AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-07-26, 20:59   Link #1
Archuka
A territory most absolute

System resources drained (all clients)

I've tried several different clients including the official one and Azureus, and every single one of them quickly eats all my resources. It takes about 10-15 mins to close the client(s), but everything starts to work perfectly once it is done.

This did not happen until I upgraded some hardware including new RAM (512 SDRAM --> 1GB DDRAM) I haven't had any memory leak problems with anything else than BT clients.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Abit AN7
1GB some unnamed cheap ass DDRAM (suspicious, but haven't had any other problems)

Any ideas to why this happens?
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 00:19   Link #2
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
Any ideas to why this happens?
If you open up your task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), does an instance of svchost.exe take up about 80% of your CPU power?

If not, I hate to keep saying the same thing over and over again, but have you used AdAware (note: I did not write this program) and SpyBot Search and Destory (note: I am in no way affiliated with the creation or continued viability of this fine peice of equipment) lately? Scanned for Viruses with your favorite updated virus scanner? If you dont have one, there's alway TrendMirco Housecall.(note: I am not a member of the TrendMirco Dev Team)
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 13:32   Link #3
Archuka

Yes I have scanned for adware and viruses.
I have four instances of scvhost.exe running and none of them takes up even 1% of CPU power. I do have this "Järjestelmän vapaaprosessi" which is Finnish (Finnish Windows) and translates to something like "System free process", which takes about 95-99% of CPU power. This is how it is in every computer with Finnish Windows.

Total processes: 32 CPU usage: 0-8% Memory reserved: 303M / 2462M
Old 2004-07-27, 13:55   Link #4
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Yes I have scanned for adware and viruses.
I have four instances of scvhost.exe running and none of them takes up even 1% of CPU power. I do have this "Järjestelmän vapaaprosessi" which is Finnish (Finnish Windows) and translates to something like "System free process", which takes about 95-99% of CPU power. This is how it is in every computer with Finnish Windows.

Total processes: 32 CPU usage: 0-8% Memory reserved: 303M / 2462M

Hmm..."aika omituista" (nice to see other finns here ). You could try to set BT client to low priority from task manager. Also consider using CachemanXP to optimize your system cache for your large memory (cachemanXP really helped me put my ram to good use ). Other then that...hmm...maybe run Memtest86?
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 16:58   Link #5
Ending

Well, if you have the *latest updates*, and even the raw version of BT does this, you really should look for something else to blame. What have you been doing with your comp...?
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 21:46   Link #6
Archuka

I'll try CachemanXP and Memtest86 and post resuslts here later. Thanks for your advice.
Old 2004-07-27, 22:30   Link #7
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
eww... i hated that program.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-28, 13:55   Link #8
Doppelganger
Lazy Undergraduate

Send a message via ICQ to Doppelganger Send a message via AIM to Doppelganger
Are you using peerguardian or somesuch?

Firewalls and filters in userspace can really kill performance.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 09:54   Link #9
Archuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger
Are you using peerguardian or somesuch?

Firewalls and filters in userspace can really kill performance.
After instaling CachemanXP I could check my system resources just by pointing at the tiny icon in the lower right cirner of my screen. When Azureus locked up again after I tried to close it, I checked my resources and they were indeed normal, so the problem had to be elsewhere.

I restarted and tried by removing Zone Alarm (firewall) and then starting Azureus. I left it on over night and voila, no problems in the morning when I closed Azureus. This I didn't expect, because I used to run Zone Alarm before when I didn't have any problems. I bet it's because of the newer version and its virus monitoring that for some reason runs in the background even if you disable it.
Old 2004-07-30, 11:54   Link #10
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
I restarted and tried by removing Zone Alarm (firewall) and then starting Azureus. I left it on over night and voila, no problems in the morning when I closed Azureus. This I didn't expect, because I used to run Zone Alarm before when I didn't have any problems. I bet it's because of the newer version and its virus monitoring that for some reason runs in the background even if you disable it.
Have you read the sticky in the Download Help forum?
ZoneAlarm 5.0.590.043 causes connection hangups with BitTorrent clients
Could it be your problem?
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 09:16   Link #11
Archuka

Thanks Xris. That solved my problem. I guess I should have checked that area before posting.