AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Old 2004-07-20, 06:43   Link #81
Shadowlord
~DESU

The reason most people throughout the world hate America, is mostly based off of America's military policies. The excess spending and the assumption by its leaders that they have the right to decide things for other countries. Also, the arrogance their leaders have thinking they are the best and they have the right to decide for the world. Most, at least I think, based their hatred off the political role, not the societal. At least, thats why I think they do. Actions such as invading other countries like Iraq, and saying its for the worlds good, doesn't help. Whether the U.S. thinks its for the worlds good, doesn't matter. They have no right, especially since they are supposed to be in Afghanistan looking for Osama, to threaten the world because they have terrorists living within their countrries. They should take a hard look at themselves, because many terrorists live in their own country. If the U.S. would let other countries solve their own problems, people wouldn't dislike them as much.

I kind of got off topic their, but I fell I should voice my opinion on WHY people don't like the U.S. (which is more on topic) as they would like less outspoken countries.
Old 2004-07-20, 06:57   Link #82
stpehen
kisses for all

Here's a little append for the above post...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project...erican_Century
Old 2004-07-20, 07:19   Link #83
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
I hope it's not that off topic, but I think that my question does not deserve a thread on it's own:

In various messageboards I've noticed Americans making fun of Canadians, i.e. "Oh, well, just as expected from a Canadian". Since I'm neither American nor Canadian I won't get this "jokes" or where they originated from, so anyone mind clearing that up? Thanks ^_^''
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 07:29   Link #84
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen

If that ever happens I will become a terrorist, and I mean it.
Old 2004-07-20, 07:34   Link #85
Yuun
~Trying to Enjoy Life~

Send a message via MSN to Yuun
Hmm... i'll choose Japan though i'm satisfied with my life here at my beloved country. I'll gladly accept the citizenship of Japan and yet again i feel lucky that i'm born in My beloved country, Malaysia.

"Malaysia Boleh!!"

I'm Chinese and love to speak a Chinese's Slang...
Hope you get the point in my message... >_<
Yuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 07:39   Link #86
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
I hope it's not that off topic, but I think that my question does not deserve a thread on it's own:

In various messageboards I've noticed Americans making fun of Canadians, i.e. "Oh, well, just as expected from a Canadian". Since I'm neither American nor Canadian I won't get this "jokes" or where they originated from, so anyone mind clearing that up? Thanks ^_^''
I'm an American (don't hate me, I have nothing to do with the military decisions) and it seems that the root of the Canada "bashing" seems to be that Canada isn't respected as being much of a serious country. Here we have THE major military and economic power (U.S., the new evil empire?) sitting next to a country that is...well Canada. I've heard people joke that it's not a 'real' country.

Aside from that, I don't really know. I have wonderful relatives in Canada, and it's a beautiful, sparsely populated land. Some things are great about the country and some things are not (so say my relatives). I don't personally bash Canada, or any country for that matter (although I am critical of my own, and at the same time I know I'm really lucky to be living here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord
If that ever happens I will become a terrorist, and I mean it.
God forbid that either should happen. I am so voting against Bush.
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 07:49   Link #87
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Oh, thanks for the quick answer. But there was one part that just fit the description I mentioned above perfectly (I dunno if you did that deliberately or not )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briareos
Here we have THE major military and economic power sitting next to a country that is...well Canada.

Quote:
I'm an American (don't hate me, I have nothing to do with the military decisions).
Don't worry, I can distinguish between "normal" American people and the government, although the people in the government got elected by the "normal" American people. So if you did not like Bush's military decision, vote for someone else in the upcoming elections. (I must admit, though, that the intentions of politicians are not always clear before the elections, so I gave a rather simplified and idealized suggestion)
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?

Old 2004-07-20, 10:02   Link #88
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckert
Being hated because of the way I live? Please. It's not my fault these people aren't living a 'better' life than they think they should like myself. I can tell you right now that there are millions of people living better than I am, as well as in other foreign countries. I sure as hell am not bitter about it and don't hate them for living a better life than me. I feel everyone deserves to live a good and peaceful life if you have a good heart.

But then again, these 'extremist' people are so messed up in the head you can't reason with them and they're motives will never change. But I agree with your theory that people think like this, and they have no sympathy from me at all.
Sorry if I sounded rude or something, I meant to say something like what Mr Paper said. I'm just not good at explaining myself.
Kyolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 10:15   Link #89
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen

How can some country go ahead and want to control everything when they can't keep a lower crime rate in their own country?
Kyolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 10:40   Link #90
HopelessLover

Most decievingly evil country to live in:

America: why? Becuase half the time the government brain washes it's people to think what ever they want them to think, and the other half of the time they are taking there hard earned money away with an evil, vile, syndicately deprived system called "taxes".

Sexiest place to live in:

Virgin islands: Lets just say, there are no virgins on this island

Luxurious place to live:

Monnoco: (I hope I spelled the name right) This place is high class rich people village. If you get shit loads of money in your hands, come here.

Best country to live in:

Depends: There are alot of cultures and life styles and many different people in the world which makes it unique. Every where you go, from britain, to arabia, to china, to spain, to australia--It's going to be exciting, fun, and new. Singling out one country that is the best out of all the others is impossible becuase so many countries offer things that other's don't and becuase of this, no one country is better then the other.
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 12:02   Link #91
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Its Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover

America: why? Becuase half the time the government brain washes it's people to think what ever they want them to think, and the other half of the time they are taking there hard earned money away with an evil, vile, syndicately deprived system called "taxes".

Sexiest place to live in:

Virgin islands: Lets just say, there are no virgins on this island

Luxurious place to live:

Monnoco: (I hope I spelled the name right) This place is high class rich people village. If you get shit loads of money in your hands, come here.

Best country to live in:

Depends: There are alot of cultures and life styles and many different people in the world which makes it unique. Every where you go, from britain, to arabia, to china, to spain, to australia--It's going to be exciting, fun, and new. Singling out one country that is the best out of all the others is impossible becuase so many countries offer things that other's don't and becuase of this, no one country is better then the other.
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 12:27   Link #92
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover

Oh yeah, and the rest of the world is full of innocent angels. There are worse places to live, and we're not the only country that has taxes (and the US certainly doesn't have the worst percentage of taxation). The US certainly has its problems, but we're not alone. We just stand out because we're the biggest kid on the block (bully or otherwise). Is regurgitating propaganda the best you can do in insulting the US?
Old 2004-07-20, 13:14   Link #93
0ink
Animal Mafia Godfather

Send a message via AIM to 0ink Send a message via Yahoo to 0ink
Sweden is a great place to live in.

I RECOMMEND YOU ALL TO COME!
Old 2004-07-20, 13:22   Link #94
Bracken33

Quote:
The reason most people throughout the world hate America, is mostly based off of America's military policies. The excess spending and the assumption by its leaders that they have the right to decide things for other countries. Also, the arrogance their leaders have thinking they are the best and they have the right to decide for the world.
If the U.S. would let other countries solve their own problems, people wouldn't dislike them as much.
I don´t know about the rest of the world but here in Germany and probably in many other european countries imho the new anti-american wave started with George W. Bush.
In other parts of the world it probably started ealier (see Mr. Paper´s post).

I think the people here believe that the USA under the Bush administration is not the same as before.
I´m an old fart (32) and cannot remember that an american president was as much hated as him in this country. This includes his Dad and Ronald Reagan.

A lot of the USA´s moral high ground is lost in the eyes of the people here. Guantanamo and Iraq (esspecially Abu G.) severely damaged americas reputation.

I think the problem will go away (at least in Europe) if america again plays by the rules (no american exeptionalism).

Quote:
I´m also a forum addict .

I think the canadians can still consider themselve lucky. On most massageboards I visit the french get by far the most bashing.

On some messageboards the USA rightwings are really having a campaign against anything outside of the USA.
It goes like this: Copy and paste a 500 words long article from a rightwing source and write one sentence of own opinion how evil the EU, UN or the french are.
Repeat this at least twice a day.
Sometimes the europeans and canadians fire back .

Other wars are also frequent like Democrats against Republicans.

These discussions are fun if you are the right kind of person. But I´m tired and happy that ANIMESUKI-forums is so peaceful.

Quote:
I'm an American (don't hate me, I have nothing to do with the military decisions) and it seems that the root of the Canada "bashing" seems to be that Canada isn't respected as being much of a serious country.
For american rightwings no other country is a serious country .

No, I don´t hate you. I know that most american people are reasonable and nice persons.

Bracken33 hopes this post is understandable and stylish.
If this is not the case please excuse my bad english.
Bracken33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 13:33   Link #95
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
...it seems that the root of the Canada "bashing" seems to be that Canada isn't respected as being much of a serious country. Here we have THE major military and economic power (U.S., the new evil empire?) sitting next to a country that is...well Canada. I've heard people joke that it's not a 'real' country.
I am quite curious as to how Canada comes across as not being a "serious country." Even more than that, I'm curious for the justification behind the joke that Canada isn't a 'real' country...

No personal jabs or insults intended, I'm just curious. ^^
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 13:59   Link #96
Forsaken102
Insanity Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Forsaken102 Send a message via Yahoo to Forsaken102
Heh; I plan to move up there soon. Buy land cheap, live the life of a hermit... Heck yeah. My kinda life. I won't have to worry about all these bloody public opinions of Americans.

As for our foreign policy, I'm pretty well pissed too. I believe America has no right to go in to another country and force Democracy upon them. (*wonders when the Iron Curtain and Communist Scare will be compared to this... if it hasn't been already*) We shouldn't have been there in the first place, and in my opinion, we shouldn't be thinking of ourselves as "Above and Beyond" the rest of the world.

I am what I believe many of you would consider an "isolationist"... I think we should set things to right where we've screwed up, withdraw completely into ourselves, and try to boost American economy by slapping huge import tarriffs on everything. Bring the business back home. Then, of course, close off our borders and let the rest of the world do without us. We'd have to maintain our military, of course... but I'm not fond of being hated by everyone outside the borders of my country. Since everyone hates us so much, they can have thier conflicts and death and killing without our help.

Q: When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go, gone also, would he have brought you, meaning you and she, with him to the station?

MR. BROOKS: Objection. That question should be taken out and shot.
Forsaken102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:14   Link #97
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracken33
I don´t know about the rest of the world but here in Germany and probably in many other european countries imho the new anti-american wave started with George W. Bush.
In other parts of the world it probably started ealier (see Mr. Paper´s post).

I think the people here believe that the USA under the Bush administration is not the same as before.
I´m an old fart (32) and cannot remember that an american president was as much hated as him in this country. This includes his Dad and Ronald Reagan....

No, I don´t hate you. I know that most american people are reasonable and nice persons.
I'm an old fogie too (34) and you're right, no US president has been so disliked and hated. Actually, a lot of Americans did and do love Regan. I know he got a lot of flak overseas and here in America.

To me, Bush reeks of the good-old-boy entitlement attitude. As one comedian put it, "Bush was born on third base, but acts like he hit a triple." He also seems to be very black and white, which is in line with his "high moral" stance. Mr. Bush does seem to believe that he's "above the law", so to speak. Sadly, I was one of the idiots who voted for him, but that won't happen again.

Guantanamo and Abu G. are horrid examples of inhumane behavior, but unfortunately they don't surprise me. There's a fair amount of ignorant hate here (I'm sure there is in other countries, I just don't see it first or second hand). Heck it wasn't all that long ago that two white men chained a black man to the back of a pickup and dragged him until his body fell apart. (I do hope they rot in hell, if there is such a place.) If a couple of idiots do that, imagine the hate and prejudice that is not seen daily. Fuel that with people angered and enraged about the 9/11 attack, and there's sure to be some of the blind haters that end up (or are already) in the military wanting revenge. Some of the haters in high ranks encourage or turn a blind eye and, presto, you have Abu G. Hatred continues the cycle of violence. I've seen the type who casually say "kill 'em all" and seem to mean it, and they sicken me. Sadly I'm not representative of all Americans, but neither are the haters.

It's really sad that some Americans take the "if they're not American, screw 'em" attitude, and it's even more sad that some of them (at least their actions are in line with that attitude) are in power. We'll see if we can change that this election. Not that it'll undo all the damage that's been done to foreign relations. (Please God, let Kerry be better.)

I wonder how many Americans know the sharp difference between patriotism and nationalism. Actually, I wonder how many people world-wide know.

Anyhow, the Canadians are decent neighbors in my book. In fact I really don't have a beef with any nations, really. Of course, it helps to remember that we're all human, with the potential for good and evil and everything inbetween.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
I am quite curious as to how Canada comes across as not being a "serious country." Even more than that, I'm curious for the justification behind the joke that Canada isn't a 'real' country...

No personal jabs or insults intended, I'm just curious. ^^
I honestly have no idea. I think some people just like picking on others and Canada falls into the others catagory. South Park and the movie Iron Giant take jabs at Canada off the top of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Giant
Yes, but who built it? Communists, Russians, Aliens, (pause) Canadians? I don't know, all I know is that we have to destory it before it destroys us.
I really don't know the story behind the diminuative view of Canada. I was just guessing at motivation from what I've heard others say.

Last edited by Briareos; 2004-07-20 at 14:36. Reason: "I am quite curious" response
Old 2004-07-20, 15:35   Link #98
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

As a preface to this post I will go ahead and say that I know I should probably just keep my mouth shut on this one.....but I just don't feel like it.

I say all of this in response to the incredible amount of perceived U.S.-bashing in the past page of this thread. Note that I say none of this to offend, but instead to defend the values I hold dear. On to the rant:

Here comes the bombshell......I can't wait to vote for Bush this November. That's because I truly believe that is the most honest, moral man for the job. I think that much of the time, the media in other countries (and definitely in the U.S.) works to shade him in an unflattering light. That is, I believe the entire media corp. has a very strong political bias to the left.

I also support Bush in his foreign policies. I don't think Bush bears any ill will towards the citizens of other countries. I think, instead, that he is frustrated with some of the leadership in foreign (especially European) countries. He believes that to protect his country, he must take swift actions that do not always include getting a permission slip from the U.N.

He felt (aided by information that we are not privy to) that Iraq had to be invaded. In fact, there are a lot of news stories that are being buried by the media now that tell about how weapons of mass destruction are being found and were shipped out of the country before the invasion. Who knows how much else has been buried. Without further information, I choose to trust my president.

And certainly, the U.S. has made mistakes in the past- but then so has every other country. Every country acts in its own interest. This is simply an intrinsic quality of the term "country". But the U.S. certainly does a lot of good too. $10 billion dollars is being sent to deal with AIDS in Africa alone. Certainly, the U.S. and its citizens account for a large portion of the goodwill and charity that takes place around the world.

Personally, I think the U.S. is often hated partly for the past, but partly for:

1. It's perceived hegemonic power
2. It's dedication to Christianity (which, by its own dictates, can be a very offensive religion- nobody take offense, i'm a Christian)
3. It's political/economic non-conformity- the fact that it is probably the least socialistic country in the world.
Old 2004-07-20, 16:31   Link #99
HopelessLover

Quote:
Oh yeah, and the rest of the world is full of innocent angels. There are worse places to live, and we're not the only country that has taxes (and the US certainly doesn't have the worst percentage of taxation). The US certainly has its problems, but we're not alone. We just stand out because we're the biggest kid on the block (bully or otherwise). Is regurgitating propaganda the best you can do in insulting the US?

I can say what ever I want about the U.S. becuase I am from the U.S. But more importantly, the fact that I made you so unearthy that you had to reply to my remarks becuase I made only alittle skeptive critisizm of our country, only further proves how true my statement is, and how brain washed the government has made it's people to actually get fired up about thinks like this.

BTW, I know your not talking about propaganda when U.S. are the most craziest of propaganda masters.

Edit: Wsheit Is a prime exsample of severe government brain-washed syndrome.
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 16:35   Link #100
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
Here comes the bombshell......I can't wait to vote for Bush this November. That's because I truly believe that is the most honest, moral man for the job. I think that much of the time, the media in other countries (and definitely in the U.S.) works to shade him in an unflattering light. That is, I believe the entire media corp. has a very strong political bias to the left.
Don't you think that it is a little bit too far fetched to assume that the world's media has united against Bush? It's a given that every news source is biased more or less, but couldn't it be that they tell the truth sometimes? Also, doesn't Bush own a (news) channel himself (I forgot the name but could it be Fox News or something like that?)? Isn't it also true that reporting about war casualties in Iraq was/is forbidden as well?

Quote:
I also support Bush in his foreign policies. I don't think Bush bears any ill will towards the citizens of other countries.
I admit that I don't think that Bush wanted to harm any Iraqi citizens deliberately, but for me, it's the result that counts in the end and not the fact that he didn't not want to harm them. Innocent people died during the war and will die in the aftermath; I just hope the deaths of the few will justify the happiness of many. But only time will tell if a democracy in Iraq will bear fruits or not and if the citizens will be happier in the post-Saddam state than before.

Quote:
I think, instead, that he is frustrated with some of the leadership in foreign (especially European) countries. He believes that to protect his country, he must take swift actions that do not always include getting a permission slip from the U.N.
By doing that he rendered the U.N. needless and infringe upon one of the selfimposed rules himself: Invading a country. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but attacking another country is only allowed as a preventive blow - which it wasn't since they had little to none facts about WMDs in Iraq at that time) So does 2 wrong make a right? Does it mean everyone can invade other countries just because "He believes that to protect his country, he must take swift actions that do not always include getting a permission slip from the U.N." and hope that he will find proof later on? If that would be the case, there'd be chaos in the world

Quote:
He felt (aided by information that we are not privy to) that Iraq had to be invaded. In fact, there are a lot of news stories that are being buried by the media now that tell about how weapons of mass destruction are being found and were shipped out of the country before the invasion. Who knows how much else has been buried. Without further information, I choose to trust my president.
I wonder where you got that information from? From the media itself? But isn't the media biased? If I wanted I could say that I believe the entire media corp. has a very strong political bias to the right. Do you get where I'm going? A says media is biased to the left, B says media is biased to the right. But who is right? Honestly I don't know.

Quote:
And certainly, the U.S. has made mistakes in the past- but then so has every other country. Every country acts in its own interest. This is simply an intrinsic quality of the term "country".
Indeed, no country that I know of has not done any mistakes. But why transfer the mistakes of the past to the present? I try to judge people on how the act now and not on how they acted in the past. But who am I to say that? I was not directly affected by any "bad deeds" from the US or someone else for that matter in the past, so I'm naive, ne?

Quote:
But the U.S. certainly does a lot of good too. $10 billion dollars is being sent to deal with AIDS in Africa alone. Certainly, the U.S. and its citizens account for a large portion of the goodwill and charity that takes place around the world.
Just because someone does charity here and there does not give someone a "credit" that they can exchange to do some bad deeds that go unpunished. Other countries provide financial aid as well, not in the same extent the US does, but they do and I don't see them invading countries. (Note that you are the only one I know of who justifies waging war with financial aid. Honestly, I don't see the connection there)
BTW:

Quote:
Every country acts in its own interest.
This accounts for financial aid as well. Give the masses money, and they'll like you and will do what you want.

I hope I did not affend anyone by writing this (I normally stay away from political topics, especially the one involving the US). I even tried to leave out as many sarcastic remarks as I caught while writing, so, yeah ^_^

Sidenote: I'm glad for you that you found a politician with whom ideals and moral you can identify 100%. It's only understandable that you'll vote for him and I don't think anyone with an IQ above 5 will disagree here (I hope) ^_^

PS: The post got rather large and I don't want to spell check, so I'm sorry if there are major grammatical and spelling mistakes.
PPS: This thread turned out the same way the Fahrenheit thread did (talking about the US government etc)