AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-07-29, 15:25   Link #1
wazzup

Encoding help

dunno where to post this in but here goes anyways....

what do encoders in fansubs do ??? do they put the subs and vid together and compress it??

also are there any guides for encoding that fansubs doo??

thanks much
wazzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 15:37   Link #2
Spuffy
オウカ~

They usually apply some filters to make the raw look better. That could be sharpening, smoothing, blurring etc. Then the subs are "burnt" into the video stream (almost every fansub uses hardsubs). Then an audiostream is added and the both streams are compressed into an avi that is later available for download.

If you want to learn how to play around with video files I suggest http://www.doom9.org/
There are a tons of different guides there and forum most likely contains all you need to now.

Last edited by Spuffy; 2004-07-29 at 16:16.
Spuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 16:29   Link #3
wazzup

thing is ... what tutorial do i read??? the tutorial for adding filters ?? also what software do fansubs use for the things u mentioned above??
Old 2004-07-29, 16:59   Link #4
Spuffy
オウカ~

For filters, stream management, adding subs and encoding, VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod will do. It's a very nice free software. Then you need different codecs, but if you watch fansubs you most likely have every codec you need installed. Then for using the xvid codec for compression read the xvid faq and the threads regarding xvid at www.doom9.org. They discuss the built in filters in VDub and also non-built in and how you use them as long with the settings for the xvid codec itself.
Then if you want to edit audio you need software like Wavestudio etc. And finally regarding subs, there are quite a number of different software and formats available. I would go with Substation Alfa.

Now, most software can be found at doom9, and if not jut use google. Read the manual and faqs for the different softwares and look for threads regarding the earlier mentioned software at (again) doom9. All you need to know can be found there
Old 2004-07-29, 17:26   Link #5
Cruzz
Europeon

What I'd use if I was in a group:

Virtualdubmod (for encoding)
Avisynth (for filters)
VSFilter (for combining the video with the subtitles)
BeSweet (for audio re-encoding if needed)
AviMuxGui (for combining video and audio)

For creating subtitles, I quite like Medusa. It was the first subtitling program I used and I also felt it was the best one after I tried substation alpha and some other programs.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 17:56   Link #6
Spuffy
オウカ~

I use avisynt myself but I left it out since I think it's better to try out filters with vdub first if you're really new to videoencoding. Avisynth is, while not really hard to use, not what I would call user friendly software for beginners.
Old 2004-07-29, 19:11   Link #7
wazzup

"Virtualdubmod (for encoding)"

what would prog exactly do ??? compress the file formed by avi mux gui???
Old 2004-07-29, 20:26   Link #8
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

Go to www.doom9.org
Go to their guides section and it will teach you whatever style of encoding you want.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 03:01   Link #9
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzup
"Virtualdubmod (for encoding)"

what would prog exactly do ??? compress the file formed by avi mux gui???
You compress the video with vdubmod first, then combine the audio and video with avimuxgui. Avimuxgui is optional really, but virtualdub(mod)'s audio handling is less than stellar so I prefer to use avimuxgui.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuffy
I use avisynt myself but I left it out since I think it's better to try out filters with vdub first if you're really new to videoencoding. Avisynth is, while not really hard to use, not what I would call user friendly software for beginners.
Avisynth is far from being newbie unfriendly. It's very simple to operate and everything is well documented. In my opinion, virtualdub filters are no easier to operate than avisynth ones.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote