AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-12-17, 14:34   Link #61
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈ«Έ is the Best !!

Send a message via MSN to The Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Yeah I did notice that ANN lists Starchild as a producer in some series. However, they also say it's an offshoot of King Records, which is a music/label company. I'm guessing it's ambiguous language and that they do produce the music.
I Guess Your Right...
Old 2007-12-18, 10:12   Link #62
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I too was first fooled into thinking Baccano! was Brains-Base first work.
ANN's company listings, while wonderful, are also highly redundant. Brains-Base is the same as Brains Base.
Whoops! My bad.

Amazing how I didn't like most of the series listed under "Brains Base"

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 11:02   Link #63
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikichi View Post
Gonzo Digimation.

Best animation, Best originality, Best Innovation.

Runner up: Ghibli.
Best Post from 2004 on this forum.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-19, 00:21   Link #64
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I'm quite partial to Studio Ghibli myself. They've made some of my favorite anime movies of all time.
Old 2007-12-19, 05:51   Link #65
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I like animation by GONZO but they always give me wtf endings which frankly disappoint me.BONES is one of my favourite for producing all time favourites anime like FMA,Eureka Seven and Ouran.MAdhouse is also my top choice.They did a pretty good job with Death Note in my opinion.Production I.G is a good studio too.The best evidence is Blood +.But i must admit i am still getting used to the way the characters look
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 11:14   Link #66
wao
OK.

I don't profess to be that knowledgeable in this area but since some of you guys are a bit confused as to what studio/company does what, maybe I'll share what I know -

When watching Japanese credits, in general all you need to know is that:

制作
tends to refer to creative production, e.g. 音響制作 (sound effects production) or 制作進行 (production runner ala Kuromi). 制作協力 with a studio name next to it implies that this episode's production has been outsourced to that studio (see elaboration*)

製作 (note the first kanji) tends to refer to commercial production - financing, planning, higher-up sort of office things. Sometimes this is credited to people, not studios (I remember Speed Grapher). Often you will see this credited to some "production committee" (製作委員会) which is made up of many companies/producers/reps.

You may see the animation production studio represented under 製作 as well, but most companies that fall into this category and not the first one tend not to be "anime studios" afaik Though they may manage or fund creative elements (Starchild, Bandai Visual).

I have noticed on NHK shows that they are credited with 作 despite being a TV station - I guess being the country's national TV station they are more deeply involved in what goes on air. But they are certainly not an "anime studio". Maybe there's other exceptions like this too.

Spoiler for elaboration:

And having said all that I think I'm usually more likely to attribute good work in animation to certain people rather than studios - for example Toei's outstanding Mononoke and Bakeneko. Same studio that supposedly did the other parts of Ayakashi ~Classical Japanese Horror~, but IMO what actually made Bakeneko and Mononoke much more memorable and successful than the other two have absolutely nothing to do with Toei and more to do with the director and the people he gathered.
Not all of them are tied to studios - actually I think most good animators tend to be freelance...

There's so little that studios as a "whole" can have control of in TV series, although I think some do build up an image over time - however, it won't always show if the situation isn't right. For example I get the impression that XEBEC can do a solid job if it wants to: Fafner was pretty damn good and I heard Busou Renkin was done well too, but we all heard about XEBEC M2's messup of Negima.

Personally, I don't know... I guess I'd have to say Studio 4C for being on the borderline of the usual commercial studio and yet producing all sorts of relatively amazing stuff, playing around with things other studios only adapt years later.
And despite my dislike for Madhouse literally churning out products like no business and not having much of an "image" (to me) or having produced anime with some rather bleah animation, I cannot help but be impressed at how they end up being the ones behind relatively interesting projects. I certainly don't know what happened but I like to think they accepted Yuasa's and Iso's projects of Kemonozume and Dennou Coil respectively when no other studio would. Maybe it is more accurate to say "some particular exec" rather than the studio as a whole.

I also think Satelight is sort of interesting in that it's maybe a bit of a wild card - while some may say they are lazy in enforcing a consistent level of drawing across the board for certain TV series, I guess I personally like to think that they're more tolerant of different styles (to the point where I feel weirded out too, like switching from that one guy's huge-eyed erotic characters to normal pared-down Kishida designs within the span of 2 eps in Noein)
While this may be more of a directors' decision than the studio spirit, I think that's something most major studios won't dare to do (see the outcry after Eureka OP 3 which got hastily "repaired"). And it's not because they're out of money to correct scenes properly, I think. It feels different, like they know they're not obliged to make it as uniform as possible.
(Of course there are always exceptions to this anyway - I think in some shows they're just skimping/rushing all the same)

Now if only they'll get back to doing something actually worth watching that is not Aquarion. No, I am not going to watch Shugo Chara.

edit: P.S. If I got anything wrong please shoot me a few times.
I'm trying to consolidate whatever I know about it on this particular wiki page, but I keep wondering whether I've gotten anything wrong or whether I can't just write more concisely
Old 2007-12-28, 15:36   Link #67
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
My one favorite studio would be Madhouse studios for proving such amazing captivating animation quality to the anime such as Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits, Gunslinger Girl, Ichigo 100%, and Oku-sama wa Joshi Kousei

Another favorite is SHAFT for producing Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, Tsukuyomi~ MoonPhase and Mahoromatic - Automatic Maiden.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 17:29   Link #68
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
There aren't many studios doing it better than Kyoto Animation right now, IMO. Most of their shows in the last few years have been A grade material. They did a great job with what was already my favorite series in Full Metal Panic!. They are probably the best right now at adapting visual novels, as their work with Air, Kanon, and Clannad shows. That is an already impressive resume without mentioning Haruhi, which is easily their most popular show.

Personally, I'm a KyoAni and BONES fan, as they produced two of my favorite shows in Eureka Seven and RahXephon.

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 23:14   Link #69
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

The problem I have with Kyoani is that they do nothing but adaptations. If only they would cut it already and did something original for a change...

Old 2007-12-28, 23:24   Link #70
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
The problem I have with Kyoani is that they do nothing but adaptations. If only they would cut it already and did something original for a change...
Didn't they produce the MUNTO OVA quite some time back? I don't remember it being all that good, though...

And maybe they're just not in the position to produce an original show yet - perhaps it's easier to think that once they have a lot of money and experience doing these adaptations well, within a few years they may be able to produce a real solid original work, not something half-baked.

I do wish they could do something other than FMP (which I hate watching) and moe-type things though, like those episodes of Guu OVAs maybe...
Old 2007-12-29, 02:30   Link #71
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
I'm not really sure what you mean by original. All of the anime series I've watched are adaptations from manga, novel, or game, except movies. Making a whole series based on no sources is, I assume, very difficult and usually not favorable to the studio.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 09:25   Link #72
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Quote:
Most anime is adapted from another form of media, whether it be manga, visual novels, or video games. However, I do agree with you. It would be nice to see KyoAni do an original work that would make a name for them as storytellers as well.

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 11:00   Link #73
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I'm not really sure what you mean by original. All of the anime series I've watched are adaptations from manga, novel, or game, except movies. Making a whole series based on no sources is, I assume, very difficult and usually not favorable to the studio.
It's no trouble for studios like Sunrise and Bones, to name some recent original concepts from those 2 studios would be stuff like Code Geass, RahXephon, Eureka Seven + all the Gundams.

Personally I'll also like to see whether KyoAni can come up with an original concept worth watching.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 19:57   Link #74
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I echo what Westlo said. Indeed, original material is something not really common, but more often than not, the best series are the original ones. Up until now, I haven't seen a drop of true originality on Kyoani's part (though I'll admit they did a really original delivery with Haruhi, especially regarding the episode airing order), while other great studios like Production I.G., Sunrise and Bones have done it a lot of times. Heck, even Gainax is known for doing lots of original series.

So I'd really love to see a good Kyoani-original title, but until that happens, I won't consider them a great studio. Just a good one at adaptations.

Old 2007-12-29, 22:08   Link #75
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
You need to broaden your horizons then. Really no other way to put it.

And as for the notion posted by some that most anime being adapted from Manga and Games and what not, maybe in the past 5 years, but in the 80's and 90's the ratio of original series versus adaptations was much much closer to a 1:1. And then there are Studios like Sunrise, the majority of whose material is created straight from scratch, and often ends up very good. For some reason they take a lot of flack though and I can't understand this. It's like people are saying they don't want original material.

As for Kyoto Animation, honestly, I've always had a meh reaction to what they produce, and people probably know this. Initally I didn't care for them much at all, but now I've come to see why they might a certain appeal for others, and have come to respect that. For me though it's like this:

Sure their stuff looks nice, but any studio putting the proverbial pen to paper can achieve what they do with their artwork if they just have the will (looking at series like Gundam 00 and Macross Frontier showcases this). To do an original work though like Gurren Lagann or Code Geass and make it into a hit with absolutely no pre-installed fanbase to work with is something I admire in a studio though. I don't think I'll ever be as fascinated by Kyoani as others continue to be as I find them to be too one note with the moe girl formula, while other studios like Sunrise, Bones and Gainax are out their at least trying hard to innovate, or at least create, rather than just recreate. If they don't succeed in winning over fans with something, then they don't, but the fact that they try without the near guarantee of success that a strong license can give is what makes those three among my favourites. Of the studios that simply adapt though I think Kyoani is going the strongest right now. Still though, Sunrise is behind my all time favourite long standing anime franchise, so there's very little that could ever take that away from me. They remain my favourite for a variety of reasons beyond that though.

On a completely different tack, if I were explain it using an example of gaming companies (for the fun of it), Sunrise would be Nintendo with it's stable of original non-licensed titles and many smash successes as well as some outstanding failures, Bones would be like Capcom with it's strong showings with some licensed material as well as original titles, Gainax would be like SCEA/J with the blockbusters it frequently pulls out, and Kyoani would be like Atlus, relying on licensed games it knows would be hits with niche otaku type crowds and maintaining a close relationship with fans and licensors.

By the way, back when I said "There's no such thing" that post was part of a different thread that got merged, but now that the topic is about one's favourite studios, I'm much obliged to talk about this subject.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-12-29 at 22:37.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 22:46   Link #76
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
You need to broaden your horizons then. Really no other way to put it.

And as for the notion posted by some that most anime being adapted from Manga and Games and what not, maybe in the past 5 years, but in the 80's and 90's the ratio of original series versus adaptations was much much closer to a 1:1. And then there are Studios like Sunrise, the majority of whose material is created straight from scratch, and often ends up very good. For some reason they take a lot of flack though and I can't understand this. It's like people are saying they don't want original material.

As for Kyoto Animation, honestly, I've always had a meh reaction to what they produce, and people probably know this. Initally I didn't care for them much at all, but now I've come to see why they might a certain appeal for others, and have come to respect that. For me though it's like this:

Sure their stuff looks nice, but any studio putting the proverbial pen to paper can achieve what they do with their artwork if they just have the will (looking at series like Gundam 00 and Macross Frontier showcases this). To do an original work though like Gurren Lagann or Code Geass and make it into a hit with absolutely no pre-installed fanbase to work with is something I admire in a studio though. I don't think I'll ever be as fascinated by Kyoani as others continue to be as I find them to be too one note with the moe girl formula, while other studios like Sunrise, Bones and Gainax are out their at least trying hard to innovate, or at least create, rather than just recreate. If they don't succeed in winning over fans with something, then they don't, but the fact that they try without the near guarantee of success that a strong license can give is what makes those three among my favourites. Of the studios that simply adapt though I think Kyoani is going the strongest right now. Still though, Sunrise is behind my all time favourite long standing anime franchise, so there's very little that could ever take that away from me. They remain my favourite for a variety of reasons beyond that though.

On a completely different tack, if I were explain it using an example of gaming companies (for the fun of it), Sunrise would be Nintendo with it's stable of original non-licensed titles and many smash successes as well as some outstanding failures, Bones would be like Capcom with it's strong showings with some licensed material as well as original titles, Gainax would be like SCEA/J with the blockbusters it frequently pulls out, and Kyoani would be like Atlus, relying on licensed games it knows would be hits with niche otaku type crowds and maintaining a close relationship with fans and licensors.

By the way, back when I said "There's no such thing" that post was part of a different thread that got merged, but now that the topic is about one's favourite studios, I'm much obliged to talk about this subject.
I did watch some anime from Sunrise and Bones, but my argument is they're two companies out of a lot of studios. I don't just watch whatever anime, but I research and try to find anime that suits my tastes, so I actually know a lot of anime out there. It's also true that I started watching anime before 5 years ago, so that's why I've seen a lot of adaptations. I'm just basing what I said from experience, so I apologize if I "offend" those who watched anime before the times of mass adaptations.

Also, I found an interesting fact. After doing a bit of wikibrowse, I found that a lot of anime that are not adaptations (Gundam, Eureka Seven, Code Geass, RahXephon, Gurren-Lagann) are mecha anime. That's not one of my favorite genres so I haven't watched them yet, except for Eureka Seven. Are any examples of non-adaptations that doesn't have mecha?

Note: I have watched Cowboy Bebop and thanks for all the PMs about suggestions.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 23:22   Link #77
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Are any examples of non-adaptations that doesn't have mecha?
Yes - off the top of my head: Noir, Madlax, Avenger, Red Garden, Samurai Champloo, Last Exile, Mai HiME (IIRC, the manga appeared after the anime).

Quote:
And then there are Studios like Sunrise, the majority of whose material is created straight from scratch, and often ends up very good. For some reason they take a lot of flack though and I can't understand this. It's like people are saying they don't want original material.
No, people are just saying: "Creativity is good but we don't like this particular script, thank you very much".

As for the favourite studios, I have a love hate relationship with few:

Bee Train (nothing memorable since bursting on the scene with Noir, Madlax and Avenger)

Sunrise (some of the best series ever and some of the most annoying series ever)

Madhouse (too many series, inevitably some of them are not too good but even if they never make another good aniem they would deserve mention for Monster alone)

Gonzo - they like to experiment and I am not one to notice drops in animation quality, even dramatic ones, so this aspect does not bother me. They sometimes really, really lose the plot while writing their plots (pun intended), though.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 01:31   Link #78
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I did watch some anime from Sunrise and Bones, but my argument is they're two companies out of a lot of studios.
They're not just two companies out of a lot of studios. Sunrise is arguably the most popular and powerful studio around, being the creators of Gundam of all things, and BONES (which was founded by former Sunrise top-level guys) is an extremely versatile, though rather young, studio that did series which had lots of success, among which there was, for example, the overly popular Fullmetal Alchemist (though not a particularly favorite of mine). I don't know if they're the best studio, but they're certainly the most versatile and interesting one right now, with their varied array of series that play around with very different styles each.

Quote:
Are any examples of non-adaptations that doesn't have mecha?
I should point you to BONES once again--this very year, they did Darker Than Black. Not the best, but pretty damn good anyways, especially considering the crap we've been having this year. Mononoke is another very good original series that aired this year, (by Toei of all studios!). Ghost Hound, by Production I.G., is based on an original concept by Masamune Shirow (who has deep ties to P.I.G.); they also did the Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex series, which stemmed from Masamune's original GITS manga but are very particular in their approach and don't really count as full-fledged adaptations... and then there's Real Drive, which is a series that's going to be airing next April, also with an original concept by Masamune Shirow and animation by Production I.G.

There's many non-adapted series around--you just have to look for them.

Old 2007-12-30, 01:44   Link #79
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

For me, Ghibli, Mushi and Toei are perhaps the most influential. They have existed before Gainax and they were pivotal in the development of animated medium within Japan. They to me have been spectacular existences. Sunrise has already been mentioned for its work on Gundam.

Toei can be credited for the first of mahou shoujo genre, and it was responsible for Sailor Moon later on... and gave birth to a plethora of studios.
Mushi did Astro Boy, and Kimba.
Ghibli specializes in theatrical repertoire, and till this day, Laputa and Nausicaš can be cited as a major milestone in animation.

The late rising stars in production of course would be KyoAni, BONES, Mad House... I don't have to mention about Gainax or GONZO.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2007-12-30 at 10:10.
panzerfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 07:48   Link #80
Shiori-chan

Kyoani without a doubt, after the "succes" of AIR TV they got better and better, and they made some epic series
Sunrise for theire old work like gundam wing, mai hime...