AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2004-04-10, 21:41   Link #1
Jesushalero
Landmindmaster

Send a message via AIM to Jesushalero
Is One Piece for little kids?

From the description i read on AnimeNFO this anime seemed like it would be a base anime with not much substance. By no substance i mean that its just about people fighting and the episodes always end with the hero doing the same ultra powerful move. I dont want to invest my time in downloading an anime that I wont like, so I was wonder if someone could shed some light on this anime. I like Naruto, FMA, Berserk, Texhnolyze, Lain, Wolf's Rain, 100 Stories, Junni Kokii, etc..
Jesushalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 21:51   Link #2
OniBaku

actually it has WAY more than just guys doing the ultra special moves n stuff like dragonball or sumthin. 2/3 of the episodes arent fighting and they r funny/serious episodes. It's a REALLY good anime trust me. So you should get it.
OniBaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 21:52   Link #3
Unidentified

Out of those animes you listed. I would think the one's whose intended age group is Naruto, maybe slightly older or around the same age. And that fits the description of what you said it would be like than One Piece. The only anime I can think of that is like One Piece is Dragon Ball, adventure, fighting, story, and is original.
Unidentified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 21:57   Link #4
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Yes, the series is for the "little kids" that lives inside everyone. Those are some impressive list of anime you like. Suffice it to say every one of them are attractable for each of it's own "substance". One piece is just another series that has its own spark. Download a few episodes of the series and judge for yourself. Rest assured, no one will force you to watch it. Dont be put off by some review which in most cases, based on the reviewers likes and dislikes. Your likes and dislikes could be different from the reviewer.
Old 2004-04-10, 22:02   Link #5
|)arK_Nin
Oi Oi Luffy!

I would say that this is a more mature anime than Naruto. Every other anime that gets released weekly is just to fill in time while waiting for One Piece .
|)arK_Nin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 22:17   Link #6
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
Yes, the series is for the "little kids" that lives inside everyone. Those are some impressive list of anime you like. Suffice it to say every one of them are attractable for each of it's own "substance". One piece is just another series that has its own spark. Download a few episodes of the series and judge for yourself. Rest assured, no one will force you to watch it. Dont be put off by some review which in most cases, based on the reviewers likes and dislikes. Your likes and dislikes could be different from the reviewer.
Speaking words out of my mouth (in this case, typing words out of my fingers).

I think that One Piece is a lot better than Naruto. More mature? Maybe. Anyways, it's funnier and cooler, and much more original.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 22:44   Link #7
Maikeru
Fabulous Muscles

Send a message via AIM to Maikeru
One Piece is defiantely not for just children. Many adults and teenagers like it. Personally, it is one of best mangas I've read.
Maikeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 22:59   Link #8
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Speaking words out of my mouth (in this case, typing words out of my fingers).
Well, there you have it. If Vicious-san thinks so then there is no other alternative but to watch One Piece for any anime lovers. Now, let's see what other psychic power I'll have other then "speaking word out of someone's mouth" and "typing words stolen from vicious's finger". Nah, I think I will just stop. I am already impressed with my power. Fight the power?

One other reason for to watch One Piece is not to send Dythim to the unemployement line to pick up his miserly check.
Old 2004-04-10, 23:29   Link #9
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Yes, the series is for the "little kids" that lives inside everyone.
I disagree. One Piece, although has many inspirational goals by the main characters where kids can look up to, is not really for kids. It has more blood and action than most animes. Now there isn't a fight seen with blood and gore around every corner, you can definetely expect to see one when a fight seen does come by.

Another important note for you guys to remember; Animenfo shouldn't be your ultimate resource for anime reference.
Old 2004-04-11, 01:23   Link #10
Jn183

Quote:
One other reason for to watch One Piece is not to send Dythim to the unemployement line to pick up his miserly check.
So, yeah..plzzz...watch it to suppose dythim-san and the rest of k-f crew. One Piece has everything you look for in an anime. However, One Piece does not concentrate on relationship between 2 ppl which I think is a great thing. Unlike FMA, which suddenly trying to make a relation between Winly and Ed. Anyway, One Piece mainly just accomplishing your goal and while at it having a blast with friends.
Jn183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 02:20   Link #11
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
lol you bet it

Anyways, it's true, despite the blood and gore, that One Piece is actually aimed at the "teen" audience. The manga for 14-16 year old people, which's much more violent and "cruel" than the anime. Even though it's aimed at a younger audience, this doesn't mean it's "childish"- much of the contrary, One Piece is one of the most original and one of the best Shonen that was ever created. Without a doubt one of the funniest manga ever. Oda can mix perfectly three essential things to make a good shonen: humor, action and story. One Piece has a lot of funny and touching moments, action, and a fantastic story. Not every mangaka can mix these three elements perfectly. But it's obvious that One Piece isn't an adult manga/anime at all. The blood contained in all of One Piece is the blood contained in a single chapter of Berserk lol

Shoujo, Shonen, Gekija, Seinen. They're all classifications of manga that don't make any difference, after all. As long as the manga is good, that's enough
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 16:35   Link #12
frogzila
Running Cactus Man

Send a message via AIM to frogzila
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jn183
One Piece has everything you look for in an anime. However, One Piece does not concentrate on relationship between 2 ppl which I think is a great thing. Unlike FMA, which suddenly trying to make a relation between Winly and Ed.
Yeah, the relationships in One piece are hilarious and awesome. Each character has a distinct relationship with each one of the others. For example, Santi is madly in love with Nami and a rival with Zoro. He acts completely different with each of them, and makes for a very well rounded character.

Well, I'm going to disagree with what you said about FMA. From the flashbacks, we can tell that Winry and Ed are childhood friends. Not only that, there is one specific flashback I remember about Winry freaking out about Ed using alchemy. There is actually a lot there.
frogzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 18:32   Link #13
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Download a few episodes of the series and judge for yourself. Rest assured, no one will force you to watch it. Dont be put off by some review which in most cases, based on the reviewers likes and dislikes. Your likes and dislikes could be different from the reviewer.
When you do download a few episodes make sure Coby doesn't scare you. Some people stop watching because the beginning arc is not quite as good as the rest of the series. It just gets better and better as it progresses.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. I have saved this image into my "WTF directory" just in case I ever wonder if it was only been a bad dream, and have removed it from the forum. Hopefully Lexander will never do this again!
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 19:45   Link #14
Lunchboxx

Send a message via AIM to Lunchboxx Send a message via MSN to Lunchboxx Send a message via Yahoo to Lunchboxx
I don't know about in japan but in america One Piece would have far to much blood an violence to be a kids show, and the it has a really good story with really good characters that make it so little kids really wouldn't be able to apriciate how good it really is.
Old 2004-04-12, 00:10   Link #15
fujisawa
Reindeer King

Send a message via AIM to fujisawa
Bad thing is, if brought to america, most likely it will go through the good ol' american dumbification process to be a CASH_COW for little kids who only like the colors and dont actually understand the story. Like DBZ, or maybe it will be a DVD released show only and later picked up for broadcast and/or syndication so that wont disrupt its being uncut. Mainly i am hoping they dont bring either one piece or naruto to america and do its routine to it, some really good shows are hacked up into a blobby confusing mess, i.e. digimon adventure and digimon 02, sailor moon, but luckily some really good ones have been brought here without their loss of originality, Haibane Renmei, Mahou Tsukai Tai, Dirty Pair Flash, and many others, what do you think will happen when one piece is picked up for release and distribution in America?
fujisawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 00:56   Link #16
Lunchboxx

Send a message via AIM to Lunchboxx Send a message via MSN to Lunchboxx Send a message via Yahoo to Lunchboxx
It depends, The ones you listed that were picked up here and cut to hell were all on tv, and as far as I know the ones that wern't cut were not on tv, so lets hope one piece starts out just comin to dvd, and if any broadcast compainy picks it up lets hop that it or naruto will end up on Cartoon networks adult swim(I see this as very, very unlikley, maby for Naruto, but the look of One Piece is to "kiddy").

But mostlikely it will be on kids WB or FOXBOX, and all us american fans will grow to hate it for its populatiry among small children and the dub peice of crap it will become.
Old 2004-04-12, 01:21   Link #17
Ral
Idea!

As long as 4kids or Dic doesn't get OP, I'll be happy and look forward to the dub. I was excited when we thought that Funi had it. Once the dub is out and if it goes on t.v. it'll most likely go to Toonami or that new Meguzi. There's nothing really to adult about One Piece so I don't see it going to Adult Swim.
Ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 01:29   Link #18
fujisawa
Reindeer King

Stupid Question: What's Meguzi?
If naruto or one piece is picked up by 4kids or Dic, i will never watch TV again, (ok and overstatement) but seriously, if they do i will support a boycott!
Old 2004-04-12, 01:32   Link #19
mightyme

ok.. so ehre is a question kindof related to this... enough so that i didn;t want to make another thread...

anyways I am thinking of getting my nephews into anime... that is outside of yu gi oh and pokemon...

they are 8 and 6 respectively....

and I love one Piece so I have been goign over in my mind the age apropriateness of the series...

could this be somethign I can give to them?

I know there is soem death and violence and such... but it isn;t really graphic to my memmory, and they read harry potter which has all of that, and play zelda and metroid, and such.... (I gave them my old nes, and have been giving them games... I am kindof tryign to introduce them to stuff I like, to see if they like it)

their mother is real nervous and paranoid about stuff, but trusts my judgement, that I would only show them stuff that was apropriate....

for instance I play magic, and one of my nephews really wants to play.. but I feel itmay be a bit too mature for him right now, as well as difficult....

yet I have them playing games like Naruto 2, and smash bros (rated teen), which made their mom nervous at first, but I told her it wans't bad, and she felt betetr about it...

so here is the thing....

1. does the sub have excessive bad language?
2. does it have overly mature subject matter?
3. does it contain excessive violence?

relate all of these to 6-8 year olds...

and give your personal opinion....

I am kind of wish washy on it... I can't think of anythignt hat is too mature for them.... but soemtiems I just don't notice certain things because I am so accsutomed to them...

I know naruto is probably abit much.. and would be better for say 9 and 11, or even odler, and hunter x hutner is probably even odler than that....

last question.. if you do deem that one peice is too mature, do you have any other non trading card game inspired anime that WOULD be apropriate?
mightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 01:47   Link #20
fujisawa
Reindeer King

I noticed a lot of parents these days are kinda like that, they are clingy and worried for their children, try starting them out on something else first, maybe something along the line of Hamtaro , i am not saying hamtaro itself but something like it, just go to your local vidoe stor, (try a suncoast if possible) and ask them fo age-approrpiateness level, there is many good animes out there for the younger kids, my parents were the same way about things, but once i showed responsiblity for my actions they grew accustomed to me knowing what i should and should not watch. Also point this out to the kids mom, most anime is created with a soul intent to push a good reason, or something good a kid must adhere to in their culture, be it friendship respect, or something like that, i grew up with sailro moon and samurai pizza cats and graduated to Dirty Pair and other shows for older people, with the understanding of whats good and not.

Good luck! Hoep you find something for them! If u need anymore help feel free to ask! I run a club for anime and work at the children's department in the library nearby, i work with parents on this issue ALL the time!