AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-16, 20:45   Link #21
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan
ehemm.... being a Buddhist doesnt mean that you are a monk
I'm a Buddhist - and I'm not a monk. So I know what you are talking about. But unless the raw is playing a trick on me, Shimako's father was wearing the raiment of a typical Buddhist monk.

From my own (Chinese) perspective, when a person takes the tonsure and becomes a monk, he severs all relations with loved ones and family and follows a code of conduct that includes celibacy.

Unless, the monk in question wasn't Shimako's father. Or do Japanese monks follow a different path?

Not trying to stir up any religious issues here, I'm just being curious.
Old 2004-08-16, 20:53   Link #22
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
They will release it or i wont get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart
Big question: will they release it in the Marimite soundtrack CD?
Old 2004-08-16, 23:14   Link #23
sparrow
spontaneous comedian

Send a message via ICQ to sparrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
Unless, the monk in question wasn't Shimako's father. Or do Japanese monks follow a different path?

Not trying to stir up any religious issues here, I'm just being curious.
how about this ?

Quote:
Celibacy: the view of a Zen monk from Japan
Soko Morinaga
Buddist monk. Rector of Hanazono University

Examples of the marriage of monks in Japan can be found as early as the Heian period (794-1185). Moreover, beginning from the time of Shinran (1173-1262) and Ippen (1239-1289), who were known as hijiri, or wandering mendicants, there are many examples of the marriage of monks during the Kamakura (1185-1333), Muromachi (1336-1570), and Edo periods (1600-1867). So from the point of view of ordinary Japanese people, the marriage of monks was not regarded as something out of the ordinary.

An edict, number 133, issued by the new Meiji government in 1872 ordered that monks should be free to «eat meat, take wives, and shave their heads» as they chose. From that time, the secularization of monks proceeded rapidly. In Taisho in 1920 the Jodo (Pure Land) School of Buddhism issued a set of Regulations for Temple Families. From this time, the treatment of temple families became an important issue. In this way, the marriage of monks, instead of being viewed as a question of doctrine or the precepts of monastic life, came to be taken up as a problem of personal attraction of temple management, or as a matter affecting the lives of temple families. The problem, then, became less a strictly religious one, and more a matter of how to deal with the inheritance of temple headships and the social status, rights, and property of temple families.

Quoted from Celibacy: the view of a Zen monk from Japan @vatican.va
ah, from Vatican's website ^^;
hasn't read to the last line yet tho'

also there's a discussion about Buddhist monk's marriage @E-sangha Forum
Old 2004-08-21, 19:54   Link #24
bohemian
坂本真綾さん最高

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Nijou Noriko-chan makes her debut! Banza-i!! Hmm, she's a little bit more reserved than I expected from the novel. But Shimizu Kaori's voice seems to match her tone about "being different from the rest."
I love Noriko's voice too the first time I heard. I also love Kaori Shimizu's performances as Lain (S.E.Lain) and Toka/Boogiepop (Boogiepop Phantom). She's the same age as me but she has been around as a seiyuu for 6 years already.
Old 2004-09-12, 03:14   Link #25
bla

Wahoo, thanks Ayu. You guys rock.
Old 2004-09-12, 10:05   Link #26
baik!
baik the cow!

Send a message via ICQ to baik!
yaay thanks ayu! lotsa <3 for the ayu team for another wonderful release!

shimako-san looked so sad at the beginning. then she looked so freaky with her hands out standing in front of the sakura tree...... maybe it was the really long arms and skinny body (not proportional) the animators gave her for that scene... but she looked so heavenly from the overhead camera view~

yoshino and yumi-chan were cleaning a toilet?

yumi-chan looks so sad as well, lonely for her onee-sama. since i read the spoiler for the parasol portion of the novel, i'm heartbroken whenever there is a reference to that event (all those screencaps in the futabas don't help ). sachiko-sama, don't stop loving yumi-chan!!

noriko+shimako was so lovely! it felt as if shimako was a different person, with her tractor-beam eyes~

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
OMG...I didn't expect Noriko's reaction would be so... blatant. I thought if she stared at Shimako for one more minute, she would start to drool.
yah! she got caught by shimako's tractor-beam eyes!! my room felt so quiet during the scenes where they were making eyes at each other.... as if time stopped. shimako just seemed so much like a different person, so quiet and melancholic with such powerful eyes..... it's like you become stunned after you look at those eyes... in season one i thought of her as a pleasant, quiet girl. now she erm, 'feels' more powerful or something.

noriko-san's voice is quite pleasing to the ears. same can't be said for touko, though. i guess she'll have to grow on me. kj1980 is right, i nearly jumped out of my seat when touko hugged sachiko-sama!!! oii she belongs to yumi-chan!!!!!

so far, this is episode 7, and frankly i miss yumi-chan. she gets so little screentime nowadays. the lovely feeling i get when i watch sachiko-sama and yumi-chan together is missing. will noriko and shimako act love love, or is 'eye-to-eye making out' on the menu this time around? my eyes were dry for this episode too~

gogo marimite rap! dou naru no? and is that rei sizing up noriko? surprised that she would do that.
Old 2004-09-12, 12:27   Link #27
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Ayu we loooooove you ^^!

yeeeha, Sachiko's rap was translated!

*still stuck with the image of Sachiko with a mic and wide pants* o_O
Old 2004-09-12, 12:40   Link #28
The_Dreamer
One of those days

Send a message via AIM to The_Dreamer
Thanks, Ayu!

Wow, Touko's intriguing. I think I might like her. Or maybe I'm just impressed with the fact that someone could be so close with Sachiko that they'd openly embrace her with other people present. Especially when it seem like Sachiko's always worrying about appearences. That killed me too. Sachiko tells Touko to address her properly but does she react when Touko hugs her? Nooooo.

Aw, Shimako. Good to know that she seems a bit happier after meeting Noriko though. Speaking of Noriko...Holy crap is she cute. She seems really taken with Shimako. Good for 'em both.

On a final note, Sei's haircut rocks. XD
Old 2004-09-12, 13:07   Link #29
Ayumu Kasuga ^oSaKa^
Epitaph of Twilight

Send a message via MSN to Ayumu Kasuga ^oSaKa^
Thanks a LOT Once More! We Love You So Much Ayu!!!
^______^
Old 2004-09-12, 15:05   Link #30
Ialdaboth

OMG... I *really* hate Touko.

She is going to spoil the entire season for me.
Old 2004-09-12, 16:28   Link #31
Cichlisuite

Send a message via ICQ to Cichlisuite Send a message via AIM to Cichlisuite
Awesome episode! It seems that i have a new fav character besides Sei and Shimako Not only Noriko is cute but she is buddhist too
And the preview for the next episode, OMFG XD XD i cant believed Sachiko RAPPED LOL
Old 2004-09-12, 17:36   Link #32
Göönk
Macross fan

Thanks AYU for the work. I don't know if you translate it right but at least what you translated seems perfect with the pictures so keep the good work going !

about the anime : ah at last : freshmen ! -> I have problems with names but there is an annoying girl and another girl I like.
Old 2004-09-12, 21:15   Link #33
gourami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialdaboth
OMG... I *really* hate Touko.

She is going to spoil the entire season for me.

I don't like Touko either!!
She just seems kind of annoying... and i couldn't stand her voice! (have to give the seiyuu some credit for that though)
Old 2004-09-12, 21:51   Link #34
The_Dreamer
One of those days

Send a message via AIM to The_Dreamer
Wow...I didn't think THAT many people didn't like Touko. It's too early to pass any judgement on her for me. She's gonna be an interesting character though if she can stir up that much trouble between Sachiko and Yumi. (For some reason I just thought of Eris and the apple of discord of the Greek Myths. XD)
Old 2004-09-12, 22:16   Link #35
MikoKikyo

At first seeing the way Touko acted, I felt immediate disdain for her. That was my first impression.
But, like The Dreamer, I'm not completely set on that impression, since her character still seems a little ambiguious from that introduction. I mean, it only seemed as if she'll become a rock on Yumi's relationship with Sachiko; at the same time, it's not clear that her only role in the plot is to cause trouble between the two, or stir jealousy from the other girls.

In any case, I always like it when new characters are introduced. This also means that there'll be some more focus on Yumi+Sachiko - if our assumptions on Touko's role in the plot scheme are correct.
Old 2004-09-13, 00:37   Link #36
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Thumbs up

I loved Noriko. She is pretty in an unusual way. And her and shimako, well you know
Now as for Touko I don't know, her voice didn't bother me at all in fact I liked it. What really bothered me was the touch of arrogance I perceived in her character? I will hold judgement for now and see her byplay with the other characters.
Old 2004-09-13, 00:48   Link #37
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by baik!
yoshino and yumi-chan were cleaning a toilet?
They were cleaning the sinks. I reckon it is quite common in Asian schools to perform some cleaning duty. At least during my secondary school (er, senior high?), we were required to do some additional cleaning duties besides the usual ones of keeping the classroom clean daily.

I'm not too sure if it has been discontinued in Singapore (we're becoming more 'Western', I suppose), but I reckon its something 'untouchable' in Japan (I guess).
Old 2004-09-13, 01:29   Link #38
Sugu
Suguho, really

seiyuu?

I read a while ago that Sakamoto Maaya would be one of the new seiyuu's so is she either Touko or Noriko? I can only compare her voice to Escaflowne so it is hard for me to tell ...
Old 2004-09-13, 01:53   Link #39
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugu
I read a while ago that Sakamoto Maaya would be one of the new seiyuu's so is she either Touko or Noriko? I can only compare her voice to Escaflowne so it is hard for me to tell ...
Nijou Noriko is done by Shimizu Kaori. She is probably more known in the United States as the seiyuu for Iwakura Lain from "Serial experiments lain."

Matsudaira Touko is done by Kugimiya Rie. She is best known as Alphonse Elric from "Hagane no Renkinjutsushi" ("Fullmetal Alchemist") and Rizel from "Rizelmine."
Old 2004-09-13, 07:32   Link #40
JokerD

Goodness, I really really dislike Touko, something about her voice just sets me off. She sounds like spoilted brat. Is it just me or does it seems like she's showing off to Noriko when she intros the roses to her. Could be the way it's worded in the sub or the tone of her voice but these lines stand out to me: "I just came from the Rose Mansion", "It's like a room for the Student Council, but it's only for the Roses" Kinda like she's showing off her connection to the Roses.

*Sigh* I'll try and keep an open mind but something about her just rubs me the wrong way.
Closed Thread