AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2010-09-20, 18:48   Link #161
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Luffy won't become king of the pirates? Nonsense. Of course he will. That's the point. Luffy isn't a revolutionary or anything like that. He's on an adventure, looking out for himself and his friends/family/whathaveyou. Same for the rest of the crew. If he accomplishes something like overthrowing the government along the way, so be it, but it would be ridiculous for One Piece, a series so focused on the concept of dreams, to have Luffy abandon the one driving force behind everything he's done. I won't even get started on the Star Wars comparison.

To your line about Roger, have you even read this manga? Roger didn't set out to become king. Roger set out to conquer the Grand Line. He succeeded, and in doing so became known as the king because he was the first. One Piece is the treasure he left behind, not something he wanted to protect.
Old 2010-09-20, 20:02   Link #162
hero147

I think it's almost guaranteed that Luffy will one day overthrow the World Government, whether it be before or after he finds One Piece. With the way the WG has been portrayed up till now, I don't see it surviving in the epilogue without some major reforms. I'm pretty sure it's been foreshadowed quite a few times in the manga.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 23:42   Link #163
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
I don't believe that, by the end of the manga, the world will still be governed by the current World Government.

I believe that the Strawhats will do a lot more than just achieving their dreams; they aer probably going to change the world as we know it.
Whatever the world structure I can't see pirates as being a legal existance. I mean you have good crews like Luffys', but there are bad groups out there. Someone has to be looking out for civilians and that will be the job of whatever structure exists after the World Government is destroyed or reformed. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what exists by series end.
Old 2010-09-21, 03:32   Link #164
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
Luffy won't become king of the pirates? Nonsense. Of course he will. That's the point. Luffy isn't a revolutionary or anything like that. He's on an adventure, looking out for himself and his friends/family/whathaveyou. Same for the rest of the crew. If he accomplishes something like overthrowing the government along the way, so be it, but it would be ridiculous for One Piece, a series so focused on the concept of dreams, to have Luffy abandon the one driving force behind everything he's done. I won't even get started on the Star Wars comparison.

To your line about Roger, have you even read this manga? Roger didn't set out to become king. Roger set out to conquer the Grand Line. He succeeded, and in doing so became known as the king because he was the first. One Piece is the treasure he left behind, not something he wanted to protect.
I didn't say Roger set out to become Pirate King but according to the story he did try to reach the peak of his profession. By doing something no one else did before he would be going for top pirate. Anyhow, I said he eventually didn't want to be Pirate King in the end, as he gave himself up to be executed instead of dying like a king. He could have chosen to die in battle or die of his disease in a sick bed. Instead he chose to give the WG their victory over him.

Luffy was a boy in the bubble, extremely naive. He's not really a Pirate even if he's an outlaw. He's an errant hero. Even though he is not a revolutionary, he's the son of revolutionary and a hero of the Marines. And in the end he will probably become a rebel. During his journey, he's coming to realize how messed up the world is and he's been shown to be extremely selfless.

He's able to make allies easily. He's diplomatic. He can inspire those around him and make people change their ways. IMO, the writer is setting him up to be the guy that brings great change to the world. Something no one has done for a very long time, something Roger didn't do. He's set to become some sort of messianic figure.

All the major anti-WG figures in One Piece have carved out their own niche. Roger was the King of the Pirates. Dragon is the Revolutionary. Luffy will become King of the Seas, First King of the New Era, Hero of the World. . . not Pirate King. He'll get his own title.

If Luffy does overthrow the WG, the good pirates along with the Marine/Navy defectors will have to become the law. It's how it goes in real wars. Once the rebels become the government, the guerillas stop being guerillas.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 12:50   Link #165
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
I didn't say Roger set out to become Pirate King but according to the story he did try to reach the peak of his profession. By doing something no one else did before he would be going for top pirate. Anyhow, I said he eventually didn't want to be Pirate King in the end, as he gave himself up to be executed instead of dying like a king. He could have chosen to die in battle or die of his disease in a sick bed. Instead he chose to give the WG their victory over him.
Just because he challenged himself to do what no one else had done does not automatically mean he was going for top pirate. He was dying, and did it for no other reason than to prove he could. He gave himself up to the government so he could inspire a new age of piracy.

To the rest, doesn't change the fact that Luffy's goal has never been to overthrow the government or do anything less than follow his own path. TO become pirate king is his dream, and he isn't going to give it up.
Old 2010-09-22, 06:50   Link #166
Keeper

This topic hasn't had anything to do with romance for quite a while. I wonder what policy AS has regarding splitting topics...
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 13:57   Link #167
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Well then to get back on track, I heard a tidbit related to this topic...

Apparently when Mayumi Tanaka (Luffy's seiyuu) was asked by a fan who was the one girl she could see Luffy being in a relationship with by the end of the series, she answered the most plausible character for him was Vivi.

I thought that was pretty interesting.
Old 2010-09-22, 15:18   Link #168
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post

Apparently when Mayumi Tanaka (Luffy's seiyuu) was asked by a fan who was the one girl she could see Luffy being in a relationship with by the end of the series, she answered the most plausible character for him was Vivi.

The one without a bounty... I see. She wouldn't want her son marrying some bad girl.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 00:48   Link #169
Keeper

I wonder about that. Vivi must feel rather angry at Luffy when she learns Luffy helped Crocodile, Mr. 1 and Mr. 2 escape Impel Down. I doubt she feels any sympathy towards those three, no matter what they will do. On the other hand, that might go for other strawhats too, I wouldn't be surprised if Nami gives Luffy real good beating when they see each other next time. Surely a hindrance towards potential romance.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 00:09   Link #170
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I wonder about that. Vivi must feel rather angry at Luffy when she learns Luffy helped Crocodile, Mr. 1 and Mr. 2 escape Impel Down. I doubt she feels any sympathy towards those three, no matter what they will do. On the other hand, that might go for other strawhats too, I wouldn't be surprised if Nami gives Luffy real good beating when they see each other next time. Surely a hindrance towards potential romance.
Hmm well I think Vivi would understand why Luffy did it. Considering she was trying to save all the people in her country she should understand Luffy wanting to save his brother. True it was releasing the people who caused her country suffering. But if it's that or Luffy being locked up forever (escaping would have been tough without them) I think Vivi would think it was the better choice.

Doubt the strawhats will make a big deal of it either. Nami probably will hit him on the head for doing something as insane as charging into a prison and letting out guys like Crocodile. But in the end I think the crew will just accept it and also understand why Luffy did it.
Old 2010-09-28, 01:23   Link #171
0rphen21
^.^

wouldn't it be nice if something big happened between Luffy and Hancock during the time skip
Old 2010-09-30, 14:31   Link #172
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

...But nothing did. And Luffy just blew her off.

No romance in One Piece, FTW. I didn't necessarily dislike Hancock as a character, or as a possible crewmate, but her and Luffy being in a relationship just didn't make any sense, and pulling a Goku and Chichi would have made me mad as well because this is One Piece, not Dragon Ball. One Piece isn't about romance, at all. It's about friendship.

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”
Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-30, 15:21   Link #173
Kallen4life

she can take a ship, fill it with food and follow with it after Luffy wherever he goes
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-30, 15:42   Link #174
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
...But nothing did. And Luffy just blew her off.

No romance in One Piece, FTW. I didn't necessarily dislike Hancock as a character, or as a possible crewmate, but her and Luffy being in a relationship just didn't make any sense, and pulling a Goku and Chichi would have made me mad as well because this is One Piece, not Dragon Ball.* One Piece isn't about romance, at all. It's about friendship.**
*I like the way you think. I prefered that Luffy be in a relationship with Nami all along.

**I guess showing romance would not be necessary for Luffy and Nami to have children in the story.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-01, 09:40   Link #175
Nacy

i agree with you...but i would like to see OP end...with Luffy be the pirate King and Nami smiling to him...and the rest of the crew behind :P(also would not like see kisses and that stuff but it would be great to end up like this-in my opinion of course) :sm ile:
Nacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-01, 13:19   Link #176
darthfury78

Considering that fact that Margaret is now a member of the Kuja Pirates, does anyone believe that Margaret x Hancock are lesbian lovers? She seems to have impure thoughts about Hancock. I think that Margaret has the hearts for her, as well as Luffy. What do you think?

Aside from that, it seems that Nami still has a thing for Luffy. I don't think that she'll take the news very well that he was sent to the island of women and have Hancock and Margaret as potential love interest. She might request a private talk with Luffy so that she could beat the crap out of him. Nami feels if Luffy won't respond to her hints that she likes him, then she'll just hit on him in order to get his attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post

It seems quite interesting that Mayumi feels that Luffy should be with Vivi, since she is not with the Straw Hats at the moment. Although I doubt that would deter Hancock, Margret, or Nami from wanting Luffy as well since all three have expressed an interest. And to some degree Robin and Alvida.

Last edited by darthfury78; 2010-10-13 at 22:32.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-01, 14:01   Link #177
Alpha Knight

Some of you seem to still have not noticed who Nami looks like a lot now her hairstyle is longer and wavy.

Last edited by Alpha Knight; 2010-10-02 at 05:58.
Alpha Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 03:04   Link #178
darthfury78

The Evolution of Luffy's Female Friends!

Have you notice whenever a female character becomes an awe with Luffy that they undergo a transformation into an attractive woman? For instance, when Alvida met Luffy for the first time, she was a large fat woman. After her defeat by Luffy, Alvida was moved by Luffy's actions that affected her tremendously. Once she acquired a devil fruit, she lost the weight and became a beautiful woman who sees things in a positive light.

In the case of Nami, Robin, Vivi, Margaret, and Hancock, Luffy had a positive affect on each of them respectively. Some of them looked plain and ordinary until they became infected by Luffy's personality. The one noticable evolution of each of them was that their cup size increased to a F-Cup or higher. For these women, it pays to be a friend of Luffy because his personality causes them to become caring and protective individuals toward him. Does anyone else agrees with my theory?

One could say that the bigger the woman's chest, the higher her level of interest in Luffy.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 05:25   Link #179
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*´∀`)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfury78 View Post
Have you notice whenever a female character becomes an awe with Luffy that they undergo a transformation into an attractive woman? For instance, when Alvida met Luffy for the first time, she was a large fat woman. After her defeat by Luffy, Alvida was moved by Luffy's actions that affected her tremendously. Once she acquired a devil fruit, she lost the weight and became a beautiful woman who sees things in a positive light.

In the case of Nami, Robin, Vivi, Margaret, and Hancock, Luffy had a positive affect on each of them respectively. Some of them looked plain and ordinary until they became infected by Luffy's personality. The one noticable evolution of each of them was that their cup size increased to a F-Cup or higher. For these women, it pays to be a friend of Luffy because his personality causes them to become caring and protective individuals toward him. Does anyone else agrees with my theory?

One could say that the bigger the woman's chest, the higher her level of interest in Luffy.
Th-this post ! o.o;
There's so much things that I want to say about it, but for some reasons I can't say it o.o;

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 11:46   Link #180
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Send a message via Skype™ to Poetic Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfury78 View Post