AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-22, 04:19   Link #1
yscorpie

cannot playback at all

I have problems opening any avi files. I'm using a different computer to my normal one and it had no codecs on it, so I installed ffdshow.

Without ffdshow, I can only hear sounds (the sound is smooth). With ffdshow, I get both audio and video, but both are spasmic and the video lags as well.

My players (WMP or MPC) crash when I install ffdshow-20040629 or ffdshow-20040718. The older versions are okay though. >_<

I even tried VideoLan, and the spasmic thing still occurs, and the video quality is very poor.

I've never had problem watching anime with my other computer, and am going crazy here. Please help!
Old 2004-07-22, 05:02   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Are the files you are trying to playback already 100% finished downloading?

What are the system specs of the "other" PC? Is it already too old to playback files?

Oh, and just incase: Did you uninstall all previous codecs, and then installed ffdshow only? If not, do that now and playback with Media Player Classic.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
Old 2004-07-22, 05:13   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yscorpie
My players (WMP or MPC) crash when I install ffdshow-20040629 or ffdshow-20040718. The older versions are okay though. >_<
What do you mean by "The older versions are okay"?

It sounds like you mean you can get it to work all OK if you are using an older version of ffdshow. If so, why not just leave it at that.

I must admit, I'm still using ffdshow-20030523.exe and it works fine for me (along with MPC 6.4.7.8). I know that some of the versions of ffdshow didn't seem to work as well as the 20030523 version (for me at least) so I've stuck with that one. Haven't had a need to change it yet.
Old 2004-07-22, 05:21   Link #4
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Or maybe he meant that the other versions do not crash the player but still lag?

There can be no abundance of information in those kind of threads, why don't people realized that instead of letting us guess about stuff?
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
Old 2004-07-22, 06:05   Link #5
yscorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Or maybe he meant that the other versions do not crash the player but still lag?

There can be no abundance of information in those kind of threads, why don't people realized that instead of letting us guess about stuff?
Sorry I meant with the versions I listed, my players crash. With the versions before that, I can play the videos but with major lagging and skipping.
Old 2004-07-22, 06:06   Link #6
yscorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
What do you mean by "The older versions are okay"?

It sounds like you mean you can get it to work all OK if you are using an older version of ffdshow. If so, why not just leave it at that.

I must admit, I'm still using ffdshow-20030523.exe and it works fine for me (along with MPC 6.4.7.8). I know that some of the versions of ffdshow didn't seem to work as well as the 20030523 version (for me at least) so I've stuck with that one. Haven't had a need to change it yet.
I meant the older versions don't crash my players but the videos still lag and skip. Sorry that I was unclear.
Old 2004-07-22, 06:11   Link #7
yscorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Are the files you are trying to playback already 100% finished downloading?

What are the system specs of the "other" PC? Is it already too old to playback files?

Oh, and just incase: Did you uninstall all previous codecs, and then installed ffdshow only? If not, do that now and playback with Media Player Classic.
I have uninstalled all codecs and now have ffdshow-20050520 only. The files have definitely finished downloading, since some of the ones I try to play are burnt on CDs and I had no problems with those files on my normal comp.

Not sure what the system specs are, but when I go to "systems" this is what it says:

VIA C3 Ezra
933MHz
240 MB Ram

Could it be the computer hardware's problem...? ;_;
Old 2004-07-22, 17:17   Link #8
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by yscorpie
I have uninstalled all codecs and now have ffdshow-20050520 only. The files have definitely finished downloading, since some of the ones I try to play are burnt on CDs and I had no problems with those files on my normal comp.

Not sure what the system specs are, but when I go to "systems" this is what it says:

VIA C3 Ezra
933MHz
240 MB Ram

Could it be the computer hardware's problem...? ;_;
The specifications you provided should be more than enough to play back the files, my old Celeron 466mhz was able to play back files without a problem, so I doubt it's hardware related.
Old 2004-07-23, 08:02   Link #9
yscorpie

I have solved the problem! It was something to do with needing to reinstall my video driver after I reinstalled XP last time O___O""" Now all my videos can play with no problem.

Thank you to everyone who helped!
Closed Thread