AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2004-08-07, 17:00   Link #41
Cichlisuite

Send a message via ICQ to Cichlisuite Send a message via AIM to Cichlisuite
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
As for the game: It's freaking me out. The shock moments are well placed and are all working (on me, that is ). Scaaaary game! I can't say anything about the game being linear since I'm busy enough to keep myself from getting ambushed in those awful lighted hall ways
I wouldnt say its THAT scary, once you get used to the ambushes you are pretty much prepared for whatever gets thrown at you.
The game at times can get down right annoying, in almost every room you go in your ALWAYS ambushed by a imp or something stupid. The pain for me now is that iam at the point that everytime i turn around iam ambushed by relevants and more imps!
Cichlisuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 17:22   Link #42
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I just reached a part in which there is huge room stained in blood, and there is something really big banning behind the door (a metal door) make a very disturbing noice.... and when you get close to it the door it is blown away and a huge "snake" with a human face come out! Then you hear some satanic voices when it disappears... man I'm all freacked out now

Come on guys tell me about your creepy moments in the game...
Old 2004-08-07, 17:50   Link #43
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Scary moments? Too many to list. I'll just name one. It was that time I just obtained a helmet-like item that looked like a skull, with red lights swirling around it. Then all of a sudden the screen blurs, and loud demonic noises echoes in the speakers. Then I am swarmed with tons of zombies. But I realized I was invulnerable, and one punch from my fists immediately gibs a zombie, and fear turned into glee. It was like in Doom 2 where you got an adrenaline pack, but with invulnerability.

Spoiler for future happenings:

And Cichlisuite is right, when you hear monsters spawning, 80% time it's behind you. After a few scares, I'm no longer vulnerable to behind the back "scare" attacks. I learned to just look back to check if there's some monsters behind, and just fire some buckshot if they're there.

I'm a bit disappointed there aren't secondary firing modes for the weapons. I guess they're following the tradition of Doom 2 weapons, where they only have single shot modes.

I tried the tweak that AG3 pointed out, but it had no effect on my game. FPS remained low, and stuttery. I know it works for some other people, but for those that wants to try another tweak, try this one I found in gonegold forums. Worked wonders for me, as my game never stutters in the single digits FPS anymore. Lowest FPS I got after the tweak was 20, most of the time is 40-60FPS. I haven't try the new ATI drivers developed just for Doom 3, because it's beta. I don't want to risk messing up my system stability as it did to some people. I'll wait until the drivers are officially done.

Shinku, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul...
I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Shinku.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 17:58   Link #44
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
I haven't try the new ATI drivers developed just for Doom 3, because it's beta. I don't want to risk messing up my system stability as it did to some people. I'll wait until the drivers are officially done.
Really? I'm using the beta drivers now and no crash since 5 hours (I installed them 5 hours ago). According to Murphy's Law my PC has to crash NOW since I am writing that but that's ridi
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 19:57   Link #45
Ending

Quote:
when you hear monsters spawning, 80% time it's behind you
So Doom 3 uses similar monster spawning as System Shock 2? Frankly, this was the biggest turn-off in SS2, and if D3 uses the same... Nothing like clearing a room to secure your back, then getting it ruined only because the game-makers thought it is strictly no-no and spawning it back to full without any apparent reason -or way to deal with it.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 20:16   Link #46
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
So Doom 3 uses similar monster spawning as System Shock 2? Frankly, this was the biggest turn-off in SS2, and if D3 uses the same... Nothing like clearing a room to secure your back, then getting it ruined only because the game-makers thought it is strictly no-no and spawning it back to full without any apparent reason -or way to deal with it.
doom3 is all like that. I guess they decided to stick to the lame 1990's method of spawning demons. It doesn't matter how many times you clean a room it can still spawn demons. The levels are also full of cheap tricks like monsters coming out of closets the moment you grab that juicy armor lying there and so on.

Some parts of the game are seriously scary, I remember I entered a room and in the corner there was a dark path lined with red lights. I knew there were monsters there, I knew it was only a game yet I didn't want to go there. As as walked through the long corridor nothing happened, left turn, long walk, right turn long walk.. nothing. THen I reached the end, picked up some armor and decided to head back thinking it was a fake.. big surprise. panels start openning and here they come..
Old 2004-08-07, 21:51   Link #47
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
panels start openning and here they come..
You sound quite happy
Old 2004-08-07, 21:58   Link #48
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Hope you guys are playing this game with 5.1 Surround Sound. Those whispers sound muchhhhhh more freaky on it since it echos through your head from side to side and along with surround you can tell where the enemies are exactly spawning by just listening to sounds.

I think the enemy I hate the most so far are those Shield-Marines although it seems just tossing a grenade right at them seems to do the job fairly well. I just finished the communication room. I don't play more than 1 hour or so at a time, don't want to tire myself out on the gameplay .

Overall I like the game but it's still one under System Shock 2 in my book.

In Remembrance - Founder of Sladism / Slade's Photobucket
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 22:34   Link #49
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Spoiler for I'm Pissed:

I'm not lucky enough to have 5.1 surround sound speakers. I need to save up for a Klipsch 5.1, or a Logitech 5.1 (any other recommendations?). But the priority now is a new graphics card . I'm gonna stick to ATI.

The most annoying enemies would be those baby-leapers and spiders. They come in swarms, usually in close quarters, so rocket/grenades damage me more than it does to them.

I've been playing the whole day (about 8 hours in total) . And my eyes needs a rest...which is why I'm going to see the fireworks (final one of the "Celebration of Light", I've seen all the previous 3, China, Sweden, and Spain) in English Bay. See ya there (whoever lives in Vancouver).

Shinku, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul...
I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Shinku.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 22:45   Link #50
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
Spoiler for I'm Pissed:

I'm not lucky enough to have 5.1 surround sound speakers. I need to save up for a Klipsch 5.1, or a Logitech 5.1 (any other recommendations?). But the priority now is a new graphics card . I'm gonna stick to ATI.

The most annoying enemies would be those baby-leapers and spiders. They come in swarms, usually in close quarters, so rocket/grenades damage me more than it does to them.

I've been playing the whole day (about 8 hours in total) . And my eyes needs a rest...which is why I'm going to see the fireworks (final one of the "Celebration of Light", I've seen all the previous 3, China, Sweden, and Spain) in English Bay. See ya there (whoever lives in Vancouver).
Humm.. So you mean I Shouldn't be killing everything with my pistol? I'm pretty stingy when it comes to ammo, I use the shotgun when I run out of pistol bullets and when I run out of shotgun, I use the machine gun and so on. I can pretty much dodge all the enemies(other than a massive flood of elite marines) so it's not much problem taking them out. Ever try shooting a imp jumping towards you with a shotgun in midair? Damn that's satisfying.

Also to Muir Woods and everyone that needs a 5.1 but don't have that much money... try the

Logitecth Z-640.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...869549-1954221

It's really great for it's price 42.94 with free shipping. It works for both your video game cosoles and computer and it sounds pretty good. My only complaint is that it's not fully wireless. Still, I recommend it(I have it).

In Remembrance - Founder of Sladism / Slade's Photobucket
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 23:30   Link #51
Cichlisuite

Send a message via ICQ to Cichlisuite Send a message via AIM to Cichlisuite
Quote:
So just a warning, don't be reluctant to use your powerful weapons. Forget the shotgun and use that plasmagun instead.
And waste that hard to find ammo on something as lowly as a imp or zombie? No thanks. Shotgun and pistol work fine till you get chainsaw ^_^.
Cichlisuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 00:19   Link #52
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Hope you guys are playing this game with 5.1 Surround Sound. Those whispers sound muchhhhhh more freaky on it since it echos through your head from side to side and along with surround you can tell where the enemies are exactly spawning by just listening to sounds.
Yep I have a 5.1 surround system combined with an audiodigy And those freaking whispers scare the hell out of me I actually play this game in high volume so that I'm able to hear everything and feel the tension Even if my nighboors complain
Old 2004-08-08, 02:29   Link #53
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Just bought the doomster today. I hav'nt installed it tho im letting it radiate in its package right by my p.c. Its one of those savored moments where you get to view your trophy.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 03:54   Link #54
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Thanks for the links to the tweaks, they've really made a difference. I can actually dodge now. Now the only prob is trying to figure out how to get my logitech Z-640 speakers to work right. Can't get the rear speakers to work ever since I started using my nForce2 motherboard which supports 5.1 surround. Any suggestions? Ive searched for answers and haven't found any so Ive just about given up. Anyway, I used a good pair of headphones with the sound cranked up and had a pretty great time . Hear alot more details now.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 04:56   Link #55
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
I have to say this is the best part of the game. Also heres some tips.

When in the Delta labs you can freely use the plasma gun ammo is everywhere, same with the chain gun. And before opeing doors have the BFG or the chain saw active because most of th time there is a super solider or deamon to pounce you!

What is lost can be found. As long as you try your best to find it..
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 05:27   Link #56
Kiro
chocolate overdose

i think, some people don't fully understand what doom3 tries to archieve and therefore dislike the spawning of creatures in cleared ar4eas. the goal of doom is to mess with your mind and give you some shocking moments to remember. off course monsters will spawn in cleaned areas. that way you will never feel safe. if you don't feel safe, you're allways a little nervous, and nervous as you are you are more sensible to good shockers. i mean, this is not counterstrike. this is doom. the name sais it all.

i mean, yes, later i you get kinda used to it but there are STILL some shock moments where you think, whoah, those bastards from id.

really, they did that in resident evil too. there are locations, that you had to visit 3 or 4 times and you get used to the locations. then, when you're not paying attention but just running through that location because you have this or that item for another area, that's the moment, where they strike and it works for me. imo they didn't overdo this so much, that you get too used to it. i just got used to imps spawning behind me.

heck, they even mess with the "look back and see, if behind you is everything clear"-tactic. whenever a monster spawns at a place, where it's a little too obvious, i look, if a monster is sneaking up behind me (ok, i ALLWAYS look back...), but sometimes the guys from id set the spawning time 5 seconds or so later, so that you look back, see nothing, turn around and then get shot in the back from that zombie-marine that just spawned 5 secs later.
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 05:56   Link #57
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

Right. Why would clearing a room your presently in mean anything in the future? The basis of the game is to survive right and get out. These demons can open doors if they wanted, break through them, crawl in ducts or "sewers" so there pretty able to get around the entire place as freely as they like. The fact that I cleared something 20 minutes ago. Saved the health in the room just in case and went back doesn't mean there maybe shouldn't be anything there. Demons are everywhere, in the dark, in the light, under your bed and in your head.
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 07:30   Link #58
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto03
Demons are everywhere, in the dark, in the light, under your bed and in your head.
Thats what makes the game so fun to play the first time aronud. Its like an anime and you are surrounded and you make your way across the rooms as a lone wolf towards your ultimate goal.

What is lost can be found. As long as you try your best to find it..
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 07:37   Link #59
Ending

Sure, that SOUNDS reasonable, but like I said: doing so without any apparent reason and mechanically just to keep the "feeling" is pain in the arse. IIRC, in SS2 you could practically sit on your chair, keeping your crosshair in one spot, and keep blasting the hell out from the same monster suddenly lumbering out from that oh-so-empty corridor. Imagine this applying to the hardest enemies too, and you will be wondering why to keep shooting when it is pointless and better just to ignore them.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 15:10   Link #60
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I must say the story line of the game is awesome; it develops very well through the game. You really get curious about what's going on, and the videos, emails, and audio logs just make you impatient.

Big spoiler! Don't read if you haven't gotten to hell yet!

Spoiler:

I just got to hell, and I can't beat the last boss... it is so damn hard, specially becuase the game run very slow when I'm fighting him. I get something like 10 or 15 frames per second, which I can't understand. I have an Athlon +1800, 512 ram at 400mz!!!! and a fu!@# Gforce fx 5900XT at 128mb, Why in the hell has that part to go slow if nothing else in the game did?

Well, I guess it is my old problem... http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=14704... perhaps my proccesor is about to die.

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2004-08-08 at 15:27.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote