AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-08-10, 20:03   Link #21
quikimpulse
Suicidal Maniac!!!!!

Unhappy R I P

For those of u postin and don't know who rick james is, u must not get out enough.
Hes like the most important artist that contributed to funk.

Well i guess he had it comin all those years of cocaine and partying finally caught up with him. She's a super-freak super freak shes super freaky yeah.
quikimpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 20:27   Link #22
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
Its so sad, he just performed at the BET music awards a few weeks ago and he looked pretty healthy (I'am starting and the Rick James Conspiracy theory). Rick James being one of the greatest musical pioneers of the 1980's decade recently annouced plans to reinvent himself in the world of R&B however just a few weeks later he's died of natural causes at the mere age of just 56, I think the government teaming up with other shadowy figures in hollywood got together and plotted a suttle way to prevent The legendary "Super Freak" from once again claiming his place as the king of R&B. Rick James I salute you and will soon be startinga Rick James petition to have his so called naturally caused death investigated. This is not the end but only the beggining. First we lost BB white, then Luthor Vandrose has a stroke, now this happens, who's next Ruben with a heart attack. We need to do something to prevent this chatostrophic chain of evens from proceeding any further.
I swear to god this acount is like this huge joke and we're all caught in it. Investigated? He was a coke addict!
And I don't believe you just listed Ruben ...

A bit out of line^, but seriously ... I have the same feeling about praising Rick James, as praising Kurt Cobain. The fans overrate them to no extent.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. I have saved this image into my "WTF directory" just in case I ever wonder if it was only been a bad dream, and have removed it from the forum. Hopefully Lexander will never do this again!
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 21:09   Link #23
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikimpulse
For those of u postin and don't know who rick james is, u must not get out enough.
Hes like the most important artist that contributed to funk...
"most self-important artist that contributed to funk" is more like it.

Not knowing who the guy was is a small sin compared to knowing only a tiny little bit about who can funk who - even at the time RJ was making his big hits he was still getting schooled by JB and George Clinton.
Old 2004-08-13, 04:07   Link #24
junko
model bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
You're joking, right? Rick James did a lot more then just "Superfreak", songs like "17", "Give it to me baby" and "Mary Jane" are still played over and over, and thats just a few of his songs. He was undoubtedly one of the Kings of Funk, along with George Clinton, James Brown and a few others, he also coined the term punk funk, which he most defintely king of. He was an inspiration for hundreds of hip-hop, R&B and music artists in general, hell the tune of Superfreak was used for MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This".

He may be just be a one-hit wonder to you, but to people who actually listen to the music, he was a lot more then a song, and funny Chappelle skit.
First off, I said R&B. And yes, he did songs other than "Super Freak" (sad to say, i had completely forgotten about "Give to Me Baby"), but most people only remember him for that. But I still don't think he was the king of Funk.

thanks, PriestessKikyo, for the sig!
junko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 09:05   Link #25
Silent Otaku

It's really sad that he died

I wonder if Dave Chappelle is going to do some kind of memorial on the First Ep of the 3rd season?
Silent Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 18:29   Link #26
Don Roberto
President of Euroslavia

Rick James will live on forever due to Chappelle's Show and his witty catch phrase.
Don Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote