AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-23, 06:01   Link #1
Rx_Fink
Cybernetic Wolf

Send a message via AIM to Rx_Fink
General Suggestions

Let me start off by saying I'm sorry if this thread violates the "Detail your suggestions or post = deleted" post. I couldn't figure out exactly what it was talking about, so I don't know if this is the kind of thing it was saying not to do.

I'm looking for things to DL off this site. Here's a list of animes I like and why I like them to give you an idea of my tastes.

FLCL - Far and away my favorite anime. Just everything is perfect, animation, art, soundtrack, characters, theme plot, humor, action, everything.

Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai (Magical Shopping District {/Arcade, I've heard both} Abenobashi) - Hillarious and yet an awesome story

Evangelion - So complex and emotional

Escaflowne - Similar to my writing style

Naruto - Lot's of characters with varied and original fighting styles (also similar to my writing style, in that respect)

Big O - Very dramatic at times, pleasently campy at others, it's cool how subtlely the episodes interconnect in the first season, and the plot of the second season is very interesting.

Everything from the main Gundam universe except the original "Mobile Suit Gundam" - I'm sure that the fact that the only one I don't like is the original will probably get me lynched... At any rate, I like the tragic themes

Princess Mononoke and Gundam Wing - Very epic

FF Unlimited, Spirited Away, and Digimon (also the non-anime movies Alice in Wonderland and The Phantom Tollbooth) - I really dig surreal picarism, even if it's kids stuff

Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Read or Die, and Ninja Scroll - Great action

Cowboy Bebop - Come on, it's Bebop

So hopefully that will give you a good idea of my tastes. I'm looking for anything similar to one or better yet a number of those.

Last edited by Rx_Fink; 2004-07-23 at 13:45.
Old 2004-07-23, 06:19   Link #2
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Well, unliscensed I would have to go with a pretty striuct route...

Going off what you listed as your likings and why, I could easily make more recommendations on liscensed material Anyways...to the recommendations..

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien...this should easily fulfill your tragic theme request...a standard schoolkid slice-of-life love story with more tragedy than a single trainwreck. It's got a mix of everything in it, but ultimately sticks to the main drama plot.

Madlax...I didn't see Noir in your listings so this might be a leap for you. It has a lot of NGE-style storytelling (loosely using that comparison), a rather deep plot and actually interesting action makes this one of the good 'thinking' animes as of late. (Of course, this is my opinion)

Try any of the recent ero game->anime conversions...there's quite a good mix of themes in them and don't rely too heavily on the ecchiness. Da Capo, Kanon...

If ecchiness isn't a bad thing for you, give DearS a try...take Chobits and add a healthy dose of ecchi, toss in a very sexually-driven teacher, and you've got a fairly entertaining show for most.

Of course, these are all my opinions and I am sure others will disagree with them, but hey, I can only recommend what I feel fits Good luck.
Old 2004-07-23, 06:33   Link #3
Rx_Fink
Cybernetic Wolf

I don't know what ecchi is. I am embarassed by my ignorance...

Anyway, yeah, I didn't like Noir. I watched up to episode 8 or so and nothing about it interested me.
Old 2004-07-23, 07:16   Link #4
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!

Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
Samurai Champloo. It meets almost all your criteria, and it gets better and better as each episode goes on. It's up to episode 9 now (RAW) and I was laughing so much, I'm not sure what category this fits under, anymore! Lots of action, and good steady plot development. Nothing is really rushed. It's directed by Shichiro Watanabe, so you can be guarenteed there's a lot of style. Good music, good characters, good action, and a simple main plot. It's pretty much episodic, much like bebop was, and seems to be taking the same path in terms of plot development, ect. I highly reccomend it. It's one of my favourite series. Oh, and ecchi is a mild perverted-ness.. think panty shots.
Old 2004-07-23, 08:09   Link #5
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx_Fink
I don't know what ecchi is. I am embarassed by my ignorance...

Anyway, yeah, I didn't like Noir. I watched up to episode 8 or so and nothing about it interested me.
Ecchi itself is considered sexual innuendo and light nudity...basically it's that area between normal anime and hentai, in a very, very general contrasting.

Like Midori said, basically pantsu shots (perfect example of a ecchi-driven series, Najica...panty shots galore), some breast shots, a bit of sexual innuendo...basically consider it like PG-13 level on the take of sex. Fanservice plays a whole bunch into ecchi animes. Don't be embarassed with your terminology problems, it's not a big deal and no one here is going to thnk any less of you if you don't know what "ecchi" means

As for Noir, it's really a love or hate anime, not too many have the grey area when it comes to it.

I hope some others come in with some good suggestions, I could go about and do the normal routine of suggesting those common-place animes, but most of them are liscensed, ala Love Hina and since you've seen Bebop and NGE, you've got the basics pretty covered in what you've already seen
Old 2004-09-21, 06:20   Link #6
Rx_Fink
Cybernetic Wolf

Ok, I've DLed all the anime already suggested, and I'm looking for more. Other stuff I've already DLed includes Galaxy Express 999 (which I loved, more picarism, though not necesscarily surreal), Galaxy Railways, Brave Express Might Gaine, all the Gundams, Macross Zero, and Tales of Eternia.
Old 2004-09-25, 03:02   Link #7
Rx_Fink
Cybernetic Wolf

Hey, come on! Someone suggest something! Do you mean to tell me that no one out there knows any animes similar to any of the ones I listed? Come on people, it's stupid to make me make another whole thread.
Old 2004-09-25, 03:08   Link #8
donna8157

