AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-18, 20:52   Link #1
atua

Marimite S2 Ep.03 (official thread)

We finally got started on the Graduation arc with this episode. I thought the episode was a little slow, but did pick up towards the end with the cute first year Yamayurikai performance.

Spoiler for Episode 4:
Old 2004-07-18, 23:14   Link #2
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by atua

Spoiler for Episode 4:
Episode 3 is surprisingly a simple story. I think marimite fans do not need to have a spoiler. One thing that tinkles my memory. What is the name of the song sung by Lillian choir? It reminds me of my high school days.

Yes, episode 4 is very interesting.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-18, 23:52   Link #3
Takemi_Ikazuchi

kneel down and worship Yoshino
Old 2004-07-19, 01:35   Link #4
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-19, 01:44   Link #5
Hikata
Translator For AYU =)

I really enjoyed watching episode 3.
It was better comapred to the other two stories.
The end of the story moved my heart. That was soo cute

As for the insert song. I have no idea. I think it's one of those made up songs.
Arg, it's a pain to try to listen what they are saying when yumi speaks while
the chior is singing ==;

Now I'm looking forward for Episode 4! XD
Old 2004-07-19, 20:49   Link #6
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart
One thing that tinkles my memory. What is the name of the song sung by Lillian choir? It reminds me of my high school days.
It's a famous hymn that is used throughout Japanese missionaries at graduation. The official Japanese title is "Hymn #405 Kami-tomo ni imashite." It is known throughout the rest of the world as Rankin's "God Be With You Till We Meet Again."

However, the lyrics used in Marimite is not the the official hymn in Japanese. Perhaps they weren't able to get acknowledgement - since I do not see it in the credits. I assume they opted to use a different lyric that best matches the aura of Marimite.
Old 2004-07-19, 23:34   Link #7
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Yes, thanks for reminding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
However, the lyrics used in Marimite is not the the official hymn in Japanese. Perhaps they weren't able to get acknowledgement - since I do not see it in the credits. I assume they opted to use a different lyric that best matches the aura of Marimite.
Definitely, the original lyric does not mention about Virgin Mary, but it is possible that it is one of the catholic version of the song.

This a site which shows the original lyric plus a nice mp3

By the way, lordwu manages to get a raw without time-marking and bit-torrenting it at his site. I wonder how he could get it since TVTokyo is the only broadcaster for the 2nd season of Marimite.

Last edited by SleeplessHeart; 2004-07-20 at 00:14.
Old 2004-07-20, 21:04   Link #8
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Well I just have to buy that OST badly
Old 2004-07-20, 21:56   Link #9
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
Well I just have to buy that OST badly
Strangely, the BGM will only be available in September (24th September to be precise). A strange marketing strategy.
Old 2004-07-25, 22:51   Link #10
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I found it a tad strange that Yumi knew what Sachiko said to her while she was obviously sleeping in the infirmary...

Sachiko is quite perceptive to see that Sei could cheer up Yumi while ironically, she herself as her onee-sama, probably can't herself. I wonder how she feels about that...

And I see Sei had tricked the three of them into doing the performances. Poor girls, they are just puppets under her control!
Old 2004-07-26, 23:57   Link #11
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
And I see Sei had tricked the three of them into doing the performances. Poor girls, they are just puppets under her control!
I thought the same!

It was a very nice episode, and Yumi reminded me when I forgot to wear our formal uniform in my school to the photo of the class, it wasnt very nice specially since everyone kept mocking at me >_<! Is this part that raises a question:

Yumi thinks that maybe the virgin Mary was punishing her for working too much, I wonder, how much religion is involved in their lives, could all the girls be considered catholic? or they follow the traditional religions of Japan with a mixof catholic's customs? Im intrigued about it ^^

On a related: thinking of the Virgin Mary as someone who punishs is certainly odd, the Virgin Mary is pure love and compasion for catholics (well, at least around here afaik) and the one who punishes is God.
Old 2004-07-27, 00:17   Link #12
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
Yumi thinks that maybe the virgin Mary was punishing her for working too much, I wonder, how much religion is involved in their lives, could all the girls be considered catholic? or they follow the traditional religions of Japan with a mixof catholic's customs? Im intrigued about it ^^
You are thinking too hard. Yumi was saying that as a figure of speech.

And, no not all of the girls are devout Catholics - Japan is a country where you can get as close to atheism and polytheism combined. As I said before, we are not Buddhists but we give people a Buddhist burial. We are not Christian, but we "celebrate" Christmas and St. Valentine's Day. We are not Shintoist, but we can choose to give a Western "Christian" wedding or the traditional "Shintoist" ceremony.

Yes, Catholic missionary schools do exist in Japan - but they are also known the be expensive private schools for the rich as well. Lillian is also no exception. Granted, girls who go here do get a rather strict upbringing - as expected. Yes, some of them are devout Catholics like Shiori and Shimako (which you will learn later that she has a dillemma of being "accepted" into such a Christian school for a certain reason).

But then, you do not need to be a Catholic to enter such schools - you can come into Lillian if you have good enough grades such as Nijou Noriko and Mizuno Youko (granted you pass the entrance exam and the interview).

Then again, parents may just send their kids to Lillian because that's where they went when they were children themselves - just like Yumi and Sachiko. They go there since they were children so they are brought up in a world of Catholicism. But that does not necessarily mean their households are Christian - both Yuuki and Suguru go to Hanadera - a Buddhist school on the same hill.

Conclusion: You are thinking too hard.
Old 2004-07-27, 01:17   Link #13
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
oh I see, I was just curious about the subject. Its kind of a paradox actually, anime (and japanese art in general) has a lot of elements from Buddhism and Shintoism, as other religions, but japaneses themselves are not a very religious group of people.

Now that I think about it, most people I know came from schools either run by priests or nuns (masculine and feminine shool respectivly, there is no such thing as a mixed school run by the church here afaik), catholic education here is the most important, and it has the best schools, not only because they are very elitist (some of them certainly are) but because the level of education is the highest... is very sad that public education here is so poor and bad.

And now I am completly off topic ^_^ well, sorry.
Old 2004-07-29, 08:33   Link #14
Iskandar Taib

Incidentally, I remember reading somewhere that Hanadera (the school Yumi's brother and Sachiko's fiancee go to) is supposed to be a BUDDHIST academy. Supposedly mentioned somewhere in the manga. Boy, that was surprising..

That part after the credits (the "preview" for the next episode, where the three girls were singing) had me laughing my head off. I wonder if they let the voice acresses loose to ad-lib that part of the show..
Old 2004-07-29, 22:11   Link #15
Zicky-Chan
Little Grasshopper

Send a message via MSN to Zicky-Chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
I found it a tad strange that Yumi knew what Sachiko said to her while she was obviously sleeping in the infirmary...

Sachiko is quite perceptive to see that Sei could cheer up Yumi while ironically, she herself as her onee-sama, probably can't herself. I wonder how she feels about that...

I was wondering.....
Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-07, 20:58   Link #16
Sharkbark
Annoying Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Sharkbark
I have heard that in Japan it is perfectly acceptable to practice more than one religion, and in fact people think you are strange or closed minded if you only follow one. I have no idea how accurate this is though as I've never been to Japan =P . Any of our native Japanese have any say on this?

Anyway yes, this was an adorable episode. Shimako doing the fan dance to "Maria-sama no Kokoro" was great! Episode 4 looks like it will be even better ^_^ .

And I want to ask... if we are specifically talking about something that happens in this episode, do we have to use a spoiler tag? It seems like if you're coming to the episode 3 thread you've either seen it already or don't care about spoilers, so I won't bother... but I noticed that Zicky-chan put a spoiler warning on his post, so I want to check the official rules on that :\
Closed Thread