AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-07-20, 13:11   Link #1
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
The thing called friends

I'm sorry to even do this type of topic here, but I just need a slight bit of input from a 3rd party.
My friends say I take everything "to seriously", which I know I don't. When they jokingly insult me, I in turn jokingly get "hurt". It's only an act and I'm very sarcastic about it usually, and have some witty retort.
But they're ALWAYS saying "Oh you to seriously." when I never do! I know they're joking, someone even said "We don't tell you thing because we know you'll be hurt by it.".

How would I let them know I don't take everything as seriously as they think? Because I think if I tell them now, they'll be like "You're taking it to seriously!". Gwah.
__________________
Boochi's AniBlog! http://www.geocities.com/boochianiblog/
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 13:40   Link #2
Ending
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Uh-huh... You're taking it WAY too seriously. If they make you the butt of some joke, start planning revenge in a similar fashion and it will end pretty quick -if you do it in a "proper" way.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 13:52   Link #3
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
What are you doing to pretend you're hurt by their comments? It's possible you're not beign sarcastic enough.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:08   Link #4
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
I don't mind their jokes or whatever they're doing, the only thing I mind is their opinion of me, which is turning into "He has no sense of humor." which I do! I go along with what they say sometimes too!

And I have tried to make a joke back, but that's taking it serious again because I have to defend myself. I go along with what they say, it's to serious. I make my own joke, it's to serious. I can't do anything without being "serious" to them, and it makes things really hard.

As for an insult, some of them say I'm stupid and I said a few times "Damn, I thought I went all this time without you knowing.". But it's not even in a serious tone, more of a sarcastic one. and STILL it's me taking things to seriously.
__________________
Boochi's AniBlog! http://www.geocities.com/boochianiblog/
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:13   Link #5
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkihaTohno
As for an insult, some of them say I'm stupid and I said a few times "Damn, I thought I went all this time without you knowing.". But it's not even in a serious tone, more of a sarcastic one. and STILL it's me taking things to seriously.
Pfft... that's too serious. You need to call whoever says that a "big poopiehead" next time. That'll shut him up for good.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:23   Link #6
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
I just don't get what's serious about it actually... it's just me going along with it, would they rather me say "NO I'M NOT! You guys are mean!"??

But okay, I'll call them poopieheads from now on. see if it works.
__________________
Boochi's AniBlog! http://www.geocities.com/boochianiblog/
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:27   Link #7
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
Well, if how you went along with it didn't work in the past, then the only way to fix this is to actually act stupid whenever they call you that. Say something like "I know you are, but what am I?!" or "Takes one to know one!" or look around and say "Who... me?"
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:33   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkihaTohno
I just don't get what's serious about it actually... it's just me going along with it, would they rather me say "NO I'M NOT! You guys are mean!"??

But okay, I'll call them poopieheads from now on. see if it works.
LOL! I love that!

There's no way to call someone serious if they use words like 'poopiehead!'
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:40   Link #9
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
You should be glad that people take what you say serious. It could be the other way around, namely that they will take everything you say as sarcasm/joke. Take it from someone who knows

Me: Wow, you look good today!
Friend: O_o Just shut up! Stop making fun of me.
Me: No, really. It's true.
Friend: Yeah, right
Me:

Oh well, I deserve that treatment anyway since I put a lot of effort coming there (including spamming the Maths mailing list to give people useless tips and to raise the paranoia the day before the exams) ^_^

It's hard to change the opinion of people who already expect you to say something serious/sarcastic in a given situation based on their previous experience of you (i.e. people who don't know would more likely grasp the sarcasm than your old friends. Or so. ).

BTW: Maybe saying "you take everything too serious" is sarcasm in itself and by complaing about that, you are too serious. But then again, you could be going along and fooling us all along!

Conclusion: You, my friend, are the epitome of sarcasm!

Spoiler:
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-07-20 at 14:42. Reason: _Sin_ is the greatest! (But he cannot spell nor did he ever hear of the word grammar...)
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:46   Link #10
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
sarcastic insults from my friends is one of the best parts of my friendship, keeps life a little funny, not quite so monotone ... It is possible you get butthurt for no reason(seeing as how you didn't catch the sarcasm in boneyjellyfish's post) ...


Why don't you try to get them back using your own wit ... and no I'm talking calling them poopieheads ...
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. I have saved this image into my "WTF directory" just in case I ever wonder if it was only been a bad dream, and have removed it from the forum. Hopefully Lexander will never do this again!
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:47   Link #11
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Me: Wow, you look good today!
Friend: O_o Just shut up! Stop making fun of me.
Me: No, really. It's true.
Friend: Yeah, right
Me:
Lol! I bet that is what boneyjellyfish's life is like every day! Lol!
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:51   Link #12
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
(seeing as how you didn't catch the sarcasm in boneyjellyfish's post) ...
Hah, but maybe you didn't see ther counter-sarcasm in his post? It's all so ing, isn't it?

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Well, if how you went along with it didn't work in the past, then the only way to fix this is to actually act stupid whenever they call you that. Say something like "I know you are, but what am I?!" or "Takes one to know one!" or look around and say "Who... me?"
Does this remind anyone else to the (in)famous insulting competitions of the great Monkey Island™ series?
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:52   Link #13
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
You're right. It is hard to change people's opinion's, and the ones I'm having trouble with are the people who've known me for the past 18 years of my life.
The new people I've been meeting, like me for not being serious. I act the same way with both groups. One thinks I'm always serious while the other knows how to have a good time.

...yes... I am being sarcastic. That was my intention.... bahahaha!
__________________
Boochi's AniBlog! http://www.geocities.com/boochianiblog/
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:54   Link #14
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
sarcastic insults from my friends is one of the best parts of my friendship, keeps life a little funny, not quite so monotone ... It is possible you get butthurt for no reason(seeing as how you didn't catch the sarcasm in boneyjellyfish's post) ...


Why don't you try to get them back using your own wit ... and no I'm talking calling them poopieheads ...
I don't blame people for taking things serious over the internet since all this is, is text. Your voice, presentation and tone are everything else, which the internet doesn't have.

*sorry for the double post! I was flying through ever so quickly.
__________________
Boochi's AniBlog! http://www.geocities.com/boochianiblog/
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:56   Link #15
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 33
When someone makes a sarcastic insult, the best way to answer is(and to show them you take it easy):

say with a serious voice that you agree, and add something that is even worse than the insult. So when you make yourself even worse then your friends did(in a funny way) you show them that you took it easy. Just a thought
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:59   Link #16
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Does this remind anyone else to the (in)famous insulting competitions of the great Monkey Island™ series?
Oh yeah?! Well you fight like a cow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Lol! I bet that is what boneyjellyfish's life is like every day! Lol!
You guys are so mean...
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 15:07   Link #17
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Oh yeah?! Well you fight like a cow!
Since you already countered, it's no use to list the respective insult, is it?(For the curious: "You fight like a dairy farmer")

Well then: You're as repulsive as a monkey in a negligee!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd
Take this....... I will milk every drop of blood from your body! ^^
You can't counter something that's already a counter in itself. That's unfair
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-07-20 at 15:20. Reason: Trolling around. Feed me!
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 15:15   Link #18
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkihaTohno
I don't blame people for taking things serious over the internet since all this is, is text. Your voice, presentation and tone are everything else, which the internet doesn't have.

*sorry for the double post! I was flying through ever so quickly.
I'm not agreeing with you here, the tone is quite hard to catch. But text or no text whenever someone suggests you call someone a poopiehead and you actually consider it ... yeh ... there's your problem right there.
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. I have saved this image into my "WTF directory" just in case I ever wonder if it was only been a bad dream, and have removed it from the forum. Hopefully Lexander will never do this again!
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 15:17   Link #19
SimplyEd
Claytard
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: U.M.N.
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Oh yeah?! Well you fight like a cow!


Take this....... I will milk every drop of blood from your body! ^^
__________________
If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be unconquerable
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 15:19   Link #20
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Lol! I bet that is what boneyjellyfish's life is like every day! Lol!
You guys are so mean...
You're taking it too seriously!
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.