AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-09-11, 23:35   Link #121
Grona
Big Damit!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: PEI, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
The case looks good. The number of bays available is a bit small, but that's a trade-off given its size. Don't forget to make sure the airflow is pretty decent inside once you've had the parts installed, however, and the cooling sufficient. Cheers.
yea the lack of bays bugs me, but 2 disc drives and a fan controler is all I ever had in my computers so I dont think it'll be in issue, I hope. I'm worrying about heat alot lately, I'm probly going to be having a new heatsink on the vid card and maybe add some more fans.
__________________
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 04:14   Link #122
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
yea the lack of bays bugs me, but 2 disc drives and a fan controler is all I ever had in my computers so I dont think it'll be in issue, I hope. I'm worrying about heat alot lately, I'm probly going to be having a new heatsink on the vid card and maybe add some more fans.
I think that you'll have to worry about air circulation also. Fans, IMHO, won't work at their peak to move the heat out if something - like the heatsink on the video card, for example - is blocking the airflow. Radiating the heat out from the components will only help so much if it also can't be moved out from within the case.

You might be able to work around it by using round cables and tying them back (and moving them out of the way), but there isn't a great deal of room in the case. With only two drives, you should be okay, but it's something to keep in mind.

My 2 yen. Feel free to disagree, obviously.
__________________
"If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?" -- Misc.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 10:24   Link #123
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Looks futuristic . Too bad it does not have a fan on the side to cool the video card but aside from that it's good.
I'm of the opinion that the case cited is... horrendously gaudy, but that's neither here nor thereóto each their own.

A fan on the side is pointless, and can even be a detriment to airflow. Video cards are designed to operate perfectly in system temperatures as long as the rest of the system is vented properly. Having an airflow from front to back will keep the case the coolest without the need for extra pointless blowholes. A CPU fan and headsink, an intake fan, an exhaust fan, and the power supply drawing air up and out will sufficiently cool the system. Other fans will disrupt this front-to-back, bottom-to-top airflow and prevent the system from being cooled effectively. The goal with cooling is to cool as efficiently and with as few fans as possible to keep noise levels down.

I still say get a Mac, but I can see you're set on a PC. If you enjoy your PC desktop, at some point in the future I'd still suggest a Mac laptop. It's good to have experience with more than one platform, and Apple makes great, thin, light, and mobile laptops.
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 11:18   Link #124
Grona
Big Damit!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: PEI, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClessAlvein
I'm of the opinion that the case cited is... horrendously gaudy, but that's neither here nor thereóto each their own.

A fan on the side is pointless, and can even be a detriment to airflow. Video cards are designed to operate perfectly in system temperatures as long as the rest of the system is vented properly. Having an airflow from front to back will keep the case the coolest without the need for extra pointless blowholes. A CPU fan and headsink, an intake fan, an exhaust fan, and the power supply drawing air up and out will sufficiently cool the system. Other fans will disrupt this front-to-back, bottom-to-top airflow and prevent the system from being cooled effectively. The goal with cooling is to cool as efficiently and with as few fans as possible to keep noise levels down.

I still say get a Mac, but I can see you're set on a PC. If you enjoy your PC desktop, at some point in the future I'd still suggest a Mac laptop. It's good to have experience with more than one platform, and Apple makes great, thin, light, and mobile laptops.
I've had a plain jane white case since my last build, I want somthing that isnt boring like some generic black or white case. Besides, its light and the reviews are good. It's more function over flash in this case though.

An extra suckhole near the cpu is pointless? 0_o If I wanted to cool the vid card I would just get a slot cooler. I supose the 120mm fan in the psu isnt any use either, lol. I dont even know the placement of the case yet so I might not be adding any extra side fans yet if its going to sit where this tower is.

I have experience with Apples and Linux not just windows, it was an informed decision (just like not using Linux on my laptop). I want to be able to actulay use it and not searching for software alternatives for what works now. Not to mention the hassle of getting my apple working right with the other 6 systems on the network here.
__________________
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 14:09   Link #125
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
I want to be able to actulay use it and not searching for software alternatives for what works now. Not to mention the hassle of getting my apple working right with the other 6 systems on the network here.
I'm sure plugging in an Ethernet cable and clicking a checkbox is quite a hassle. OS X integrates perfectly with Windows SMB networks, and can do file and print sharing to Windows computers this way. All you need to do is turn it on by clicking one check-box. Macs are easy, remember? :P
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 15:10   Link #126
Grona
Big Damit!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: PEI, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClessAlvein
I'm sure plugging in an Ethernet cable and clicking a checkbox is quite a hassle. OS X integrates perfectly with Windows SMB networks, and can do file and print sharing to Windows computers this way. All you need to do is turn it on by clicking one check-box. Macs are easy, remember? :P
Its a windows network and they are not all shinny new XP boxes, unless I upgrade them I wouldent be able to access half the network. Your making alot of asumptions about what I'd have to do while not knowing anything about the circumstances 0_o
__________________
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 15:48   Link #127
Mr_Paper
Hmm...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Looking for his book...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClessAlvein
I'm sure plugging in an Ethernet cable and clicking a checkbox is quite a hassle. OS X integrates perfectly with Windows SMB networks, and can do file and print sharing to Windows computers this way. All you need to do is turn it on by clicking one check-box. Macs are easy, remember? :P
Some people just prefer PCs, it's one of those things you need to deal with. I've used Macs for just as long as I've used PCs and I prefer the look and operational feel of a PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
I've had a plain jane white case since my last build, I want somthing that isnt boring like some generic black or white case. Besides, its light and the reviews are good. It's more function over flash in this case though.

An extra suckhole near the cpu is pointless? 0_o If I wanted to cool the vid card I would just get a slot cooler. I supose the 120mm fan in the psu isnt any use either, lol. I dont even know the placement of the case yet so I might not be adding any extra side fans yet if its going to sit where this tower is.
Honestly, it's an ugly case (I prefer simple looking cases) but it does look to have excellent airflow. You don't really need to add blow holes, the most basic thing you should do is change out those fans that come with it. I've always found the supplied case fans are of low quality and airflow, even if they're 120mm fans.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 22:59   Link #128
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Milpitas, CA, USA
I think the Super Lanboy looks pretty good. They had one on display at the Fry's Electronics and it looks better in person than on the internet. It's also very light. If you want something with basically the same interior, but more traditional looking you could get the Antec SLK3700-BQE. It's made out of steel so it's heavier, which may be good or bad depending on your preferences. They also make you buy a low end Antec 350W power supply with it, unlike the Lanboy.

Spoiler for pic:
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-13, 00:27   Link #129
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
Its a windows network and they are not all shinny new XP boxes, unless I upgrade them I wouldent be able to access half the network. Your making alot of asumptions about what I'd have to do while not knowing anything about the circumstances 0_o
Did I say XP anywhere? Nope. I've used Macs with OS X on Windows 98 networks as well, and they work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Some people just prefer PCs, it's one of those things you need to deal with.
At this point I'm merely correcting mistaken assumptions about the Mac's ability to integrate into a "Windows world." I prefer my Mac for video editing work and most everyday tasks. I prefer my PC for games. I think platform choice should come down to a balance of which does what better and to delineate tasks among them.
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-13, 02:01   Link #130
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
I think the Super Lanboy looks pretty good. They had one on display at the Fry's Electronics and it looks better in person than on the internet. It's also very light. If you want something with basically the same interior, but more traditional looking you could get the Antec SLK3700-BQE. It's made out of steel so it's heavier, which may be good or bad depending on your preferences. They also make you buy a low end Antec 350W power supply with it, unlike the Lanboy.

Spoiler for pic:
My Lanboy case seems to have some heat problems. So I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend this type of case itís a larger then the Lanboy but it allows more system fans to be placed which is good for better cooling.
__________________

Last edited by Keitaro; 2004-09-13 at 14:35. Reason: Fixed link
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-13, 03:19   Link #131
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Milpitas, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
My Lanboy case seems to have some heat problems. So I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend this type of case itís a larger then the Lanboy but it allows more system fans to be placed which is good for better cooling.
Just curious, was it the old Lanboy, with the single 80mm fan intake and the single 80mm fan exhaust, or was it the Super Lanboy, with the 120mm fan intake and 120mm exhaust?

Spoiler:
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-13, 10:55   Link #132
Grona
Big Damit!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: PEI, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
My Lanboy case seems to have some heat problems. So I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend this type of case itís a larger then the Lanboy but it allows more system fans to be placed which is good for better cooling.
ahh could you give some detal of your setup?
__________________
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-13, 14:53   Link #133
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
Just curious, was it the old Lanboy, with the single 80mm fan intake and the single 80mm fan exhaust, or was it the Super Lanboy, with the 120mm fan intake and 120mm exhaust?

Spoiler:
It was the Lanboy not the super Lanboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
ahh could you give some detal of your setup?
Intel P4 2.4b, MSI 865PE Neo2 mobo, ATi 9700 Pro, Corsair 512MB DDR, 350 psu, cpu temps & board temps were abnormally high around 55C for the processor and almost 50C for the board. Took back the Antec Lanboy and bought myself one of these. Temps dropped dramatically, now processor runs around 40C idle, 45C full load, board temps 35C.

Edit: Actually those high temps I mention seems a bit too high, I don't quite remember the exact temps but I know it was too damn high for comfort.
__________________
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-13, 17:31   Link #134
Grona
Big Damit!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: PEI, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
It was the Lanboy not the super Lanboy.



Intel P4 2.4b, MSI 865PE Neo2 mobo, ATi 9700 Pro, Corsair 512MB DDR, 350 psu, cpu temps & board temps were abnormally high around 55C for the processor and almost 50C for the board. Took back the Antec Lanboy and bought myself one of these. Temps dropped dramatically, now processor runs around 40C idle, 45C full load, board temps 35C.

Edit: Actually those high temps I mention seems a bit too high, I don't quite remember the exact temps but I know it was too damn high for comfort.

Ah good, thought it was a bit weird for you to find temp probs with all the reviews I read about it being cool and quiet
__________________
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-13, 21:12   Link #135
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
Ah good, thought it was a bit weird for you to find temp probs with all the reviews I read about it being cool and quiet
Heh...my house is even air condition, currently its 76F.
__________________
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-13, 21:37   Link #136
Grona
Big Damit!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: PEI, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
Heh...my house is even air condition, currently its 76F.
What is ths air conditioning that you speak of The heaters in this house have been on for almost a month now
__________________
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-13, 21:41   Link #137
Mr_Paper
Hmm...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Looking for his book...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
What is ths air conditioning that you speak of The heaters in this house have been on for almost a month now
That's what you get for living on a sandbar.

Although I can't comment, the daily high has only been 5C for the last week. >.>
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 15:59   Link #138
~AgoN~rus
russian
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: israel
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to ~AgoN~rus
Need Advice - Getting a new computer

i need your help guys my dad is buying me a new computer but i dont know what kind of computer should i choose so i need your help to tell me what do you think are the best parts for the computer like what kind of video card should i choose? or the kind of sound card should i choose etc....
__________________
a few things you should know about me.
i live only for these things: rammstein, tae-kwon-do, linkin park, hwoarang, and muonline
~AgoN~rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 16:08   Link #139
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Age: 34
Well, first if you got all the best bits you might find that none of them are compatible. And that is avoiding the fact that "best" depends on what you want to do with them of course... Or that "best" comes at a price, how much are you / is your dad willing to spend? What do you want to use the computer for? A computer well suited to video editing might not be able to play games very well and visa versa.

Your question, as it stands, is a little vague... if you want help, help us help you give a little more info. My only general advice would be to read the hardware reviews. There are lots on the web; if you read enough you can get a fairly good idea of the good points and bad points of a product and if it will meet your needs.

Plus, you really should give your thread a more descriptive title

Edit: You might notice that I've moved and merged your thread with the current "new computer suggestions" thread (found by searching ). Maybe you'll find help in the previous posts; maybe you won't. Maybe they'll be a little out dated now, maybe they won't. The discussion can continue here either way.
__________________
Lay down on the ground, and let the tears run from you, crying to the grass and trees and heaven, finally on your knees; Let me live againÖ
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 16:48   Link #140
音楽は死んだ
Boobies≤ = Fun
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Newfoundland & Labrador
Age: 31
Send a message via Yahoo to 音楽は死んだ
I may be a bit offbase in saying this, but you should probly wait till after x-mas to head on and buy your computer. If your going the part by part route you might run into higher prices becauise of parts shortages for x-mas. I've seen ram prices and vid card rpices creep up a bit since this month started.
__________________
音楽は死んだ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.