AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-12-30, 10:14   Link #81
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Of the studios that simply adapt though I think Kyoani is going the strongest right now.
You only have to look at disasters like Prism Ark and the ZnT series to realize why KyoAni are the best at adapting stuff. But while adaptions are nice they won't really become a top tier studio in many people eyes until they make something original that blows people away (which Munto didn't do). I'm really hoping to see them announce an original concept anime from them after they do Haruhi and (hopefully) FMP.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 15:53   Link #82
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
You only have to look at disasters like Prism Ark and the ZnT series to realize why KyoAni are the best at adapting stuff. But while adaptions are nice they won't really become a top tier studio in many people eyes until they make something original that blows people away (which Munto didn't do). I'm really hoping to see them announce an original concept anime from them after they do Haruhi and (hopefully) FMP.
Hmmm yes Munto, or as I sometimes refer to it, Inuyasha in The Castle In Sky, based of the description and artwork on ANN. I haven't actually seen it, but am not particularly interested either. And somehow the main character still looks like Kyon to me in the Munto 2 design (An in joke I have with a friend is that the current Kyoani character designer can take any male lead character from any series for an adaptation and he'll still end up looking and/or acting like Kyon from Haruhi in one way or another), even with the red hair and elf ears.

And looking at Shiori's comment, Mai Hime's old now?! Seriously?! Heck I don't even consider Gundam Wing old. For me the cut off point for older is 1990, with the pre-1980's being the founding series and genres. Anything else I consider fresh. Then again I still remember the majority of the 90's so I guess it seems fresher in my mind. In short:

1970's: The Foundations of Anime (oldest)
1980's: The Classic Era (older)
1990's: The Expansion Era (newer) (Basically when anime started to become popular in the west)
2000's: The Modern Era (newest)
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 02:11   Link #83
hachihachi
i've been nell-ed!

production I.G. and sunrise. sunrise is cos of the quantity of anime that i watched coming out from it.

i've been very impressed by production I.G. since blood+, the recent ghost hound and persona-trinity soul continue to impress me.

i only gave kyo animations a mention cos of clannad. seriously everyone has to agree clannad's graphics are splendid.
hachihachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 04:27   Link #84
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Sunrise - Probably the studio that creates the most balanced shows overall in terms of story, characters, execution, pacing and production values. Their shows can combine action, romance and drama like no other and they can handle large casts of characters and give all of them sufficient development. All of that is combined with superb animation (at least in their mainstream projects) and great music selection. They are my favorite studio without a doubt. Some of my favorite shows created by them include Gundam SEED, Scryed, Code GEASS, Kekkaishi, Outlaw Star, Gintama and Planetes.

Bones - A great relatively new studio that creates shows with innovative stories that are very well thought of and a great atmosphere. They are a studio that accents on quality rather than on quantity, so that's why it's no surprise all of their shows have consistently great animation and coherent stories. Notable shows by them are: Wolf's Rain, Rahxephon, Scrapped Princess, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ouran High School Host Club and Darker than Black.

Madhouse - Another animation studio giant like Sunrise, they handle usually deep psychological shows which are heavy on drama and even blood and gore. Their animation usually has darker motives and hell, they do know how to create an overall gloomy atmosphere convincingly. Some of their best shows are: Monster, Death Note, Claymore, and the ongoing show Kaiji. Also they make great manga adaptations.

Studio DEEN - Their shows are full of colorful(both literally and metaphorically) characters and engaging plots. Favorite shows of mine made by them are: Higurashi, Fate/Stay Night, Getbackers, Rurouni Kenshin OVAs and Full Moon wo Sagashite.

These are my top choices because they have the greatest number of shows that I like. Notable mentions are deserved also by Gainax (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann), KyoAni (Haruhi), and Toei (One Piece).
Old 2008-03-11, 20:32   Link #85
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm changing my vote to Madhouse, even though I never casted one. Death Note, Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, Claymore, Kaiji, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Gunslinger Girl.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 10:25   Link #86
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Going by sheer amount of anime titles I liked, I'm going for J.C. Staff as my favourite studio of all time. They're probably the most consistent out of the animation studios when it comes to drama/romance, which is the genre I'm most into. Sure there's some misses here and there (most notably Shana II and Zero no Tsukaima II), but more often than not, I like their shows.

Oddly enough though, none of what I like from them would qualify as my top 5 anime of all time, but then again my top 5 are significant shows I have seen early on that had a huge impact me.

Spoiler for JC Staff shows I liked up to end of 2007:

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 10:49   Link #87
Sheba
*singing In the Navy*

Madhouse, for awesome shows that has awesome character drama like Monster and Gungrave. Their adaptation of Death Note is really good too, I was not that interested in it until I saw the anime, then decided to marathon the manga over one week-end. Then there are Beck, Texhnolyze, Black Lagoon, X-TV and the goodness by Yoshiaki Kawajiri, my favorite director, Oedo 808 Ciber City, Ninja Scroll, etc.

Close seconds would be Production I.G and Bones, followed by KyoAni.

I only like Sunrise when they does stuff like City Hunter, Yakitate Japan or Planetes.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 12:54   Link #88
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Madhouse, for awesome shows that has awesome character drama like Monster and Gungrave. Their adaptation of Death Note is really good too, I was not that interested in it until I saw the anime, then decided to marathon the manga over one week-end. Then there are Beck, Texhnolyze, Black Lagoon, X-TV and the goodness by Yoshiaki Kawajiri, my favorite director, Oedo 808 Ciber City, Ninja Scroll, etc.

Close seconds would be Production I.G and Bones, followed by KyoAni.

I only like Sunrise when they does stuff like City Hunter, Yakitate Japan or Planetes.
You'd probably like Gintama then.
Old 2008-03-12, 23:08   Link #89
Gotank
Evil Chewy Thing

I'd have to go with KyoAni for their great works in Clannad and Kanon. (didn't really like Haruhi that much for some reason).
Gotank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 20:11   Link #90
lubczyk

Your Favorite/Most Hated studios?

What your most favorite/Most Hated Studios?

Love:

1. Shaft - Although it drives me crazy. There is almost nothing of Shaft's that I haven't watched. The thing is, Shaft's stuff seems to be meaty in that it takes a long time to watch. You can't just breeze through episodes for some reason.

2. Sunrise. As much as I hate to admit it. Even thought I've had a love/hate relationship with Gundam over the years; one can't say that they're not entertaining to watch and better animated than most. Even Mai Hime and The Girl who Leapt Through Space was entertaining.

3. Type/Moon - I'm a sucker for this studio. I've really enjoyed the mythos. I've watch Lunar Princess, Fate/Stay Night and all of the Garden of Sinners movies. I just can't say no. Episodes just fly by.

4. Gainax - I'm been a whore for this studio for a while. It's like a drug. I just can't say no. Been watching it since EVA.

Hate:

1. BeeTrain - Aside from Kurenai, I can't really say I've enjoyed what this studio has produced. Arc the Lad, Noir and its clones - Maxlax, El Cazador de la Bruja and Memory of the Phantom, .hack//whatever, Spider Riders, Avenger, Mugen no Juunin, Murder Princess, Tsubasa Chronicle, Phantom. Ugh, it's just never very good, just bearable.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 21:39   Link #91
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Kurenai is from Brains-Base, the studio that made Baccano! and Natsume Yuujinchou. (They also made that show about the soda can girl; I've blocked it from my memory.)
Old 2009-08-22, 22:13   Link #92
Nosauz

Also Type-Moon is not a studio, and more of a developer/author than studio since they don't animate any of their work besides any in game content

People who animate Kara no Kyoukai are Ufotable, and I'm pretty sure Fs/n anime was animted by Geneon.

Kyoani on any key project, and pretty much everything else cept haruhi s2 because... really 8 episode for endless summer...
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 00:46   Link #93
Thingle
Banned

Production I.G and Madhouse are rank 1 and 2 while I hate Gonzo, Gainax and Bee Train.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 00:56   Link #94
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Studio Ghibli? Other than that...er...J.C. Staff usually has art that I enjoy. Can't say I've noticed consistent trends of enjoyment with any others.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 12:46   Link #95
imbehindyou
turn around...

