AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-07-22, 15:17   Link #1
Spar-Q

Send a message via ICQ to Spar-Q Send a message via MSN to Spar-Q
Burning video DVDs

I just bought this nice fancy new DVD burner, and I can't find a descent guide, nor free software to burn a Video DVD.. All I can find are instructions on how to rip a DVD then burn it again.. I want to take (multiple) avi files i have here, convert them to vob and ifo and whatever it is I need, then burn it, and test my work on my DVD player hooked to my TV.. anybody know how to do this?
Spar-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 17:03   Link #2
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Well have you tried Nero 6??. It has everything you might need
If you are a pro you can enhance your DVD movies with adobe products
and you can compress 13 episodes =1 DVD all region, 2 DVDs 26 episodes all region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar-Q
I just bought this nice fancy new DVD burner, and I can't find a descent guide, nor free software to burn a Video DVD.. All I can find are instructions on how to rip a DVD then burn it again.. I want to take (multiple) avi files i have here, convert them to vob and ifo and whatever it is I need, then burn it, and test my work on my DVD player hooked to my TV.. anybody know how to do this?
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 17:46   Link #3
Spar-Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
Well have you tried Nero 6??. It has everything you might need
If you are a pro you can enhance your DVD movies with adobe products
and you can compress 13 episodes =1 DVD all region, 2 DVDs 26 episodes all region
I have nero 6, but it wants vob files.. either it can't convert from avi, or I just don't know how...
Old 2004-07-22, 18:05   Link #4
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
I have nero 6, but it wants vob files.. either it can't convert from avi, or I just don't know how...
The files need to be converted to mpg first. Here is a guide with links to the programs used: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222898

Anyways, work yourself up from here: www.videohelp.com and decide which programs to use and which guides to follow.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 18:38   Link #5
Spar-Q

ok, so that doesn't work from the start... I can't combine episodes into one file because vdubmod keeps bitching about either the audio sampling rates being different, or video rates being different.. but in one case, the two video rates were exactly the same, yet it still bitched and refused to combine the files.
Old 2004-07-22, 19:44   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
ok, so that doesn't work from the start... I can't combine episodes into one file because vdubmod keeps bitching about either the audio sampling rates being different, or video rates being different.. but in one case, the two video rates were exactly the same, yet it still bitched and refused to combine the files.
If you don't mind using software that's not free, here is what I always do:

Convert the avi file with Tmpeg Xpress* to a DVD mpeg format (for me it's PAL, and for you it should be NTSC). This takes a while but after it's finished you can burn it with either Tmpeg DVDAuthor or Nero, but I'm not sure about the latter since I haven't burned a Video DVD with Nero yet.

Here is the homepage for Tmpeg products: http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

*I guess this can be done with the free TMPEG as well, so if you want to use free software, read up on it @ www.videohelp.com or wait until KeinikuSuki posts one of his marvellous guides
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?

Old 2004-07-22, 20:36   Link #7
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Well I use the latest Nero and it never bitches to me :P

Quote:
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 21:16   Link #8
Spar-Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
If you don't mind using software that's not free, here is what I always do:

Convert the avi file with Tmpeg Xpress* to a DVD mpeg format (for me it's PAL, and for you it should be NTSC). This takes a while but after it's finished you can burn it with either Tmpeg DVDAuthor or Nero, but I'm not sure about the latter since I haven't burned a Video DVD with Nero yet.

Here is the homepage for Tmpeg products: http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

*I guess this can be done with the free TMPEG as well, so if you want to use free software, read up on it @ www.videohelp.com or wait until KeinikuSuki posts one of his marvellous guides
So using this method, I can put multiple episodes onto one disc? All the guides I read make it sound like you can only put one video file on there...
Old 2004-07-22, 21:40   Link #9
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
or wait until KeinikuSuki posts one of his marvellous guides
Such kind words.

Anyway, I could tell you how to work around the VirtualDub Error, but that'd just lead back to that guide, which (at least to me) is super confusing.

ABSTRACT:
In this episode, we will explore how VBR (variable bit rate) MP3 encoding is the bane of our existance. Second we will be converting an MPEG-4 .avi file to DVD compliant MPEG-2 using TMPGEnc. I'll be using Soldat's Monster Episode 15.

PREOP:
1. Download and Unzip VirtualDubMod.
2. Download and Install TMPGEnc Trial (it lasts for 30 days).
3. Download and Install GSpot Codec Information Appliance.

OPERATION:

VBR Audio:

Many fan sub groups use VBR audio. It saves (a little) filespace, and it keeps people like us from screwing with their distributions. Some files are encoded using CBR (constant bit rate) audio. In this case, you can skip the exportation of the wav file in VirtualDubMod, or you can just do it every time.

1. Open the video file in VirtualDubMod.
2. If you see a warning message like this:

you have variable bit rate audio. Click YES. (Ironically, while writting this guide, I clicked no. This left me fumbling around for an hour wondering what the hell was wrong!)
3. Export the wav file.
a) Choose "Stream List" from the Streams menu.
b) Right click the audio stream and select "Full Processing Mode"
c) Click "Save Wave".
d) Select a desirable location for the wave file.

4. This will take a few seconds, once it is complete, exit VirtualDubMod.

TMPGEnc:
Let's take a few seconds to learn about Aspect Ratios:

In fan subs, you generally get two types. 640 x 480 or 640 x 360. There are others I'm sure, but that is beyond the scope of this guide. When we get down to encoding the MPEG-2, this ratio will be very important since DVD compiant MPEGs only come in 720x480 (and 352x480). No matter what your source comes in, it will be encoded to fit 720x480. Then an aspect ratio is applied. This aspect ratio tells your DVD player how to stretch the video to make it look right. In the case of Samurai 7, the file would be stretched 1.78 times left to right.

If you aren't up on your math skills, the GSpot Codec Information Appliance will tell you everything you've ever wanted to know about an .avi file. Let's take a look:

This handy program tells us the Resolution (640x480), the Aspect Ratio (4:3), the FPS (23.976), and the Audio Bitrate (124kb/s). These are all things you'll need for later.

Start up TMPGEnc!
1. Start the Project Wizard if it hasnt already started by pressing Ctrl+W.
2. Here's what it should look like. (I'll assume you live in Japan or the United States of America) If you live in Europe or ... other places that use PAL, you'll need to substitute PAL for all NTSC settings Im using here!

3. Under the DVD templates, choose the appropriate one for the aspect ratio of your video.
4. Next, choose "VBR MPEG-1 Layer II Audio (MP2)". This will choose lower quality audio (but you already have pretty poor quality audio on the fan sub so dont worry) and multi-pass encoding for better quality.
5. Click Next.
6. Here on the next page of the Wizard, We'll be configuring the source:

7. The original .avi file goes in the top blank.
8. The .wav file we just saved earlier goes in the second blank.
9. Finally, for almost all fansubs, choose "Video Movie". This locks the source to 29.97 fps which most DVD burning programs (Adobe EncoreDVD, Sonic MyDVD) like. If yours like 23.976 fps, choose Film Movie.
10. Hit Next.
11. The next page has more setting which are beyond the scope of this guide, let's move right alone, clicking Next.
12. Here in the next page, we will be configuring the quality of the MPEG-2 file.

Obviously, the smaller the file, the more episodes you can fit on one disk; but at the same time, you are sacrificing quality.
13. First off, change the Audio Bitrate. (Rember from before) The audio bitrate was 126 kb/s; so having the default 384 kb/s is just a waste. Match the audio rate of the original to the closest choice from the drop down menu.
14. Secondly, you can drag the blue bar from left to right. As you can see from the picture, dragging to the left makes a smaller file, and dragging to the right makes a higher quality file. You may choose any average bitrate between 4000 and 8000 kb/s.
15. Click Next.
16. The final page in the wizard will ask you for a location to save the encoded file.
17. When you're ready to begin, click the next button.

This process (depending on your system) will take anywhere from 1 hour and 15 minutes to 3 hours. To ensure you're getting the fastest encode time, be sure the Preview option is disabled.

And there you have it, once it's done encoding, you'll have a DVD compliant MPEG-2 file. I'm sure even Nero can't turn down that.

I'm sure you're thinking: "THIS TAKES WAY TOO LONG!" Well, it does take a long time, but you can set up batch encoding. Or if you dont mind a loss of quality, you can do a single pass encode. If you really want them, Ill be happy to post a guide.

This guide only required 144kb for picture, beat that! Sorry 56ker's!

Enjoy!
It's sad, I think I accidently listened to the 1 minute 23 second clip of
流星 by TiA at the end of Naruto 197 times while writting this guide. It was a mistake I swear!

Last edited by KeinikuSuki; 2004-07-22 at 23:39.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 11:06   Link #10
Spar-Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinikuSuki
Such kind words.

This guide only required 144kb for picture, beat that! Sorry 56ker's!

Enjoy!
It's sad, I think I accidently listened to the 1 minute 23 second clip of
流星 by TiA at the end of Naruto 197 times while writting this guide. It was a mistake I swear!
Wow.. just.. wow.. LOL.. you're awesome. Thanks.
Old 2004-07-23, 11:19   Link #11
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Quote:
Wow.. just.. wow.. LOL.. you're awesome. Thanks.
Always nice to here kind words after a long guide! Thanks!

You'd be surpised (well _Sin_ wouldn't); most people dont even post afterwards.

Glad I could help.
Old 2004-07-23, 11:26   Link #12
Spar-Q

And another question while I have your attention... I guess I can solve this easily, but I wanna find another solution first:

I'm using ffdshow-20040718 and vdubmod is complaining about wanting a VFW codec, even when I installed the VFW part of ffdshow. I guess I could switch to the official divx and xvid, but I would much prefer to use ffdshow.

thanks for any advice.
Old 2004-07-23, 12:50   Link #13
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
You'd be surpised (well _Sin_ wouldn't); most people dont even post afterwards.
What are you refering to? The Azureus guide or something else?

Spar-Q, I'd always prefer encoding withXviD than DivX or ffdshow, but it's your choice.

Old 2004-07-23, 14:07   Link #14
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
And another question while I have your attention... I guess I can solve this easily, but I wanna find another solution first:

I'm using ffdshow-20040718 and vdubmod is complaining about wanting a VFW codec, even when I installed the VFW part of ffdshow. I guess I could switch to the official divx and xvid, but I would much prefer to use ffdshow.

thanks for any advice.
Well, for the part in this guide that you use vdubmod for you really don't need to see the video (which is what vdub is complaining about, ffdshow's vfw module is strictly encoding only, not display).

I know of only one way to use ffdshow to display things in virtualdub and that is loading the file you want to open through Avisynth's DirectShowSource command. I'd still recommend installing xvid alongside ffdshow if you use vdub regularly though.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 14:15   Link #15
Spar-Q

Yamano667: I don't understand how you can get Nero 6 to accept avi files.. Hell, mine (I just got the newest version today) won't even take mpeg files.. it refuses EVERYTHING except *.bup, *.ifo, and *.vob.

Now for that matter, can anybody suggest another (free) dvd video burning software, or something to convert my .mpg files into vob files, with simple menus? I prefer something easy..
Old 2004-07-23, 14:34   Link #16
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Yamano667: I don't understand how you can get Nero 6 to accept avi files.. Hell, mine (I just got the newest version today) won't even take mpeg files.. it refuses EVERYTHING except *.bup, *.ifo, and *.vob.

Now for that matter, can anybody suggest another (free) dvd video burning software, or something to convert my .mpg files into vob files, with simple menus? I prefer something easy..
Did you give Tmpeg DVDAuthor already a try? If not, grab the trial here. It will convert the MPEG file you created with KS's guide to von files which Nero can burn, although I suggest your burn with TDA itself since you can create multiple tracks with one episode each (you decide) and create basic menus.

Old 2004-07-23, 17:05   Link #17
Spar-Q

How many episodes am I looking to get on a disc here? I originally thought four.. but I was told I could get upwards of 13, "if i'm good"... Hell, IIRC, the Slayers Try DVDs have 7-8 episodes on a disc without any visible quality loss.. but after encoding one fansub to mpeg-2, the quality looks horrible... pixilated is an understatement... and I set the file size to ~500mb, so I could fit about 8 on a disc.

I'm re-encoding it now using 2-pass, to see the difference, but it's taking about 5 hours to do just one episode.. I'm starting to seriously wonder if this is worth it.
Old 2004-07-23, 17:13   Link #18
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Did you try raising the filesize to 600MB and go for 7 episodes per disc? Try encoding with different filesize and keep the one with best quality/filesize ratio. Don't worry if it takes so long the first time since you'll only need to do it once until you have your optimal settings.

About the Slayers thingy: This DVD is most likely twice as big as your regular DVD (more than 9 GB, with two layers, thus called Dual Layer DVD). That's why they can fit more episodes with better quality on one DVD. There is no magic involved other than having a better RAW source than you and a bigger DVD

Old 2004-07-23, 17:34   Link #19
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Quote:
I'm re-encoding it now using 2-pass, to see the difference, but it's taking about 5 hours to do just one episode.. I'm starting to seriously wonder if this is worth it.
I personally use two pass with MP2 Audio at 128-160kb/s. I'll set the file size to about 850MB. This lets me have about 5 episodes on each disk without having to worry what I put in the menus. I use batch encode to encode an entire DVD while I sleep at night or while I'm at school or work.

It only takes a few minutes to set up a batch once you know what's going on. I think it is worth it.
Old 2004-07-23, 19:16   Link #20
Spar-Q

Quote:
I personally use two pass with MP2 Audio at 128-160kb/s. I'll set the file size to about 850MB. This lets me have about 5 episodes on each disk without having to worry what I put in the menus. I use batch encode to encode an entire DVD while I sleep at night or while I'm at school or work.

It only takes a few minutes to set up a batch once you know what's going on. I think it is worth it.
Setting up a batch now.. My preliminary tests now show that a CBR of 2600kbps will look quite descent, and will fit 8 on a CD.. I don't know what I did the first time, but this time it seems to work properly... I did small samples of only the first 500 frames to see the difference in settings... too bad my DVD-RAM disc won't work in my player though, so I have to gamble a DVD+R to test this out.

Must say, that TMPGenc DVD authoring program is awesome.. If my DVDs turn out fine, I'll definately be buying this one.