AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-12-10, 01:06   Link #61
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Middle of insanity
Ok, I've waited long enough that I think it's safe to ask this, but has anyone heard when the DVD is scheduled to be released for this? I want to put it on my watch/wish list and get it, but if it's not due out for quite a while, then no point occupying a spot on my lists that could be used for something else. ^_^
__________________
Visit my new writing website at:
www.realmsofimagination.net
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 06:26   Link #62
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Ok, I've waited long enough that I think it's safe to ask this, but has anyone heard when the DVD is scheduled to be released for this? I want to put it on my watch/wish list and get it, but if it's not due out for quite a while, then no point occupying a spot on my lists that could be used for something else. ^_^

No, there's no official release date yet. I'm not expecting it until at least May or June 2005, partly due to the fact that it'll run for months in the Japanese theatres like Sen did. The R2 *should* have English subtitles (unlike the R2 release of Steamboy ), Ghibli's releases usually do as they know their English speaking fans are numerous...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 14:43   Link #63
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Middle of insanity
Oh good. Then I'll add it to my watch list about April then. As long as I had a window to start watching for it, that's all I needed. I kinda figured that the DVD wouldn't show up till then, but I wanted to be sure first.
__________________
Visit my new writing website at:
www.realmsofimagination.net
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 14:54   Link #64
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Oh good. Then I'll add it to my watch list about April then. As long as I had a window to start watching for it, that's all I needed. I kinda figured that the DVD wouldn't show up till then, but I wanted to be sure first.
The best way to keep informed is to join Nausicaa.net's excellent Miyazaki Mailing List , they're nearly always the first to publish release dates as well as any tidbits of Miyazaki or Ghibli related news...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 23:41   Link #65
Aquillion
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan1
'ends up accepting a job'? She barges her way into his house and dives into cleaning very forcibly (and pretty much against their will/wishes!)! -Or atleast, that's how it is in the books, it's possibly something they've changed.
Oops. It's been years since I read the book.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 13:35   Link #66
nO:1 ff FAN
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: England
Age: 27
Howl's Moving Castle dvd in January

Hi does anyone know if the Howl's Moving Castle dvd release in Japan in January will contain english subtitles? I have never bought anime dvds from japan so I dunno if they usually contain english subtitles or not or in the case of Studio Ghibli.
please let me know
thanks
nO:1 ff FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 06:12   Link #67
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by nO:1 ff FAN
Hi does anyone know if the Howl's Moving Castle dvd release in Japan in January will contain english subtitles? I have never bought anime dvds from japan so I dunno if they usually contain english subtitles or not or in the case of Studio Ghibli.
please let me know
thanks
I think it is *highly* likely the R2 DVD release of Howl's will have English subtitles, for three very good reasons -

1) All R2 releases from Ghibli have English Subtitles

2) English subtitles already exist for Howl's Moving Castle, they were used for the Venice Film Festival and press screenings

3) Ghibli knows it has a huge overseas following (especially in Europe, France in particular) .

BTW the release won't be in January, that's far too early for a Ghibli film that's still number one at box office (and still breaking all existing records in the process). Howl's will run for months, because Miyazaki movies are rare gems and people just can't get enough of them. As I said before May or June at the earliest
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 06:24   Link #68
s'my
watashi wa chiisaikeredo
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
BTW the release won't be in January, that's far too early for a Ghibli film that's still number one at box office (and still breaking all existing records in the process). Howl's will run for months, because Miyazaki movies are rare gems and people just can't get enough of them. As I said before May or June at the earliest
It's going to be sheer agony waiting till then, hopefully I'll get to see it on the big screen soon. It's already bad enough seeing that hefty enticing artbook in my local Kinokuniya, I'm having trouble deciding whether to get it now and risk being spoiled for the movie, or wait till the "english version" (Viz will probably do this too right?) comes out ... eons later! Have the Spirited Away artbook (given by 2 absolutely lovely friends ^^) with all the words in Japanese, and it's killing me as I can't understand it!!
s'my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 06:49   Link #69
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by s'my
It's going to be sheer agony waiting till then, hopefully I'll get to see it on the big screen soon. It's already bad enough seeing that hefty enticing artbook in my local Kinokuniya, I'm having trouble deciding whether to get it now and risk being spoiled for the movie, or wait till the "english version" (Viz will probably do this too right?) comes out ... eons later! Have the Spirited Away artbook (given by 2 absolutely lovely friends ^^) with all the words in Japanese, and it's killing me as I can't understand it!!
Viz may do an English language version of the 'Art of' book, but probably not until the Disney dub has a release date. Which was their approach with Sen as I recall. I'll get my copy after I've seen the dvd, as to not spoil anything like you say, even though I've read Diana Wynne Jones's novel years ago.

I'd love to see it at the cinema, but even Sen's dubbed release (which I didn't watch anyway) had a very limited theaterical in the UK, a year after the R2 DVD came out. So the R2 is the way I'll get to see it anytime soon. It'll be worth the wait though.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 00:56   Link #70
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Middle of insanity
Ok, my memory sucks for this kinda thing, but I remember there was a thread a while back discussing about the dvd releases for several ghibli films. Someone said that none of them had reached the states and presented some kinda proof to that fact. I just walked into a suncoast and found "My Neighbor Totoro", "Spirited Away", "Laputa", "Kiki's delivery service", and several other ghibli flims I can't remember offhand. But if those are on the shelves then whoever said that they weren't for sale in the states yet was wrong. They're all R1's too. I checked. English dub at that!

Just wanted to bring that up.
__________________
Visit my new writing website at:
www.realmsofimagination.net
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 11:19   Link #71
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I see I'm the first to post here since the server problems, so I don't know how other people felt. But I myself was extremely underwhelmed by this movie. The animation, of course, was fabulous. But I found myself quickly quite bored. Maybe it's just that I've now seen so many great TV anime, with stories and characters that are much more interesting to me, so the Ghibli magic is wearing thin.
__________________
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 03:18   Link #72
SmartChick
Future Billionaire
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Corona, CA
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
Yea it was not the best Ghibli film but it did manage to get nominated for an oscar. Although I believe it won't win at least it got nominated over other big box office cgi animations like madagascar and chicken little.
SmartChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ghibli

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.