Type-moon isn't an animation studio.
Tsukihime - J.C. Staff
F/SN - Studio Deen
Kara no Kyokai - ufotable

Anyway, I like BONES; tsundere for DEEN, and recently, interested in A-1 Pictures.

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
imbehindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 05:34   Link #96
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Well not much has changed in the last little while, although someone has come off of the hate list and ended up more on the "What have you done/are you doing/Get new sponsors already?!" list. See if anyone can guess who that is.

Anyway, faves are still BONES, Sunrise and Gainax. Those are my top 3 for consistently producing shows that I find engrossing and thought provoking on some level. Their production values are always top notch too which doesn't hurt.

I'm slowly warming up to Production I.G after a long time of being on the face, and lately (but only if they keep releasing shows) Satelight has been getting a fair share of my attention as has Madhouse which is a rising star.

On the dislike would probably have to go Toei and ARMS, the former for being so damn cheap on production values and just generally uncreative with their shows (formula anime abound), and the later for mostly making borderline or flat out hentai that somehow gets aired on Television. There's also Studio Hibari for their frequent pushing of medicore eroge adaptation titles.

The award for the studio to which I am most consistently indifferent and barely pay any attention to despite their frequent releases has to go to AIC. I can't tell anyone what they've made, but I know that my eyes just frequently slide over their shows everytime we get the preview tables.
Old 2009-08-24, 15:16   Link #97
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hmm, a quick look in my favorites has them pretty equally spread across many studios.

I think I'm a pretty big Kyoani fanboy still, since the majority of their shows have always been entertaining to me, with one notable recent exception. I like their silly stuff a lot, and series like Fumoffu, Haruhi, Kanon, and Clannad never fail to make me laugh. I don't really find them creative, but the execution is really nice in their unpretentious storytelling and sometimes pretty backgrounds/character designs.

While Sunrise's shows are pretty hit and miss for me, they never fail at making a sick soundtrack. Even if I don't like the show, I still would love the music.

Gainax has probably produced some of the most creative stuff ever, and they are known risk takers.
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-08-18 at 13:51. Reason: Well, talk about being a naive fool... XD
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 17:00   Link #98
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I don't really find them creative, but the execution is really nice in their unpretentious storytelling and sometimes pretty backgrounds/character designs.
Really? The way I see it they still have among the most pretentious and gimmicky storytelling mechanics, characterizations etc. of any company I know, though moreso when they are working with Kadokawa or alone then when they are working with Key. Things tend to balance out more with the latter though only to the extent that there is a balance to be found. Of course that was the company I was talking about that's off the dislike list, and their recent "faltering" seems to have more to do with the impossibility of matching the enormous and frankly unrealistic hype/expectations and mythology surrounding their practices. It's simply irreconcilable with the reality of what they choose to focus on and where their real strengths and weaknesses (yes) are. In my eyes they've always been consistent, for better or worse. I just wish they'd find their own compass without seemingly having to be bossed around by a sponsor or partner all the time.

Quote:
While Sunrise's shows are pretty hit and miss for me, they never fail at making a sick soundtrack. Even if I don't like the show, I still would love the music.
That I definitely agree with. Like I don't really care for Gundam Seed/Destiny, but I really like the music.
Old 2009-08-24, 17:23   Link #99
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Really? The way I see it they still have among the most pretentious and gimmicky storytelling mechanics, characterizations etc. of any company I know, though moreso when they are working with Kadokawa or alone then when they are working with Key. Things tend to balance out more with the latter though only to the extent that there is a balance to be found.
I don't think so. Then again, I appreciate Kyoani-Key stuff over Haruhi. When I mean unpretentious, I mean more of a light hearted style instead of devolving into really unbelievable melodrama. Or some wannabe philosophical crap. (I do hate it when it does happen) Though admittedly this was more of a strength of Key, it's not exactly an easy job to translate that across diffrent forms of media. But I feel their strength is getting the point (story) across.

I can see the gimmicky stuff in Haruhi, but I can't really find anywhere else where they are trying too hard.

Quote:
Of course that was the company I was talking about that's off the dislike list, and their recent "faltering" seems to have more to do with the impossibility of matching the enormous and frankly unrealistic hype/expectations and mythology surrounding their practices.
True, though a certain lousy gimmick certainly doesn't help.

Quote:
In my eyes they've always been consistent, for better or worse. I just wish they'd find their own compass without seemingly having to be bossed around by a sponsor or partner all the time.
That's probaly true too.

Personally, contrary to popular opinion, I think they play everything a bit too safe as can be seen in their strict adherence to the source material. Sure there's the funky episode airing in Haruhi, but it really has nothing on the other examples I named. So yea, a original work that becomes a hit is still a test they need to pass.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 19:52   Link #100
solomon

A notice to people

You can't really exclusively point to a studio being known for exessively bad works I am afraid, like with the KyoAni debacle.

(I can only speak on KyoAni's Haruhi work, as none of the rest of their material is up my alley in the least. But they have good animators at least, so they deserve credit there).

With anime I would say 9 times out of ten, what will make or break your material is whatever the source material is. Weither it is a game, novel, manga or whatever then if your source is good, chances are your adaption will be good (skill provided) and vice versa. Or you could say, you can be limited by your material. If you want to say that "Kanon was gimmicky compared to Haruhi", you can look at them on their own, but really that probably goes back to how the original source material was handled. You have to have the comparison to make such a judgement.

Then of course is wiether there is a staff that is creative enough to overcome and limitations in said matieral (which they are rarely allowed to mess with)

I also prefer the barometer of seeing how much good original stuff a studio makes but it not 100% necessary (maybe at least 85% though ).

In fact, I think it's hard to really say the "best studio", when all this really means is "Which studio put out the stuff I like best"

Clarifying that;

My tastes lean towards studios that have strong animators (VERY RARE) or visual stylists/designers/directors that try to stay relatively individualistic. I also give props to people who focus on original works, rather than light novel, game or manga adaptions. Not hating, but like I said before 9/10 you're at the mercy of your material and really it takes more effort to come up with something on your own.

With that, I'll go with

Sunrise; If only mainly for their works by Tominio/SF works they deserve credit, but they did really push the SF Genre in unique directions. They also do fairly good with manga adaptions in IMHO (ala City Hunter and Gintama) They also could (and still can) manage quite good animation some times which helped them stand out above other studios, especially for being such a large one (compare to most shoddy Toei work), thus it's little wonder that the staff of the 2nd studio division broke off to make;

BONES; I like them cause they generally have the gall to put out a lot of unique original works. They also actually animate (very) well on a consistant basis, which contrary to popular opinon few studios do. Here is more subjective but I personally believe that their quality of regular staff helps contibute to high quality manga adaptions as well (FMA and Soul Eater).

Gainax and IG and Manglobe are similar to above.

Honorable mentions include

SHAFT, who's works by Akiyuki Shinbou lend the studio a definite identity which many outfits lack.

Ghibli; Yea, his stuff is hit and miss with me like Disney. But like Disney, you're shitting yourself if you don't give him (Miyazaki) props for major talent and for what he's done for the industry creatively and commercially. Also Only Yesterday is one of my favorite anme films ever!

Tokyo Movie (known today as TMS); This is one on few fans radars, yet as a former student of animation, I highly respect the groundbreaking titles they did. Like the first big sports shows Kyoujin no Hoshi (Star of the Giants) and Aim for the Ace. You also cannot forget the immortal Lupin. This studio helped raise the bar for animation and style in shows for TV especially. Key to success is Director Osamu Dezaki who worked on well known shows like Ace, Space Cobra, Rose or Versailles and Ashita no Joe. He recently did the Ultraviolet and Genji Monogatari animes. You've seen his style referenced all the time but just haven't recongized his source.

Last edited by solomon; 2009-08-24 at 20:04.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote