AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2004-09-09, 04:53   Link #21
Soulfang
ハロー!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
I am 30 hours in and there are no bugs.
There aren't really any serious bugs; all of the ones that are in the game that I've experienced have been already mentioned...

The original, however, experienced lots of crashing bugs, that's partly why the Director's Cut was released in the first place.
Old 2004-09-09, 22:26   Link #22
Iron Monkey

Well, I don't mind the loading time thing as long as it doesn't actually freeze and effect my game progress. I was just curious as to whether it was just me that had it, or if other people experienced it too, that's all.

But yeah, Grandia's battle system was actually real good too, very fast paced. Hoenstly, I think I had more fun with Star Ocean 2's battle engine then I do with Star Ocean 3's. Ah well, either way, it's still good.
Iron Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-09, 22:52   Link #23
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Monkey
Well, I don't mind the loading time thing as long as it doesn't actually freeze and effect my game progress. I was just curious as to whether it was just me that had it, or if other people experienced it too, that's all.

But yeah, Grandia's battle system was actually real good too, very fast paced. Hoenstly, I think I had more fun with Star Ocean 2's battle engine then I do with Star Ocean 3's. Ah well, either way, it's still good.
I really miss that 4th character from so2. Also the greater distinction between fighters and spellcasters gave greater varity to battles. Also I find myself constantly using special techniques when I don't want to in so3. It's really annoying when I'm trying to do fayt's long range charge to throw an enemy in the air, and activate his damn sword enchanment. Sure it's very useful, but it's twice as annoying when you don't want to use it.
Old 2004-09-17, 18:20   Link #24
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I just try it out today, wow they put alot of details into this game.

Any of you ever check out the dictionary section? Some of them are quite educative. Reading it I feel like studying physic and astronomy. Maybe way in the future, stuffs like quantum torpedo or space time Discontunuity effect become common knowledge for children.

And I love the Liberty statue in the opening. It's really grand. ^^
Old 2004-09-17, 22:02   Link #25
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I just try it out today, wow they put alot of details into this game.

Any of you ever check out the dictionary section? Some of them are quite educative. Reading it I feel like studying physic and astronomy. Maybe way in the future, stuffs like quantum torpedo or space time Discontunuity effect become common knowledge for children.

And I love the Liberty statue in the opening. It's really grand. ^^
heh I read the entire dictionary. About 25% of my play time is accounted for by that.

I'm so close to beating the game too. I finally got to the last boss, I thought he wouldn't be a problem since I was beating the enemies on the last stage without too much difficulty. Unfortunatly he killed me in his second form twice... Well I guess I'll have to level up some more...
I just wonder which endings I'll get. I've been trying for fayt-maria and cliff-nel, but I think I might get them reversed.
For those of you unfamiliar with star ocean, you can get multiple endings depending on how the characters' relationships develop through battles and private actions.
Old 2004-09-18, 01:28   Link #26
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I'm just starting out. Stil trying to get the hang the battle system, it kinda feel like Grandia, but it's more messy. ^^

When 2 people hitting the same target, the target got knock around and causing alot more misses than combos. It was much easier when I was going solo, I can do a 2 combo and follow with cancels and I can do the timing with anti aura attack better. I swear Cliff and Nel are so distracting. ^^;;
Old 2004-09-18, 01:47   Link #27
TrueKnight

Finished it, gave it a 10/10.

The gameplay is awesome, inventing items rocks, and the most important part, massive uber dungeons to explore if you had finished the game for the first time. The only thing that went down hill in this thing is...well.....imo....the story. Well....you'll see it eventually.

But the endings rock though, already got 4 out of 10 endings. =)
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 02:57   Link #28
Kouji
StrykerX

Quote:
I swear Cliff and Nel are so distracting. ^^;;
In that case you should control Cliff instead of him being the AI. Because they tend to hog the enemy more then you do. Though, on the other hand it'd be perfect to pull a high combo, with all the cancels in all. Though, this' assuming that they don't fall down first
Old 2004-09-18, 08:57   Link #29
Infi
Infinite One

Send a message via MSN to Infi
For Star Ocean I find Sophia so annoying, I trained her up to level 35 by controlling and she has her symbology, but when I use other characters she starts attacking physically and not with her symbology, when someone only has half life she doesnt even heal them even if i set it to heal party tactics dunno whats wrong with her.
Infi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-19, 00:13   Link #30
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infi
For Star Ocean I find Sophia so annoying, I trained her up to level 35 by controlling and she has her symbology, but when I use other characters she starts attacking physically and not with her symbology, when someone only has half life she doesnt even heal them even if i set it to heal party tactics dunno whats wrong with her.
I have the same problem with maria. The computer tries to play her as a melee character and she dies. I gave up and decided it was best to just control her, but then the comp started to try to play fayt as a support character.
Old 2004-09-19, 00:22   Link #31
Cort
What???

Send a message via ICQ to Cort
Anyone else think the combat AI took a big hit? No matter what, the person I'm not controlling runs off and gets killed doing something, and if I let go of Fayt....half the time he doesn't do anything even if he's set on balls to the wall attack.
Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-19, 04:16   Link #32
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I usually quite tolerant with the english dub voices in rpg games, but omg I cannot stand Farleen's voice (one of the two girls working for Nel). I don't know what's wrong with it but it sounds so unnatural. >_< And I swear that the same person who did the voice for the little girl from the backwater planet. ^^;;
Old 2004-09-19, 09:48   Link #33
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
I have the same problem with maria. The computer tries to play her as a melee character and she dies. I gave up and decided it was best to just control her, but then the comp started to try to play fayt as a support character.
Yea, Fayt's so friggin dumb for an AI. But Maria is quite useful if you equiped her with healing skills in later levels around 70-80ish.......okay not entirely useful, just semi-dumb. The AI in this game really stands for Artificial Incompetence.

Quote:
I cannot stand Farleen's voice (one of the two girls working for Nel). I don't know what's wrong with it but it sounds so unnatural.
Indeed. Her voice was like the pits. But strangely enough, those who understand Japanese and played the Japanese version, and then after that played the US version, said that Farleen's voice fits her character perfectly just like in the Japanese version. Her naiveness and dumbness.....so she was basically made to be annoying.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 15:59   Link #34
noir maou_sama

Overall, I liked Star Ocean 2 better. The cast of poeple to choose from was bigger. Item creation feels weird because you have to mess around with prices so much. I got into SO2's item creation much easier than this one. The AI is also horrible. I've had characters stand still and do nothing as multiple enemies attack me. They alway's stand still if an enemy gets paralyzed and is the last one left. It's like they can't tell the difference between the enemy being paralyzed and being dead. I find that I do very well when I'm alone in the battle arena, because I can worry only about myself. I also agree with the second part of the storyline being unsettling. Things were great until then, now I just want to end it all. I'm also sure that you can't pair up your other members, only Fayt and one of the other people(or have Fayt be alone).
Does anyone else block alot? You can block certain power moves of the enemy, the ones with the name at the top of the screen. Just stand still with 100% fury and you will reflect it(certain moves are set as strong so you can't block them, but many things, even things like fire breath, can be blocked.)
noir maou_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 16:26   Link #35
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir maou_sama
I'm also sure that you can't pair up your other members, only Fayt and one of the other people(or have Fayt be alone)
That sucks, and is a huge step back from so2 and it's 70+ possible endings... Oh well as long as I get fayt and maria I'll be happy, though there's also a good chance for fayt and nel.
Old 2004-09-20, 20:39   Link #36
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouji
In that case you should control Cliff instead of him being the AI. Because they tend to hog the enemy more then you do. Though, on the other hand it'd be perfect to pull a high combo, with all the cancels in all. Though, this' assuming that they don't fall down first
lol it's funny, with Fayt it feels like playing street fighter, toss the enemy to the air and then strong, weak, weak, cancel, cancel, cancel, cancel, ....

If I get lucky their furry got depleted and they won't be able to block the combos. ^^

Sometimes Nel will steal my target while stil in mid air and she start doing her own air combo. >_<

------
Edit: lol Clif just got his new skil Fist of Fury. omg it's so cheesy. I put it on strong and they cannot block it.

Last edited by Secca; 2004-09-21 at 21:09.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 00:33   Link #37
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Finally beat the game!!! One thing that's annoying me though, even though I tried to ruin any chance of fayt and sophia getting together, no matter what I do I can't get any other ending. I never used fayt and sophia in the same party, I picked 'you're an idiot' in that one private action in the castle, and I gave her 6 of those -1 emotion things. I guess I'll just have to pick up a strategy guide, cause I must be doing something wrong....
Old 2004-09-22, 04:35   Link #38
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

LOL, I just got this game last week and I've been playing the hell out of it. Most of the time, I'm just sitting down creating items. Love the faces they pull when they fail. One thing that really got me though is first learning about the MP deaths. Cliff died so many times that I was able to get the "incapacitated 200 times" trophy in the first disc! As for the battle system, I find it very fun. Very action oriented and not menu driven like most RPGs, but nowadays, it seems as if a lot of RPGs are moving forward in that direction. Yeah, it really reminded me a lot of Grandia, which I really enjoyed. What really ticks me off is when you're fighting two huge spider robots with the ever constant flow of missles... I just watch Cliff and Fayt each shit while Adray throws ice needles when I tell him to concentrate on healing/recovery. Bleh.

I think I should have got a strategy guide because I totally missed Roger and picked up Peppita instead of my high level Nel... stupid Peppita, I hate you, I want my sweet Nel back!

Another thing is that I can't get that freaking battle music out of my head. It's very catchy and makes me want to "Air Raid" the hell out of enemies. The music I really can't stand is when you're battling in the second disc against Sphere members or bosses in the Sphere company. Stupid techno rap is weak.

And yeah, the plot was, to say the least, surprising... it had a hint of "the Matrix" to it, but instead of "one" there's "three."

As for SO3 having the best battle system ever? No, I give that Chrono Trigger! But the system is very fun and exciting. None of the battles verge on boring, especially when you kill someone and they scream... "I HAAAAAAAAATE YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!"

The funny thing is, I remember making a Visual Basic RPG game back in high school (that was a while ago) that had a very similar battle system with a strong, weak attack and a "time bar" that decreased when you attacked. The crappy part about it was, not only did it suck (i.e. graphics, bugs, etc.), I combined the SF, FF7, and DBZ universes in them. Fun, but stupid. I guess SO3 is the vision of what I wanted my RPG to be. Thank you Sqeenix, thank you.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 16:48   Link #39
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah
LOL, I just got this game last week and I've been playing the hell out of it. Most of the time, I'm just sitting down creating items. Love the faces they pull when they fail. One thing that really got me though is first learning about the MP deaths. Cliff died so many times that I was able to get the "incapacitated 200 times" trophy in the first disc! As for the battle system, I find it very fun. Very action oriented and not menu driven like most RPGs, but nowadays, it seems as if a lot of RPGs are moving forward in that direction. Yeah, it really reminded me a lot of Grandia, which I really enjoyed. What really ticks me off is when you're fighting two huge spider robots with the ever constant flow of missles... I just watch Cliff and Fayt each shit while Adray throws ice needles when I tell him to concentrate on healing/recovery. Bleh.

I think I should have got a strategy guide because I totally missed Roger and picked up Peppita instead of my high level Nel... stupid Peppita, I hate you, I want my sweet Nel back!
I spent an hour last night making weapons for fayt, cliff, and maria better using synthsis.
As for mp deaths, what's up with that anyway? Is there even a point to having mp in this game? Specials use hp, magic uses mp, and losing either means death, so why have both?
Anyway, I have both nel and peppita. I thought nel was an automatic character. Since you have peppita, I'm assuming you're on disc 2 so this question shouldn't be a spoiler for you, but I'll put it in tags for other people.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-09-22, 17:35   Link #40
noir maou_sama

To answer Kamui's spoiler question...
Spoiler:

As for Sophia and Fayt ending up together, every(well, about 95%) private action in the game effects how the entire party feels about Fayt, even characters that aren't in your party. To give an example, if you choose to keep battling in the simulator on Hydra, not only will Sophia like you less, but other people such as Nel will too. Makes me wish I had looked at the book sooner, but I wanted to play without. I chose to kept battling and lost the third one, causing Nel to like me less by about 10 points. Geuss the people like to gossip and tell each other stuff. I still managed to get with her because I consulted the book afterward for private actions.

Curses...I'm in the Maze of Tribulations on level 4 and the game keeps freezing when the boss talks to me. It's probably because when the dog tipped the PS2 over when it was playing, causing the disc to become scratched. Even worst was that I had to fight these annoying light ball enemies to get to the boss twice. They emit shockwaves that cause a lot of HP and MP damage. The waves reach even my Maria who is at long range from them. Geuss I'll be stuck on the upper floors...

Last edited by noir maou_sama; 2004-09-22 at 17:49.
noir maou_sama is offline   Reply With Quote