AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-30, 20:39   Link #1
Wavie
Freedom

Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie Send a message via Skype™ to Wavie
Top 5 anime of 2004...?

Hi all, normaly each year i wait until this month before getting more anime.

However I did not know about animesuki last year and might not need to look for an anime myself.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend an anime which was released in 2004 which is worth getting.

Best fighter type :

Best Sci-fi:

I just basicaly need a new series to watch but would like to know which anime titles are good from 2004.

I dont like ask for suggestions without making some and ill quickly recommend the best 5 anime ive ever seen

Naruto
Hunter X Hunter
Gundam SEED
Great Teacher Onizuka
One Piece

Also like

Stellvia
Onegai Twins
One Piece

Would also like to know if any anime out there is like space battles, where alliances are forged to fight against a powerful enemy of when Earth has to defend against a large invasion (maybe like macross, robotech or vandread even)

Is there any type of naruto, hunter x hunter or gundam seed type been released.

Is there any 2004 anime thats ment to be amazing that was released this year or even last year...?

Would appreciate if recommendations have descriptions as well but its up to u

Id usualy add please reply on a lot of forums but on this forum people are always happy to, so ill settle saying...

Thx for your nice replies in advance and dont forget to smile
Have a good day.
Old 2004-07-30, 21:17   Link #2
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
For 2004.....

Best Action

Full Metal Alchemist
Samurai Champloo
Samurai 7

Best Sci-Fi

I wouldn't know...
Old 2004-07-30, 21:47   Link #3
fantD
³²¹¿Ğeath[§]

Send a message via AIM to fantD
Samurai 7 is very good as with Samurai Champloo. They're not liscenced yet unlike FMA.
Old 2004-07-30, 22:44   Link #4
BTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavie
Hi all, normaly each year i wait until this month before getting more anime.

However I did not know about animesuki last year and might not need to look for an anime myself.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend an anime which was released in 2004 which is worth getting.

I just basicaly need a new series to watch but would like to know which anime titles are good from 2004.

Are you asking about something you can purchase, or looking for currently available fansubs? I haven't seen much of the fansubs post 2004 that were really all that fantastic. If you're asking about shows that are being sold and marketed this year, there's a good number to recommend/
Old 2004-07-31, 07:49   Link #5
Wavie
Freedom

Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie Send a message via Skype™ to Wavie
i guess if u dont know any of 2004 i wouldnt mind knowing about some thats from 2003 or even 2.

i just need a good anime to watch... ill definatly try fma and samurai

suppose u could say this then

2004:

2003:

2002:

its just i prefere to know year an anime was released as the animation has somehow managed to take a huge step up... amazing the stuff they can do..

was paticualry impressed with naruto and gundam seed graphics.
Old 2004-07-31, 08:07   Link #6
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
i guess if u dont know any of 2004 i wouldnt mind knowing about some thats from 2003 or even 2.

i just need a good anime to watch... ill definatly try fma and samurai

suppose u could say this then

2004:

2003:

2002:

its just i prefere to know year an anime was released as the animation has somehow managed to take a huge step up... amazing the stuff they can do..

was paticualry impressed with naruto and gundam seed graphics.
But are you looking for stuff to download or purchase?

FMA is licensed and the first DVD will be available in January of 2005
Gundam SEED is licensed and the first DVD will be available in less than two weeks.
Samurai Champloo is licensed, fantD, while Samurai 7 is not.
GTO is licensed, all of the DVDs are already available.
Stellvia is licenses, with DVD due soon (I'm not keeping track of this show)
Onegai Twins is licensed.
One Piece is licensed, no DVD in sight.

So since you are asking about all these shows that are available on DVD or licensed, I'm going to assume that you want to purchase

Gundam SEED is a safe bet--with each DVD releases containing 5 episodes each and a great show.
I personally suggest Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Vol. 1 now released by Bandai--It is simply stunning.
And if you haven't bought Evangelion yet, now's the time to do so because the latest of the EVA releases, the Platinum Edition has its Volume 01 out now. It featuress a full (not American studio remixed) Dolby Digital 5.1 Japanese track and if the Series Artbox is your thing, the box is beyond gorgeous.
Last Exile and R.O.D. the TV are also safe bets. They feature truly gorgeous and fluid animation and solid stories to back them up.

Good luck hunting
Old 2004-07-31, 09:38   Link #7
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Sampling of titles I enjoyed so far in 2004:

Midori no hibi [My girlfriend is my right hand]
Paranoia Agent [Wierd fun]
Shura no Toki [Mega brutal melee in real time]
Gravion Zwei [Old school robot bash]
Samurai7 [Solid storytelling here]
Samurai Champloo [Cowboy Bebop revisited in old Japan setting]
Jubei-chan 2nd season [Even more samurai parody]
Yugo [gripping political thriller]
Godannar 2nd season [Also old school robot bash]
Sensei no Ojikan [High school hijinks ala' Azumanga]
Monster [a serial killer loves me...]
Edit: Forgot the Mars Daybreak- Pirates galore and one hawt XO

Keroro Gunso [Parody, fanservice and female ninja- what can go wrong?] Save NO ONE IS BLOODY SUBBING IT NOW!!! T_T :fingers: [along with Sensei no Ojikan ] Any chance a group somewhere can get their hands off Kurau, Fafner, Naruto and Samurai7 to work on this little gem? - Must rant, feel better

Melody of Oblivion [Rice-Box has my love for working on this ]
Aoi Umi no Tristia [so much colour - and lollies ]

Stuff looking good:

DearS, Ninnin ga Shinobuden, Elfen Lied, Re: Cutie Honey, Girls Bravo, Kurau Phantom Memory and Fafner. And the Poirot/Ms. Marple anime adaptation.
Old 2004-07-31, 09:43   Link #8
7thMethuselah

Hmm a few excellent titles from 2004 are these

Aishiteru ze baby : It's different, it's cute and funny, serious at times, and especially a very calming anime. I like this shoujo slice-of-life anime alot.

Bakuretsu Tenshi : I love this show, great action, great animation and excellent characters. I usually stay away from anything with mechas but this one I like alot. Definatelly worth getting, it is licensed allready however.

Melody of Oblivion : A dark and mysterious anime, with often a weird and creepy animation, I love the mystery in it, the hidden symbolism, the rather negative view towards human future, etc... If you're looking for a different anime, this is the one to pick.

Madlax : If you like Noir, you will love this series as well. Each episode is unraveling more of the thruth behind everything that takes place, and each episode also creates more questions. Both main characters (the two girls) are very likeable (especially maragaret is one of a kind). I'd say no matter what genre's you prefer, try this one for sure.
¨
Samurai 7 : So far the best show for me this year, samurai action set in a scifi background, combined with awesome animation and a great story.

Samurai Champloo : A historical samurai anime, the contrast in it between the old-style samurai and the new-style samurai are great, and the girl is awesome . Something to check out for sure if you like historical settings.
Old 2004-07-31, 10:04   Link #9
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Bakuretsu Tenshi : I love this show, great action, great animation and excellent characters. I usually stay away from anything with mechas but this one I like alot. Definatelly worth getting, it is licensed allready however.
Not too sure about Baka-Ten [Baku-Ten]... It's first 13 episodes can best be described as a monster romp that pays homage to near every cult slasher movie in existance [has reference to Cannibal Holocaust, The Birds, Army of Darkness, ect]. And I'm not satisfied with all the wierd 3rd leg characters they've thrown in [that game maniac they keep showing for example], a terminally pointless male lead and how they keep wimping out one of the girls to the baddies [gets caught, beaten and put into wierd bondage at least once per ep].

Also have a bone to pick with its current direction, hasn't decided if it wants to be a mystery/horror, mecha bash or PI/mobster romp- and may be entirely too late
when it finally decides which way it want to go [like GadGuard last year]. Personally, it's animation and artsyle have been inconsistant over the last 5 episodes and that's not a good sign.

I will say that the character designs was very attractive- when they weren't in super deformed 40DD b00b mode for the girls. I didn't start out hating this show [still don't], it's just that it's current direction places it somewhere between just mediocre and total suck so it's IMO more wasted than bad

Just a personal caveat for the show, I'm sure ppl will have a negative view of stuff in my list as well
Old 2004-07-31, 10:05   Link #10
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

There are so many...

Currently finished 2004 anime :
Kite He ~Diamond Dust Drops~
Paranoia Agent
Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd GIG
Divergence Eve 2 Misake Chronicles
Yugo
Cosprayer/Smash Hit/LOVE LOVE!!!

Currently ongoing 2004 anime :
MONSTER
MADLAX
Melody of Oblivion
Baku Ten
Samurai Champloo
Tweeny Witches (Mahou Shoujo Tai Arisu)
KURAU Phantom Memory
Otogizoushi
Soukyuu no Fafner
Elfen Lied

2004 OVAs :
Interlude
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette

Currently not-yet-started 2004 anime :
Gankutsuou
Gundam SEED Destiny
Mai Hime
Beyond Cloud The Promised Place -The place promised in our early days-
Old 2004-07-31, 11:05   Link #11
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime
Any chance a group somewhere can get their hands off Kurau, Fafner, Naruto and Samurai7 to work on this little gem? - Must rant, feel better
Kurau is licensed... I think just after 1 or 2 episodes were subbed.
Old 2004-08-02, 14:57   Link #12
Trickle

As a couple of people have mentioned, 2004 hasnt finished yet.

So far, the only ones to have caught my attention are
PlanetES (AAA quality imho), Samurai Champloo and Bakuretsu Tenshi.

Melody of Oblivion, Full Metal Alchemist, MADLAX, Mars Daybreak, One Piece, Uninhabited Planet Survive

These being tad childish or just lacking something.

For some reason Monster didnt quite grip me. I may return to it. Area88 got licence this year before I got half way - again, it just didnt quite have that AA status let alone AAA class.
Old 2004-08-02, 20:11   Link #13
wnkryo
HainShodan

I like Tenjou Tenge alot right now. It's a good action comedy anime. I'm currently up to episode 13, and every thing is smooth.
Old 2004-08-02, 20:34   Link #14
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

You might wanna check out Bleach TV in October.
Old 2004-08-02, 20:54   Link #15
Entropy
Flame warrior

Just some Advice on Madlax,it takes a HELL of a long time to like.This is not an anime that you can pick up and watch for 2 or 3 episodes and decide whether you like it or not.The plot doesn't start picking up until at like episode 10,and right now after the latest ep(17) you'll still be going "wtf!?",because most of odd plot thingys haven't been figured out yet.Overall a very good show,but just be warned that it starts off meh at the first few episodes and than increases in quality from there.
Old 2004-08-02, 21:29   Link #16
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Would also like to know if any anime out there is like space battles, where alliances are forged to fight against a powerful enemy of when Earth has to defend against a large invasion.
You mean that came out this year? No. But there's always GunBuster, or Legend of Galactic Heroes.
Old 2004-08-02, 22:07   Link #17
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Probably Gravion Zwei- but that one is Super Robot Cheese and a sequel to boot.

Epic space opera hasn't shown up yet this year, though many are eagerly anticipating both the Gundam Seed and Stellvia sequels Maybe we'll get some here

Edit: Ya, I forgot Gainax was in the process of making the Gunbuster sequel as well.
Old 2004-08-02, 22:53   Link #18
Draikan7

Berserk
Hajime No Ippo
Yu Yu Hakusho

These are pretty old but I have the same taste as you so I am sure you will enjoy these 3.
Old 2004-08-03, 00:49   Link #19
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
OOOOH OOOOH you forgot AIR, AIR will kick ASS ^-^

2004 (that aired in 2004)
well iu cdan't say the year isn't over ^-^

but between now and maybe 2002 i would say:

Kanon
FMA
G-Seed
too many LOL

HOLY SHIT BLEACH????????????OMG I'm shaking from shock at the kick ass new stuff
Old 2004-08-09, 12:03   Link #20
Wavie
Freedom

hi all would like to say thx for replying i will certainly try some of those anime

already got up to ep 3 of samurari 7 thx to your recommendation and ill say i wasnt dissappointed.

dont have chance for a long reply i will make one later but i will be giving more than 1 anime a chance

thx again for your thoughtful replies
again chuft with the anime fans for their recommendations
Closed Thread