AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-20, 07:01   Link #1
eternal

Recommend me other shoujo ai ai anime

i kinda like this anime,for the friendship ...
I actually quite addictive to those kinda anime which is friendship-related,such as Get backers.

Do u think any anime that's similiar to maria sama ga miteru(shoujo ai) and Get backers(a little of shounen ai vibe) that comes in your mind?Preferably Shoujo ai.
Thanks...currently am having problems with friends
Old 2004-07-20, 11:42   Link #2
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal
I actually quite addictive to those kinda anime which is friendship-related,such as Get backers.

Do u think any anime that's similiar to maria sama ga miteru(shoujo ai) and Get backers(a little of shounen ai vibe) that comes in your mind?Preferably Shoujo ai.
Oniisama E (Brother, Dear Brother) and Revolutionary Girl Utena would both be pretty good bets.
Old 2004-07-20, 21:02   Link #3
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Cardcaptor sakura is friendship based anime and (perfect families) series
Old 2004-07-20, 21:15   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

If you want shoujo-ai told in a shounen way, check out Yami to Boushi to Hon to Tabibito or El Hazard (OVA).
Though, being shounen, those series are nothing like the Maria-sama ga miteru or the ones mentioned above.
Old 2004-07-20, 23:06   Link #5
aniforever

battle athletes serie is good but the ending is err strange.
Old 2004-07-21, 18:38   Link #6
Animal4890

I think "You're Under Arrest" might be somewhat shoujo-ai.
Old 2004-07-22, 06:31   Link #7
eternal

i want something like maria sama ga miteru

well i think maria sama ga miteru is the only shoujo ai
Old 2004-07-22, 10:31   Link #8
Animal4890

There really isn't anything like Maria-sama ga Miteru.... except perhaps its sequel.

A couple other slightly shoujo-ai anime are "Tenshi na Konamaiki" and "Battle Athletes".

There's also this listing of shoujo-ai anime and manga at yuricon.org:
http://www.yuricon.org/list/index.html
Although, many of those on the list are a bit of a stretch.

**edit**
out of curiousity on what new anime were coming out I was browsing AniDB.net and found this anime that might be of interest:
t.A.T.u. Paragate
http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb...anime&aid=2184
http://www.tatu-paragate.jp/index.html
Old 2004-07-22, 17:57   Link #9
Sharkbark
Annoying Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Sharkbark
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal

Hrm... well I try to watch shoujo-ai whenever I can being the rabid lesbian fangirl that I am, so I've seen quite a lot. I think though that Maria-sama is best as far as being a sweet and gentle love story, without any fan service.

"Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito" has a good, passionate love story between two women, but the ending is very disappointing and it's dripping with some at times rather disgustingly over done fan service. I like it though, and reccommend it if you don't mind flying boobs in the middle of your sweet love story . It's available for download here at Anime Suki.

"Kiddy Grade" has a lot of subtext, but there's no concrete shoujo ai. It's definitely a good friendship show though between two girls. A normal amount of fan service in this one. I'd reccommend it for you. This is licensed by Funimation and at least the first DVD is released, though I don't know how far they've gotten yet.

"Haibane Renmei," my personal favorite anime series, has only extremely mild subtext (caling it shoujo-ai is a stretch in my opinion), but as far as friendship between females goes you can't find a better anime than this. It's very beautiful and probably my first recommendation to you. All 4 DVDs are available from Geneon (though I believe it's released under their old name, Pioneer).

The second season of "Jubei-chan" has a lot of shoujo-ai subtext and is a very good friendship anime between females. You might want to watch the first season first though, otherwise the second season will be a little confusing. Unfortunately the first season does not have any subtext and isn't much of a friendship anime. The first season is released in the US, second season is licensed but not released (so you'll either have to illegally download fansubs from somewhere other than Anime Suki or wait several months for the DVDs to come out).

"Oniisama E" (AKA Brother Dear Brother) is very similar to Marimite as far as it exploring the relationships between females. It's a little... weird though. It's a lot more depressing and dark than Marimite, and the relationships aren't cute and cuddly a lot of the time. Also the original manga is from the 70s so the art is rather antiquated (this may bother some people). It's very melodramatic, so most people either watch it for laughs or are just weirded out by it. I love it, but it's definitely not for everyone. Check out an episode or two if you're not sure. The entire 40 episode season is available for download in one Bittorrent file here on Anime Suki, but unfortunately the video quality is extremely poor. The fansubs themselves are excellent though.

"Gatekeepers 21" has some mild shoujo-ai subtext and is a very sweet female friendship anime. It's a sequel to the original Gatekeepers series, but I don't really think it's necessary to watch the original to understand 21. 21 is very different from the original, which is not nearly as dark or serious, and has no shoujo-ai subtext that I can recall. Shoujo-ai aside, I'd recommend 21 just as a good anime in general. DVDs for Gatekeepers 21 and the original Gatekeepers are available in America.

"Noir" is a very popular series amongst shoujo-ai fans. Very heavy yuri subtext between the female leads. Most of this does not come out until the second half of the 26 episode series however, so be prepared to sit through the action-heavy gun fights which are the focal point of the series to get to the subtext. A recommendation as an excellent series, with some beautiful shoujo-ai if you don't mind using you imagination . All of the Noir DVDs have been released in the US.

"Azumanga Daioh" is a hilariously goofy show, but at heart it is about friendship between several females, and one is lesbian (though for laughs and not for any sweet love story). This one's very different from the others I've mentioned, it's definitely a comedy and doesn't pretend to take itself seriously, but the friendships between the girls are cute and might be what you're looking for. At least the first DVD has been released from ADV in the US, not sure how far they've gotten on this one either.

Definitely check out Lililicious' website (http://lililicious.cjb.net) and download some of the one-shot manga they've got translated. They have a really nice collection of cute shoujo-ai manga from magazines like "Yuri Shimai." My personal reccommendations would be "Even If We're Not Friends" and "Melancholy of A Selfish Princess."

Well, I could probably dig up some more series from memory, but I think I've given you a pretty good start . Hope things go better with your friends soon.

Does anyone know when the Tatu anime is supposed to come out? I'm not a fan of the band and considering their recent announcements I'm surprised they're even continuing work on the anime, but I will watch it for shoujo-ai's sake and hopefully it will actually be worth it .
Old 2004-07-23, 09:51   Link #10
Mendietta

how about fruits basket or kare kano (his and her circumstances)?

ok so both are licenced, but both are available on dvd and are totally worth checking out.

i watched a heck of alot of anime before i watched kare kano and had a near apoplexy that none of my friends had never told me about this great and wonderful series (yes, its THAT good).

Its not airy fairy, and feminine like marimite, but its damn good i would certainly class it as shoujo.

the other one i mentioned is fruits basket, and once again a diamond of a series. if you can get hold of those, you will certainly not regret it
Old 2004-07-23, 12:35   Link #11
eternal

whoa...what a long list
sharkbark u yuri?
nah,kidding
thx
i'll check it out
i would prefer something like noir
Old 2004-07-23, 22:25   Link #12
aniforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbark
Does anyone know when the Tatu anime is supposed to come out? I'm not a fan of the band and considering their recent announcements I'm surprised they're even continuing work on the anime, but I will watch it for shoujo-ai's sake and hopefully it will actually be worth it .
hehe i didn't know tatu have their own anime. i have never heard of their music or watch their music video but they are a russian music group right? in their music video they are shown as lesbians but i heard that they are really not. supposely it's done to gain popularity. hehe maybe they are maybe they are not hehe who knows. not sure when the movie is gonna come out but i would love to watch it when it does.
Old 2004-08-06, 12:20   Link #13
Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbark
The offical website suggests it is comming out November 2004:
http://www.tatu-paragate.jp/en/news/index.html
Old 2004-08-06, 14:00   Link #14
Bullsquat
Strange Love

You should try a different brand of shoujo ai anime. something along the lines of absurd comedy perhaps? If so, you should definitely check out the new series 2*2 Shinobuden.
Old 2004-08-07, 18:02   Link #15
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
KareKano (Kareshi Kanojo no Jijujo, His and Her Circumstances) is an ecellent series, probably my #1 shoujo series of all time... I first saw it about 2 years ago when I was first seriously getting into anime, and just recently bought the box set, and it was so very much worth the money. I just finished rewatching it, and it's amazingly good. The ending isn't perfect, but that's because it doesn't cover the entire manga, and the rest of the show more than make up for this. The DVDs are some of the most impressive ones I've ever seen.

It's not shoujo-ai, but it does have female friendships, and a healthy dose of comedy. Get this show, yoiu won't regret it.
Old 2004-10-15, 02:48   Link #16
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

It is quite sad but understandable that reviews in the general fansubs forum usually give low ratings for shoujo animes and high rating for action or gundam animes. Shoujo/Shonen ai fans are endangered species, I must admit.

So, I would like to use this thread to discuss "What anime will marimite fans would like to see in this fall season?"

Kannazuki no Miko
The anime borrows the idea from maria-sama ga miteru .. .for fan-service purpose.
It is a bowl of salad. Mechas, Shonen Ai, Shoujo Ai are mixed together to become a strange blend. It is too early to judge this anime.
My feeling: this is not a shoujo/shonen ai.

Utakata
This anime is quite slow, so slow that it receives low scores from many anime fans.Shoujo ai fans on the other hand, find it quite interesting. I find something that is overlooked by many reviewers, the background music is excellent. Try to close your eyes when watching the first episode if you don't believe me.
My feeling: a slice-of-life shoujo anime.

School Rumble
A shonen-ai based on a popular manga series. The jokes are quite refreshing, especially if it comes from Tenma (I love her, she reminds me of myself). However, like Azumanga Daioh, the jokes are quite language-specific (japanese of course). I bought the mangas up to volume 6. They are not bad at all, so I can expect more fun episodes are coming in this series.
My feeling: azumanga daioh fans will like this.

Kakyuusei 2
A shoujo/shonen ai, the story is a bit slow. The art is quite typical for a shoujo/shonen anime. It is too early to judge after 2 episodes.

My feeling: I prefer the original Kakyuusei.

W-Wish
Another "sister princess" type of anime. A 20-min screen time gives a clue that this is not a serious title (Remember Hani-hani and Wind~ A Breath of Heart?). The story is quite straight forward. Due to a relationship between brother and sister, I don't think it will be licensed.
My feeling: the story will progress unsteadily

Windy Tales
First thing that can be noticed from this anime is the art. It is not a typical japanese animation. The storyline advances quite smoothly. It is interesting how to imagine if there are people who can control winds.
My feeling: interesting.

What will you suggest if a marimite fan can only have time to watch one anime this fall?
I recommend "School Rumble". It is a shonen ai, but shoujo fans need some laughs too...
Old 2004-10-16, 11:48   Link #17
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart
It is quite sad but understandable that reviews in the general fansubs forum usually give low ratings for shoujo animes and high rating for action or gundam animes. Shoujo/Shonen ai fans are endangered species, I must admit.

So, I would like to use this thread to discuss "What anime will marimite fans would like to see in this fall season?"

Kannazuki no Miko
The anime borrows the idea from maria-sama ga miteru .. .for fan-service purpose.
It is a bowl of salad. Mechas, Shonen Ai, Shoujo Ai are mixed together to become a strange blend. It is too early to judge this anime.
My feeling: this is not a shoujo/shonen ai.

Utakata
This anime is quite slow, so slow that it receives low scores from many anime fans.Shoujo ai fans on the other hand, find it quite interesting. I find something that is overlooked by many reviewers, the background music is excellent. Try to close your eyes when watching the first episode if you don't believe me.
My feeling: a slice-of-life shoujo anime.

