain.

Put 1/4 C water (in fresh pot!), add 1 to 1-1/2 C sugar, low heat. Add beans, mashing them in, cook for 30 min. Add 2C water to pot, mix well. Mix 1 Tbsp corn starch or arrowroot into 1 Tbsp water, add to pot stir to thicken.

This goop can be spooned over mochi too. This stuff is incredibly sweet - there is no need to put extra sugar on anything filled with it.

For taiyaki I would guess that a flour-egg-water batter is used for the outside; a Yorkshire pudding batter ( cup milk; 1 egg, well-beaten; cup sifted all-purpose flour; teaspoon salt) is a slightly creamier substitute (which I use for okonomiyaki). You might add a little sugar to the batter - but the bean goop is awfully sweet so maybe don't bother.

A simple pancake with some of the goop on it is called oobanyaki. Pancakes need some baking powder for the fluffiness. The batter would be a bit different. Maybe you could just get the goop and some kind of pancake batter together and just settle for this.

The big problem with taiyaki is having (or not having, actually) the little fish-shaped press or mold. To improvise a contraption for taiyaki you could set some sort of cookie cutter or something in the middle of a greased frying pan, fill it halfway, add a little of the goop into the middle, then fill the rest of the mold and flip it (well, I could see myself pulling this off, anyway, if I really wanted taiyaki... except that I can just go to Mitsuwa Plaza and buy it ^_^). Or you could probably buy some sort of fish-shaped mold somewhere...
Old 2004-07-10, 21:19   Link #5
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
http://japanesefood.about.com/

I have used this site for recipes before, there is a recipe for pancakes filled with the bean paste.

http://japanesefood.about.com/librar...bldorayaki.htm
Old 2004-07-11, 14:53   Link #6
SPINAL-BRAIN
May be a Senior Member

Here is a site which described some famious food that are eaten by Japanese people :

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2035.html
SPINAL-BRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 21:23   Link #7
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
where i am
i can get all kinds of good stuff
taiyaki, takoyaki, pocky, etc

oh
and try natto
it has the most DELICIOUS smell in the whole wide world
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 05:21   Link #8
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MwyC
where i am
i can get all kinds of good stuff
taiyaki, takoyaki, pocky, etc

oh
and try natto
it has the most DELICIOUS smell in the whole wide world
Uggghhh....if you're going to tell us to try some awesome dish out there, give a brief description so people like me will get hungry and do a google search to find out more in depth information.

Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 12:48   Link #9
MwyC

heheheheh
its more fun if you just go to the store, buy the natto and eat it

well
more fun for me anyway
Old 2004-07-12, 13:00   Link #10
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MwyC
heheheheh
its more fun if you just go to the store, buy the natto and eat it

well
more fun for me anyway
More fun for you if other people just buy and eat natto? I am not sure that a lot of people would dive in even if they had it in front of them. Or tell you about it if they did.

Natto does smell like a good beer but looks way creepy. The sticky ropy white stuff reminds me of something I rather not mention. The little wizened soybeans look harmless - unless you know that soybeans aren't supposed to be deep brown...

Natto isn't something to cook either - it's done when you get it. So it's not the same as okonomiyaki and whatnot.
Old 2004-07-12, 22:50   Link #11
MwyC

a good beer?
i dunno...the natto i was given smelled more rank than beer
do the different brands have their distinct smell?