AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-07-24, 23:23   Link #1
PimpinAintEZ

Send a message via AIM to PimpinAintEZ
New Guitar.

can anyone help me choose a new guitar? i've saved up money now i need to get a new guitar...any suggestions?
not something like 900...i'm not that rich and not THAT good for a great guitar like that...something good...i saw a Epiphone Les Paul standard..that looked okay...
PimpinAintEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 02:51   Link #2
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpinAintEZ
can anyone help me choose a new guitar? i've saved up money now i need to get a new guitar...any suggestions?
not something like 900...i'm not that rich and not THAT good for a great guitar like that...something good...i saw a Epiphone Les Paul standard..that looked okay...
Perhaps this is not the best place to ask this question. Best asked other forums in other sites (eg, guitar.com), where there's more people who are knowledgable in guitars. But oh well, I'll try to answer your question anyway.

First thing's first. What style are you planning to play? Are looking for an electric or acoustic guitar? 6 String guitars? 7 String guitars? 12 String guitars? Sound (its quality, tone, and uniqueness) should be the dominant characteristic that you should look for, not just appearances. Its reliability (it's ability to withstand environmental and physical stress, and still sound good) should be highly considered as well.

I'm more familiar with acoustic guitars. For the most bang for your buck, look for Art & Lutherie Guitars, or Simon & Patrick Guitars. They're generally affordable ($200-$400 US), while producing quality guitars. Art & Lutherie has some colorful guitars such as its "Wild Cherry" models. But I'd personally go for Cedar & Spruce. Washburn guitars are nice too. But I'm recommending it with a bias though, mainly because I own a Washburn. I just love its warm and loud (never underpowered) sound. And it holds its tune and tone very well. Not to mention it's damn sexy...anyways...If you got big money to bust, I wholeheartedly recommend Taylor's Leo Kottke Signature Series, 6 or 12 String version. They're around $2500 US. But these guitars rumble and growl, sure to impress.

Electric guitars, I'm still a newbie. I own a horrible Vantage electric guitar that's never in tune. I know that Gibson and Fenders generally make good electrics, but they're good electrics are quite expensive though.

Check out Harmony Central for reviews of guitars of ALL kinds, from people who actually bought and played the guitars.

Then there are guitar accessories (fingerpicks and thumbpicks, amps, capos...etc)...but that's another topic.

But the best tip I can give you is, ALWAYS PLAY the guitars you are interested in before you buy it. Make absolutely sure the guitar is to your likeling. It is common to play 20+, even sometimes 100+ different guitars in many different music stores before you find one that you'll love. Play as many different guitars as you can, even the ones I didn't mention, because you might fall in love in any guitar. But hey, you gotta love your guitar, otherwise, you won't play your guitar often, and that'll be money wasted.

I hope this helped you.

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2004-07-25 at 03:05. Reason: It's 1 AM when I typed this, I made a few mistakes...so sleepy...
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 13:49   Link #3
llama

Send a message via AIM to llama
Just go to a music store and find the guitar you like best, and then use my advice for everything: Check ebay before you buy it! You might be able to find the same thing there for much cheaper. Although make sure the person you buy from is trustworthy.
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 18:13   Link #4
FearTheMullet

Never buy a guitar off ebay, theres so many people running scam rings. YOu send the money for what you think is a steal of a deal and get screwed cause they ahve your cash and you dont get a guitar. Anyway I recomend checking out Ibanez, I play Ibanez RG guitaris, with a Floyd Rose Floating Tremolo. Great guitar, it has a fast (Wizard) neck, great pickups (V7-Humbucker-neck-, S1-Single Coil-middle-, V8-Humbucker-bridge). Its a great guitar for anything, I mostly play melodic metal in my band, but at home I play stuff from Polish folk to Marty Friedman (not the stuff he did with that Jpop chick, Aikawa Nanase? I think it was her, although i dont mind it) I play his solo stuff alot and his megadeth stuff alot. I also play alot of Joe Satriani. Ibanez is a versatile guitar, its not just for those poser nu-metall groups who tihnk they're cool for playing Ibanez.
FearTheMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 09:42   Link #5
puzk
I'm still a Junior Member

Hi,
I don't know if this is helpful but you should go for an acoustic guitar unless you are practicing with fellow band-mates, or a drum machine. Electric guitar isn't fun unless you are playing along with something.

A Les Paul Gibson copy guitar will give you a dull distortion tone aka classical "rorty" distortion you hear in some anime opening and closings. Similar guitars are Fender Telecaster's, and most gibsons/epiphones.

A fender strat copy guitar will give you very much "pop" distortion tone you hear in Jpop and Kpop music. An Ibanez guitar will achieve similar results.

An acoustic is best if it's a solid top, even better with solid back and sides. More money = better tone.

Anyway, good luck with it. What music are you trying to play?
puzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 13:08   Link #6
PimpinAintEZ

Send a message via AIM to PimpinAintEZ
i already have a nice acustic guitar..epiphone..
i need a new electrical guitar...the one i have is really bad...i've used it for a long time...so i think its time for me to move on to a new guitar...i don't like going to a guitar store and asking one there...they either try and give me the "best" one they have and i go to another store and see a better guitar for same price..i hate that..i'm just gonna look for a good guitar... and just choose that one and go to a store and just buy that one...

Quote:
Anyway, good luck with it. What music are you trying to play?
trying to play like heavy metal stuff...metallica, led zep..(try)... my frist guitar was a fender squire, as a gift for playing first time, and now have a fender stratocaster..i have really sucky guitars...i wanna get a new one...and try to get away from fenders..starting to hate them...
played with the Epiphone SG..that sounded nice...
PimpinAintEZ is offline   Reply With Quote