AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Old 2004-08-04, 08:36   Link #21
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
To explain, take this example. You are a bookstore manager in charge of new purchases (remember, the bookstores buy the manga from the publishers, then sell it to the consumer). You see that your sales on manga have been increasing, so you buy more varieties of it. You don\'t know anything about it, by the way, since you\'re nothing but a manager at Barnes and Noble who makes decisions based on numbers. Eventually, you stock just about everything that TP and Viz and Dark Horse and everyone else is releasing. Sadly for you, most of what they\'re releasing is pure and total shit that you bought simply because it\'s \'manga\'. Your customers will buy the first volume or 2 of these new breed of shit mangas from you, inflating your confidence in the series and publisher, pushing you to buy even more, then they will realize that the story sucks giant Rhino balls and they won\'t buy the 1500 copies you got in stock last week, leaving you in the red and pissy.
Quite similar to what\'s happening over here.

We have a couple of import stores now having manga as one of their major imports aside from regular American comics. Because affluence is relatively low here, people really look into their manga choices I think. The store owners/clerks say to me that extremely popular stuff like Fruits Basket, Love Hina and Azumanga Daioh get sold out easily. Everything else is rarely sold. Because of this, I see more and more unsold manga displayed in those shops.

They said I was probably the only one who completed the Kodocha manga (1-10 volumes)... and to think that title is supposed to be quite popular already...

On the local front, a very brave local company licensed Slam Dunk and is currently selling the manga, a first in our history. Slam Dunk is very popular over here, because Filipinos love basketball. I\'m guessing that manga is selling well too.
Old 2004-08-04, 13:41   Link #22
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
Companies license manga/anime based on how well they think they will sell. The actual quality of the manga/anime is mostly irrelevant to them.
That's too simplistic. It doesn't account for the glut of unknown (i.e. cheaply licensed) titles coming out. That's because making money on something is based on how much it costs to put out as well as how many get sold.

Media companies like publishers and record labels really only need a couple of huge sellers to carry everything else. Because of that, they certainly can and do make decisions based on quality and prestige.
Old 2004-08-04, 15:57   Link #23
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Actually that doesn't surprise me all that much, several manga have some form of nudity in them. I mean even Planetes has it, imagine that , well at least that was part of the story (sort of).
Or for example Ai Yori Aoshi, where suddenly out-of-nowhere a naked woman appears for no reason at all.
I wonder if the re-sellers who buy the manga even look thru it and realize that there is nudity in there. I bet $2,000 of monopoly money that some kid is going to pick up a manga and their outraged parent is going to slap down some million dollar lawsuit when they find out that there are boobies all over the place in there. Unfortunately, that seems to be the way America works. Overprotective and paranoid parents suck! :fingers:

Hero of Allacrost, a free 2D RPG in development.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 16:15   Link #24
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
That's too simplistic. It doesn't account for the glut of unknown (i.e. cheaply licensed) titles coming out. That's because making money on something is based on how much it costs to put out as well as how many get sold.

Media companies like publishers and record labels really only need a couple of huge sellers to carry everything else. Because of that, they certainly can and do make decisions based on quality and prestige.
i can guarantee you that most of the people at Viz/ADV/Tokyopop/Dark Horse/ComicsOne/whoever have never heard of half the good titles you refer to.
i agree, Monster should be licensed, it'd be a safe bet for Dark Horse (though they suck at advertising...) or Viz, but ADV might get it as well (if they get the anime, that is, which i highly doubt...)
Old 2004-08-06, 01:04   Link #25
slovadon
N00B?

Send a message via MSN to slovadon
Out dated?

I partialy agree that a lot of manga on the shelves is crap. I think Tokyo Pop made a smart move with the titles they've released. They deffinetly put out some crap but they put out some awesome ones too. Initial D, GTO, and Ragnarok were all huge. I think, for them, having those big titles puts a little more weight behind the cheap licences they pick up and put on the shelves. I gets kids thinking, "I haven't heard about it, but tokyo pop has some other good titles." I don't know, just a thought on their possible marketing strategy.
Old 2004-08-06, 04:13   Link #26
Ookla The Mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
places like TokyoPop and some others (more specifically ADV Manga) have begun simply buying licenses left and right for no-name worthless stories (come on... neither me nor any of the people I've talked to have ever heard of half of ADV's new manga line-up...) that will begin hitting English store shelves at the end of the year. Currently and in the past, the companies have provided the English audience with a kind of 'shit filter' by not releasing things that aren't worth buying, and now that concept is about to fly out the window and get sucked into a jet turbine. It won't hurt most of the fan's opinions of manga as a whole, but it'll be a set back for lots of companies. And all of these new people jumping in aren't slowing the process any.
Publishers print more copies of (and pay more for) series that are good, and print less copies of (and pay less for) series that are bad. This way they make similar profits on both kinds of series.

It's rather unrealistic to expect the US market to bring over only the really good stuff; if publishing companies thought that way, the companies in Japan would only sell the really good stuff. But publishing good stuff, mediocre stuff, and crappy stuff can all be profitable to one extent or another, so companies will do it.

As for why Monster hasn't been licensed, ask VIZ, not TOKYOPOP or ADV. Shogakukan and Shueisha have VIZ in their pocket (and the other way around). That makes it pretty difficult for other companies to license anything from them.

But anyway as for whether there's a glut coming, where the reason bookstores have lots of manga is because none of it is selling...I really don't know. I'd have to ask someone who managed a bookstore what their observations were.
Ookla The Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 21:11   Link #27
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
WEll i suppose it is ttrue that it is gettting popular but i've notice which book stores has the best selection.
#1. is Walden Books
#2. Books a Million (BAM)

I dont like any other then this beside the internet... i Hate waiting tho.. ^_^

My Favorite manga

Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 22:37   Link #28
ZhanDVG
Hail to the Sky~

The manga section in our local Borders is 16 times larger than it was 3 years ago.

Erm, nothing much to say on the quality of the title they're releasing, as I've only been able to buy titles I already have (I mean, I could buy more, but I don't have a lot of money, so I'd rather just stick to the series's I've got now).

Updated... eventually!
ZhanDVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 13:04   Link #29
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookla The Mok
As for why Monster hasn't been licensed, ask VIZ, not TOKYOPOP or ADV. Shogakukan and Shueisha have VIZ in their pocket (and the other way around). That makes it pretty difficult for other companies to license anything from them.
I can see Monster getting released in maybe 2 or 3 years. Its inevitable that the anime will be licensed because ALL new anime gets licensed now. Many US manga fans only care about or buy a manga because they liked the anime, even if the manga is nothing more than a crappy merchandising tie-in. Thankfully, Urasawa's manga isn't that shallow, so hopefully the anime will increase his fanbase and result in the manga being licesned.

Viz also seem just like the publisher that WOULD release something like Monster. Its more their style than Tokyopop's or anyone else's.

EDIT- But what I think has a tougher chance, is the classic manga, serious manga, or manga that is good but has no anime. These cateogries may overlap.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 12:16   Link #30
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
Just to add a new viepoint to the topic (France), I must say that here, manga is not really enjoying such a boom because it already happened about a year or two back (maybe even longer).
And as evrywhere else, this translated in, more manga shops, a bigger manga section in bookstores and an increase in the number of available series. However, I have a feeling that the situation has more or else stabalized and it has brung the manga selection to a level on par with what we have for european comics (a level that was never achieved by american comics....).
The truly new phenomenon that has appeareed in the last year or so though are manwa who where just not to be found two years back and now even have their own magazine.
As for the increase of available series, well, it did bring us a number of very crappy titles but it also provided the opporunity for many "small" and good series to be published even though they touch a smaller audiance than more classic manga. So all in all I'd say it's all good for us although it does mean you have to watch out on what you're buying. But, hell, we certainly got used to that with european comics so it's not such a big deal really, and the increased range of genre and styles available is well worth it in my opinion.
"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watch on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleeper, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."
G.R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire, A Game of Thrones.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 18:16   Link #31
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
manga is getting popular.
even with the outrageous prices.
i mean japanese versions are waaaay~ cheaper.
and there isnt that many series that i would watch in american manga.
and the release rate is sloooooooooooooow~
for instance, my friend is talking about Kuroneko arc in One piece, while im talking about the Water 7. its kinda frustrating.
and if i had bought one piece American version, i would have spent at least over 250 dollars. but i got it in korean version up to 33. costing about 140 dollars.
i mean thats a lot of difference. American manga companies are TOO greedy.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 19:03   Link #32
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
manga is getting popular.
even with the outrageous prices.
i mean japanese versions are waaaay~ cheaper.
and there isnt that many series that i would watch in american manga.
and the release rate is sloooooooooooooow~
for instance, my friend is talking about Kuroneko arc in One piece, while im talking about the Water 7. its kinda frustrating.
and if i had bought one piece American version, i would have spent at least over 250 dollars. but i got it in korean version up to 33. costing about 140 dollars.
i mean thats a lot of difference. American manga companies are TOO greedy.
Well you have to remember that US companies have to pay translators. Plus, even though manga is catching on, it's not printed on the same scale as it is in Japan. It costs more per copy to print 10,000 copies than it does to print 100,000. Thus you can sell each of the 100,000 copies for less money and still make a profit.
Old 2004-08-11, 08:33   Link #33
MiKeYzz

well i live in Holland and comics and mang's are sure hard 2 find here leave alone the european comics...
i must order my manga's off the net of a company in Belgium
THAT REALLY SUCKS!!
MiKeYzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 02:43   Link #34
mangafan

Talking manga is well known in France!!!!!!!!

when l was living there, we had a lot of manga as cartoon...and there is not a lot of rating on it!!!!!!!! like for Dragon Ball when he was little and he went swimming naked l saw here that they make him wear a short!!!!!!!!!! l know mangas from France...and there's stores that solde only mangas and there r a looooooot!!!!! in original version or translate in french!!!!!!!!!!
mangafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 16:28   Link #35
illuminatedwax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
I picked up a random manga from B&N the other day and started flipping thru it, and there was FULL FRONTAL NUDITY on several pages (boobs WITH nipples!). And I don't remember what the name of it was so don't ask me. I was mildly shocked at my discovery.
GASP!
Can you believe that there are people in other countries who wouldn't even raise an eyebrow at that sort of thing?

That sort of nudity (and first of all, it's not "full frontal," that implies the whole body shown from the front) is commonplace in manga. In Brazil that sort of thing is on television commercials. But as far as manga is concerned, not only is it in several manga aimed at older people (Saikano, Berserk, hell, I'd be surprised if any of those kinds of manga DIDN'T have nudity), but it's in several kids' manga, too, i.e., Pita Ten, Love Hina.

Really, the distinction is completely cultural and it's a fallacy to think of one culture as "stupid" or "ignorant" because of it. Every culture has its conservative areas and its contradictions. I personally don't understand why most people

Personally, I'm more surprised that 'consumer groups' haven't made a fuss yet. My advice? Get it while you can get it uncensored.

-iw
illuminatedwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 08:03   Link #36
Nezumi
Shinigami

Quote:
Is it just my imagination, or is manga really catching on in the US?

Well the US is kinda slow i must say, but atleast you have Dark Horse Manga translating all that good stuff for ya', like Ah! my godess, Trigun, Hellsing etc
Here in Sweden few even know what manga is and they think its all like Pokemon and Sailor Moon, damn bastards. But Manga/Anime popularity is increasing in Sweden, even thou its most little kids reading DB and One Piece and they dont even understand them corectly. But luckily enough a year ago the first Manga ever was translated into swedish, sadly enough it was Akira Toriyamas Dragonball whic i personally think is quite bad. Know when that one finished here, theyve started translating One Piece, and now anopther company has started translating Ranma .
So when i graduate im gonna open the first all-out manga/anime shop in sweden, and if im succesful im gonna start a company that will translate and release alota Manga nad anime into swedish. But thatl take a while

Whichever the way the wind blows,
whichever the way the world goes,
Is good enough for me!

Whichever the way the wind blows,
whichever the way the world goes,
Its all the same to me!
Nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 13:26   Link #37
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatedwax
GASP!
Can you believe that there are people in other countries who wouldn't even raise an eyebrow at that sort of thing?

That sort of nudity (and first of all, it's not "full frontal," that implies the whole body shown from the front) is commonplace in manga. In Brazil that sort of thing is on television commercials. But as far as manga is concerned, not only is it in several manga aimed at older people (Saikano, Berserk, hell, I'd be surprised if any of those kinds of manga DIDN'T have nudity), but it's in several kids' manga, too, i.e., Pita Ten, Love Hina.

Really, the distinction is completely cultural and it's a fallacy to think of one culture as "stupid" or "ignorant" because of it. Every culture has its conservative areas and its contradictions. I personally don't understand why most people

Personally, I'm more surprised that 'consumer groups' haven't made a fuss yet. My advice? Get it while you can get it uncensored.

-iw
It was full-frontal. There were nipples, pubic hairs, and everything. I know the difference. I am well aware that there are other cultures that are not concerned with nudity, but in the US it is completely opposite and that's where my shocked ( ) reaction came from, not from the fact that it is perfectly acceptable in other cultures. I am also surprised that there hasn't been any fuss yet, but I can see it happening any day now. I'd rather import my manga in the first place, because its always best in the original Japanese, even if I can't read 100% of it

Hero of Allacrost, a free 2D RPG in development.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 14:10   Link #38
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
...I am well aware that there are other cultures that are not concerned with nudity, but in the US it is completely opposite...
Nudity is not generally a big problem. America has had titles like Heavy Metal for years. The most that can be done about comics with nudity is to slap an age limit on it and hide it from the kiddies.

There was already a stink about that new Akamatsu title - all it really was about was shelf positioning and who would get their hands on it. They just shrink-wrapped it and now that's over.
Old 2004-08-14, 23:59   Link #39
jennwenn

I can't see any uproar over any manga title happening in the US. Nobody has said a thing about Battle Royale, ero manga titles are one of the oldest genres available, and publishers practice self-censorship if there is something that could cause problems. (For example, a cigarette edited out in Viz's Hikaru no Go which is aimed at younger readers.) Manga is age rated and/or shrink wrapped, what room is there to complain?

Anime and manga fans always seem to think some parent or religious nut is going to file a lawsuit against anime/manga for drawing the children towards sin or something. I can't remember a formal complaint making headlines EVER. It has NEVER HAPPENED and I don't see it ever happening because America is getting more liberal about those things. Thank goodness!
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 00:02   Link #40
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
ppfftt, you want full on nudity, AND porn start hardcore sex, then read battle royale. You'll get plenty of it. and the only thing the local borders can do about it is put plastic coting over it, which people just ri off anywas

you know mangas gotta be popular for them to start bringing hardcore titles like that over here