AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-08-14, 09:32   Link #1
Yuun
~Trying to Enjoy Life~

Send a message via MSN to Yuun
Best Present/Gift.... :(

Ahem... I'm not sure to ask about this but i need your opinion....

Well, My best friend is going to celebrate his birthday soon, and i dunno what present to get for him.

He is a very polite person, generous, helpful, kind, and very loyal towards friendships. I've known him since 12 years ago. We have been close friends since 12 years ago but around 5 years ago he have to move to a very far place. Despite we have separated... we keep contact through phone, email, and letter.

Once in a while he did come back to visit me but i never visit him before... and he's coming back a few days time to visit me but i dunno what to get for him...

Can anyone give opinion for a present?? Some of you might says "Everything i give to him is ok as long as i'm sincere." But i want it to be special, I don't mind the price of that item though.... Please give me you suggestion...

Your help is most appreciated....^^
Yuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 15:50   Link #2
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Well, we don't know what his interests are.

Get him something that he might like but would never buy for himself. It's like - if your mom really wants a massage, but would never pay the price to go to one, then get her that massage that she wants but wouldn't buy.

Or, get him a joke gift. Some kind of joke that only the two of you would get - that shows thought, it's special, and it's not romantic (unless that's the kind of gift you want to get him).
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 16:59   Link #3
Secca
nya`
*Artist

An idea to add beside the gifts. Show him a good time, like take him to places that he might like and you pay for it. I think it will give long lasting impression more than a gift, if he enjoy your company. ^^

Don't push yourself tho if your budgent doesn't allow you to. The toughts, that counts. ^^
Old 2004-08-14, 17:19   Link #4
0ink
Animal Mafia Godfather

Send a message via AIM to 0ink Send a message via Yahoo to 0ink
"Yourself" - Always a good idea.

Anyway. Think , What does HE like. What does he have, What does he not have...

Besides, You could always pry for information the next time you talk to him. Theres always money but i guess thats not the approach you are going for.
0ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 18:19   Link #5
Imazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ink
"Yourself" - Always a good idea.

Anyway. Think , What does HE like. What does he have, What does he not have...

Besides, You could always pry for information the next time you talk to him. Theres always money but i guess thats not the approach you are going for.
From what i read theyre both guy so I dont suggest giving "yourself" (I probably misread other people but anyway).

The best gift you could get would be something that matches is interest, call his family and ask them what he likes the most then buy something that goes with it.

Example: My best friend is into anime, thus I bought him some anime DVDs and 2 wallscrolls.
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 01:17   Link #6
Yuun
~Trying to Enjoy Life~

Err...yea~ It seems that I've over doing it till some of you mistaken over our relationship. Hmm... ok he's not really into anime... although he did watch some... well i think the only think he really interested in is Football

But it seems to me that his girlfriend manage to change his football interest to others which i have absolute no idea.

If only we share the same interest then i can give anime DVD for a present... but now....sigh~

I wonder a picture frame would be a good idea?? T-shirt?? Shoe?? Gahh~~~~

I have no Idea at all...
Old 2004-08-15, 14:44   Link #7
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Well if he likes football, and he's your best friend get him something football related. A jersey from his favorite team, sounds pretty suave.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 15:03   Link #8
Ending

Easy: something you know he could use and isn't too expensive either. Shaving machine, a wrist-watch, or if he is into sweets like I am; a box of the best marmelade.

(Just make sure he doesn't have them already )
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 15:27   Link #9
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I would suggest getting him a bread maker. I just got one a few weeks ago and I don't know how I ever lived without it!
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 18:46   Link #10
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Lol what's a bread maker? ^^

Is it like one of those George Foreman Grill? ^^
Old 2004-08-15, 18:58   Link #11
Imazul

A bread baker is something really complicated.

Its a machine you use to bake bread adn related stuff (I like to make pretzel with mine). Wow, that was a tough explanation.

Last edited by Imazul; 2004-08-15 at 20:12.
Old 2004-08-15, 19:20   Link #12
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazul
A bread baker is something really complicated.

Its a machine you use to break bread adn related stuff (I like to make pretzel with mine). Wow, that was a tough explanation.
You use it to bake bread, not break bread, you silly goose!
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 20:12   Link #13
Imazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
You use it to bake bread, not break bread, you silly goose!
Sadly enough, some of us are gifted with brains that run way faster than theyre fingers
Old 2004-08-15, 20:55   Link #14
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Tickets for a football match, an autograph of his favorite player.
You could watch together a good football match (if you like football too it will be great). like someone else suggest earlier, sometimes having a great time can be the best present.
Old 2004-08-16, 00:06   Link #15
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Lol if a good friend of mine come visiting and we haven't seen each other for 5 years. We would go partying and get drunk, karaoke and stay up all night til morning talking about old times.
Old 2004-08-16, 04:15   Link #16
Yuun
~Trying to Enjoy Life~

Err....a football jersey is to common for him... since he has almost everything about football... boots, football, jersey, and etc. he got all~

Shaving machine?? Ah~ I think he got already lolz...

Hmm... bonneyjellyfish propose quite a interesting idea~ But....hehehe... I don't think he need a bread maker cause we eat a different kind of bread here at my country... I wonder you all know this food call "Roti Canai"? Is a kind of bread too but is very thin and is round shape... Is a Indian food actually...
Thus, I don't think a bread maker would be suitable....

To Yogo Pogo~
Hmm... a ticket for football match arr... well... i'm not into football that much~ I'm a Otaku ^^ so ticket is out of topic. Not to mention signature....

I think Secca idea is one of the most appropriate ones. Maybe i'll just go to Karoake and get ourself drunk.... yea~ i THINK is a pretty good idea... Thanks Secca, I'll take that into considerations.

Hmm... but still i think, i should at least get him a small gift... am i too annoying with my endless request?? If i'm being too much, please forgive me, cause i'm not really good in socializing so, i'm not that good in this kind of stuffs....

To Imazul, well i think you got the point there, sometimes... i do go off course while typing... hehehe~