AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-13, 07:41   Link #41
Okita Souji

Thanks for your hard work Ayu!

I think Shimako and Noriko just became my favorite characters.
Old 2004-09-13, 10:14   Link #42
Bracken33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okita Souji
I think Shimako and Noriko just became my favorite characters.
Yes, they are just too cute together. Noriko is a nice character. I liked her right away.
The whole episode was very heart warming for me. The white roses are now really my favourite roses.

I also liked Touko. We needed another character causing some entaglements imho. I hope she will play that role well.
I am looking forward to see more Touko (but preferably more Shimako and Noriko ).
Old 2004-09-13, 10:51   Link #43
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Hmm, just re-watched it and I noted how much.. prettier Sei looks with her new, shorter hair-cut. More tidier and clean looking, yes?
Old 2004-09-13, 20:59   Link #44
Nequam

Send a message via MSN to Nequam
Awesome work as usual, Ayu. Noriko and Shimako really are such a great pair -- it's so heartwarming.

And I also liked Sei's new "neat and tidy" look a lot. I do hope we see more of her.
Old 2004-09-13, 21:45   Link #45
hooliganj
Team Player

Finally I get to see this one. Unfortunately, it ended before I could form a real impression of Noriko, so I guess I'll have to wait until ep 8 for that.

Touko, on the other hand, kinda stood out a little more. It's hard to tell this soon, but I think I'm going to like the little first-year trouble maker.
Old 2004-09-14, 01:36   Link #46
The Yellow Dwarf

This episode is probably the best I've seen in the entire series so far, nearly everything about it is perfect. Well, maybe not perfect, but better than most other episodes. (Although, to be fair, it also has one of the ugliest buses I've seen in all of anime.)

I like Shimako and her slightly off-beat optimism (that is probably derived from her Zen Buddhist upbringing). While I really liked Noriko's perceptiveness, she is really derivative by now, after two and one honoray members from the White Rose family of "loners." I wonder how she'll develop as a character.

Ever since the first episode I've pegged Sachiko's as the "seme yaoi boy," and that scene in the rose mansion (and the whole intentional/unintentional teasing of Yumi) further reinforced my suspicion. Touko is quite a presence and I really want to see more of her, though I hope that she won't pull an Asuka Langley. I would rather see someone unapologetically cutting like Sei.

Sei's new haircut does make her look a lot more boyish doesn't it? (Whereas her old hairstyle felt more manly, sort of like a clean-shaven version of Yamanabe or whatever his name was, the ronin-sensei.) A question for those who speak Japanese though: Is Sei trying to put some distance between her and Yumi by telling Yumi to call her "Satou-san," or is there some subtlety in the original Japanese that didn't make its way into English?
Old 2004-09-15, 23:19   Link #47
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
nice episode, bu I was startled when yoshino told yumi that shimako recieved her rosary in the cherry blossoms O_o! did I miss something? I remember perfectly clear that it was in autumn, with the ginko leaves falling, ... yes they mentioned it was in october (Im sure! I made a banner of that scene!!!) or am I wrong?

the final karaoke was just hilarious

a note: please please DONT SPOIL the series with information about the novels in the episodes thread! I know that Noriko becoming the seour of Shimako is pretty obvious, but I wouldve liked to see it happening, not knowing it in advance...
Old 2004-09-15, 23:28   Link #48
Sharkbark
Annoying Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Sharkbark
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
nice episode, bu I was startled when yoshino told yumi that shimako recieved her rosary in the cherry blossoms O_o! did I miss something? I remember perfectly clear that it was in autumn, with the ginko leaves falling, ... yes they mentioned it was in october (Im sure! I made a banner of that scene!!!) or am I wrong?
I was also ammused by this, especially when you consider that cherry blossoms are only supposed to bloom one week out of the year. I swear that 90% of anime must be filmed during this week .
Old 2004-09-16, 08:19   Link #49
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:

the final karaoke was just hilarious

a note: please please DONT SPOIL the series with information about the novels in the episodes thread! I know that Noriko becoming the seour of Shimako is pretty obvious, but I wouldve liked to see it happening, not knowing it in advance...
Perhaps the one who "fansubbed" that scene mistook the translation as the original Japanese dialogue was more along the lines of:

"The sakura tree was an important aspect in the relationship between Sei-sama and Shimako-san"
Old 2004-09-16, 08:59   Link #50
Nequam

Send a message via MSN to Nequam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbark
I was also ammused by this, especially when you consider that cherry blossoms are only supposed to bloom one week out of the year. I swear that 90% of anime must be filmed during this week .
With an anime as beautiful as Marimite, I'm more than willing to allow them a little poetic license for dramatic effect...
Old 2004-09-17, 02:21   Link #51
Sharkbark
Annoying Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Sharkbark
Watching this ep a 2nd time I noticed something fun...

Spoiler:

So who thinks Yumi will eventually pick up this bad habit?

And unlike most of you, I really dislike Sei's haircut. It doesn't suit her, too clean and trim. My favorite part about her looks was her wild and messy hair :\
Old 2004-09-17, 06:44   Link #52
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Gendo Ikari as Rosa Chinesis, now that had been a sight...
Old 2004-09-20, 20:56   Link #53
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbark
Watching this ep a 2nd time I noticed something fun...

Spoiler:

So who thinks Yumi will eventually pick up this bad habit?

And unlike most of you, I really dislike Sei's haircut. It doesn't suit her, too clean and trim. My favorite part about her looks was her wild and messy hair :\
Haha! I guess the Japanese must really like that pose

I can't see Yumi doing it though...

Finally someone who also didn't like Sei's haircut. It's not even that it doesn't suit her, because it may well represent a new shape that her personality is taking with the transition to college (just my theory), but it's the fact that I just don't think the boyish look is as charming as the longer and messy hairstyle she had before.
Old 2004-09-21, 21:13   Link #54
EfrainMan
Scourge of the Seven Seas

This episode was so much fun. Many emotions sparked for me

I had only one thing to say on Sei's appearance...OMGWTF!!!!1!!11 Sei's hair was so much of the Sei experience...*sigh* She almost looks...*GASP* grown up...almost.

When I saw Touko all over Sachiko, I think I thought exactly what Yumi must've been thinking, "who da hell is dis biatch and why is she all over my (her) Onee-sama!" Chalk me up as another "I don't like her very much..."

And the Noriko and Shimako scenes left me breathless. Soooooooo gorgeous, they practically didn't need to say anything at all. ^^ I want more, can't wait for ep. 8!!
Old 2004-09-24, 12:27   Link #55
The Yellow Dwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestessKikyo
Finally someone who also didn't like Sei's haircut. It's not even that it doesn't suit her, because it may well represent a new shape that her personality is taking with the transition to college (just my theory), but it's the fact that I just don't think the boyish look is as charming as the longer and messy hairstyle she had before.
Long live the Long and Messy Hairstyle!
It seems that Sei's hair length just keeps shrinking: she's got waist-length in second year, shoulder-length in third year, and now she has short hair in college. You think she'll go bald like Sinead O'Connor when she graduates?
Old 2004-09-25, 19:33   Link #56
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Quote:
I thought she said she met Sei in the cherry blossoms, which would be true. I'm totally digging these episodes. It's so...nostalgic, maybe meloncholy(I was grabbing for some word like that, not sure what the feeling is) to watch the cycle of growth. All the en boutons have moved on to be Roses and the prior petite seours will be having their own petite seours.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of people are watching this show? This is a big departure from the typical Initial D and such I watched. I just happened to stroll in this forum and got curious about the whole lesbian thing. It's not a big thing IMO except maybe Sei's relationship with that girl that I forgot her name. That was a bit on the unhealthy, obsessive side. Anyways, I love this show. The only other thing that I can say I watched similar to this was maybe Kare Kano.
Old 2004-09-25, 22:48   Link #57
baik!
baik the cow!

Send a message via ICQ to baik!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidAKP
Just out of curiosity, what kind of people are watching this show? This is a big departure from the typical Initial D and such I watched.
i am a person who likes shoujo manga. and love stories. and romance novels. and comedy. and i cry when i watch anime.

i think sei grows her hair back to the messy style, no? all the doujinshis and oekaki sketches show her with her messy shoulder length hair. long dark-haired beauties are more to my taste, though.
Old 2004-09-26, 06:19   Link #58
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what kind of people are watching this show?
Lol, I guess we are quite a group.

As for me, I could more or less be called something of a lightweight anime-fan. I watch several shows that my friends pick up, and dislike the most of them (actually, I'm not fond of generic anime at all). I pick up a few shows now and then on my own but drops most of them due to lack of interest. Most stuff that catches my fancy thou, (despite the whole negative factor I still love anime as a media-concept), are things that are way out of mainstream. My favorite shows being Kino no Tabi, Haibane Renmei and Noir (throw in Juuni Kokki and Lain too) kinda proves this.

Marimite caught my interest because well, ok, I don't mind shoujoai obviously. Any kind of pairing is fine with me as long as they are well-motivated. I do think Marimite sticks out a lot because of this certain point. It doesnt ride on the fact that it is shoujoai to make itself hugely popular. We dont see panty-shots, weird film-angles or fanservice a la fiesta. The relationships in the show develope on an accord that is natural and not because it is featuring "OH YEAHS!!! SH0uJoAi-SlasH B00bxB00b AcT10N!!!!!". If you want to fantasy away, no one is going to stop you. But if you want to watch a refined show about different relationships and their developing basis, you can do that just fine. Props.

Currently watching: Madlax, Samurai Champloo and yeah, Marimite ^^
Never stop being a kid. Never stop feeling and seeing and being excited with great things like air and engines and sounds of sunlight within you. Wear your little mask if you must to protect you from the world but if you let that kid disappear you are grown up and you are dead.
— Richard Bach

Shigan's Fanfiction Masterlist -- The Hayate x Vivio Files
Old 2004-09-27, 08:55   Link #59
Noriko
白薔薇のファン。

Hello minna !

It's the first time I post here, although I've read many threads (I had pb with loging in -_-)

Well, Marimite is really stricking ! The calm atmosphere that reveals feelings is great (soaps should take lessons by watching it, jeez...)

Quote:
I usually like anime, especially shoujo ones, but this is the first ESU anime I've watched: SAIKOU !! I have cried when watching ~Rainy Blue~ ... and felt depressed for the day...

At first, I had a preference for the elegant Sachiko, but now, my eyes can't get off Shimako! (I want the same hair style!! but my asian hair don't want to make the soft curls like hers T_T or maybe I'm not skilled) I thought she was beautiful when I watched the first season, but that was all. I'm very glad the stress has been put on her in this season
I was a fan of sei-sama (and still am), but Shimako really took a place in my heart!
Old 2004-09-27, 23:46   Link #60
Sugu
Suguho, really

Quote:
I love "esu" things, and pretty things, and I'm overly sensitive
I'm a college senior, and I started watching this show in the spring during finals period. Before that, the last time I saw much anime was in middle school. Then I liked Escaflowne, and anything that looked like shoujo comics.
I also have become a fan of the White Roses & their subtleties... even apart from the novels, their relationships seem literary. I've appreciated this season in a new way from the last, though also am one of those who miss Sei-sama's messy cut.
Closed Thread