Try:

Kanon
Da Capo
Samurai 7
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu - comedy
Full Metal Panic
Rurouni Kenshin - loved this
Juuni Kokki - beautiful storyline/animation
Otogizoushi - great storyline/animation
Princess Tutu - angst/dark/fairy tale like series
Scryed
Elfen Lied
Tenjou Tenge
Haibane Renmei - a lot of thought put into it
Kino's Travels - a lot of thought put into it
Hunter x Hunter - since you like Naruto =D This is a great series.
Old 2004-09-25, 06:02   Link #9
Rx_Fink
Cybernetic Wolf

A keyword is that I'm looking for anime I can download off of THIS SITE, unless you can direct me to another site where I can get it, which you probably can't if these things are liscenced (if you could tell me where I could get Full Metal Panic Fumoffu you'd be my best friend forever and ever). I regretably don't have the money to go out and actually buy anime right now.

Still, thank you very much for the suggestions. I'll start DLing Hunter X Hunter and Samurai 7 next.
Old 2004-09-25, 16:07   Link #10
hooliganj
Team Player

Samurai 7 was just announced by Funimation, so that will be removed soon, if it isn't already.

As for suggestions, I can't find a single common thread amongst the shows you listed, except they're all shounen. That mean you might like about 80% of the anime out there, so all I can really do is point you towards this page and wish you luck. If you have a more specific question, I'm sure anybody would be glad to help.
Old 2004-09-26, 04:07   Link #11
Rx_Fink
Cybernetic Wolf

Like I said, I wasn't looking for an anime that has all those elements from all those animes I listed, I was looking for animes similar to ONE of those animes in the respective aspect I liked. I said if it had stuff in common with more than one of those shows, it would be awesome, but I wasn't really asking for that specifically. But whatever, it does seem that this request didn't snag peoples attention well, so I guess I'll try something more specific next time, though I really don't want to.

Thanks for the heads up on Samurai 7. It indeed seems to be too late. This is the second time I've missed the boat by a day on an anime. Blag... Oh well, Hunter X Hunter will give me something to DL for quite a while (assuming I like it).
Old 2004-09-26, 15:13   Link #12
hooliganj
Team Player

That's what I mean though, your list is so broad that I could suggest almost anything action and it would have something in common with a show you listed.

What the heck, I'll take a shot at it anyway. These are shows taken from the list of series available on AnimeSuki, put through the filter of what hooliganj enjoyed watching, and can therefore honestly recommend:

Action:
Battle Programmer Shirase - Super hacker ends up doing various jobs for the government. Contains some random, ecchi comedy
Combustible Campus Guardress - Old 4 episode OVA about a school where everyone has superpowers
Future Boy Conan - Really old show about the last boy in the world and his journey to find other people
Gakkou no Kaidan - Middle school girl and her friends play Ghostbusters
Hunter X Hunter - Already mentioned, listed here for completeness
Konjiki no Gash Bell!! - Very much like Naruto or Hunter X Hunter, but more episodic in style
Mamotte Shugogettan - A boy get an artifact in the mail that summons a beautiful girl. Hilarity ensues. Very hit or miss in its popularity.
Narutaru - Girl finds a mysterious creature and takes it home. Despite the cute opening sequence and first episode, this show is very dark and disturbing
Naruto - Again, listed for completeness
Re: Cutey Honey - An update on the Go Nagai classic from Hideaki Anno
Secret of Cerulean Sand - Adventure series in the same vein as Nadia
Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko TV - High school girls travel to the future to pilot spaeships
You're Under Arrest II - About two policewomen who get into an inordinate number of car chases

Sports: (I always considered them pseudo-action, listed seperately in case you don't like them)
Ashita no Joe II - Boxing
H2 - Baseball
Slam Dunk - Basketball
Touch - Baseball
Yawara - Judo

Drama: (less action, but great shows nonetheless)
Monster - Psychological suspense show about a doctor and a serial murderer
Uninhabited Planet Survive - 7 kids and a robot playing sci-fi Swiss Family Robinson

Comedy: (since you like FLCL and Abenobashi, I assume you don't mind wild antics)
2x2 = Shinobuden - About some very silly perverted ninjas
Galaxy Angel III & IV - Random adventures in space
Keroro Gunsou - Alien frog try to take over the Earth
Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoiyo!! Masaru-san - The title really says it all

I hope you find something that suits your taste.
Old 2004-09-28, 12:24   Link #13
Rx_Fink
Cybernetic Wolf

I don't mind a long list though. I DL every night, so I'll probably get around to DLing most of this stuff, I just need to know what's good and what it's about so I know what order to DL them in so I can avoid having the good ones getting liscenced before I can get around to them. So your list was very helpful, so thank you.
Old 2004-11-12, 01:16   Link #14
Rx_Fink
Cybernetic Wolf

Ok, I've been through all of those that interest me. Now hit me with something else people!
Old 2004-11-14, 06:50   Link #15
Rx_Fink
Cybernetic Wolf

A mod left a comment, and I quote...

"A good example of how we like people to request suggestions ~ NW"

So don't give me any crap about how I phrased my request ;p Come on people, help me out here.

P.S. I loved Cutie Honey, I'd like it more if there was less nudity, but damned if it isn't hilarious, endearing, and even has some good action. So thanks for the tip Hooliganj!
Closed Thread