AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-08-02, 22:03   Link #1661
DGoscar

Japanese teaching DS game

Hey, I know that recently there have been alto of DS games that teach/review Japanese to people who have a beginner level of experience with the language. Would anyone happen to know if there are any plans to release a game that'll teach Japanese to somebody like me who has no knowledge of the language?
DGoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-03, 02:27   Link #1662
Kalistyr

Send a message via AIM to Kalistyr
I'm pretty sure when I say no. One reason is that the existing language DS software hasn't had impressive sales. Another is that I think even in Japan, the only DS software for Japanese language are kanji dictionaries (with some learning games). As a result, it wouldn't be a simple port of the Japanese version to an NA version.
Kalistyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 14:56   Link #1663
Autumn Demon
~

2年A組

Is it くみ or ぐみ?
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 17:05   Link #1664
nujaves
Native engrish speaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
2?A?

Is it ?? or ???
Its ??. Ninen eeh gumi. Alfabet type classes are ??. If its number type classes, we call it ??. 3?5?= san nen go kumi.
nujaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 18:09   Link #1665
waterchan

Quote:
2年A組

Is it くみ or ぐみ?
I thought it was くみ (kanji: 組) for "class"?
waterchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 18:18   Link #1666
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujaves View Post
Its ??. Ninen eeh gumi. Alfabet type classes are ??. If its number type classes, we call it ??. 3?5?= san nen go kumi.
all the Japanese characters in this post came out as question marks (?'s). anything i can do about this?
Old 2008-08-09, 18:24   Link #1667
waterchan

Quote:
all the Japanese characters in this post came out as question marks (?'s). anything i can do about this?
They appear to me as ??'s too, and I have never had a problem reading Japanese fonts. He might be using a different encoding set or something.
Old 2008-08-09, 19:46   Link #1668
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

he's using some off-the-usual-mark encoding set. I can read almost any character set -- so it'd be interesting to find out what he's using.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 21:32   Link #1669
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
I think it's not the matter of readers' environment. This board system converts the characters in articles other than US-ASCII into numeric references in ISO-10646 / Unicode; e.g., "& # 12415 ;" for み. I noticed that the characters at issue are just "?", not rare numeric codes. I believe that the sender's, namely nujavess's, environment has problem in dealing with Unicode; provably non-internationalised web browsers (as seen in some mobile phones).

As nujavess pointed, the consonants k/g mutate according to the words preceding to them. The phenomenon is called Rendaku. There are several rules known to scholars, but for learners it can be easier to just memorise when it should occur.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 22:17   Link #1670
waterchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
As nujavess pointed, the consonants k/g mutate according to the words preceding to them. The phenomenon is called Rendaku. There are several rules known to scholars, but for learners it can be easier to just memorise when it should occur.
Is "Rendaku" something like the difference between pronouncing 友達 and 君達? I thought it was simply a matter of choosing the spelling that is easier to pronounce. For example, pronouncing 友達 as ともだち feels more natural, while saying ともたち is harder for the mouth. Just as きみたち is easier and more comfortable to pronounce than きみだち.

I didn't know there were actually rules to that.
Old 2008-08-09, 22:51   Link #1671
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterchan View Post
Is "Rendaku" something like the difference between pronouncing 友達 and 君達? I thought it was simply a matter of choosing the spelling that is easier to pronounce. For example, pronouncing 友達 as ともだち feels more natural, while saying ともたち is harder for the mouth. Just as きみたち is easier and more comfortable to pronounce than きみだち.

I didn't know there were actually rules to that.
Exactly. And you know a scientist can be defined as a person seeking for clear and coherent formulae in phenomena in which normal people find no difficulty. If you have already grasped the sense, avoid acting Meyrink's centipede.
Old 2008-08-10, 06:36   Link #1672
Trixxi

I've got these Japanese worksheets that I need to hand in soon, and I have no idea what I am doing. Would anyone be able to help me out? PM me if you could.

Thanks in advance.
Trixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 18:43   Link #1673
nujaves
Native engrish speaka

Oh.... that "?" marks supposed to be "組". I posted by cellphone, the encoding set did not work right. I should check preview everytime I post...sorry for made people confuse.
nujaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 02:00   Link #1674
Autumn Demon
~

which is the kanji for heated table, 炬燵 or 火燵?
Old 2008-08-11, 02:16   Link #1675
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Both are correct, although Denshi Jisho says: "Irregular kanji usage...Usually written using kana alone"
Old 2008-08-12, 08:32   Link #1676
Trixxi

Ok, I've done as much as I can - could anyone tell me if these sentances are grammatically correct?

1. Watashi wa igirisu-jin desu
2. Kochira wa watashi no desu
3. Kinoo wa suiyoobi deshita
4. Sono pen o san-bon kudosai
5. Otokonko mittsu go imasu

6. Senshuu tomodachi no uchi ni ikimashita
7. Teeburu no ue ni hon ga arimasu
8. Kyoo watashi wa nani o tabemasendeshita
9. Kyoo watashi wa tomodachi to densha de London ni ikimasu
10. Ima ni terebi to teeburu to todana ga arimasu

11. Akai kuroi kutsu wa ichiman-gosen-yonyaku-en desu
12. Kocha o itsutsu soshite sandoitchi o gottsu kudosai
13. Hon-ya wa eki no mae soshite gakki ni tonari

14. Kinyoobi-watashi wa gogo shichi-ji ni kazoku de honba to ongaku o kikimasu
15. Doyoobi-watashi wa departo de nihon no kamera o kaimasu
16. Nichiyoobi-watashi wa gozen ku-ji ni tomodachi aimasu, soshite tenisu o shimasu
Trixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 09:14   Link #1677
bungmonkey

1. Good
2. "This person is me?" I suppose that is what you are trying to say, sounds a little weird but should be grammatically correct at least.
3. Good
4. KudAsai, otherwise good
5. Really not sure what you are trying to say here, sorry.

6. Good
7. Good
8. If you were trying to say you did not eat anything today change it to "nanimo tabemasendeshita".
9. Good
10. You don't need to use "ni" after "ima", good otherwise. Also having "ima" in at all here gives the impression (to me at least) that those things are there now but weren't previously.

11. Akai -> Akakute. To chain i-adjectives together you must do this. yonyaku en should be yonhyaku, probably just a typo though.
12. KudAsai again, rest should be good.
13. The only meanings of "gakki" I know are a school semester and a musical instrument, so that sounds a bit strange unless there's some meaning I don't know (and the dictionaries).

14. I had to look up "honba" but if you're meaning it as home change it to "kazoku no honba de"
15. Good
16. Tomodachi ni aimasu. I'd also change aimasu to atte and drop the soshite, but you might not have gotten to the te form yet.

Maybe I shouldn't be critiquing other people's sentences yet, but I did my best and don't think I spewed any false info.

Last edited by bungmonkey; 2008-08-12 at 09:35.
bungmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 09:28   Link #1678
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixxi View Post
1. Watashi wa igirisu-jin desu
2. Kochira wa watashi no desu
3. Kinoo wa suiyoobi deshita
4. Sono pen o san-bon kudosai
Excellent.

Quote:
5. Otokonko mittsu go imasu
If you mean "I have three sons", "(watashi ni wa) otoko-no-ko ga san-nin imasu" sounds better.mittsu-go means triplets.

Quote:
6. Senshuu tomodachi no uchi ni ikimashita
7. Teeburu no ue ni hon ga arimasu
No problem.

Quote:
8. Kyoo watashi wa nani o tabemasendeshita
nani mo tabe-masen-deshita
"mo" can be employed to emphasise nani (what) like "what-ever", and nani-mo together with a negative form means "not whatever".

Quote:
9. Kyoo watashi wa tomodachi to densha de London ni ikimasu
10. Ima ni terebi to teeburu to todana ga arimasu
Well done.

Quote:
11. Akai kuroi kutsu wa ichiman-gosen-yonyaku-en desu
12. Kocha o itsutsu soshite sandoitchi o gottsu kudosai
11 seems confusing. Which colour are the shoes, akai (red) or kuroi (black)?

12, replace gotsu with itsutsu, if you mean five cups of black tea and five sandwiches.

Quote:
13. Hon-ya wa eki no mae soshite gakki ni tonari
14. Kinyoobi-watashi wa gogo shichi-ji ni kazoku de honba to ongaku o kikimasu
15. Doyoobi-watashi wa departo de nihon no kamera o kaimasu
Good. except gakki (instrument) -> gakki-ten (instrument shop) / honba to -> honba no (genuine, real)

Quote:
16. Nichiyoobi-watashi wa gozen ku-ji ni tomodachi aimasu, soshite tenisu o shimasu
tomodachi ni aimasu.

Sorry, I did not notice bungmonkey had already answered.

Last edited by LiberLibri; 2008-08-12 at 10:37.
Old 2008-08-12, 09:36   Link #1679
bungmonkey

I did good enough!
bungmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 09:49   Link #1680
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Ok, I've done as much as I can - could anyone tell me if these sentances are grammatically correct?
I'll give it a shot...

1. Fine as-is. "I am an Englishman/woman.""
2. If you're trying to say "this is mine," you probably want "kore wa" to start off with... and of course, it's always good to actually name what it is if it hasn't yet been mentioned. Otherwise, "watashi no mono desu" strikes me as more natural.
3. "Yesterday was Wednesday." Just fine.
4. "kudasai". Otherwise fine: "Please give me three of that pen [over by you]."
5. Not quite sure what you're trying to say, but if you mean "There are three boys," that'd be "Otoko no ko san-nin ga imasu." (You can also put "ga" before "san-nin", but the nuance is slightly different. Best not to worry about it just yet.)

6. Almost... but "uchi" you generally use if it's your own place (the contraction "tomodachi n'chi" is an exception). Instead, I think "ie" (if it's a house), or "tokoro" ("place") works better.
7. That's fine.
8. For "I didn't eat anything", you need to say "nani mo tabemasen deshita". Otherwise fine.
9. Fine... though my first instinct says that "densha de" should go first in the list of modifiers. Perhaps a native speaker could clarify.
10. Good.

11. "yon-hyaku". Also, the beginning says "The red black shoes"... which is a tad odd. "Aka to kuro no kutsu" I think would make the point that the shoes are red and black, though color combinations are one of my weak points in the language.
12. Same thing about "kudasai" as before. Also, "gottsu" is Osaka dialect for something impressive or impressively large. Perhaps you meant "yottsu"...?
13. "de" works better than "soshite" in this case. Also, I think you mean "gakkou" ("school") and not "gakki" ("academic term" or "musical instrument").

14. I think you need to switch"to" and "de"... also, if you mean "home", use "ie" instead.
15. Don't try to go half-and-half with pronunciation of loanwords from English. Just use "depaato". (In any case, "depaato" is a naturalized Japanese word that's practically replaced the kanji equivalent of "hyakkaten", so just go with it.) Also, if the camera is made in Japan, you want "wasei" instead of simply "Nihon".
16. "...tomodachi to/ni atte, tenisu wo shimasu". The relationship between the two clauses makes sense as-is but it's more natural to link them by modifying the first verb. Also, "to" is generally more formal than "ni", though both are correct.

Granted, I'm not a native speaker, so if I'm wrong on anything (or if anyone can just explain better), please do.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by LiberLibri. And apparently I'm pickier than the native speaker.

Last edited by RandomGuy; 2008-08-12 at 09:59.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiragana