AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-07-22, 15:30   Link #1
Xale
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: A Place Where the Corn Doesn't Grow
Age: 24
explain please?!?

Ok I think I have this right but please correct me if I am wrong. Ok When I connect I am a peer and other peers and seeders are giving me parts of the files right? Ok and since I am using bit torrnado I can see the total kb/s.... Ok lets say the total kb/s is 600, and there are 20 peers, does that mean everyone should be getting around 30 kb/s? I am confused by this because on some torrents it seems that way and on others I should be getting 20 kb/s and I am getting like 2 kb/s. Can someone please tell me what is what and so on, and by the way wat are leachers?
__________________
|\-=wateva=-/|
Xale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 15:38   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xale
Ok I think I have this right but please correct me if I am wrong. Ok When I connect I am a peer and other peers and seeders are giving me parts of the files right? Ok and since I am using bit torrnado I can see the total kb/s.... Ok lets say the total kb/s is 600, and there are 20 peers, does that mean everyone should be getting around 30 kb/s? I am confused by this because on some torrents it seems that way and on others I should be getting 20 kb/s and I am getting like 2 kb/s.
The total speed is mostly independent of your speed (exception: you can't get a higher download speed as the total swarm speed for obvious reasons). A total speed of 10000000000000KB/s does not mean anything about your download speed since you could have anything between 0-10000000000000KB/s. It's merely an indicator on how popular the torrent file is


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xale
Can someone please tell me what is what and so on, and by the way wat are leachers?
Sure. The meaning of the term leachers depends: If it is said in connection with seeds/leachers it means merely peers. If it is meant in a negative way, i.e. client X is a leacher client or person X is a stupid leacher it means that the client/person does not upload until he gets a share ration of 1 or greater thus abusing the BT system without contributing to it.
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 08:50   Link #3
Xale
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: A Place Where the Corn Doesn't Grow
Age: 24
Ok, I get that part now, but how can I raise my DL speed, I don't have any firewalls up.... and I use bit tornado... what can I do to raise my speed? help plz... I know this is probably stated elsewhere, but I don't feel like searching through dozens of pages just to find it.
__________________
|\-=wateva=-/|
Xale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 09:31   Link #4
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xale
Ok, I get that part now, but how can I raise my DL speed, I don't have any firewalls up.... and I use bit tornado... what can I do to raise my speed? help plz... I know this is probably stated elsewhere, but I don't feel like searching through dozens of pages just to find it.
First off, what is your maximum upload and download speed? If you don't know it, go to www.dslreports.com and take a speed test according to your location. Post the results here.
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 20:01   Link #5
Xale
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: A Place Where the Corn Doesn't Grow
Age: 24
Download Speed: 1496 kb/s
Upload Speed: 367 kb/s

There u go, I used www.pcpitstop.com
__________________
|\-=wateva=-/|
Xale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 01:05   Link #6
Kero Gunsou
ロリが大好きな男
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: VA, USA
Question

Are you restricting your upload? BT works on tit-4-tat method, meaning the faster you upload the more nodes you connect to download the next piece (think of it as fserving in irc and you get priority in queue).
__________________
Who read these things anyway? *gunshot*

Kero Gunsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 01:53   Link #7
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Age: 27
Also an issue with uploading. Upload to fast you kill your download or freeze the connection. Try to find Nirvanna between the Extremes
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 08:36   Link #8
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xale
Download Speed: 1496 kb/s
Upload Speed: 367 kb/s

There u go, I used www.pcpitstop.com
Cap your upload at 41-42KB/s. Your maximum download speed with BT should be about ~180KB/s.

Am I right if I assume that the bulb in BitTornado is green? If I am, then everything is configured properly and the swarm is the only deciding speed factor. (Just for kicks, download a recent Naruto episode and see for yourself how fast it can go)
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 12:52   Link #9
Xale
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: A Place Where the Corn Doesn't Grow
Age: 24
Ok I capped my speed at 40 and I am Downloading Madlax 1-13 from 19 peers and 8 seeds and getting about 8 kb/s and the bulb is yellow... right now, so what is up, does there just need to be more people on?
__________________
|\-=wateva=-/|
Xale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 12:56   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xale
Ok I capped my speed at 40 and I am Downloading Madlax 1-13 from 19 peers and 8 seeds and getting about 8 kb/s and the bulb is yellow... right now, so what is up, does there just need to be more people on?
Just wait a little longer* (you should have picked a popular torrent like Naruto anyway, but...) and tell me if the bulb stays yellow.

