AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-07-22, 10:44   Link #1
joeduk

Concerning Watching Subs On TV...

sup everyone.. wanted to see if anyone could help me out with my dilema here.. I just went out and baught a new Phillips DVP642 DivX standalone player.. and when I play my burned anime on the tv.. the edges are seriously cut off.... I tried adjusting some of the options on the phillips player but no luck.. i also doubt its just the players fault cause i once attempted to burn divx -> avi into vcds and they also appeared to have the edges cut off... main problem with cut off edges is that you lose half the subtitles sometimes.. depends which anime u watching.. naruto gets cut off BADDLY.. other ones like one piece only get slightly cut...

my question is there anyway i can reencode or do something to my files to make them have a smaller resultion? or make the video size smaller or something? i was thinking a divx - divx encoding and then changing some settings mayb? any advice would help alot.. so tia to anyone that replies!!
joeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 10:49   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeduk
sup everyone.. wanted to see if anyone could help me out with my dilema here.. I just went out and baught a new Phillips DVP642 DivX standalone player.. and when I play my burned anime on the tv.. the edges are seriously cut off.... I tried adjusting some of the options on the phillips player but no luck.. i also doubt its just the players fault cause i once attempted to burn divx -> avi into vcds and they also appeared to have the edges cut off... main problem with cut off edges is that you lose half the subtitles sometimes.. depends which anime u watching.. naruto gets cut off BADDLY.. other ones like one piece only get slightly cut...

my question is there anyway i can reencode or do something to my files to make them have a smaller resultion? or make the video size smaller or something? i was thinking a divx - divx encoding and then changing some settings mayb? any advice would help alot.. so tia to anyone that replies!!

Lalalalalallalaala
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 11:42   Link #3
joeduk

omg sweet news!!! thanks so much sin! i tried using search but i couldn't search for the word tv or fit or other similar words due to their size.. hehe one question though.. will i lose any quality if I do a divx to divx conversion with these borders added on?
Old 2004-07-22, 16:15   Link #4
MarcB

Quote:

Not sure if I understand your problem with the subtitles.

I own a Philips 737 dedicated Divx/Xvid player on which I watch fansubs.

I do not have the problem of subtitles which are cut off (One Piece and Naruto plays without problems). Also I burn the avi files on a cd-r with Burnatonce.

So I think that the problem must be with your television set. Did you have tried all settings of your Television and/or DVD-Player ?. Do you have installed the latest firmware of your DVD player etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
The above link is a nice suggestion if you have a DVD player which cannot play Xvid/Divx files.

Because the Philips DVP642 and 737 are dedicated xvid/divx players (in AVI container format) the whole hassle of transcoding to MPEG2 (or KDVD) is a big waste of time and not necessarily.

Here some low quality photos of my TV-set for comparison:

Last edited by MarcB; 2004-07-22 at 16:51.
MarcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 16:23   Link #5
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
omg sweet news!!! thanks so much sin! i tried using search but i couldn't search for the word tv or fit or other similar words due to their size.. hehe one question though.. will i lose any quality if I do a divx to divx conversion with these borders added on?
It was a good try _Sin_, but his DVD player is MPEG-4 Compliant.

TPMGEnc is XXX > MPEG-(1 or 2) encoder; MPEG-4 > MPEG-4 is not possible.
Good thing we have VirtualDubMod then hu?

ABSTRACT:
In this episode, we will apply the resize filter. This will add a small border to the edge of the avi file bringing the subtitles into view. I will be using Totan's Monster Episode 03.

PREOP:
1. Download VirtualDubMod from Sourcefogre.
2. Unzip all the contents of the file to a directory.

OPERATION:
1. Open the file you wish to add the borders to in VirtualDubMod.
2. Ensure "Full Processing Mode" is selected under the "Video" menu.
3. Open the Filters list by pressing "Ctrl + F".
4. Click "Add".
5. Select "resize" from the list and press "OK".
6. You'll need to fill out the dialog box differently depending on the resolution of the video file. Most files are 640x480; in that case, just use the values in the picture below. Otherwise, subtract about 5% from the total height and width and enter them in the top boxes. Check "expand frame and letterbox image". Then enter the original file resolution in the bottom boxes.

(Sorry about the huge size 56k'ers)

As you can see, this will add a small border to the file once it is saved.
7. Click OK twice to return to the main screen.
8. Press "Ctr-P" to open the Compression Menu.
9. Configure the Dvix codec to your likeing. If you dont have a clue how to do that, you can check out my guide on Xvid (it's pretty similar). You can find it here!
8. To complete the process, choose "Save As" from the "File" menu.
9. Select a location and choose "Save".
10. Once it is done encoding, if you are running a second pass, change the compression options as appropriate and run the second pass. by choosing "Save As" from the file menu.

PS: Ive never actually done this, so Im not sure if one pass will result in sufficient quality. You'll have to try it and see.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 01:19   Link #6
panianna

Doesn't Philips have a zoom function? My one year old MPEG4 copmpliant MP101 has a perfect zoom, so overscan is never a problem. It takes only one step to correct the resolution. And I'd never recompress anything if I had a choice. If you don't know what you are doing, you are just making the quality worse. It is just a waste of time, IMHO.
panianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 05:45   Link #7
joeduk

when i press zoom all it does is blow everything up to double size(200% zoom), making my problem much worse then it was before.. if i press zoom a further time.. it just goes back to the original size, and then back to double size, etc.. MarcB, your shots look like your videos have a black border around the edges.. am i mistaken? if this is so , then did you also do KeinikuSuki's method of adding overscan borders? i have tried this on several different tvs.. but all the same..

i dont mind going through the work of adding borders to every single anime i have.. but my question is.. is it necessary? are some ppl able to watch divx on divx standalone players without the need to modify their files? if so.. is it possibly my settings? i looked through the manual and there frankly arent many settings to change... sigh.. let me know what u guys think!! thanks for the advice KeinikuSuki, i'm prolly gonna be trying that out on a few files today.

UPDATE

Hmm serious problem here.. after encoding the way KeinikuSuki described I am getting 20mb files with no video... is there something I am doing wrong? Its my first time encoding video.. -.-

Last edited by joeduk; 2004-07-23 at 08:42.
Old 2004-07-23, 08:44   Link #8
MarcB

Quote:
MarcB, your shots look like your videos have a black border around the edges.. am i mistaken? if this is so , then did you also do KeinikuSuki's method of adding overscan borders? i have tried this on several different tvs.. but all the same..
No; I do not have added black borders. I play the original fansub avi's. Most fansub's are at 640x480 resolution so it is not possible for the TV to stretch the image further due to the proportion's. (English is not my native language... maybe someone else can explain this better?.)

Quote:
i dont mind going through the work of adding borders to every single anime i have.. but my question is.. is it necessary?
No; it is not necessary.

How do you connect your DVD player to your TV ?. I use the Scart RGB output..

Quote:
are some ppl able to watch divx on divx standalone players without the need to modify their files?
I can watch Divx/Xvid without modifiying the files. Only if the fansubs are encoded with QPEL and/or GMC I have to transcode (but that is a different subject and has nothing to do with this topic).
MarcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 09:17   Link #9
joeduk

i connect my dvd player with regular yellow,red and white cables(rca cables)... when it displays the files totally cut off the sides of the video.. sigh.. mayb its just my player? i am NTSC television in new york. I just checked my anime files resolutions and one piece files are 512x384... is that normal? i dont know what to do any more.. i am still trying to reencode.. and while i dont mind encoding.. it bothers me if its possible to do this without encoding.. sigh

i'll take some pictures later on and show u guys..
Old 2004-07-23, 10:21   Link #10
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Hmm serious problem here.. after encoding the way KeinikuSuki described I am getting 20mb files with no video... is there something I am doing wrong? Its my first time encoding video.. -.-
This 20mb file is just information on how to encode the second pass. You'll need to run the second pass as described in step 10 above.

This process will only work if you have not encoded anything else since you tried to encode the first pass.
1. Open the original file in VirtualDubMod.
2. Re-apply the resize filter as described above.
3. Open the Compression menu by pressing Ctrl+P.
4. Select the Divx Codec from the list and click "Configure".
5. Change the "Variable Bitrate Mode" from "Multipass, 1st pass" to "Multipass, nth pass"

6. If it suits your fancy, you can change the encoding bitrate (see the picture for what the bar does). Just remember, you are limited by the quality of the source file.
7. Click "OK" twice.
8. Continue from Step 8 above.

Alternately, (the next time) you can set up Job Control (F4 or File > Job Control).
Configure the first pass as normal, and then in the Save As dialog box, choose "Don't run this job now...".

Next, configure the second pass as if the first had already been run, and check the same box in the Save as Dialog box.
Finally, open the Job Control Dialog box by pressing F4.
Press Start when you're ready to begin.

Last edited by KeinikuSuki; 2004-07-23 at 10:33.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 11:55   Link #11
joeduk

thx KeinikuSuki!! hehee your guides are really amazing.. guess i'm off to reencode my whole anime collection!! weeeee~~ only about 100GB more to go... o.O

btw - with these files that are ready for overscan , can they be easily converted into regular dvd player files?
Old 2004-07-25, 11:27   Link #12
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Keep in mind re-encoding WILL lower quality unless you know what you're doing.

I also advise you try a resize filter other than "Nearist Neighbor", as that's the worst filter you can use. If the option's there, try Bilinier or BiCubic.

Quote:
btw - with these files that are ready for overscan , can they be easily converted into regular dvd player files?
How geeky a reply do you want? I'd advise making the DVDs from the original files, as they will be of better quality, so thus they will compress slightly better. As I've said, it's pretty easy to add overscan boarders in something like TMPGEnc.

And if anyone cares, this site is quite cool on overscan: http://www.mastersofcinema.org/revie...kingbeyond.htm
Old 2004-10-24, 08:37   Link #13
moneylee

on the sec part.. i dont know what the damn $hit he is talking about..... need more info... PLZ talk like a noob...we are not pros... this $hit is making me go nuts
moneylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 21:39   Link #14
moneylee

KeinikuSuki.. ok i did everything u said.. but how come my avi audio doesnt go with the person who is talking??.. its out of line...
moneylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 20:47   Link #15
Mirai
Sata Andagi!

Can't you just use your TV Out on your video card.... same thing? Or am I missing..... something big?
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote