AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-02-11, 20:18   Link #33521
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
rofl^

I'm just surprised we haven't come up with it sooner.
__________________
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 20:23   Link #33522
amaterasu4
CAUSE I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Shame Car
amaterasu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 22:49   Link #33523
Dekomori Sanae
Twintail Twister!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Guess who was the first person to write down the famouse word "fuck" in English?
It was a monk, of course, complaining about an abbot in 1528:



Here's the first recorded instance of the F-word in English.

And it's a monk expressing his displeasure at an abbot. In the margins of a guide to moral conduct. Because of course.

Technically, "fuck" appeared two times before this. In 1500, it was used in a satirical poem to describe some friars. In that case, nothing like "fuck" was actually written out. Instead, the word was hidden in a code. And in 1513, it appeared in a Scottish poem as "fukkit."

But for English's first use, we've got a dissatisfied 1528 monk. He's written "O D fuckin abbot." Melissa Mohr, author of Holy Sh*t: A Brief History of Swearing, says this "fuck" could be either literal or metaphorical:

It is difficult to know whether the annotator intended "fucking" to mean "having sex," as in "that guy is doing too much fucking for someone who is supposed to be celibate," or whether he used it as an intensifier, to convey his extreme dismay; if the latter, it anticipates the first recorded use by more than three hundred years. Either is possible, really—John Burton, the abbot in question, was a man of questionable monastic morals.

So, either this monk was recording his abbot's sex life or he was the first person to be so angry that only "fuck" could convey it's scope.

What's also great is that the "D" probably stands for "damned." The monk had no problem with fucking, but damnation was a curse too far. Honestly, given the meanings, that's fair.

Photo by nigelpornberry via superlinguo

Source
Dekomori Sanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 01:38   Link #33524
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It had a few great plots and one decent sub-plot *cough*
I'm really confused as to whether or not you meant that ironically. But as it is, it doesn't matter!

__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 02:10   Link #33525
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I'm really confused as to whether or not you meant that ironically. But as it is, it doesn't matter!

Speakin of boobs

__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 05:59   Link #33526
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
I think I just saw the best/worst image that snow meme generated

Images
size
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar & Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 06:31   Link #33527
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I'm really confused as to whether or not you meant that ironically. But as it is, it doesn't matter!

Sub plot equal small plot, that's why it's only a sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I think I just saw the best/worst image that snow meme generated

Images
size
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I didn't think you had it in you
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 06:49   Link #33528
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Raftel
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE Send a message via Skype™ to SOGESNAKE
__________________
SOGESNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 10:16   Link #33529
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 10:18   Link #33530
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekomori Sanae View Post
Guess who was the first person to write down the famouse word "fuck" in English?
It was a monk, of course, complaining about an abbot in 1528:



Here's the first recorded instance of the F-word in English.

And it's a monk expressing his displeasure at an abbot. In the margins of a guide to moral conduct. Because of course.

Technically, "fuck" appeared two times before this. In 1500, it was used in a satirical poem to describe some friars. In that case, nothing like "fuck" was actually written out. Instead, the word was hidden in a code. And in 1513, it appeared in a Scottish poem as "fukkit."

But for English's first use, we've got a dissatisfied 1528 monk. He's written "O D fuckin abbot." Melissa Mohr, author of Holy Sh*t: A Brief History of Swearing, says this "fuck" could be either literal or metaphorical:

It is difficult to know whether the annotator intended "fucking" to mean "having sex," as in "that guy is doing too much fucking for someone who is supposed to be celibate," or whether he used it as an intensifier, to convey his extreme dismay; if the latter, it anticipates the first recorded use by more than three hundred years. Either is possible, really—John Burton, the abbot in question, was a man of questionable monastic morals.

So, either this monk was recording his abbot's sex life or he was the first person to be so angry that only "fuck" could convey it's scope.

What's also great is that the "D" probably stands for "damned." The monk had no problem with fucking, but damnation was a curse too far. Honestly, given the meanings, that's fair.

Photo by nigelpornberry via superlinguo

Source
Cue Abbot jokes.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 12:16   Link #33531
Libros
I never hid my hurts.
 
 
Join Date: May 2012


Just had to share that.


Where I got it from.
__________________
"In this world where classification is key I want to erase the straight lines, so I can be me."
—Staceyann Cinn
Libros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 20:03   Link #33532
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libros View Post

Just had to share that.


Where I got it from.
The girl in your avatar looks rather happy cuddling that animal. Maybe if we give one of each to every girl they will all be happy!
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 22:25   Link #33533
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
I read some of that thread at crunchyroll. Who is Chris Hansen? Not the poster. Is Chris Hansen the name of the person in the avatar of the poster 'Chris Hansen'?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 22:29   Link #33534
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Raftel
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE Send a message via Skype™ to SOGESNAKE
__________________
SOGESNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 22:33   Link #33535
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post

Cumming to theaters Summer 2014 - Brokeback Batman.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 00:59   Link #33536
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
inb4 SaintessHeart's outrage.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 01:10   Link #33537
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
inb4 SaintessHeart's outrage.

Or maybe SaintessHeart's delight. He might wanna sign up to be a magician at a little girl's birthday party now...
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 01:55   Link #33538
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Spoiler:
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 03:23   Link #33539
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Raftel
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE Send a message via Skype™ to SOGESNAKE
__________________
SOGESNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 06:20   Link #33540
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Please read the forum rules with regards to pornography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Or maybe SaintessHeart's delight. He might wanna sign up to be a magician at a little girl's birthday party now...
That is slanderous. Even if I am a magician, I will not do that!
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
humor

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.