AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-08-29, 00:43   Link #61
Kouji
StrykerX
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 32
Well, actually. You can't prove that you totally don't like the dub One Piece. When in fact that you haven't heard every character's VA.

When in fact you've also just only heard Gold Roger (the narrator), Zoro & Luffy. Just give it time (usually to a full episode's worth). Then and only then can you make your judgement if the dub is good or bad.
__________________
Kouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 00:52   Link #62
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Do you really give a damn?
Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouji
Well, actually. You can't prove that you totally don't like the dub One Piece. When in fact that you haven't heard every character's VA.

When in fact you've also just only heard Gold Roger (the narrator), Zoro & Luffy. Just give it time (usually to a full episode's worth). Then and only then can you make your judgement if the dub is good or bad.
Dude, we're talking about 4Kids here. I've seen all there dubs and none of them are good. I'm not going to lie to you, but I don't have the least bit of confidence that the will be even slightly tolerable. Yu-Gi-Oh! is the worst thinf I've even seen, Pokemon has been basterized after Kanto, Sonic X voices suck to the point of no return, and also Shaman King was so bad that I couldn't even make it through a whole episode. I don't think I can go through Luffy's voice for a whole episode, as opposed to 45 seconds.


We have absolutely no faith in 4Kids' ability to do anything right.
__________________
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 01:17   Link #63
yaoi_witchchan
GO Pr0n!!!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to yaoi_witchchan
I gotta admit, but I like Luffy's voice, it's not like a 50-year-old woman (it is true, look for Tanaka Mayumi, his NP (Nippon) Voice actor). Zoro sounds like a rapist, 'nuff said 'bout him. Gold Roger sounded a bit sad when he was about to die. Nami's voice=WTF???

But you guys don't worry, some other company will save One Piece soon, just like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King. Pok'e Mon is a WHOLE 'notha story.

Whatever you do, don't strike in front of the 4Kids building, you're gonna cause a crisis and make otaku look VERY bad (which they are in a way).
__________________
How boring.... I know! I'll pair them up!!! The power of Yaoi_Witch.
yaoi_witchchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 01:48   Link #64
A.L.
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
The 4Kids battle does not entirely count on you. Remember, they are after the views of the children, not you. The children will decided. I showed it to some kids I babysat. They kinda liked it. They just wished they could understand it.

In the end, the kids will decide what will happen.

Also, I will say this: I LOVE Luffy's voice. I don't care if I get flamed and all. In my opinion, his voice fits as best it could. Think this: In some cases of the Japanese version, he has the tone of a 50-year-old woman. His seiyuu IS a woman about fifty years old. You can look it up if you want. I'm hella sure she is. Although, he still gets the sound of a child. In the dub, he still sounds like a child.

Zoro sounds kinda unclear. I might need to put TV subtitles on him. Other than that, it should be okay depending on how they put the dialouge. We'll see how that ends up, but I doubt much.

Edits I find hard to take, though. If it was minor, like a few blood takeouts, but Sanji's candy was bad. But what can you say? Let's all pray for Smoker.
A.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 05:46   Link #65
Kouji
StrykerX
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 32
Oh yeah, I remember that VIZ did indeed pick up the DVD rights to Pokemon Advanced. Also FUNi handled the DVD release to Sonic X & Shaman King.

Also, won't we be getting the english version to the japanese theme; We Are (1st season OP).
__________________
Kouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 09:55   Link #66
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Do you really give a damn?
Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoi_witchchan
Zoro sounds like a rapist, 'nuff said 'bout him.
Holy crap! I never thought of it that way, but now that I think about it he's not shady, he's a rapist/murderer.



Quote:
But you guys don't worry, some other company will save One Piece soon, just like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King. Pok'e Mon is a WHOLE 'notha story.
I hate to break it to you, but Yu-Gi-Oh! can't be saved in any language. It was doomed then, and it's doomed now, but Shaman King got its ass saved, also I want Japanese Pokemon Kanto! :holds sign saying "Release Pokemon in Japanese:

Quote:
Whatever you do, don't strike in front of the 4Kids building, you're gonna cause a crisis and make otaku look VERY bad (which they are in a way).
Oh well, it will make the otaku of the anime look bad, not all of us in a whole. It's their reputation at sake, and if they feel they should ruin it, then let them get stupid. Besides Nelvana is our main target! They killed CCS. :shakes fist: Damn anime killing bastards!


Voices heard:

Luffy = Wakkawakkado!

Zorro = Rapist Wolverine

Gold Roger = Depressed man


Predictions:

Nami = Miss bitchy voice

Sanji = Gay French guy who smokes a lollipop :No smokem for j00:



My predictions for the other voices.
__________________
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 17:46   Link #67
A.L.
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
I hate to break it to you, but Yu-Gi-Oh! can't be saved in any language. It was doomed then, and it's doomed now, but Shaman King got its ass saved, also I want Japanese Pokemon Kanto! :holds sign saying "Release Pokemon in Japanese:
But I read something that Yu-Gi-Oh was saved, the first series, that is. The now Yu-Gi-Oh is beyond saving at the moment. I'm not too sure, but supposedly, they're going to put out uncut Yu-Gi-Oh first series.

I have very low hopes for Pokemon. It seems too deep into the evil for it to be saved.

Oh, and Zoro DOES sound like a rapist.

And since Zoro sounds like Wolverine, does that make Sanji sound like Gambit?
__________________
Chosen Hopeless Nothingness
A.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 18:57   Link #68
Imaginer
WTFBBQ?
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.
But I read something that Yu-Gi-Oh was saved, the first series, that is. The now Yu-Gi-Oh is beyond saving at the moment. I'm not too sure, but supposedly, they're going to put out uncut Yu-Gi-Oh first series.

I have very low hopes for Pokemon. It seems too deep into the evil for it to be saved.

Oh, and Zoro DOES sound like a rapist.

And since Zoro sounds like Wolverine, does that make Sanji sound like Gambit?
Actually that might be a good match voice wise if Sanji had something similar with Gambit's voice.
__________________
Imaginer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 19:33   Link #69
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 東京
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed
Know whats funny? The 4kids slogan is 'we know what kids like'. *flesh burns off face*
They can keep telling themselves that if it'll make them feel better.
and.. they called the ship the "Merry Go"?? omgwtfbbq?! I hate VIZ.
4kids ruined Zorro's sexy voice. Nuuuuu!!! I'm glad they pronounced Rufi correctly, though. I thought they would have said "luh-fee" .. thats one point for them.
__________________
Sig removed by Mod (xris) because it exceeds the limits as requested in the forum rules. See this post as well. Second warning, third may get you a ban.

Last edited by MidoriShinobi; 2004-08-29 at 19:45.
MidoriShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 22:42   Link #70
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Know whats funny? The 4kids slogan is 'we know what kids like'. *flesh burns off face*
Ouch! That has to hurt.

I think 4kids is onto something when they say "we know what kids like." They are probably talking about those kids who have never watched a single fansub. I am trying to think of a number that would account for those kids that will watch the show for the first time. Yeah, Luffy may sound like a whining bitch and Zorro's voice may not have the same confidence (most likely has been done by a castrated voice actor) but hey, those millions of kids (the number I was thinking of) that will watch the show for the first time will not compare against the original Japanese voices. It just us folks that had the privilege and the means to watch it via Fansub are bitching and whining. We are only a handful of lucky people that can compare, against millions of potential OP fan that will watch the show for the first time. See, 4kid is onto something.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 23:50   Link #71
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 東京
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
You're right, but it doesn't change the fact that the CEO of 4kids touches himself while cutting out lines, and selecting the crappiest VAs they can find.
__________________
Sig removed by Mod (xris) because it exceeds the limits as requested in the forum rules. See this post as well. Second warning, third may get you a ban.
MidoriShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-30, 04:50   Link #72
Kouji
StrykerX
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 32
The CEO must be sick to think that low. I mean, 4Kids didn't even take into consider the future seasons of the series. Which are technically not meant for the younger audience. Though, the best thing is to not watch the anime. Which if not a whole lot of kids watch One Piece, the ratings would sink. And this would definitely would put a dent in 4Kids.

Though, I bet you guys would be more than happy if you heard that Bandai had this anime instead. Because Bandai mostly has (if not all of it's animes) really great voice acting. Which I can atest to this, because I have both seen Scryed, half of Infinite Ryvius & Wolf's Rain. And I must say that Bandai's doing a good job. Thanks due to companies like ZRO Limit or Animaze backing the dub company up.
__________________
Kouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-30, 11:44   Link #73
HopelessLover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
It doesn't even matter if foxbox has it or not because every body know's one piece is still being fansubbed and where to get it.
__________________
Oh Look, NightWish has banned me because I thought I'd be funny and make light of Xris's signature warnings. When will I learn ...
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-30, 13:14   Link #74
Kouji
StrykerX
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 32
True, but I hope that the same thing happens to One Piece like speaking DVD wise. Because with Shaman King, you get to have two tracks (japanese/english including the english subtitles)
__________________
Kouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 15:56   Link #75
eLstar
(^_^)v
 
Join Date: May 2003
Well according to some magazine, they say they worked closely with the Japanese creators of the Anime to bring One Piece to North America and every edit they've done has been approved by those who work on the Anime in Japan.

Personally, I'm not sure whether to believe it or not. But one thing is for sure it's definitely not off to a good start. However, I'm just glad that 4kids isn't completely heartless in that they're man enough to let other companies distribute uncensored versions of both Shaman King AND Yu-gi-oh! You've got to finally give them props for that.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 20:41   Link #76
Kouji
StrykerX
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 32
No kidding. Hey, who knows. There might actually be a future for them in months to come. Though, I couldn't say the same for Naruto (that is if 4kids decides to jack the anime).
__________________
Kouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 21:10   Link #77
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Do you really give a damn?
Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranz
However, I'm just glad that 4kids isn't completely heartless in that they're man enough to let other companies distribute uncensored versions of both Shaman King AND Yu-gi-oh! You've got to finally give them props for that.

Shaman King: Maybe

Yu-Gi-Oh!: No

Yu-Gi-Oh! could be in any language and it would still suck because the premise is the same. Just to be a 25 minute commercial for a card game which is extremely overrated. I can't believe I hrew away the last bits of my sanity watching a full seaon of that crap. Just shoot me now please.


How many anime must they kill before they're satified? Hell, we're not even sure if it's uncut. It might have dubtitles just to rip us off. We can't be sure they did a good job until we buy and watch the DVDs. I don't care what they promised because sometimes they lie to us, so we can't be sure about what they say.
__________________
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 22:00   Link #78
Kouji
StrykerX
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 32
In any case. The worse, is yet to happen. Come this fall in the FOX BOX. In your guys' case, you can feel free to laugh at the horrible dubbing that has befallin 4Kids' rendition of One Piece.
__________________
Kouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 00:13   Link #79
chaoz
I see all and pwn all
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 29
Luffy's voice when he's doing gomu gomu go reminds of Woody the Wood Pecker.
__________________
chaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 03:38   Link #80
Kouji
StrykerX
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 32
Well, as for Zoro's voice. For me, at least isn't that bad. But as for the rest of the characters. I would just need to get the hang of. And since it's a somewhat kiddy anime I can picture that the narrator also be the voice of Yami Yugi.

Who knows, maybe things may not seem as they appear in the commercial. Like some fans (fans of the original) might get to like some of the acting (this' saying some, not all ).
__________________
Kouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.