*about 10 mins

Also, if it stays yellow, answer these question:

1. Does the bulb stay yellow for all torrents or only this one?
2. Are you behind a router?
3. Are you behind a firewall?
4. How is the weather?
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 19:53   Link #11
Xale
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: A Place Where the Corn Doesn't Grow
Age: 24
It was yellow the whole time, and it finished DLing but took like 15 hours from about 65%

Ok, The bulb always is yellow, so yea.
I am behind a router
Not behind a firewall, and weather is fine when i am DLing


And I tried Naruto but there was 7 peers, and 2 seeds on it after 5 min, and it was goin at like 5 kb/s, so I don't know wat was up with that.
__________________
|\-=wateva=-/|
Xale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 02:12   Link #12
Token-Blackguy
Pimptastic McNasty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: FloridaAir[Force]Academy-Melbourne. FL
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Token-Blackguy
, i seee

INdeed, and Xale CAN do these things, like fiddle about with his otput speed and such...because he uses bitornado, and all the bit torrent users cannot do this, right?
__________________
"If i could be anything in the world, i wish i could be a tear. Born from your eye, living on your cheek, and dying on your lips"

"And the sea will give each man new hope,just as sleep brings dreams of home"-Christopher Columbus

"God save the queen, because nobody else will!"-Blackadder

"Diplomacy comes from the barrel of a gun."- The great chairman, Mao Tzetong

Token-Blackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 02:18   Link #13
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xale
It was yellow the whole time, and it finished DLing but took like 15 hours from about 65%

Ok, The bulb always is yellow, so yea.
I am behind a router
Not behind a firewall, and weather is fine when i am DLing
Glad the weather is okay, I guess we can rule that out as a problem. What you need to do is to get out your router's manual and open up ports 6881-6889.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 06:41   Link #14
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Glad the weather is okay, I guess we can rule that out as a problem.
How can you say something unresponsible as that? We do not even know the humidity of the air, and you jump to conclusions like that?

Xale, read Doppelganger's router configuration guide here.
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 20:09   Link #15
Xale
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: A Place Where the Corn Doesn't Grow
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token-Blackguy
INdeed, and Xale CAN do these things, like fiddle about with his otput speed and such...because he uses bitornado, and all the bit torrent users cannot do this, right?
I have no clue what u just said token-blackguy, anyway... Did u know Ricky retired, That is so Gay ... Ok back to topic

It doesn't matter if the router isn't in the same room as me, right, I don't think so, but just checkin...

edit: Ok I tried to get azureus, but it was being all gay so I am back to bit tornado, and I like it better. It never said on his guide what ports to put on for the Bit tornado, WHich ones should I put on...? I am gettin confuzed by all this, but I think I have it right. And to enable those ports don't I just go to Network connections, Properties, and then advanced, then put on the firewall then make exceptions for those ports? Right?
__________________
|\-=wateva=-/|

Last edited by Xale; 2004-07-27 at 20:46.
Xale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-28, 02:03   Link #16
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
As I said a couple of posts back: Open up ports 6881-6889.

Your firewall and your router are two different incidents. One is hardware and the other is software. They both have to have those ports open. Opening the ports on the firewall will have not open them for the router.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-28, 09:03   Link #17
Xale
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: A Place Where the Corn Doesn't Grow
Age: 24
OK, then I don't know How to get to my router page or whatnot, I can't figure it out, and don't know where my router manual is, so yea, can someone please help me with that.
__________________
|\-=wateva=-/|
Xale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-28, 09:53   Link #18
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xale
OK, then I don't know How to get to my router page or whatnot, I can't figure it out, and don't know where my router manual is, so yea, can someone please help me with that.
Just a question: Did you read Doppelganger's guide yet or was it too complicated for you? Also, if you need to type in a password and don't know it, try "admin" (it's the default from what I've gathered)
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 10:09   Link #19
Xale
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: A Place Where the Corn Doesn't Grow
Age: 24
OK, I read it yes, but It doesn't tell you where to go to change those settings, and I don't know where to go, so help plz, Tell me where to go to get to that page, and if it did say, plz just put it here cuz, I can't find it. Thanks
__________________
|\-=wateva=-/|
Xale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 11:01   Link #20
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xale
OK, I read it yes, but It doesn't tell you where to go to change those settings, and I don't know where to go, so help plz, Tell me where to go to get to that page, and if it did say, plz just put it here cuz, I can't find it. Thanks
Here is how to configure the router:

Go to www.whatismyip.com to find out the router's IP. Write that down.
After that we need to find out your real IP: Start Menu-->Run...-->type in cmd and some kinda DOS prompt will open. Then type in ipconfig and write down your IP.

After you've done that, open up another Internet Explorer window and type in the router's IP you wrote down beforehand in the address bar. That is the router configuration window (if you should be prompted to type in a password, try "admin". If that does not work, get someone who knows the password).

Now you got two options: The quick and easy (and not yet perfect) solution or the tedious but more effective solution.
You decide what you want to do:

Option 1:
Enabling UPnP
Look for something similar to "Enable UPnP Support" in the router configuration windows and enable it (Note that not all routers support UPnP but most do). After you've done this you need to tell Azureus to utilize the UPnP support (it's enabled by default but just to make sure): Go to Configuration:Plugins:UPnP and check Enable UPnP. Don't forget to save and that's it.
Advantages: Easy! You have to configure it only once and that's it.
Disadvantages: You need a router and a BT client that supports UPnP for this method to work. Currently Azureus and BitTornado are the only clients that I know of that support it (maybe BitComet too but I never used that client)

Option 2:
Forwarding the ports

I'll reuse the pictures of Doppelganger's guide here since I do not have a router to post screenshots from (your router configuration window should look similar):



Private IP: Type in your IP
Private Port/Local Port: Type in 6881
Protocol Type: TCP

For the alternative:

Private IP: Type in your IP
Private Port/Local Port: Type in 6881
Protocol Type: TCP

IP range start/end: Type in your IP
Port range: Type in 6881
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.