AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-07-02, 23:05   Link #1
Sklappu

Green faces, lots of seeds, yet slow transfers

As mentioned in the sticky FAQ, I have an asymmetrical connection (I think even exactly as the example mentioned; 2mbit down and only 256 up). It's all well and good that I know the reason for my slow transfers, but is there really no way to get around this?
I'm currently trying to download Madlax 13 which has 600 seeds and 800 leechers, and I'm downloading at 7k/s and uploading at 16k/s. I'm aware the BT downloads start out slow but this hasn't changed over the last 30 minutes or so.
My net connection in general seems fine as I'm able to download normally at 120k/s.

I've tried using the regular BT client, bittornado, and now went back to my regular Azureus. The two latter ones both gave me a green light/smiley so I don't think there are any firewall/port/router issues. If I tried choosing "dialup/isdn" from the drop-down menu in bittornado (hey, gotta experiment a little ) the speed would shoot to ~90k/s for a brief moment and then drop again, dont know if that's related or not.
Sklappu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 01:59   Link #2
best_wl

Isn't surprising... I am also having the same problem for the past week. What makes it puzzling is that I have been having perfectly normal bittorrent operation(upload:15 kb/s, download: 30 kb/s) only two weeks ago. Strange...
best_wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 22:13   Link #3
Doppelganger
Lazy Undergraduate

Send a message via ICQ to Doppelganger Send a message via AIM to Doppelganger
give it some time. From what it sounds like, there's nothing you can do. Torrent speeds can be whimsical.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 08:34   Link #4
Sklappu

I'm aware that they take time to pick up (and sometimes are just slow if you're in a certain swarm), but ever since I made that post my speed hasn't gone over 15kb/s and usually hovers around 8-10.
I'm mostly trying to download torrents with lots of seeders but to not much effect. I'm stumped. Are ISP's able to do anything about using certain p2p programs? I wouldn't be surprised if they had put a cap or something on their ports.
Sklappu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 10:16   Link #5
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklappu
I'm aware that they take time to pick up (and sometimes are just slow if you're in a certain swarm), but ever since I made that post my speed hasn't gone over 15kb/s and usually hovers around 8-10.
I'm mostly trying to download torrents with lots of seeders but to not much effect. I'm stumped. Are ISP's able to do anything about using certain p2p programs? I wouldn't be surprised if they had put a cap or something on their ports.
ISPs can throttle speeds through certain port ranges, i.e. the BT ports. Ever tried changing the ports? Change it from 6881 (default) to some random port in Configuration:Server and see if that solves the case.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 01:51   Link #6
romamov

WEll i don think it is a problem with the client .....cause i had the same bloddy problem 4 2- 3 wks already .. ...

on top of that ..i got the tracker online massage telling me that my connection is full .........what on earth is happening to my Azreus!!!
romamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 02:24   Link #7
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romamov
WEll i don think it is a problem with the client .....cause i had the same bloddy problem 4 2- 3 wks already .. ...

on top of that ..i got the tracker online massage telling me that my connection is full .........what on earth is happening to my Azreus!!!
Connection full? Do you mean that you are connected to the maximum number of peers? How many is that? (You can increase the number of connections but sometimes that'll crash your internet connection if it's too high, that's why I'm asking) Check the numbers in Configuration:Transfer

BTW, did you change the port already?
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?

Old 2004-07-14, 05:49   Link #8
romamov

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Connection full? Do you mean that you are connected to the maximum number of peers? How many is that? (You can increase the number of connections but sometimes that'll crash your internet connection if it's too high, that's why I'm asking) Check the numbers in Configuration:Transfer

BTW, did you change the port already?
ya .......i did change my port ......thX the other time ....

abt my newest problem .......LOL ..i have got a tracker status like this :

Tracker Status: offline (SocketException . no buffer space avaliable (maximum connection reached?):connect )
romamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 07:45   Link #9
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romamov
ya .......i did change my port ......thX the other time ....

abt my newest problem .......LOL ..i have got a tracker status like this :

Tracker Status: offline (SocketException . no buffer space avaliable (maximum connection reached?):connect )
Option1: It seems that the tracker has reached his maximum connections. Did you try any other torrents that use a different tracker? If other trackers (try more than one) work for you, see Solution1. If other trackers don't work for you, the message could also mean that you have reached your maximum allowed connection. It's easy to check if that is the case, though: Compare the sum of your connections of both the torrents in the Download Queue and the Seeding Queue and compare them to the maximum number of connections globally in Configuration:Transfer. Raise the number if necessary but keep in mind that too many connection could kill your internet connection, so you could also reduce the number of active torrents

Solution: Wait until someone disconnects so that you can take his place.

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-07-14 at 08:01.
Old 2004-07-20, 15:58   Link #10
hcl4

I also have a similar problem with downloading from new torrents with many seeds/peers. If I download from an older torrent with less seeds I usually get close to my max download speed.
hcl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 17:00   Link #11
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl4
I also have a similar problem with downloading from new torrents with many seeds/peers. If I download from an older torrent with less seeds I usually get close to my max download speed.
That's not really a download problem since that's normal. The less the availability is (or to say it in other terms: low average completion of the file --> slow download), the slower you download.

Heck, that sounds complicated >_<

Old 2004-07-27, 19:57   Link #12
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

one thing I noticed when I got back from Vacation and trying to download is the SafePeer is blocking 50% of all the traffic/peers. When I turned off safepeer, my DL speed maxed out.

Your DL speed may also be impacted the same.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote