AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2004-08-05, 23:44   Link #21
monir
cho~ kakkoii

hehe.. Didn't I tell you I wasn't looking forward to this one? Now how about lending me the game? I live about few hundred miles south of you and I promise to throw it out after finishing it. Half Life 2. Now that is a game worth the anticipation and the mind numbing wait.
Old 2004-08-05, 23:55   Link #22
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
hehe.. Didn't I tell you I wasn't looking forward to this one? Now how about lending me the game? I live about few hundred miles south of you and I promise to throw it out after finishing it. Half Life 2. Now that is a game worth the anticipation and the mind numbing wait.
Don't fool yourself monir, we all know in the back of our minds that Half-Life 2 will never come out officially.

A few weeks before release they'll have another "hacker" come by and raid their systems and magically, that would be their master database! It would of course take another year then to make up for the time they've lost.

I say we wait for Extremely Maximum Payne VI. Sequel to Maxxxxx Payne V(which should come out late 2014).

In Remembrance - Founder of Sladism / Slade's Photobucket
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 00:21   Link #23
Avacado Burger
Senpai, we musn't!!!

I was the bomb at DOOM II... Until they added the 3rd dimension in Quake X_x

Anyhoo, I'm a little hesitant to go buy the game, mostly due to system requirements, and the fact that it's nothing new in terms of gameplay.
Pretty graphics are one thing, but you can only look at them for so long. Gameplay is the core of it all.
Old 2004-08-06, 00:46   Link #24
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
I like how links in the emails of the pda's you find lead to real life websites. Was cool having to go to www.martianbuddy.com to get the code to open the locker to get the chaingun. Was playing Painkiller and System Shock 2 like the week before getting Doom 3, thought System Shock 2 was just as freaky as Doom 3 and it doesn't have to rely on constant darkness. The satisfaction from killing in Doom 3 doesn't even compare to killing in Painkiller. Still a pretty good game overall though.

By the way, I have a problem in the game where the audio just completely stops and I have to quit the game and load it up again to get the sound working. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Shun me, for I am frumious!

Last edited by Bandersnatch; 2004-08-06 at 01:06.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 00:48   Link #25
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

This game is so tight. If you have a problem with the linear action thats your own fault. It was already said it was going to be linear and small room to room action. The I actually heard someone complain cause they said it was to slow and you had to creep around. The fact you have to walk so they don't hear you and check the room with your flashlight before entering makes it so much better. I've jumped so many times from thinking no one as there and bringing up my flashlight to have a zombie in my face its rediculous. The multiplayer is fun as hell also. I find the 1v1 matches better but 10 player deathmatch was nice and smooth setting down the quality to medium with everything off getting a nice solid 60fps in gun fire 1900fps at its highest, honestly.

Specs: 3ghz cpu, 9800xt and 2 gigs of ram does wonders.

I've also made a tutorial at doomforums.com for the level editor but remember its very basic and how to get started. I'll be doing a more advanced one as time goes by. Next one is adding doors and elevators, point lighting and switches if I can figure it out.
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 01:00   Link #26
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

I finally bought Doom 3 at Futureshop. I visited Futureshop at 1:00 PM, only to find Doom 3 wasn't stocked yet. I went back at around 6:00 PM, and finally it was there. I spent $80 (Canadian $) on the game. Ouch...lightened my wallet quite a bit. But the good news is that I got a copy of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (a fantastic game, $30 if purchased individually) came free with the purchase.

Anyways, I've been play the game for about an hour and half, and I must say I'm quite satisfied with the game. It's got great atmosphere and graphics, so it's not just shooting mindless enemies. Even if it is, I'm one of those guys that enjoyed all of the Serious Sam games. It's dark and dank mood and sound really immerses you in the world. Play it like it was meant to be played. The game's really stretching the limits of my computer (at its lowest setting!). FPS fluctuates from single digits to 60 frames per second (which it seems to be capped at). I can understand why, it's due to my generations old ATI Radeon 8500 (64 MB) card. Check my public profile for my comp specs. I've encountered no bugs yet, just some stuttering, and that's understandable. All the more reason to upgrade...warning don't try the CO-OP mod yet.

Shinku, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul...
I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Shinku.

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2004-08-06 at 01:21. Reason: Added some stuff...
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 01:19   Link #27
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Hmmm, the guy that makes the Ctrl+Alt+Delete comic posted a link to a forum where someone wrote how to tweak the performance. Works for him, he says.
Old 2004-08-06, 01:28   Link #28
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by [A-Flux]Kiva128
I was disappointed. The game is just so bland in terms of gameplay. All you do is shoot mindlessly at demons for 15 hours. Or find a pda, thats about it...
So what makes Medal of Honor or The Castle of Wolftain a better game than Doom3 in terms of shooting mindlessly?

So am I able to play with an Athlon XP 1800 (1.5GHZ), 512 ram 400mhz, Geforce FX 5900XT?

Thanks.

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2004-08-06 at 01:41.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 02:59   Link #29
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Don't fool yourself monir, we all know in the back of our minds that Half-Life 2 will never come out officially.
A few weeks before release they'll have another "hacker" come by and raid their systems and magically, that would be their master database! It would of course take another year then to make up for the time they've lost.
Dude, Slade, Valve promised us it'll be out by Summer 2005 (which is Summer 2005, Valve years -- meaning Summer 3005 Human years.) And as for the hackers, it's just prolly a ploy to buy themselves more time since they're not done yet, blah.

As for Doom 3, it looks interesting since I haven't seen any good games since WC3(TFT) and CS1.6... I just don't know if the multiplayer will be good enough, since I'm not a fan of Deathmatch. If there's any good objective-based teamplay or solid Co-Op, let me know. I'll jump on it right away.
Old 2004-08-06, 05:10   Link #30
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
So what makes Medal of Honor or The Castle of Wolftain a better game than Doom3 in terms of shooting mindlessly?
Nothing. But Return to Castle Wolfenstein (I think that's the game you meant...lol) and Medal of Honor were pretty mindless shooters as well.

Games like 'Deus Ex', 'No One Lives Forever 2' and 'System Shock 2' (of which Doom 3 'borrowed' a lot of elements) have a lot more depth. Now I know Doom 3 was only meant to be a arcade shooter, but I personally enjoyed Far Cry better...and that was a pretty standard shooter as well.

Doom 3 is still a good game though, but IMO doesn't completely live up to the hype.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 06:14   Link #31
Hisoka2k4

Nice game, good graphics and very creepy ^^

Downside is that it doesnt have much variation.. running through dark and creepy halls searching for a PDA go through door, search next PDA so you can go to exit and move on to the next lvl..

Repeat this till you finished all 26 lvl's.. only the hell lvl's put in some variation, but thats like 1/2 lvl's..

Nice for once, but boring the 2nd time you play it.. IMO =^.^=
Hisoka2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 09:53   Link #32
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Hmm, so no replay fun value eh?

Just like what Firingsquad's Jakob said.

Though I do not agree with FS's ratings, their comments do tell what the game consists of...
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 12:39   Link #33
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
I still need to buy the game. I'm just to lazy to hop over to the store...
Old 2004-08-06, 13:34   Link #34
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
Nothing. But Return to Castle Wolfenstein (I think that's the game you meant...lol) and Medal of Honor were pretty mindless shooters as well.

Games like 'Deus Ex', 'No One Lives Forever 2' and 'System Shock 2' (of which Doom 3 'borrowed' a lot of elements) have a lot more depth. Now I know Doom 3 was only meant to be a arcade shooter, but I personally enjoyed Far Cry better...and that was a pretty standard shooter as well.

Doom 3 is still a good game though, but IMO doesn't completely live up to the hype.
OMG System Shock 2 is one of the best FPS ever created, in fact it is the best FPS game out there followed by half life... If you don't agree with me, you can burn in hell
Old 2004-08-06, 13:41   Link #35
HopelessLover

I just finished downloading it, and the graphics look great! I don't know if it matters that I have ati 9800xt or not or if that's just how the game graphics looks like, but it's really awsome. Other than that, the game is pretty average--not TOOO much fun factor.
Old 2004-08-07, 02:11   Link #36
Cichlisuite

Send a message via ICQ to Cichlisuite Send a message via AIM to Cichlisuite
Its suppost to be average, its Doom for crying out loud. I pretty much knew this when i got it.
So far iam rather pleased with this game, the graphics are awesome and its cool to run around shooting shit without a care in the world ^_^
Cichlisuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 07:50   Link #37
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Hmm, so no replay fun value eh?

Just like what Firingsquad's Jakob said.

Though I do not agree with FS's ratings, their comments do tell what the game consists of...
Well I'm finished with the game, well I finished it the day it came out . After playing Doom3 there is really no replay value and over the levels you see through the daemons weakness and you'll find out ho to kill stuff quicker. It realy makes yoiu feel like a combat veteran. Daemon spawns, wait till spawn animation finishes, one well placed shot with the shotgun = dead daemon. The counters to all the daemons are apparent once you reach the alpha labs.

All in all the game is great the first time around but for me there is no replay value, but if you are into multi then its worth playing to some extent. With limited multiplayer maps the game starts to lose it playability.

Some can say Doom3 is like an overrated anime that lends it popularity from the pervious games and some say its a great game. That is up to you to decide as for my verdict, itís a good game for a blast and has a loose storyline to play with. But you'll feel like watching Gundam Wing where you a superman just killing anything in the way without real caring about anything else except the next health pack and exit.

If you do buy doom its to relive an adventure that started years ago and thatís about it.

What is lost can be found. As long as you try your best to find it..
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 10:20   Link #38
Kiro
chocolate overdose

i am pleased with doom3. i have a 1GHz ahlons with 512 megs ram and a gforce2 (64mb) so i didn't even met the minimum requirements. but with a little tweaking it runs ok. (no, i'm not a masochist. it was rally playable. more than two enemies can become a problem though. but you just have to be good at guessing where the enemy might be when the framerates goes down to like 2 frames per second or was it 2 seconds per frame?. ) most of the time the game runs semi-smoothly.

unfortunatly, i am now at a point (in hell, guardian-boss) where the light effects are to much vor my old machine and i have to email my savegame to a friend with a better machine to play from there. normally it wouldn't be very hard to just give that boss some rocket rounds to the head, even with 1fps, problem though is, that he's only vulnerable, when you shoot something else before that and i can't get the timing right with such a low framerate...

as for being repetetive. i think, i got that feeling in the delta-labs. yes, it was't very different from "get the blue key" or "you need the red key", but still it was really really fun to play.

calling doom3 too linear is a little bit unfair imho. if you watch a movie, all you can do, is watch it. that's linear too but you can still enjoy it. doom3 is like a horrormovie that you play (and yes, sometimes you really have to think a little. it's not THAT easy.) and it was very successfull at that for me. many shockeffects and the atmosphere is just great. who doesn't freak out, when he's going through an allready dark corridor and suddenly the lights go out and you see NOTHING and you hear some really evil laughter just to get smacked around by a monster that appeared behind you? also the hell level is just disturbing. this game can really mess with your mind. even more so if you play this game alone and when it's dark outside.

about the pads: i think, those are cool. you don't need most of them to get through the game but they're telling a story in the story. while you are experiencing the horror right now, you slowly get to understand through the pads, how it all begins, how the employees felt and you get insight in their private lives, which makes it even a little sad. (for example one email is about how some worker gets to leave mars soon and getting to meet his family again. but that obviously didn't happen, since you just picked up his pad next to his corpse)

i think, they stole that element from the capcom game "resident evil". in resident evil (and all the sequels and also onimusha) you would find a lot of documents that told you a story but wouldn't help you getting through the game. those really improved the game imho, as the pads improve doom3. (especially the audiologs)

i really liked, the flashlight in doom3. they purposly made it so that you can't use the flashlight and a weapon at the same time, which made some passages even the more frightening. i still made heavy use of the flashlight, since they made it easy to use.

overall it's a nice singleplayer experience imo. also, i wouldn't worry too much about the multiplayer modus. yes, there's currently only 6 (?) maps, but that number will increase, since there will be a lot people, trying their hands at creating multiplayer maps for d3 and we'll see some great maps. also i can imagine that there will be people, who will "remake" old maps from Q1/2/3 and doom1/2.
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 15:57   Link #39
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Here is what I think.

I'm playing the game it I'm trilled with its atmosphere. The graphics are awesome. But the best part of it is its horror. The game is so horrifying that you have to watch your steps before you move somewhere, and you have to make sure that you use that flashlight at all times or you'll regret it

The new thing about this game in terms of game play is that you have to switch back and forth between your flashlight and your current weapon. The game is too dark, and the monsters always spam in the dark areas. There are times in which you cannot see anything except for the light from your flash light, and guess what... get ready for an attack

Boy the game is creepy as hell, it reminds me a lot of system shock 2. Specially the audio logs and the voices in the dark. But I believe that this game is much creepier; Its amazing graphics give the game a touch of reality, and when you combine realistic graphics with monsters nothing good can come out of it. The sound is also excellent, There are parts in which you hear voices calling you out of nowhere @_@ OH boy I remember a part in which I was in very dark hall and I heard the voice of a woman: "Psss Over here" "Follow me", I was about to piss pants but I had follow the voice.... "Come on hurry up" "Come here", the hall was getting and darker as I processed, and then when I reach the end of the hall... The voice told me "you are fool aren't you" and oh omg I heard a baby crying!!!! @_@ and the baby laughed @_@ next thing I know I pressed "shift" and ran like hell...

Well as you can see this game is keeping me very entertained And the fact that its has astonishing graphics and its constant darkness makes it a game out of the common

Guys come on tell us your frightening experiences while playing this game, I would love to read them
Old 2004-08-07, 16:03   Link #40
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK anime seeker
The counters to all the daemons are apparent once you reach the alpha labs.
Really? I'm at the entrance of the Alpha Labs and the only monsters that were introduced are Zombies (Marines and Civilians) and Imps. How is it possible to learn all counters to all of the demons with 3 monsters introduced only?

As for the game: It's freaking me out. The shock moments are well placed and are all working (on me, that is ). Scaaaary game! I can't say anything about the game being linear since I'm busy enough to keep myself from getting ambushed in those awful lighted hall ways

Might as well add my system specs:

Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2GHz
Radeon 9600 SE 128MB
512 DDR RAM @ 266MHz
Catalyst Drivers version 4.9 (the beta ones)

I'm running the game at 640x480 pixels with medium quality level and it's running smooth regardless of the amount of monsters on the screen.

PS: The main villain (as it seems) is called Betruger which is also a German word for ????. Coincidence? I don't think so

PPS: Anyone else thinks that
Spoiler:

Ok, let's get back to the game... What is this? Waaaaaaaaah! An imp behind me!!
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote