AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-09-28, 03:18   Link #101
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Micheal Bay directing Robotech movie? Cool! MORE EXPLOSIONS!!!!!!!!!!
He can't direct action scenes worth a nickel, though. Transformers had some awesome graphics, but the close combat sucked. Close combat got blurry all the time.

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 23:11   Link #102
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Blurry? It is more like too fast for eyes to catch up, not helping with shaking camera part.
Old 2008-10-03, 00:41   Link #103
Lockgar

Robotech, wth

I have no idea where to put this, and the search function brings up nothing about robotech. So anyway, here we go.

I was watching Macross Frontier "i'm on episode 9 as of writing this", and was wondering why no one was mentioning the robotech masters from the second "series" of the original show I saw when I was a wee lad. SURPRISE SURPRISE, that show never happened? Apparently Robotech was the creation's of merging three series that looked extremely similar together, "looking back, man they did look a lot a like, maybe it was for the best since apparently the other 2 where consider horrible on their own.". It apparently spawned several books and comics, and pretty much became a "secondary universe" to Macross fiction. "If you are not familiar, with the idea, look up DC comics."

I was a fan of the original "robotech" series "I even have some of the old comics", but watched several macross spin offs, since I never actually saw the last episode of the second "series", never even started the third "series" "there was apparently 3" I just assumed I missed something. Now I don't even know what is even going on. I always just thought they called Macross, Robotech, and when they where feeling lazy, they didn't change the name.

A little help here? Do characters like Dana Sterling exist? Are there no robotech masters? What do the games cover?

This isn't a question about Macross frontier, its more of a question about the franchise in general.
Lockgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 00:44   Link #104
Ithekro
The Comet IS Coming

Try this thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=18502
It is the closest I know about.

Beware of flames. Robotech is an touchy subject to the Macross purists.
Old 2008-10-03, 00:54   Link #105
Lockgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Try this thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=18502
It is the closest I know about.

Beware of flames. Robotech is an touchy subject to the Macross purists.
I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I never really saw any problems, I had watch several macross shoot offs, and never really saw any disconnection, aside from lack of mentioning certain plot points, like the robotech masters, I just assumed they killed seem all in the third series.
Old 2008-10-03, 01:35   Link #106
Ithekro
The Comet IS Coming

If I recall the "Robot Masters" were killed or overthrown (or something) by the Invid at the end of the Second season plus the "Sentinals" spinoff books. (or right after the end) Third series covers the "Invid" occupation of Earth (it seems that right after the Second Space War the Invid invaded Earth when it was at its weakest).

Again it has nothing to do with Macross in reality.

Dana Sterling (by that name) doesn't exist in Macross. She is functionally two characters from two different shows. One is the baby of "Max Sterling", the other is the main character from Southern Cross. I don't recall what happens to her after the Second series of Robotech. In Macross we don't really see that particular child of Max again in Macross 7. We see one of her younger sisters however as a main character.

Reading though that thread may answer other questions, but also give you a feel for what the differences are between Robotech and Macross. And their fanbases.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2008-10-03 at 02:41.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 03:42   Link #107
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If I recall the "Robot Masters" were killed or overthrown (or something) by the Invid at the end of the Second season plus the "Sentinals" spinoff books. (or right after the end) Third series covers the "Invid" occupation of Earth (it seems that right after the Second Space War the Invid invaded Earth when it was at its weakest).

Again it has nothing to do with Macross in reality.

Dana Sterling (by that name) doesn't exist in Macross. She is functionally two characters from two different shows. One is the baby of "Max Sterling", the other is the main character from Southern Cross. I don't recall what happens to her after the Second series of Robotech. In Macross we don't really see that particular child of Max again in Macross 7. We see one of her younger sisters however as a main character.

Reading though that thread may answer other questions, but also give you a feel for what the differences are between Robotech and Macross. And their fanbases.
I contend that Macross is actually lifting plot premises from Robotech.

SD Cavalry Southern Cross -> Sterling daughter (Dana in Robotech) and guitar freak (Bowie Grant/Emerson) battle against brainwashed humans(in the Southern Cross version) under the control of ancient vaguely mystical space weirdos. Guitar freak romances a space weirdo girl (Musica).

Macross 7 -> Guitar freak (Basara, taken to a ridiculous extreme) and a Jenius daughter (Mylene) battle against brainwashed humans under the control of ancient vaguely mystical space vampire weirdos. Guitar freak romances a space vampire weirdo girl (Sivil).

Mospeada -> Purple haired female impersonator (Yellow Belmont/Lancer) and friends struggle to survive against the attacks of insect like hive-mind biomechanical space bugs. Green haired bug girl (Sera/Sorji) has the hots for him.It turns out that human assholes in the expeditionary fleet are worse than the bugs and are the real enemy in the finale.

Macross Frontier -> Purple haired female impersonator (Alto) and friends struggle to survive against the attacks of insect like hive-mind biomechanical space bugs. Green haired faux bug girl (Ranka) has the hots for him. It turns out that the human assholes in Macross Galaxy are worse than the bugs and are the real enemy in the finale.

By extrapolation, we can expect the next Macross to be about Hikaru, Misa,Minmay and Lucha Libre Vrilthwai with unlikely allies like Sharon Apple, Care Bear Aliens and space amazon women in leotards lost in deep space fighting against a depraved anthromorphic Vajra king, Cyborg DD. Ivanov, and the Anti-UN.

Last edited by glyph; 2008-10-03 at 08:04.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 07:04   Link #108
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

I LOL'ed. Hard.
Good lord, I HAVE to stop reading these threads while at work... everyone is looking at me funny, now.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 07:24   Link #109
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

You know Glyph, thats a good one.

So, speaking of Robotech Lockgar, aside from the Macross Saga (which is basically a dub), anything else after that would have nothing much to do with Macross the franchise. So characters like Dana Sterling does not exist. The real name of Maximilian and Milia Jenius' daughter was Komilia Maria Fallyna Jenius, who had green hair, and never dyed it blond after she became an adult

Macross is Macross. Robotech is Robotech. Macross is considered the second biggest mecha franchise in Japan next to Gundam itself, it has a special place in the world of anime, especially when it was responsible for creating several revolutionary ideas within the genre. Next time, when there is an Itano circus, an idol in a mecha anime (Lacus comes to mind), or transforming robots (Macross helped propelled the transformer craze), just remember, it was Macross that started them all

OTOH, corporate bickering of the franchise aside, I watched Robotech again as an adult years later due to self-interest, and I found myself unable to swallow the show in terms of its plot and continuity. It seems everything was out of whack. The characters do not connect, the story does not connect and the world is inconsistent. It was clear to me their attempt to combine three different franchise seemed a bit much.

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2008-10-03, 07:26   Link #110
Lockgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
By extrapolation, we can expect the next Macross to be about Hikaru, Misa,Minmay and Vrilthwai with unlikely allies like Sharon Apple, alien Space Bears and space amazon women in leotards lost in deep space fighting against a depraved anthromorphic Vajra king, Cyborg DD. Ivanov, and the Anti-UN.
I would so watch that, how could you not watch something about Space Cyborg bears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You know Glyph, thats a good one.

So, speaking of Robotech Lockgar, aside from the Macross Saga (which is basically a dub), anything else after that would have nothing much to do with Macross the franchise. So characters like Dana Sterling does not exist. The real name of Maximilian and Milia Jenius' daughter was Komilia Maria Fallyna Jenius, who had green hair, and never dyed it blond after she became an adult

Macross is Macross. Robotech is Robotech. Macross is considered the second biggest mecha franchise in Japan next to Gundam itself, it has a special place in the world of anime, especially when it was responsible for creating several revolutionary ideas within the genre. Next time, when there is an Itano circus, an idol in a mecha anime (Lacus comes to mind), or transforming robots (Macross helped propelled the transformer craze), just remember, it was Macross that started them all

OTOH, corporate bickering of the franchise aside, I watched Robotech again as an adult years later due to self-interest, and I found myself unable to swallow the show in terms of its plot and continuity. It seems everything was out of whack. The characters do not connect, the story does not connect and the world is inconsistent. It was clear to me their attempt to combine three different franchise seemed a bit much.

- Tak
It seems to me that Robotech isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it opened up its own universe with its own characters "Even though most of them are used from other animes ", the novels and comic books weren't that bad. . Just more to enjoy for me. After reading some of the earlier post, I might regret saying that......

I legitimately never knew there was a difference between the two.

Last edited by Lockgar; 2008-10-03 at 07:53.
Old 2008-10-03, 07:48   Link #111
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

But the "original" stuff is so lame it hurts. Anyone here's seen Shadow Chronicles? It just made me cringe all the way I was watching it...

Old 2008-10-03, 07:55   Link #112
Zaku_II
1st Scouting Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
But the "original" stuff is so lame it hurts. Anyone here's seen Shadow Chronicles? It just made me cringe all the way I was watching it...
I've found entertaining, it's not Macross so I don't hope a great movie.
Zaku_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 08:08   Link #113
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Well, I wasn't entertained in the least. I don't always hope for a great movie, even a mediocre one does it for me, sometimes. But the story, the action scenes, the characters... they were so poorly realized it wasn't even funny.

They even had Rick Hunter (Hikaru) show up as an old man.

Old 2008-10-03, 08:56   Link #114
Lockgar

Quote:
Well, I wasn't entertained in the least. I don't always hope for a great movie, even a mediocre one does it for me, sometimes. But the story, the action scenes, the characters... they were so poorly realized it wasn't even funny.

Well we can't do much about your preference. I never watched it though, since I didn't know that existed ether, THANKS A LOT NOW I HAVE TO WATCH SOME ELSE. What, Mark Hamil is in it? Now I'm going to make star wars references while watching it.

Never really kept up with Robot tech or Macross, just knew there was an anime that robots could turn into jets, and bike could turn into robots, which to me, actually make them far more practical then just having a giant robot. "In truth, giant robots aren't that practical, now if it could into a jet on a whim, that's versatility baby."

Onizuka-GTO = ass hole

Last edited by Lockgar; 2008-10-03 at 19:06.
Old 2008-10-03, 09:03   Link #115
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockgar View Post
Well we can't do much about your preference.
Forgive me, but did I imply that you somehow had to? If I did, sorry, it wasn't my intention.

Old 2008-10-03, 18:26   Link #116
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockgar View Post
Onizuka-GTO = ass hole
Hmm, I wonder if you spoke to him recently (and I hope you did not talk about Robotech). He is an ardent Macross fan, so devoted to the point where he actually purchased Mac 7 collector's edition. While I cannot say my devotion to the franchise is any less than his, but to mention Robotech in front of him is a very bad idea...

- Tak

Old 2008-10-03, 19:06   Link #117
Lockgar

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder if you spoke to him recently (and I hope you did not talk about Robotech). He is an ardent Macross fan, so devoted to the point where he actually purchased Mac 7 collector's edition. While I cannot say my devotion to the franchise is any less than his, but to mention Robotech in front of him is a very bad idea...

- Tak
I meant it in a more joking manner, at the time it seemed funnier "but now overlooking it". He pretty much nailed me on the head with his previous posts, about the bewilder Macross/robotech fan who don't even know that there is a differences. Calling them worthless stupids. Not my fault I didn't do a wiki search on the matter before .
Old 2008-10-04, 17:39   Link #118
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal Send a message via Skype™ to abynormal
Quote:

I only watched a preview, but even that left a terrible impression on me. The CGI looked awful and the artwork left a lot to be desired. They even got Macross' signature missile attack wrong!
abynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 17:41   Link #119
Tak
DIN = DAS IST NORM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
I only watched a preview, but even that left a terrible impression on me. The CGI looked awful and the artwork left a lot to be desired. They even got Macross' signature missile attack wrong!
Which I consider a blessing of sorts, I'd have nightmares if they actually got it right.

- Tak

Old 2008-10-04, 18:00   Link #120
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
Which I consider a blessing of sorts, I'd have nightmares if they actually got it right.
Hah, that's right. Probably would have been a tad weird, really.