AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-10, 22:35   Link #1
SoulDrinker
wandering soul

Send a message via MSN to SoulDrinker
shaolin soccer

just saw the movie the other day, funny stuff. so wasnt the movie supposed to come out like 2 years ago (i live in canada) so what happen?
Old 2004-07-10, 22:48   Link #2
bunnykun
What is, what is?

The Hong King release was 2001, but the us release was just recent i suppose.
bunnykun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 23:49   Link #3
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulDrinker
just saw the movie the other day, funny stuff. so wasnt the movie supposed to come out like 2 years ago (i live in canada) so what happen?
Originally the movie was suposed to be released in theatres, but for untold reasons that never happened as far as I know. It doesn't really bother me, I own the movie on R3. ^^
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 00:45   Link #4
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think this movie sucks... really lame jokes anf stuff... I like his earlier movies much better...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 02:39   Link #5
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

I wouldn't call Shaolin Soccer Stephen Chow's best movie (that honour supposedly belongs to either "Imperial Agent '008'" or "Death Row Lawyer"(?)) but it is at least one of his better movies (though it has too-stupid-to-laugh moments like that karaoke segment...).

If you want to see one of the worst Stephen Chow movies, get his "6 Dollar Man" or is it called "Invincible Transformer" *shrug*
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 04:24   Link #6
wao
OK.

What is this doing in DVD & Licensed? It's not an anime, for crying out loud... o_o

And I've never watched it myself, but it showed here.... ages ago, okay maybe not like 1995 or something, but it was certainly more than 2 years ago. (Or my memory is b0rked, which is also very likely.)
Old 2004-07-11, 06:20   Link #7
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
And I've never watched it myself, but it showed here.... ages ago, okay maybe not like 1995 or something, but it was certainly more than 2 years ago. (Or my memory is b0rked, which is also very likely.)
According to IMDb, Shaolin Soccer was released in 2001 (as Siu lam juk kau). 2002 it was released under it's International title of Shaolin Soccer.

Excellent film, well worth watching, very funny I thought. Certainly don't have to be a soccer fan to enjoy it. It went down very well at our Anime Club.

And I moved it into DVD & Licensed, but decided to move it back after all...
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 06:32   Link #8
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Well, Shaolin Soccer is certainly not Zhou Xing Chi's worst movie, but it's one of his worse works IMO, and Zhao Wei is simply too ugly and annoying...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 09:08   Link #9
kamij0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Well, Shaolin Soccer is certainly not Zhou Xing Chi's worst movie, but it's one of his worse works IMO, and Zhao Wei is simply too ugly and annoying...
Certainly not the worst IMO, as usual another one of his classic. The only thing is that its using CG, he's using a new theme to bring about his movies.
Old 2004-07-11, 11:32   Link #10
Inn3rchild
Child Forever

Send a message via ICQ to Inn3rchild Send a message via AIM to Inn3rchild Send a message via MSN to Inn3rchild Send a message via Yahoo to Inn3rchild
This is a great Chow movie, theres loads more you should watch.
Old 2004-07-11, 11:43   Link #11
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

And don't forget the Millionaire Shaolin Soccer Charity Night for more laughs.
Old 2004-07-11, 12:46   Link #12
7thMethuselah

I don't know about the US, but here it was shown on tv about a year ago. Not the greatest movie ever but funny

7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 13:22   Link #13
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Originally the movie was suposed to be released in theatres, but for untold reasons that never happened as far as I know. It doesn't really bother me, I own the movie on R3. ^^

Its simple Miramax liscensed it and they like to sit on the movies they liscense for a long time. I REALLY hate that company, they are the equivilent to 4kids in my book. They edit the hell out of chinese movies and slap shitty dubs on their dvds with no original language track.

The only reason Miramax is releasing Hero this early is because Quintin Tarentino pushed so hard for them to release it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
I wouldn't call Shaolin Soccer Stephen Chow's best movie (that honour supposedly belongs to either "Imperial Agent '008'" or "Death Row Lawyer"(?)) but it is at least one of his better movies (though it has too-stupid-to-laugh moments like that karaoke segment...).

If you want to see one of the worst Stephen Chow movies, get his "6 Dollar Man" or is it called "Invincible Transformer" *shrug*
As for Chow movies, I really love Shaolin Soccer its what made me into a Stephen Chow fanboy. After watching that movie I went and bought just about every Stephen Chow movie I could find on ebay. Man he has some crappy movies and a lot of the subtitles on the dvds I got are barely readable. Maybe because most of them might be bootlegs I dunno.

See the titles of the movies you mentioned Yebyosh I'm sure I have those movies they are just titled differently. The Imperial Agent 008 that I have is called From Beijing with love, Great movie btw one of his best definitly.

My favorite Chow movie is God of Cookery and others that I enjoyed a bunch are Hail the Judge, King of Beggers, Forbidden City Cop and Fight back to school.

Oh yeah one more thing Stephen chows new movie Kung Fu or Kung Fu Hustle is supposed to hopefully come out this year. Doubtful we'll see it in August but hopefully this year. http://www.monkeypeaches.com/

Last edited by Tommy; 2004-07-11 at 13:45.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 14:40   Link #14
Inn3rchild
Child Forever

Send a message via ICQ to Inn3rchild Send a message via AIM to Inn3rchild Send a message via MSN to Inn3rchild Send a message via Yahoo to Inn3rchild
Yeh, i heard about Kung fu hastle as well, hope it's gonna be good. Which it will, because he's Stephen Chow.
Old 2004-07-12, 17:51   Link #15
Jonte
. . . . .

Send a message via ICQ to Jonte Send a message via MSN to Jonte
I really liked the movie. Havent seen to many asian non anime movies though. My favorite scene is either the steamed bread baking scene or the "war" scene. ^_^
Jonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 18:38   Link #16
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

IMO, all the Chinese movies are getting crappy or I've been just watching all the crappy ones. I used to watched a whole lot of Chinese movies when I was a kid (around 1995) because my Dad was a movie fanatic. I watched movies like God of Gamblers I-III, God of Cooking aka Cooking Master, A Chinese Ghost Story and Imperial Agent 008. They were all hilarious movies, but compared to the ones today they are not as funny. Actors like Andy Lau, Zhou Xing Chi, and Lun Ga Fai(sp?) seems to be losing it.
Old 2004-07-13, 05:23   Link #17
vl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonte
I really liked the movie. Havent seen to many asian non anime movies though. My favorite scene is either the steamed bread baking scene or the "war" scene. ^_^
my favourite part of shaolin soccer was when the main char threw a egg in one of the guy's mouth and the fat guy comes running up and then tackles him and eats it from his mouth (It was soooo hilariious to see the guy tense up his body ex: make his toes point outward)

also god of cookery was hella funny too my favourite part was when that guy eats the "pissing shrimp fish ball" *not quite sure what its translated to, and the guy suddenly imagines hes on a beach running with like silk clothes, it was sooo gross but hilarious at the same time
vl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 06:55   Link #18
wer

I like his <Flirting Scholar(唐伯虎点秋香)> best. (I found its English name on web.)Because it have a lot of good fight scenes and poetic dialogue.
Old 2004-07-13, 09:04   Link #19
SoulDrinker
wandering soul

Send a message via MSN to SoulDrinker
i would say my favorite part would be the at the bakery when they break into song and dance
Old 2004-07-13, 09:51   Link #20
Inn3rchild
Child Forever

my fav part is the ending, when you see the woman park the car, the women on the banana and the men catchind the bus. That was hularious!