School Rumble
A shonen-ai based on a popular manga series. The jokes are quite refreshing, especially if it comes from Tenma (I love her, she reminds me of myself). However, like Azumanga Daioh, the jokes are quite language-specific (japanese of course). I bought the mangas up to volume 6. They are not bad at all, so I can expect more fun episodes are coming in this series.
My feeling: azumanga daioh fans will like this.

Kakyuusei 2
A shoujo/shonen ai, the story is a bit slow. The art is quite typical for a shoujo/shonen anime. It is too early to judge after 2 episodes.

My feeling: I prefer the original Kakyuusei.

W-Wish
Another "sister princess" type of anime. A 20-min screen time gives a clue that this is not a serious title (Remember Hani-hani and Wind~ A Breath of Heart?). The story is quite straight forward. Due to a relationship between brother and sister, I don't think it will be licensed.
My feeling: the story will progress unsteadily

Windy Tales
First thing that can be noticed from this anime is the art. It is not a typical japanese animation. The storyline advances quite smoothly. It is interesting how to imagine if there are people who can control winds.
My feeling: interesting.

What will you suggest if a marimite fan can only have time to watch one anime this fall?
I recommend "School Rumble". It is a shonen ai, but shoujo fans need some laughs too...
I don't know where you got the idea that School Rumble is shounen-ai. I've read part of the scanlated manga and didn't find anything that hints that there are any shounen-ai relationships. also the manga is serialized in Shounen Magazine which is targeted as you might already know at male audience so I don't think there will be any shounen-ai relationships in it.

look here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ga.php?id=4113

Kannazuki no Miko is also serialized in a magazine targeted at male audience(I forgot the name of the magazine) so it has shoujo-ai told in a shounen way but I don't think it will have any shounen-ai.

Kakyuusei 2 and W-Wish are both based on an ero-games by the same name which are targeted at male otakus so I don't think they have any shounen-ai in them.

If I got anything wrong please go easy on me because this is what I gathered from this forum and other forums
Old 2004-10-16, 23:03   Link #18
Sugu
Suguho, really

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
I don't know where you got the idea that School Rumble is shounen-ai.

Kakyuusei 2 and W-Wish are both based on an ero-games by the same name which are targeted at male otakus so I don't think they have any shounen-ai in them.

If I got anything wrong please go easy on me because this is what I gathered from this forum and other forums
Perhaps it was meant that their is love between girls and boys [here=shounen-ai?] as well as girls and girls? I was confused about this too. However, upon SleeplessHeart's recommendation I did watch School Rumble; it was fun and did not feel intensely shounen in nature as perhaps the ero-game based shows or fan service shows would.
Old 2004-10-17, 09:12   Link #19
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

School Rumble is based on a popular manga series with the same name.
I have bought and read them up to volume 6.
It may be classified as "Shonen", but in the story, the love relationships between characters are the ones who make it exciting.

I am still waiting for more series this season that have not been fansubbed yet, like futakoi.
Old 2004-10-17, 11:53   Link #20
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart
It may be classified as "Shonen", but in the story, the love relationships between characters are the ones who make it exciting.
I didn't understand what you meant by this sentence but if you meant its shounen-ai because of the love relationships between the characters then it isn't.

shounen-ai means: boys love, meaning theres love between boys(yes that kind of love), I read part of the manga and haven't found any shounen-ai "activity".
This will be really shocking to the male audience if a magazine targeted at them has shounen-ai.

its classified as shounen because it is shounen.
and if you want to say it has love relationships beween the characters then you say its genre is: shounen,comedy,romance which is what it is.

ya I'm also waiting for Futakoi and Rozen Maiden.
Futakoi is also based on a dating sim(not sure if its ero-game or just regular dating sim)

ok back to this threads subject: Yami to Boushi to Hon to Tabibito is a really good shoujo-ai, I highly recommend it to any fan of shoujo-ai.
Closed Thread