AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-09-01, 16:17   Link #3121
secretzfan
Senior Member
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Slaping Mayuri Kurotsuchi around in Quincy Town :D
Hey there is a great site for learn Japanese easily
http://thejapanesepage.com/
__________________
secretzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 16:44   Link #3122
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Looking for Reason to hear it's voice
Age: 4
Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan View Post
Hey there is a great site for learn Japanese easily
http://thejapanesepage.com/
I find that the link in my sigg is a lot more helpful in learning Hiragana http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/self/s.../hiragana.html. It helps by linking the letter with a picture that it looks like as well as a sound. It really helps me that I made flash cards small enough to fit in my pocket to carry them around everywhere. I try to look them over when ever I have a chance, I learned almost the first 20 in about a day (get mixed up with "Te" and "Tsu", I just got that stuck in my head wrong.
__________________
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles - Christopher Reeve
thevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 16:48   Link #3123
secretzfan
Senior Member
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Slaping Mayuri Kurotsuchi around in Quincy Town :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
I find that the link in my sigg is a lot more helpful in learning Hiragana http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/self/s.../hiragana.html. It helps by linking the letter with a picture that it looks like as well as a sound. It really helps me that I made flash cards small enough to fit in my pocket to carry them around everywhere. I try to look them over when ever I have a chance, I learned almost the first 20 in about a day (get mixed up with "Te" and "Tsu", I just got that stuck in my head wrong.
Nice site that helps with writing Japanese. I prefer the Japanese page to learn how to speak it
__________________
secretzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 16:51   Link #3124
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Looking for Reason to hear it's voice
Age: 4
Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan View Post
Nice site that helps with writing Japanese. I prefer the Japanese page to learn how to speak it
It does tech you how to speak it, Click on a character, and click 'sound', and 'movie'.
It's helped me a lot in speaking it. (still messy on the hand writing though)
__________________
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles - Christopher Reeve
thevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 17:09   Link #3125
secretzfan
Senior Member
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Slaping Mayuri Kurotsuchi around in Quincy Town :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
It does tech you how to speak it, Click on a character, and click 'sound', and 'movie'.
It's helped me a lot in speaking it. (still messy on the hand writing though)
I see but it is neat but kind of tough to use because it still has a few problems when teaching you how to speak as it does show how to combine everything into a straight sentence I will use this though too
__________________
secretzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 19:22   Link #3126
Langus
Optimus Prime
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Japan/Canada
Age: 30
Different strokes for different folks eh there secretzfan?
__________________
(This magnificent sig. is courtesy of the talented Kuroda )
Langus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 07:30   Link #3127
Qikz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
Different strokes for different folks eh there secretzfan?
I think that's the main thing with learning actually, since everyone learns differently.

Like, one of my internet friends who I've known for about a year started learning before me, but he learnt entirely from tapes so can't actually write anything, where as I'm the polar opposite. I find writing things down makes it easier to remember, where as he finds it easier to remember by listening.

Crazy way our minds work.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 16:06   Link #3128
secretzfan
Senior Member
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Slaping Mayuri Kurotsuchi around in Quincy Town :D
I think that is understandable to every person
__________________
secretzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 19:07   Link #3129
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Looking for Reason to hear it's voice
Age: 4
Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan View Post
I think that is understandable to every person
Why? I agree with him... I learn better by writing things while hearing them at the same time. That's why I recommended the site in my sig because it lets you do both. Using that site I made flash cards while listening to the sound of that character and just study them.

Here's my own new questions:
What are some commonly misused Hiragana characters, and characters that people had trouble with when learning them? One thing I have trouble with is (nu), and (meh).
There are a few more that I have trouble with so far, but those are only two of them. Help?

Is this character's sound "Fu (foo)", or "Hu (hoo)": .

Also, I still don't get how to set my computer up to type Japanese. If someone knows how and is willing to help me, I would appreciate that.
__________________
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles - Christopher Reeve
thevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 19:51   Link #3130
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 26
Assuming you use Win7 or XP (might be different names): Control panel -> Language/region -> keyboard and languages -> change keyboards -> add -> Japanese. In the trey (where your time is), you should see something that says "EN," click on it and you can change between English and Japanese (and any other language you add as well). There's options for typing in Hiragana, Katakana, and using the spacebar you can make kanji as well.
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 20:07   Link #3131
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Looking for Reason to hear it's voice
Age: 4
Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Assuming you use Win7 or XP (might be different names): Control panel -> Language/region -> keyboard and languages -> change keyboards -> add -> Japanese. In the trey (where your time is), you should see something that says "EN," click on it and you can change between English and Japanese (and any other language you add as well). There's options for typing in Hiragana, Katakana, and using the spacebar you can make kanji as well.
I think Win XP is considerably different then your explanation. I need an XP version of this...
__________________
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles - Christopher Reeve
thevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 22:59   Link #3132
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
Why? I agree with him... I learn better by writing things while hearing them at the same time. That's why I recommended the site in my sig because it lets you do both. Using that site I made flash cards while listening to the sound of that character and just study them.

Here's my own new questions:
What are some commonly misused Hiragana characters, and characters that people had trouble with when learning them? One thing I have trouble with is (nu), and (meh).
There are a few more that I have trouble with so far, but those are only two of them. Help?

Is this character's sound "Fu (foo)", or "Hu (hoo)": .

Also, I still don't get how to set my computer up to type Japanese. If someone knows how and is willing to help me, I would appreciate that.
ふ is pronounced like a light Fu. Like, say Hu, but bring your lips into an O. Feel the air pass, but don't bring your upper teeth to your bottom lip like an English Fu.

Some kana that I had trouble with are い む き and さ. I kept flipping い, and with the other three, the stroke order kept confusing me. き and さ are two strokes, not three (across, then the rest. I thought it was three because those characters look different in certain fonts)). Writing む was just an absolute mess for me (the circle thing is a loop, not an actual circle ). I didn't learn correct stroke orders for all the kana until I went to an actual class. btw if you're serious about learning, I highly suggest going to a class at some point. You may be able to skid by without formal instruction with a language descended from Latin, but with Japanese, a language which was cultivated in an entirely different environment than English, you'll need a helping hand. At the very least, a class will make things easier and faster.

About typing Japanese on XP, here: http://blog.greggman.com/blog/japane...on_windows_xp/ (the guide is for XP Pro, but I went through the process with my XP Home and nothing is different, so it's good to use for all XP users). To type in Japanese, select Japanese as the input language, and Microsoft IME Standard as the keyboard layout if you have a QWERTY keyboard (if you have a Japanese keyboard, choose Japanese as the keyboard layout). The necessary files are included in your computer if your comp came preloaded with XP. If you installed XP over a different OS manually, then you may need the installation CD to get the East Asian Language pack, or download it (if Windows still supports XP).

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-09-03 at 06:27.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 23:03   Link #3133
Langus
Optimus Prime
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Japan/Canada
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
Here's my own new questions:
What are some commonly misused Hiragana characters, and characters that people had trouble with when learning them? One thing I have trouble with is (nu), and (meh).
There are a few more that I have trouble with so far, but those are only two of them. Help?
Komari gives some good advice. Honestly, the only way to learn the characters is to memorize them. Write them in words over and over and eventually they will stick. There's really no other way.
__________________
(This magnificent sig. is courtesy of the talented Kuroda )
Langus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 23:29   Link #3134
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
Komari gives some good advice. Honestly, the only way to learn the characters is to memorize them. Write them in words over and over and eventually they will stick. There's really no other way.
No matter what Rosetta Stone says, repetition is key. Learn it, study it, use it in context. The only thing better than that is total immersion in the country.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 05:39   Link #3135
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Looking for Reason to hear it's voice
Age: 4
Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari
ふ is pronounced like a light Fu. Like, say Hu, but bring your lips into an O. Feel the air pass, but don't bring your bottom teeth to your upper lip like an English Fu.

Some kana that I had trouble with are い む き and さ. I kept flipping い, and with the other three, the stroke order kept confusing me. き and さ are two strokes, not three (across, then the rest. I thought it was three because those characters look different in certain fonts)). Writing む was just an absolute mess for me (the circle thing is a loop, not an actual circle ). I didn't learn correct stroke orders for all the kana until I went to an actual class. btw if you're serious about learning, I highly suggest going to a class at some point. You may be able to skid by without formal instruction with a language descended from Latin, but with Japanese, a language which was cultivated in an entirely different environment than English, you'll need a helping hand. At the very least, a class will make things easier and faster.
I actually am taking a class. The teacher is so far been teaching us how to recognize characters, as well as write them. In addition to that, she is also giving us basic basic vocabulary such as greetings, basic questions, and acceptable answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari again
About typing Japanese on XP, here: http://blog.greggman.com/blog/japane...on_windows_xp/ (the guide is for XP Pro, but I went through the process with my XP Home and nothing is different, so it's good to use for all XP users). To type in Japanese, select Japanese as the input language, and Microsoft IME Standard as the keyboard layout if you have a QWERTY keyboard (if you have a Japanese keyboard, choose Japanese as the keyboard layout). The necessary files are included in your computer if your comp came preloaded with XP. If you installed XP over a different OS manually, then you may need the installation CD to get the East Asian Language pack, or download it (if Windows still supports XP).
ありがとごじえます ((Thank you. .) I think the spelling is correct) I typed it by how I thought it would be spelled. I didn't check it to make sure.

We all learned English (or what ever our native language is) by repetition (at least for the reading/writing part). For speaking, Being evolved in that Country is enough especially when where young we pick it up faster.
__________________
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles - Christopher Reeve
thevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 06:00   Link #3136
Doughnuts
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
but don't bring your bottom teeth to your upper lip like an English Fu.
Those damn English speakers - no wonder I never understand em.
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 06:26   Link #3137
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnuts View Post
Those damn English speakers - no wonder I never understand em.
I am now ashamed of my speaking skills. ftw lol

@evil ありがとうございます・・Arigatou gozaimasu
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 06:53   Link #3138
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nanairogaoka
Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
One thing I have trouble with is (nu), and (meh).
There are a few more that I have trouble with so far, but those are only two of them. Help?
As said already by other people here, repetition works well.
One suggestion I can give is to use the names of anime characters during practice writing. Make a list of names, until all hiragana characters are included in the list. Write the names everyday on paper.

That method worked for me. Made a list of 31 japanese names (gradually increased to 60 names) which I wrote over and over for almost 3 months (writing Rika's name everyday isn't a chore since she's one of my favourite characters ). Did the same for Katakana for another 3 months. Katakana is a little different from Hiragana, so I had to learn some basic rules on how to write it before starting.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2010-09-03 at 07:04.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 07:25   Link #3139
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Looking for Reason to hear it's voice
Age: 4
Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
One suggestion I can give is to use the names of anime characters during practice writing. Make a list of names, until all hiragana characters are included in the list. Write the names everyday on paper.

That method worked for me. Made a list of 31 japanese names (gradually increased to 60 names) which I wrote over and over for almost 3 months (writing Rika's name everyday isn't a chore since she's one of my favourite characters ). Did the same for Katakana for another 3 months. Katakana is a little different from Hiragana, so I had to learn some basic rules on how to write it before starting.
That's a good idea, I should try that. But then I also have to find the Hiragana spelling of it. Thanks.
__________________
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles - Christopher Reeve
thevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 10:55   Link #3140
ryohei
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
That's a good idea, I should try that. But then I also have to find the Hiragana spelling of it. Thanks.
I will write anime character names if you want.

sample:
Family First - Hiragana - Katakana - Kanji(Chinese character) - Meaning of family name + of 1st name

Fujibayashi Kyou - ふじばやし きょう - フジバヤシ キョウ - 藤林 杏 - Japanese wisteria forest + apricot
Fujibayashi Ryou - ふじばやし りょう - フジバヤシ リョウ - 藤林 椋 - Japanese wisteria forest + aphananthe
Sakagami Tomoyo - さかがみ ともよ - サカガミ トモヨ - 坂上 智代 - upper side of the slope + wisdom
Furukawa Nagisa - ふるかわ なぎさ - フルカワ ナギサ - 古河 渚 - old river + beach/sea side
Okazaki Tomoya - おかざき ともや - オカザキ トモヤ - 岡崎 朋也 - top of the hill + close friend
Sunohara Youhei - すのはら ようへい - スノハラ ヨウヘイ - 春原 陽平 - spring(season) field + Sun
ryohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hiragana

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.