AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2004-08-14, 23:42   Link #1
Allanon

Dragonball Z by Viz

I recently bought the first four in the dragonball z series and found out later that the makers (Viz) are making newer versions. Are the new versions and the old versions identical except for the cover and size? And also How many are in each part? If anybody knows anything about this series please help me out. I couldn't seem to find anything on google.

Thanks
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 23:45   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon
I recently bought the first four in the dragonball z series and found out later that the makers (Viz) are making newer versions. Are the new versions and the old versions identical except for the cover and size? And also How many are in each part? If anybody knows anything about this series please help me out. I couldn't seem to find anything on google.

Thanks
Basically they're re-printing the volumes into a smaller size. They've made zero content changes nor have they changed the number of chapters per volume. It's the exact same product except now your collection will have the book in two different styles.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 14:15   Link #3
Allanon

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how many volumes the different parts have?

Thanks again.
Old 2004-08-17, 11:37   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking, but the total volume count should end up at 42 volumes. Volumes 1-16 is the Dragonball part and Volumes 17-42 will be the Dragonball Z part. If you're talking about individual arcs, I don't remember specific volumes, I think the Freeza arc starts at volume 21, i.e. volume 5 of DBZ.

Last edited by AnimeFangirl; 2004-08-17 at 11:55.
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-17, 12:14   Link #5
Allanon

Here's the link to the four that I got:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bi...5848&snumber=1

It's got volumes 1-4 but it says Dragonball Z right on the cover not Dragonball.

Thanks
Old 2004-08-17, 16:17   Link #6
TechnoMage
Shoujo-Anime Member

Unless I'm missing something on that page, they list a few of Viz's comic releases, which appear to be roughly 1 or 2 chapters each.

Now, a typical Dragon Ball volume (I don't personally have any of the later Dragon Ball Z books, but the chapters in Shounen Jump appear to be about the same page length) contains a little over 10 chapters I believe, so what you have probably doesn't even cover all of 1 volume.

Just so you can make sure, a typical volume of manga has (usually) around 180 pages.

I hope this helps you.
TechnoMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-17, 16:35   Link #7
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon
Here's the link to the four that I got:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bi...5848&snumber=1

It's got volumes 1-4 but it says Dragonball Z right on the cover not Dragonball.
Just to back up what TechnoMage has stated...

The link you provide shows the Viz comics, which are typically 32 pages. The are not the graphic novels, which are typically 200 pages.

I would suggest that you don't bother with the comic editions because they are simply to expensive, just purchase the new graphic novels (which are up to Volume 17 or so, see the American Manga Release Schedule, or better still, the Viz site).

So, if we look at the first issue of the Comic, 1st Edition Graphic Novel and the 2nd Edition Graphic Novel, we come up with the following details

Comic - Issue 1
32 pages (contains chapter 1 and 2)
Cost $2.95
Released March 98

Graphic Novel (1st Edition) - Volume 1
152 pages (contains issue 1 to 5 of the comic series)
Cost $14.95
Released Spetember 2000

Graphic Novel (2nd Edition) - Volume 1
192 pages (contains ?)
Cost $7.95
Released ?

Seems odd that 1st and 2nd Editions have different pages counts.

Last edited by xris; 2004-08-17 at 16:52.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 04:53   Link #8
AnimeFangirl

Reading the newer shounen these days, you know what I miss about Dragonball? The lack of backstories! None of that "boo hoo hoo, nobody loved Captain Ginyu when he was a kid and Frieza was like a father to him" nonsense, it's just "They aliens, and they're evil, deal with it!" I love it!