AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-06-04, 22:55   Link #41
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synria_ View Post
How did you get your theory that the objective was to destroy both shinobi clans? Did you determine this from the anime or speculation based on cultural history? Not to trying say you are wrong... i'm just curious. (You make more sense than the stuff I have come up with)
From both anime and the movie. Also.. i read many chinese / japanese war / historical novels and this method was used a lot.
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-05, 00:01   Link #42
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
From both anime and the movie. Also.. i read many chinese / japanese war / historical novels and this method was used a lot.
Well if you got that notion from the anime, that is very interesting. I never got the slightest idea that the shogunate wanted to eliminate the two dangerous clans based off just watching the anime.
Old 2008-06-05, 16:40   Link #43
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I don't think the anime suggested that. The LA movie does though. The emperor explictly said that he considers both clans a threat.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-05, 18:09   Link #44
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
I don't think the anime suggested that. The LA movie does though. The emperor explictly said that he considers both clans a threat.
Although he didnt say it directly, it is the most logical theory. The facts were that something was needed to decide the next shogun and the threat those of those 2 clans uniting. The priest was the one that made the shogun understand this by suggesting the competition and after seen for themselves their inhuman abilities, he took the decision. There were 2 possible endings: they could refuse the shoguns order and being wiped out by the army or end up killing themselves.
And what Genosuke meant when he said that "things woudnt be the same if Kouga received the scroll first" was because now that one of the routes was chosen there was no way to go back.
The only way they could have avoided all this was if both clans were to go directly to the shogun.....
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 00:12   Link #45
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

They both would have gone to the shogun, and this is where I point out that Tenzen played a key role in making sure the battles and hatred continued... because of him wanting revenge and the possibility of him becoming a powerful leader.
Old 2010-11-03, 12:52   Link #46
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
MY REVIEW

Basilisk is yet another example of a death tournament where in the end there can be only one. Since the first version of this I watched in Highlander, the same problem occurs in all similar series I have seen since then. Why is there supposed to be only one live winner in the end? Why do you need to kill all others? Each version has its own excuse for the whole mess but almost every time it’s a piss poor reason. Death tournaments are always about forced drama around people who NEED to kill because if they don’t they will die themselves. It sounds ok at first but as I said the internal logic gets way off along the way. What if nobody wants to kill? What if they all team against the few that DO want to kill? By the end of it you feel more disappointed than entertained.

Let’s see this story. It’s about two groups of ninjas ordered to fight one another to the death. In the end there can be only one group remaining. Not just one person; one team. The reason is that the winning side will decide the next emperor of Japan. Well, they will not point their fingers at someone and yell “him”, it’s more like each of the two sons of the former emperor bets on a different team and the winner gets the throne. The ninjas themselves don’t give a damn about the reasons behind the order. They just obey commands and have the excuse to test their powers against their greatest rivals. Sounds ok so far.

So in order for this tournament to be interesting by default, the two groups need to be equal in strength. I mean, what’s the use of ordering such a thing if one group is just rookies and the other are elites, right? The two feudal lords that gave the order based the whole thing in that single notion. They even chose the best ten of each team in order to make it fairer. Well, I’m afraid the end result is nothing BUT equal as the Kouga faction could easily wipe out the Iga faction if the order was given to then from the start since the Iga had hidden it.

The problem here is not fair play. In the contrary, they are ninjas supposed to use any dirty trick imaginable in order to win. The problem is that both bragged to be better than the other yet in practice the Kouga are clearly superior. The reasons are clear.
Spoiler:

So there you go; the game was pretty much one-sided to begin with. Although that has nothing to do with the viewer watching the series, by the end of it most definitely will be dissatisfied with these facts. Because everyone pretty much dies a miserable death, making the whole mess not likable. And nobody said life is fair and everyone deserves a heroic death. It’s just that whole series is a monument of unfairness, based mostly on imbalanced power levels which eventually overshadow the anime’s attempt at drama.

The story is not bad only at its overall feeling. The pacing is also erratic as well. In the beginning we have 20 ninjas, most of which get killed in the first half. The second half leaves us with only a handful, making the plot feeling slow and uneventful. Plus, as I said the above two ninjas were doing all the work so the numbers didn’t even matter after awhile besides throwing down the action and your interest.

Even the ending is overall bad. I mean, come on, you could easily see it coming. If you knew from real-life history who the successor of the first Tokugawa is, you could tell the winner right away. And please, who else could be left for the end if not the above imba ones? And hell, how hard is it to see that monstrous characters are killed off first while more human-like ones survive to the end.

Which is another thing I didn’t like. Most ninjas look like circus freaks with all that deformities and mutations. These are supposed to be the result of their training but come on; it was making them look like cannon fodder mooks. And as I said, the more human-like in appearance survive to the end despite having equally or more powerful techniques so there is no excuse about their looks. It was making them plain stupid-looking.

What I have almost neglected to mention is the romance in the series. The leaders of both teams are in love with each other yet have to fight to the end. Why? Because they told them to. It is quite close to
Spoiler:

and it was supposed to overshadow the theme of war amongst the teams. But come on; it was hardly interesting. Was there the slightest chance they will fight each other? Especially when the girl can’t stare at a drop of blood without crying? I mean, if she was a powerful brutal fighter as well, ok, I would buy it. But as it was left to be I didn’t believe for a second they would cross swords.

Now the characters themselves are mostly ok. Very few are defined only by their signature move. Most get colorized even after their deaths through flashbacks. But in the end the series revolves around just 3, the main romantic couple and the imba immortal. Which effectively makes all the rest kind of useless in the long run since they all have the exact same goal and yet only these three are important enough story-wise.
And as I said numerous times, if the story was fairer, the Iga would have been wiped out in 3 episodes and the rest of the anime would be about the main couple running away from all this mess. By default that would make the story more interesting. Definitely better than the expected lukewarm ending we got in the end.

At least visually and acoustically the series is quite good. The characters have been given lots of attention, and the sceneries are magnificent to look at, while the music score draws you in the mood of the story with success. Most battles have nice choreography and strategy based on exploiting weaknesses. Unfortunately there are lots of imbalanced power levels and thus most duels were rather one-sided from the start.

In all, Basilisk is a nice anime to watch but unfortunately doesn’t use its elements very good to produce something extraordinary. As a similar story, I recommend the Battle Royale manga, which manages to create a far more exciting setting without the need of ninjas and corny romances.

Average: 6.5/10
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical