AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-08-05, 17:30   Link #1
Ryu_Hiragoshi
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Age: 36
Send a message via AIM to Ryu_Hiragoshi Send a message via MSN to Ryu_Hiragoshi Send a message via Yahoo to Ryu_Hiragoshi
Question Why is Jpop so well liked?

I was just wondering why Jpop is the only thing I hear about when it comes to music from japan? I mean I'm not trying to bash anyone else's musical tastes and all, but I just find it degrading that when it comes to a culture that is built on a foundation of artistry that pop music would be such a dominant genre.

But this question only surfaces because I'm such a classical fan and wish that classical had more of a presence. But maybe because this is mainstream culture we're talking about.

When I was at Otakon it seemed like this was the only genre of music everyone was listening to, and it seemed kind of disturbing that nothing else was really being played the whole time. Again, I don't mean to step on anyone's toes.

p.s. On a happy side I really love the traditional music that represents japanese cutlure, and such tradtional instruments such as the japanese flute and the shamisen. Also, I love how alot of composers do alot of great game soundtracks as well. Such Nobou Uemastu and Yasunori Mitsuda. I will love these guys forever.

**bows respectfully**

Hirakashi Ryu
Ryu_Hiragoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 21:02   Link #2
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu_Hiragoshi
But maybe because this is mainstream culture we're talking about.
I think you hit the nail on the head right there... you might as well ask why any genre of music gets popular. Something about trends, and commercialism, and marketing, and exposure... In this specific case, I imagine that JPOP is popular among anime fans for many of the same reasons that anime itself is popular: it's different, it's foreign, it's popular within the community, etc.

In general, though, I do agree with your sentiment; it's a shame that some people don't broaden their palate and listen to all different kinds of music. I know, for myself, I can listen to just about anything if I'm in the right mood, and I do so. But, I also know some people who have no interest in trying out different kinds of music; they know what they like, and they stick with it.

By default, any anime fan will only get a limited exposure to Japanese culture (the anime subculture). It's up to the person whether they want to broaden their exposure to appreciate the bigger picture, or be content with the cross-section that they see. I think that's the way it is with music, and a lot of other things as well.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 21:18   Link #3
Imazul
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Jpop is like any music, when you hear it over and over again you get hooked. Im not that big of a fan of jpop (I like 5 songs and their only game/anime related because I heard them so much time), im much of a classical/metal fan myself.


Quote:
Such Nobou Uemastu and Yasunori Mitsuda. I will love these guys forever.
Well lets say we have that in common. Mitsuda Chrono Cross OST was a masterpiece.
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 02:32   Link #4
babbito2k
annoying white bat
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu_Hiragoshi
I was just wondering why Jpop is the only thing I hear about when it comes to music from japan? I mean I'm not trying to bash anyone else's musical tastes and all, but I just find it degrading that when it comes to a culture that is built on a foundation of artistry that pop music would be such a dominant genre.
Japan is based on a foundation of sentiment. If you want to get in touch with the real soul of Japan or something go listen to enka, that's what the old folks get into.
__________________
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 05:33   Link #5
Fredag
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden, Scandinavia
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Fredag
If you're sick and tired of traditional jpop (I'm not) then maybe Hideki Kaji would be something for you my friend. This album is my favorite > http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PSCR-5967

I used to be a game music fan as well...
Fredag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 10:30   Link #6
Suikun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Age: 27
I'm sure I don't have to mention that this trend isn't limited to Japanese pop music or anything - it's the same in this country and basically any other modernized country. I'm sure you can agree when I say that trendy artists like Britney Spears or Backstreet Boys do NOT represent the culture or foundation of this country, yet just a few years ago both artists were the only thing a vast majority of the country seemed to listen to. Give people some decent Jazz or even metal, and they'd scoff at you and your music choices because it's too different (meaning they were too freakin' close-minded and unoriginal to break away from mindlessly following what everyone else was doing). That's just the way mainstream culture works regardless of the country in question, or of the music in question.

It pisses me off anytime I try to get these close-minded products of mainstream culture into a different genre - or even the same genre in a different language - but there's nothing you can do. They're the ones who miss out if they refuse to listen to some good classical music or some new American Jazz artist or some great Japanese rock/metal.

That being said, it's also important that you try not to develop a hatred of something simply because it's popular. In contrast, I know many people who refuse to listen to something simply because it's too "mainstream" whether the music is good or not.
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 10:56   Link #7
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
That being said, it's also important that you try not to develop a hatred of something simply because it's popular. In contrast, I know many people who refuse to listen to something simply because it's too "mainstream" whether the music is good or not.
Isn't that the truth... Really, if something is good, it's good - if it's good and happens to get popular, then so much the better. That's the way it is with music, and a lot of other things as well.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 11:27   Link #8
zindryr
Bakafish Person and Stuff
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 29
I find it odd that many people who hate pop music in America love it when it is in Japanese. Just a thought.
zindryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 11:41   Link #9
lotus_lee
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Age: 28
Most J-Pop songs I hear are quite cheesy at first but once I listen to it more, I begin to like it more.
lotus_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 11:45   Link #10
rorosama
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindryr
I find it odd that many people who hate pop music in America love it when it is in Japanese. Just a thought.
Well, i like j-pop cause when i listen to it, it's usually from a opening or ending of an anime. You immerse yourself from the op or ed that you eventually like the song. Same can be said for movie soundtracks. People get them because of the movie they heard the songs in at the right monments.
rorosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 11:55   Link #11
Ryu_Hiragoshi
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Age: 36
Send a message via AIM to Ryu_Hiragoshi Send a message via MSN to Ryu_Hiragoshi Send a message via Yahoo to Ryu_Hiragoshi
I really thank you guys for your input. It's really quite interesting how things can be the same even if we are talking about two different cultures. If there is one thing you'll never have to worry about me being and that's me being closed minded like alot of people.

At the same time I'll do everything in my power to try to promote the great music I listen to. Such as the Haibane Renmei,Mosnter,Neon Genesis S2 Works and the other multitudes of great classical OSTs that come from the art form. More so because they are great masterpieces and fine examples of the performing arts. Again, I thank everyone for their their repsonses.

**bows**

Hirakashi Ryu
Ryu_Hiragoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 12:05   Link #12
lotus_lee
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorosama
Well, i like j-pop cause when i listen to it, it's usually from a opening or ending of an anime. You immerse yourself from the op or ed that you eventually like the song. Same can be said for movie soundtracks. People get them because of the movie they heard the songs in at the right monments.
Yea, I still listen to the Naruto 2nd Ending song 'Harmonia' a few times a day. I love the chorus.
lotus_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 12:29   Link #13
babbito2k
annoying white bat
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindryr
I find it odd that many people who hate pop music in America love it when it is in Japanese...
It's unfair to characterize jpop as a straight localization of American pop. 20 years ago it could have been argued that the Japanese were merely imitating what they heard from Western pop and rock, but things have changed since then.

The Japanese built a lot of the electronic sound of today from the ground up - drum machines, digital emulation etc. Their music industry is more workmanlike and less prone to the indulgences of the American star-driven system. And they have made extensive use of television (especially music shows, anime and dorama) to give opportunities to composers and musicians. All this has culminated in a very professional and fast-paced "pop scene" which America can't match.
__________________
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 11:50   Link #14
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
Really, I don't consider game soundtracks 'classical' music. Allot of game soundtracks can't hold their own musically without the game, just like movie soundtracks are made for the movie. Notice the keywords 'some'.

As for jazz musicians, ever heard of Keiko Matsui ? She's released albums overseas, though its a niche genre, so very few have ever heard of her. (I discovered her, ironically, through those BMG services. Since my Mom or bro want the 'popular' pick, I get the free ones to expirement with music genres and styles. ^^.)

But you're sounding like something I hate - 'Because I listen to <insert style of music>, I am <insert nonpariel word>."

Music is music. If someone out there loves the Spears because her music to her is the best ever, then she is no better than the one who loves Ayu because her music is the best to her, nor the one who likes classical music, nor the one that likes rock music, nor the one that likes jazz, ect. ect. ect. Asking them why they like isn't any better - they just do. Something about the music connects with them.

And who knew the Apple Jacks commercial would ever be used in a conversation about Jpop? The world is a strange place indeed....
__________________
New Artists you should be listening to - Zwei
Chiaki Nozomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 19:12   Link #15
Yamano667
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The moon :)
Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Japanese J-pop tends to take the songs that they hear from the West (France and Spain, Italy ) and they make new lyrics, and it improves some of them.
I love Jpop music is like i am listening the romantic French and Spanish songs..
I guess Japanese loves the romantic countries like ours
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-09, 10:47   Link #16
Ryu_Hiragoshi
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Age: 36
Send a message via AIM to Ryu_Hiragoshi Send a message via MSN to Ryu_Hiragoshi Send a message via Yahoo to Ryu_Hiragoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki Nozomi
Really, I don't consider game soundtracks 'classical' music. Allot of game soundtracks can't hold their own musically without the game, just like movie soundtracks are made for the movie. Notice the keywords 'some'.

As for jazz musicians, ever heard of Keiko Matsui ? She's released albums overseas, though its a niche genre, so very few have ever heard of her. (I discovered her, ironically, through those BMG services. Since my Mom or bro want the 'popular' pick, I get the free ones to expirement with music genres and styles. ^^.)

But you're sounding like something I hate - 'Because I listen to <insert style of music>, I am <insert nonpariel word>."

Music is music. If someone out there loves the Spears because her music to her is the best ever, then she is no better than the one who loves Ayu because her music is the best to her, nor the one who likes classical music, nor the one that likes rock music, nor the one that likes jazz, ect. ect. ect. Asking them why they like isn't any better - they just do. Something about the music connects with them.

And who knew the Apple Jacks commercial would ever be used in a conversation about Jpop? The world is a strange place indeed....
That's not true at all. Nobuo's Final Fantasy series as some pretty amazing music that I listen to on a daily basis, and it's been quite some time since I've played this series. There are plenty composers that compose pieces for games and you can't say that their pieces aren't that great because it's composed for a game. They'd probably feel pretty insulted.

You have to remember that we live in a day and age where MILLIONS can be poured into development of ONE game. So to say that good classical music can't come from a game soundtrack is pretty close-minded.

Now, I never said anything about ANY genre of music being better than the other. I merely asked why this genre seemed to get so much exposure from the fan's point of view. I just considered that alot of us who are truly into japanese culture would try to explore some of the more traditional forms of music that japan as to offer besides, classical music.

Now as I've said earlier that I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. I'm not trying get into a flame war or anything. I respect what everyone else is into (or at least try ). I was just curious. That's all!!! I just wanted to hear some opinions. Can't blame me for that can you?

Thanks for your time!!

Hirakashi Ryu
Ryu_Hiragoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 17:10   Link #17
Spooky-Electric
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindryr
I find it odd that many people who hate pop music in America love it when it is in Japanese. Just a thought.
I think it's because I don't know what they're saying in Japanese, so it doesn't come off as cheesy.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 11:30   Link #18
munak
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
It's just like here in America, everybody seems to love Pop-Punk. Complety killed the punk name. I don't even pick up new albums cause I just hate hearing some guy who has a voice that cracks so they had to record the song 20 times singing about how he a loser and his girlfriend dumped him. And the whole, "I'm a rebel yet i go to school pass myclasses and listen to my parents cause they give me money" has really worn to thin.
They is other music from Japan which I prefer more. The have some awesome heavy metal, and I don't even enjoy metal that much.

Thats my 2 cents
munak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 12:57   Link #19
Kanna
The Triad
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In front of my MHD player
American music has no variety. Yay new rap song or Yay new pop-punk song or even Yay new slut song. Other parts of the world have better music to offer to my ears. Morning Musume and Ayumi Hamasaki is not better music (It's getting warm in here), but it beats lyrics about sleeping around, doing drugs and being a loser.

Music in Japan is just a better choice, with much more variety.
Kanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 12:57   Link #20
feeman_4_life
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
I realize music is just like taste, it's highly biased and different to others, that being said...

Hm, for me I find that Japanese composers seem to produce music that just connects better. There's a certain quality to it.

American mainstream music... I dunno, most of it I find is just rap/hiphop/punk and various rock bands. Most of it I don't entirely mind, but at the same time, I don't care for either. American pop also sounds quite a bit different from Japanese pop. The style just seems to be different to me.

In my opinion, nothing is as bad as HK pop music. All their songs sound like something produced from the same songwriter, the style seems to be the same all through out the artists etc. It's just SOOOOOOO boring. I happen to be a sucker for slow pop ballads, but the stuff produced from HK, ugh, no emotion at all.

Aside from that, the note regarding the topic about game music doesn't quite hold their music without the game... I used to think that was SOO true. But, ever since playing the final fantasy series, that seems to have changed. I only played the stuff that was only available on the playstation. I don't have a PS2, but that being said, the music from ff10 was not bad. I've only listened to the soundtrack and never even touched the game. It truly is expressive. Playing the game just enhances the experience more. The FFX-2 piano collections is very impressive. It embraces a whole variety of genre's into it. Just listening to it is enough.

I know I'm going off topic, but going back... What makes Japanese Pop music so good? It always seemed to me that Japanese people seem to strive to do best at what they do. The pride and effort that they put into something just shows, even in pop music. =D
feeman_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.